Start by marking “Silver Bay” as Want to Read:
Silver Bay

Silver Bay

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  15,972 ratings  ·  1,409 reviews
Alternate cover edition for ISBN 9780340895931

Liza McCullen will never escape her past. But the unspoilt beaches and tight-knit community of Silver Bay offer the freedom and safety she craves - if not for herself, then for her young daughter, Hannah.

Until Mike Dormer arrives as a guest in her aunt's hotel, and the peace of Silver Bay is shattered. The mild-mannered English
Published by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Bay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Bay

·  15,972 ratings  ·  1,409 reviews

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I think fans of Moyes' Me Before You are going to be disappointed with this one.

"Me Before You" was one of my favorite reads of last year. It was beautiful, heartbreaking, and completely unputdownable. This one had a very different feel and I had a difficult time getting into the story.

"Silver Bay" is a slow-paced women's fiction book that focuses on life in a sleepy seaside town. Much of the book's plot revolves around the local marine life in Silver Bay, and there were some beautiful, atmosph
Suzanne
As in many aspects of my life, I need to modernise! This one was a CD audio, but missed a chapter or too as it was bumpy. I’m used to this happening with the kids DVD’s all the time, BUT NOT MY BOOK THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Another enjoyable contemporary read, I have read a few like this lately. This is nowhere in the league of The Ship of Brides but it was good for what it was. A nice enjoyable story covering various issues of the day – conservation, domestic violence, ethics and property developmen
Duchess Nicole
This is a book about a family of women and the man who inadvertently falls in love with all of them. No, it's not as creepy as it sounds. Mike is a big shot developer for a London based company. He's sent to Silver Bay to scope out this quaint little seaside town as a potential spot for a major resort.

The tiny inn that he stays in is also the home of Kathleen, Liza, and Hanna...Aunt, Mother, and daughter. Kathleen is a seventy six year old "shark girl"...her claim to fame...Liza runs a whale/dol
Sharon
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Jojo Moyes books but I thought this one was a bit slow to begin with and it took me some time to get into it. But once I was nearly half way through I really started to enjoy it and was glad I kept on reading it.

Liza lives and works with her family in Silver Bay. They run a small hotel in the area which they've had for many years and they also take tourists out on the boats to do a spot of whale and dolphin watching hoping to catch a glimpse of the most beautiful creatures of the
☮Karen
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good light look at a small whale and dolphin watching community in New South Wales and the repercussions, both environmental and personal, when outsiders seek to interfere for the purpose of profit. So many topics are covered in this engaging story: Love of all kinds, community, family, overcoming adversity.

From the epilogue, which summed it up perfectly:

Look out at the sea for long enough and its moods and frenzies, and its beauties and terrors, and you'll have all the stories you need. Of lo
Cititor Necunoscut
O poveste înduioșătoare de dragoste, pe fundalul luptei unor localnici de a-și păstra oaza de liniște în mirificul Silver Bay. O poveste de dragoste ce trece în planul doi, atunci când soarta unei comunități este în joc, iar femeia pe care o iubești este amenințată de trecut. O carte care îi face chiar și pe cei mai cinici să își reconsidere socotelile cu privire la profit vs. natură.

Recenzia mea completa este aici http://www.cititornecunoscut.ro/2018/...
Theresa Alan
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this as much as I loved Me Before You. There were a lot of twists and turns I didn’t see coming, and the story made me tear up several times.

Mike comes to Silver Bay in Australia intent on building a huge 5-star hotel that emphasizes water sports like water skiing and jet skiing in the bay. He stays at the run-down inn of 76-year-old Kathleen Whittier Gaines, her niece Liza, and Liza’s 11-year-old daughter, Hannah. Liza owns a boat and takes passengers out to see dolphins and whales. Mik
Tracy
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only got 27% through this and had to stop. I've read three other books by Jojo Moyes and loved them. This one, however, was not great. First of all, it needs an editor. The story was disjointed, there were inconsistencies, and it was just giving me a headache. I wanted to finish it... I was interested in the story: set in a small fishing village in Australia, which I found interesting.... But just too choppy. I couldn't make myself read another 73%. So now I'm moving on to another book set in ...more
Penny
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This is another solid book from Jojo Moyes. This one is about a small community in Australia whose welfare is based on whale watching. A large developer decides to built an enormous facility that will change the whole community and the locals lives forever. Unfortunately the man sent by the developer falls in love with the place as it is and then helps the locals fight it.

