Start by marking “Chocolate and Zucchini: Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Chocolate and Zucchini: Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen

Chocolate and Zucchini: Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen

Clotilde Dusoulier is a twenty-seven-year-old Parisian who adores sharing her love of all things food-related—recipes, inspirations, restaurant experiences, and above all the pleasure of cooking with the fresh ingredients found in her local Montmartre shops. But her infatuation with food was born not in her mother’s Parisian kitchen, but in San Francisco, where she moved a ...more
Published May 15th 2007 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Chocolate and Zucchini, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chocolate and Zucchini

Start your review of Chocolate and Zucchini: Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen
Tod Dimmick
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's not all that often that I come across a cookbook that speaks directly to me, so when my friend Marcia gave us this slim volume, I was a bit skeptical.

But Clotilde Dusoulier's Chocolate and Zucchini is just such a book. It's not just the recipes, based on straightforward combinations of a limited number of fresh local vegetables, nor the methods, which are generally simple (4 or 5 steps). It's that Dusoulier also brings her passion for the story: What's behind each ingredient, and each recipe, inform
Susan
Dec 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I'd been reading the author's cooking blog for quite awhile before discovering that her recently published cookbook was available at the library. She's a Parisian woman in her late 20's who spent some time living in the U.S.; her recipes give U.S. measurements and contain ingredients easy to find here. Her blog contains some great recipes (I like the lentils with tofu, cumin & apples.) I think she's written a delightful small book, with little stories provided before each recipe, lots of gre ...more
Daisy
Jun 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Daisy by: 101cookbooks.com
Shelves: cookbooks
I can't say anything yet about the efficacy of the recipes because I haven't tried any out. I've marked at least a dozen that look interesting to me. But this book is not entirely successful as an accessible collection. I like it better when the photographs accompany the recipes and don't come in a bunch pages later. Also the photographs also aren't as flattering as they might be, I'm sorry to say. They look a little sterile and arranged, studio-like instead of real-life. And the pages are too b ...more
Mia
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: cooking
I love her blog. I love to read recipes and the ones in this cookbook are making me want to get into the kitchen and start cooking. Actually they are making me want to move to either Paris or somewhere on the continent where I can find a year round farmer's marker and people who appreciate cooking according to the seasons. I am anxious to try the pasta recipe with cacao nibs in it.
Livia Frossard
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a lovely book. Simple, straightforward recipes. Delightful flavors. The author just makes you want to be her best friend so you can both cook together.
Paige
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Delightful recipes.
Erika
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I'd never heard of Dusoulier's blog/website until I saw this book in my neighborhood faux French shop. So, I borrowed it from the library, was hooked, and immediately bought a copy to keep.

The recipes are not the type I would usually make - due to various food hang-ups I have, for example, I would never eat a peaches and hazelnut chicken salad. I would eat each separately, but not mixed together. Other recipes I would not try simply because I will not eat raw steak
Iris
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Quelle merveille ton curry! Does Frenchness get better than this? Charming patter introduces each section of simple and unpretentious recipes, mostly made with readily available ingredients. The instructions for each recipe are chatty and very helpful; and if you need nice photos of the end result, they are all here, taken by the author's own camera.

The author took the slightest interest in food only after moving to the United States; upon return to Paris, she started food blogging, and the boo
Jojo
Jul 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I do not normally just sit around reading cookbooks, and I did not intend to read this one. I just picked it up to glance through it and see what recipes there were, but before I knew it I had just sat there and finished the whole thing. And it was delightful! Which was expected, as I'm familiar with her blog and have been delighted by it in the past (two recipes from there make regular appearances in my cooking repertoire, and countless others have been bookmarked or jotted down or printed out ...more
Shantiwallah
Dec 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in cooking and recipes with a background story
Shelves: food
I'd been following Clotilde's blog for about a year when her first book was released and I ordered it from Amazon to be delivered to me in Japan. Living in Asia, part of the fascination was undoubtedly just the craving of non-Japanese food in any form. Had I been in any other country, I'm not sure if I would have followed the blog for so long, or indeed have ordered the book.

