Start by marking “Omega City (Omega City, #1)” as Want to Read:
Omega City (Omega City, #1)

Omega City

(Omega City #1)

Gillian Seagret doesn't listen to people who say her father's a crackpot. His conspiracy theories about the lost technology of Cold War–era rocket scientist Dr. Aloysius Underberg may have cost him his job and forced them to move to the middle of nowhere, but Gillian knows he's right and plans to prove it.

When she discovers a missing page from Dr. Underberg's diary in her
Published April 28th 2015 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Omega City, please sign up.
La La There was a short boring segment near the beginning, but once the action started it it was fabulous!

Start your review of Omega City (Omega City, #1)
Faye, la Patata
THIS IS OUT NOW!!!!

I'm sure that everyone is well aware that the Middle Grade demographic has a lot of adventure books. We have Rick Riordan for example, or the Seven Wonders series by Peter Larangis, and it feels like a new one pops out every year, all following a bunch of kids try to save the world or solve an extremely old riddle that would lead to a secret civilization or something. I love that kind of premise (National Treasure, anybody? That one with Nicolas Cage? I watched that countl
Wendy Darling
Goonies meets City of Ember? Sold!

(view spoiler)["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>
Rane
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it

'Omega City' by Diana Peterfreund quickly became one of my new favorite adventure books! Plus, it's comparison to one of my all time favorite movies 'The Goonies' didn't hurt either!
Unlike lost pirate treasure, this treasure comes from a scientist who worked at the height of the Cold War- Dr. Underberg, whose worked was the better man. Until one day his simply vanish or died leaving behind alot of unanswered questions.
Gillian Seagret's father career has recently been ruined after his Dr.Und
Katherine
”Great idea, Gillian. Just get the pizza delivery guy to drive his little brother, you, and two of the people you love most in this world out into the middle of nowhere to look for something bad guys with a lot of power are willing to ruin lives over. There’s no way this could all go wrong.”

Synopsis: Just when Steve Harrington thought he was done keeping those little shitheads safe, they stumble upon a Cold War conspiracy instead, prompting him to gather up his nailed baseball bats and b
Susana
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Younger readers

Arc provided by Balzer + Bray through Edelweiss

Release Date: April 28th

The author's series "For Darkness shows the Stars" _ well I hope it is a series, and not a duology _ is amongst my favourites reads, so despite this being labelled as a middle grade story, I couldn't resist requesting it.

Also I've read pretty amazing books labelled as middle grade oriented, so I had pretty high expectactions for this book.

What I found was truly a middle grade story.

.................

Can I compl
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Review originally posted at Mostly YA Lit

Omega City has been described as similar to City of Embers and The Goonies, and having Googled these movies (didn't watch them - I KNOW, the Goonies is on my list), I think this description is very apt. It's a rollicking adventure full of surprises, twists and turns. I would describe it as X-Files meets Indiana Jones for 8-12 year olds .

One of Diana's strengths has always been complex plotlines that weave together seamlessly , and this one is no dif
Kate Willis
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, sci-fi
Clever, clever! This book was kinda National Treasure meets The City of Ember, and that pretty much equals awesome.

The characters were fun. They had inside jokes, some messy dynamics (I’ll get into that later), and a lot of cool family loyalty. The main character--Gillian, Howard, and Private Pizza (Nate) were my favorites. I especially loved Private Pizza protecting everyone and trying to help Gillian understand his brother Howard better. (Loved how that turned out! Score. :D ) And his sarcasm
Jessica
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What's that you say? This book doesn't even come out for six months? So how could I possibly review it?

Well, HA HAHAHAHAHAHA! I got to read the manuscript!

Sorry, just had to gloat for a minute. I love Peterfreund's YA books, so naturally when Balzer & Bray asked if I would possibly blurb the book, I jumped at the chance to read this middle grade novel in advance.

And I was not disappointed.

This is a fantastic adventure that went in directions I absolutely did not expect. Since this was a bound
Beth
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Ehhhh. There's some interesting worldbuilding here, but absolutely no character growth, which really irks me; I kept waiting for someone, anyone, to make a mistake, and no one did. And the characters are pretty unrealistic to begin with.