As usual Moyes' strength is in creating characters that feel real and quirky and with whom the reader is engaged. In this par
Kateřina Petrusová
Moc fajn oddechovka, která má pomalejší rozjezd, ale na konci umí vyrazit dech. Nutně potřebuju do Austrálie pozorovat velryby! :-)
Olga Kowalska (WielkiBuk)
Kiedy w moje ręce trafia opowieść, w której to morze czy ocean odgrywają najważniejszą rolę, a której fabuła obraca się wokół małej nadmorskiej społeczności, to trudno jest mi przejść obok takiego tytułu obojętnie. A kiedy to historia spod pióra Jojo Moyes, to zacieram ręce z zadowolenia i z wyczekiwaniem zanurzam się w lekturze. Po raz kolejny nie zawiodłam się!

Moyes to autorka, która potrafi pisać diabelnie życiowe opowieści, takie, w których los drwi z człowieka, nic sobie nie robi z jego nie
Pilar
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No es de las historias que más me han gustado de Jojo. Escribe muy bien y de eso no hay duda pero esta historia ha terminado de llegarme, es emotiva y con unos personajes con una gran carga personal, pero, tal vez, al estar narrada desde tantas voces narrativas, no he podido empatizar del todo con ninguna.
Anca Rucareanu
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silver Bay este o plasă pescărească alcătuită din fire unice, povești de viață, bucăți de realitate puse laolaltă cu talent, dedicare și implicare.  Silver Bay  ne vorbește despre oameni dedicați și despre toate sacrificiile de care sunt capabili pentru lucrurile pe care le iubesc. Vă recomand cartea dacă sunteți în căutare de o poveste frumoasă și relaxantă, dar mai ales dacă sunteți îndrăgostiți de sunetul valurilor și de plimbările cu tălpile goale pe nisip.
Carina Carvalho
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Ao ler um livro de Jojo Moyes irei sempre procurar a emoção que vivi ao ler o "viver depois de ti". Ainda não foi neste... E talvez nem seja justo para com a escritora. Mas ás vezes é assim, escritores ficam ligamos a livros que nos marcam e vamos sempre á procura dessa emoção. Ainda assim foi um livro que adorei embora ache que o final foi abrupto. Um livro que até é extenso merecia um final mais primoroso.
Arlene
Rating clarification: 3.5 stars

I've been a huge fan of Jojo Moyes since she broke my heart with her amazing novel Me Before You, so it's no surprise that I'd be charmed once again with her writing in this novel as well.

In this book, we meet a heartwarming eclectic cast that includes Mike Dormer who is tasked to travel to the quaint bayside town of Silver Bay as part of a venture deal to build a multimillion dollar resort. When he checks into the Silver Bay hotel, he meets Liza McCullen, her daug
Ana Dumitrache
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cartea aceasta mi-a amintit de ce mi-a plăcut stilul lui Jojo Moyes de la bun început. Recunosc că nu am vrut s-o mai citesc după Înainte să te cunosc, pentru că devenise mult prea comercială. Însă acum, cu Silver Bay, parcă am redescoperit-o.
Jojo Moyes povestește frumos, te prinde imediat, te liniștește și te umple de frumos. Silver Bay e un roman simplu, despre relațiile dintre oameni, despre conexiunea lor cu natura și cu tot ce a lăsat Dumnezeu. E plin de tandrețe și sensibilitate, cu niște
Filipa
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Silver Bay" é uma localidade com um carinho muito especial pela vida marítima que por ali passa e que assim faz o sustento de pessoas que fazem disso o seu trabalho.

Observação de baleias, golfinhos e não só. Transporta-nos para viagens de turismo com o único objectivo de vislumbrar essa mesma vida e assim deslumbrar quem vai a bordo, passageiros e tripulantes. Muito bem descrito todo o carinho pelos animais e a angústia do que pode acontecer quando as redes podem enlear estes. . . Um carinho.
Tsippora
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had pretty low expectations for this book, but ended up really enjoying it. At first I was a little lost, not understanding where the story was going, but 50 pages in and I got into it.
I started Silver Bay, and about after 62 pages I decided to move over to Ship of Brides, and then went back to Silver Bay once I finished Ship of Brides. and I'm glad I chose to do that, because the small connection between the two books. So if you haven't read either yet but planning to read them both, start wi
iyreads
Cover:

Das Cover ist ein absoluter Hingucker und das aller schönste von allen Jojo Moyes Werken. Es gefällt mir farblich sehr gut und spiegelt für mich das Bild von Silver Bay wider.