But, I do like the style of the book. If I ever write my cookbook, this is exactly how I'd planned to do it...with storie
Elle
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It started with a bag of fresh-picked apples from Bishop's Orchard and the desire to make a dessert. Sitting there shyly amid my other few cookbooks was this gem, a gift I hadn't spent much time with. How could I have overlooked that half the cookbook offered recipes for dessert? And not just any desserts, French desserts, that turn out to be delicious and easy to make. I started with the gateau de maman, the tarte tatin, the tomate tarte. The book has taught me how easy and good it is to make m ...more
Sabrina Moser
Jul 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone in to French food who isn't in to innards
Shelves: justfinished
My new all-time favorite cookbook by a 27-year-old Parisian with the wonderful name Clothilde. Reading her notes and recipes is like standing in the kitchen chatting with your best friend. She tells story after story from her very real-sounding life in Paris and her prose lacks the snub artificiality of her celebrity chef counterparts. No, Clotilde is just a regular old gal who happens to love food and cooking. She also has a great sense of humor. As for the recipes, they are fantastic with top ...more
Dayna
Jan 03, 2009 rated it liked it
This cookbook wasn't as tickle-your-tastebuds amazing as I thought it would be, but it is good. I love the insights into real French cooking (not all of them are gourmets). Clotilde Dusoulier's writing is entertaining, and the recipes are super easy to follow ... in fact, what I like best about this cookbook is that most of the recipes are simple. And they are adaptable, so if you don't have one kind of ingredient you can always substitute another. This is a fun, and even practical, cookbook to ...more
Kristen Northrup
Dec 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, own, food
I feel a little guilty rating a cookbook without actually testing the recipes first, but it was a really nice read. And beautifully designed. I've never read the blog, although I'd heard of it. I loved the idea of a French person being uninterested in cuisine until moving to the U.S. -- it seems so upside-down. Really enjoyed the irreverent writing (and that's supposed to be very hard to pull off in a second language). So many recipes are so simple, and don't require anything exotic. Best of all ...more
Lori
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: petprojects
The hubby and I have fallen in love. Ouef cocotte, hazelnut and thyme matchsticks, apple and broccoli quiche, tomato tarte tatin, the beouf bourgingon with chocolate? All wonderful. Only one dish fell flat, the zucchini and cocoa nib pasta. There's plenty more to discover, but we've gained loads of keepers from this slim volume.

Update: I attempted the apple cake. It's delicious, but barely holds together. I'm thinking there's a difference in the flour that's not conveyed in the conve
Hester
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
one of my favorite cookbooks. not big, not exhaustive, ostensibly nothing revolutionary here. but i turn to it all the time. elegant and easy dishes that always turn out tasty. as with every cookbook, it has to fit your aesthetic--in this case, french(ish) food (for the most part)--but it's deceptively versatile and everything is good. best parts? aperitifs and sides. some outstanding savory baking!!!
Caroline
Dec 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook reads much differently than most. Dusoulier includes stories and tips that also give her blog its unique character. While reading Chocolate and Zucchini, I found myself actually imagining/smelling/hearing the cooking process, the physical properties of the ingredients coming together. I especially enjoy Dusoulier's combination of traditional French cuisine and whimsical experimental creations. What a wonderful book - I'm excited for her next one!
Emma Roberts
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook-shelf
This book is fantastic. Dusoulier has a writing style similar to Amanda Hesser, food writer from the New York Times. This is particularly well written considering her native language is French.