Also, this book explained the Cold War. At least three times. I feel old and talked down to simultaneously.
Dark Faerie Tales
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Seeing the children explore such the strange but wonderful Omega City was deliciously satisfying.

Opening Sentence: It started with a fire.

The Review:

Gillian’s father has been ruined. He’s been a popular author and historian for years, but when his primary source for his newest book was destroyed by the water pipes flooding, he had no evidence to back himself up when people started calling his theories a fraud. But Gillian is starting to think th
Julie
Feb 20, 2014 marked it as to-read
This sounds amazing!

description
K.A. Linde
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
So so awesome! I read it in one sitting and loved how much it reminded me of the Goonies!
Brandy Painter
Originally posted here at Random Musings of a bibliophile.

Omega City is Diana Peterfreund's first MG novel. Billed on Goodreads as City of Ember meets The Goonies, my expectations were pretty high. The Goonies is one of my all time favorite movies. And this book delivered on that promise. Big time.

Gillian's father is in disgrace. He wrote a book about famous scientist Aloysius Underberg that was immediately discredited and that he couldn't back up because a broken pipe destroyed all of his resea
Nara
Omega City is one of those books that are kind of unrealistic- the kind of book where you just can't take everything seriously. I feel like this is fine considering it's a middle grade novel, and supposed to be exciting and "unrealistic" in the sense that it's not something that would happen to the average person. But I can't say that this didn't impair my enjoyment of the the novel a little bit, because it did, however much I tried to escape it.

Omega City is an adventure novel, and it definitel
Amy B
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. This book fell just a little flat for me, unfortunately. I wondered if I was just too old to enjoy it, but no, I enjoy many middle grade and even children's books, so I think this story was just missing a little OOMPH.

It was almost as if Peterfreund was trying to make it too safe and that made it less enjoyable. I imagine it's really difficult to find the right balance between being too stressful or too lackadaisical, but I found that the presence of an older person (Nate) prevented
Ilana
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I needed to change it up a bit and find some more YA to read and i'm a fan of Diana Peterfruend so i figured no harm in reading this series. So what we have is the intro to a story that takes us on a journey of a family that's been broken apart because their father is an author of a book that tried to debunk mysteries behind a scientists work and his notes were destroyed so he can't prove the facts. Because of this, their mom left, the kids have had a rough life moving away from what they know a ...more
Karsyn
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really really enjoyed this book. A little bit of a slow buildup, but once they got to Omega City (30% into it) it really picked up and was enjoyable. I liked the characters, they weren't perfect but they were good characters over all, I really really liked the City, it was quite unique and I enjoyed their exploration of it. Definitely will read more.
Kayla Smith
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: t2
When Dr. Aloysius Underberg may have Gillian's, father fired and force them to move. Gillian finds something on her father's desk that may help her father. Gillian, her brother Eric and her two friends go on a crazy adventure to help Gillian's father and they will stop at nothing to bring Dr. Aloysius Underberg down. Read Omega city to find out what happens.
Saruuh Kelsey
Continuing the trend of this years fine-but-not-amazing middle grade, Omega City is a pretty okay story. The mystery has lots of twists and turns but I did see a lot of them coming, some things were fairly fun (rocket; scuba diving up a lift chute) but I wasn't that interested, the characters are fine even if they don't stand out, but they do have a genuine motive for what they do, even if it's just wanting to get out of the city, or Gillian wanting to clear her dad's name. I liked that it wasn' ...more
Jacob
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
An impulse pickup from the library because one of the librarians put it on the "Featured Kids Books" shelf. My older two kids both read it and liked it, and I kept putting it off (and renewing it) for almost three months. It has to go back by next week at the latest so I finally decided to try it. I should have read it sooner! My kids were right: this is very good. Thanks to the librarian who featured it! Also, I'm sorry I've kept it out of circulation for three months.

It's been described as "Go
Leah (Jane Speare)
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Diana Peterfreund can do middle-grade!

(But please write more older books too.)

When 12-year old Gillian and her friends embark on a search for the "hundred-year battery," their motive is just to clear their dad's reputation, but what they find is more than they could ever have imagined. Many gems are tucked into this wonderful adventure novel: Cold War conspiracy theories, and lost treasures, and more. It's full of puzzles and riddles like those in The Mysterious Benedict Society, as well as exc
La La
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars on my blog. The beginning of the story was quirky and interesting, and draws you in, but then between 11% and 32% the set up for the adventure is too long and repetitive and gets boring. This is why I have subtracted .5 stars from my blog rating. I am a little concerned that some MG readers might stop reading during this section and miss out on the rest of the book. However, once the actual adventure starts, it is action packed and induces nail-bitting! My son would have been thrilled ...more
Saowbia (Ever the Reader)
Meh? Not really. I loved the historical fiction aspect especially in a middle grade story talking about the Cold War. The relationship with Gillian and Eric was very sweet. I hated Savannah and how she pretended to be "dumb." I guess the point was to show people how intelligent you really are and you don't pretend to be anyone else. Although, these days kids try to appear superior than others, so again not sure how that concept fits in. Overall, another adventurous historical fiction story. Is i ...more
Katie
A different kind of book for Peterfreund. I wouldn't have guessed it was by her!

I thought the first part of this was a LOT of fun, but I'm not a huge fan of the action part of action-adventure books, so the second half dragged for me. It just seemed to go on and on.

I liked the characters, though. I'll read the next one, I think.
Steven
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was absolutely amazing! It did start out a little bit slow, but once it picked up pace, I couldn't put it down! I have read it several times now, but last night I read the whole thing. Took me until about 1 AM, which probably wasn't the best idea with the Spanish test in the morning...

WARNING: SPOILERS.

This book is about a group of five kids who were searching for a lost invention of the Cold War era scientist Dr. Underberg. However, they find something much bigger than they
Caitlyn Mathew
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Okay, Diana Peterfreund is a genius for coming up with this. And Dr. Underburg is awesome. The everlasting battery? Such a great idea! I wonder if it could actually exist. Gillian and Eric got scuba diving training and they're only twelve!! No fair. I wonder if Fiona would appreciate a pen to the stomach. It can go right through. I happened to know that from action movies. Not actual trial. Well, now onto searching for 'The Forbidden Fortress'.
Michele
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
great middle grader book about siblings and friends going on an adventure to discover a lost city. mystery and action and derring bits of bravery along with nice reminders about the importance of friendship and family. one character presents on the spectrum and it's great to see how the author preaches inclusion and for others to learn to communicate.
Libby May
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars, i-own
So good! I loved the story and the characters, the plot, the idea. And the point towards the end leading into the second book was soo hooking. I can't wait for my library to get the sequel in. It was fast paced, intense, mystery, survival and of course villains added to the stress level. XD personally I enjoyed it a lot.
Edwin McRae
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
To be honest, I couldn’t finish this book. It’s well written, the characters are interesting and the dialogue is good. I think it’s just that the concept itself didn’t grab me. It didn’t grab my daughter’s attention either. Dunno...I don’t think Cold War conspiracies are all that interesting to young adult readers.
Ry Herman
A reasonably fun, but ultimately slight adventure story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Mark of the Dragonfly (World of Solace, #1)
  • Framed! (Framed #1)
  • The Fog Diver (The Fog Diver, #1)
  • The Girl Who Could Not Dream
  • Moving Target (Moving Target, #1)
  • The Luck Uglies (The Luck Uglies, #1)
  • Pip Bartlett's Guide to Magical Creatures (Pip Bartlett, #1)
  • All the Answers
  • The Eighth Day (Eighth Day, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
  • Capture the Flag (Silver Jaguar Society Mysteries #1)
  • Vanished! (Framed #2)
  • The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles
  • The Unbreakable Code (Book Scavenger, #2)
  • The Alcatraz Escape (Book Scavenger, #3)
  • I See Me (Oracle #1)
  • It Ain't So Awful, Falafel
  • The Thirteenth Princess
Diana Peterfreund has been a costume designer, a cover model, and a food critic. Her travels have taken her from the cloud forests of Costa Rica to the underground caverns of New Zealand (and as far as she’s concerned, she’s just getting started). Diana graduated from Yale University in 2001 with dual degrees in Literature and Geology, which her family claimed would only come in handy if she wrote ...more

Omega City (3 books)
  • The Forbidden Fortress (Omega City #2)
  • Infinity Base (Omega City #3)