Dusoulier's book is based on her blog that chronicles her return to France/Paris from San Francisco where she fell in love with food. The foods that she cooks are interesting and original - not your run of the mill fare.
Lisa
Jan 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Ellen
Shelves: food
Food blogger first, author second just like Molly Winzenberg. Yet, this is quite different from Molly's A Homemade Life. Where Molly's feels like personal essays introducing you to important events in her life, with the food serving as a unifying theme or in support of the event, Clotilde's reads more like a cookbook with short insights into the technique or ingredient. Not bad; just different. I am looking forward to trying a few of her recipes and promise to report back.
Alyssa
Jul 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Was hoping for this to be more like a Homemade Life with stories as the heart of the book. Instead, it's more focused on recipes--and very Parisian ones at that--that I wasn't too interested in. Just wasn't what I was looking for, though I do find it cute how both books were written by bloggers who love food and Paris.
melissa
May 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Eh. At first I thought I was in love. The culinary adventures of a 20-something Parisenne who fell in love with food while living in San Francisco. Turns out to be a collection of mediocre recipes, the likes of which could probably be found, and much more expertly created, in the Les Halles cookbook. The author has a blog as well but I've yet to check it out.
Paige
Apr 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-writing
Back in my foodblogging days, I'd meant to read this ages ago, so when I found it at Brum Central, it was an omen. Or fortuitous. Or something.

That said, I really wish this had less recipes and more writing--Dusoulier's passion for food comes out in her stories and explanations, and this book could stand to contain more. I know that's why I go to food blogs in the first place.
Cynthia
Jan 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: adventurous cooks.
Recommended to Cynthia by: Clotide's blog, but it was a Christmas gift.
Great fun read. Although I probably won't be tackling Chicken Liver and Fig Tartine, I love Clotide's spirit and ambition for her recipes. And I love that she's convinced that I will love Chicken Liver and Fig Tartine. I am excited to try the Apricot and Lavender Compote which I'm sure will be heavenly.
Emira Mears
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recipes
This book is wonderful in practically every way. Filled with simple recipes that profile fresh tasty ingredients rather than a lot of unnecessary schmanciness. The only things that hold me back from a full on five star review are:

1. Too much meat for a veggie like me, but that's not really her fault now is it?
2. Makes me wish I lived in Paris. Again, not her fault.
Shanna
Jul 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, francophile
She gives really great anecdotes/factoids and supplies a wine recommendation for each meal, but like in her blog, she suggests a lot of foods that don't really interest me. There are a bunch of great recipes in here, though, and Clotilde is generally lovely/adorable.
Kip
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet, fun cookbook. Does not pretend to have a theme other than "things I like to cook". I've made the yogurt cake, the hazelnut balls, the gougeres, chicken salad with peaches and hazelnuts. All lovely.
Jeanne
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is based on the popular blog written by Clotilde Dusoulier, about her cooking adventures in Paris. I think I was looking for more of a narrative and not a cookbook with a few paragraphs of narrative. Some of the recipes sound good, and all are very "Frenchy."
Lucy
Nov 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Clotilde's recipes are a bit wordy for me. When I am cooking, I need to have it really spelled out for me so I can't deal with a lot of commentary, however charming. The only recipe I pulled off decently from this was the lemon cookies.
Agathafrye
Dec 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
Pretty good cookbook, a little heavy on the meat features for my liking but there are some great vegetarian recipes and sweets as well. I like Clotilde's blog, also named Chocolate & Zucchini, a lot (better than the book, I've gotta say).
Michelle
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: french, nonfiction
I really enjoyed the French recipes here that are simple. I have yet to try a soufflé but I have always loved chocolate zucchini bread and it tastes like cake. The cake recipe in here reminds me of it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier
  • Giada's Kitchen: New Favorites from Everyday Italian
  • Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes
  • Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes
  • The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
  • Conspiracy of Ravens (The Shadow, #2)
  • The Joy of Cooking
  • Baking: From My Home to Yours
  • Hello, Cupcake
  • How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
  • Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast: 250 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Any Time of Day
  • One Up On Wall Street: How to Use What You Already Know to Make Money in the Market
  • Six Feet of the Country
  • Call for the Dead (George Smiley #1)
  • The Penguin Book of Witches
  • Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again
  • Can You Ever Forgive Me?: Memoirs of a Literary Forger
Clotilde Dusoulier is a Parisian author and blogger who lives in Montmartre and shares her passion for all things food-related -- thoughts, recipes, musings, cookbook acquisitions, quirky ingredients, nifty tools, restaurant experiences, ideas, and inspirations.