Lieblingszitat:

„Für ein stilles Wasser haben Sie hier ganz schön für Aufruhr gesorgt.“

„Ich war mir meiner Bestimmung endgültig an einem klaren Morgen zu Beginn des australischen Frühlings sicher, als ein elfjähriges Mädchen meine Hand nahm und mir ein Geheimnis anvertraute.“

Meine Meinung:

„Nächte, in denen Sturm aufz
Alexa
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
FIRST THOUGHTS:

Boy, does Jojo Moyes know how to write! Truth be told, this garners a rating of 4.75 stars, if we're trying to be accurate. But Moyes has a way with words that just draws a reader in. In Silver Bay, she brings to life a story that is quiet, haunting and very emotional. Beautifully written, and I'm glad I stayed up to finish it in the wee hours of the morning.

REVIEW:

(Originally posted on Alexa Loves Books)

While it does start out slow, don’t let Silver Bay fool you. There’s a story
Kristy Drážovská
Vlastne ani neviem čo povedať... Zo začiatku som z toho bola taká rozpačitá. Čítalo sa mi to ťažko a nebolo to zlé, no čakala som viac. Potom sa to asi v polke oveľa zlepšilo a mňa to bavilo omnoho viac a koniec bol absolútne dokonalý! Pôvodne som chcela dať 4 hviezdičky, ale mám silné nutkanie dať 5 :).
Jules (Never enough time to read)
I really enjoyed Silver Bay, yes it wasn't perfect and I did guess the ending but I loved the setting and nearly all the characters.

I will definitely be reading a lot more by Jojo Moyles in the near future.
Estelle
4.5 stars. This starts slow but I am so so glad I hung on. Beautiful storytelling.
TL
Mar 26, 2015 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Just couldn't connect with it anymore :(
Leanne Lewis
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book I have read by Jojo Moyes and I loved the first two so much that I am on the hunt for whatever she has written so far but it seems a little hard to get the actual books here where I live so I may have to resort to digital copies :(
The book was in my opinion, slow to start and of the three I have read thus far, was my least favorite. It was slow to start off and many nights, I read only a few pages before I fell asleep so it didn't captivate me until about the middle. it st
Liz
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so rarely do 5 stars but this was such an exceptional piece of writing. To give anything less would've just felt wrong.
Silver Bay was both charming and lovely and gut wrenchingly sad. Jojo moved between these vast emotional landscapes like the seriously great writer she is, producing a novel I became very anxious to finish.
I loved the Australian setting and hats off to a British writer for getting that setting so true to form; this felt so genuinely Australian.
The twist at 90% was something
Corina☞BookTwinsReviews
LOVED IT

I really enjoy her older books much more than expected. This has been my second book after Me Before You (which made me cry, and I don't usually read tear jerkers ;(.

In Silver Bay the characters are what pulled me into the story. They were beautifully fascinating, unique, and entertaining. It didn't bother me that there were so many different POVs. I rather enjoyed the different voices.

Additionally the location and whale topic was extremely fascinating to me since I've neither been to A
Bibliophilic Richard
Rating: 3.5 / 5
Hayley
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ideally I'd give this book 2.5 out of 5 - 2 seems too stingy, 3 seems slightly more than it's really worth.

Jojo Moyes' Silver Bay adds a heart-wrenching twist to the conventional chick-lit love triangle story. Set in Australia and London, Moyes has created characters who draw you in and make you want to learn about their lives. I soon found myself caught up in the intricate details of Mike, Liza, Hannah, Kathleen, Greg and co, eager to know how their stories would unfold.

Written from the viewp
Julie
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
L'été, j'apprécie retrouver des lectures un chouilla plus "futiles" qu'habituellement. Même si ce roman est clairement mâtiné d'une dimension écologique avec un plaidoyer assez fort pour la sauvegarde des baleines et autres cétacés, je ne peux nier son côté "romance" qui prend selon moi une grande place dans l'histoire. Bien que ce ne soit pas vraiment mon genre littéraire de prédilection, j'aime beaucoup en retrouver les codes dans mes lectures estivales. C'est léger, doux, et quoiqu'un peu miè ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect ISBN - please change 2 25 Sep 19, 2018 07:34AM

• A Gentle Rain
  • Rsvp
  • No Turning Back (Hanover Brothers, #1)
  • Steal the North
  • O Ano Tem Doze Homens
  • Encontro em Itália
  • Father Unknown
  • Crazy About Love (All About Love, #3)
  • The Agency (Tess Drake, #1)
  • Alma Rebelde
  • The Villa Girls
  • Chance of Rain
  • Hotel du Barry
  • To My Daughter In France
  • Mister Gregory
  • The Space Between Us
  • O Dardo de Kushiel (Kushiel, #1)
  • The Stone Angel
Jojo Moyes is a British novelist.

Moyes studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. In 2001 she became a full time novelist.

Moyes' novel Foreign Fruit won the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA) Romantic Novel of the Year in 2004.

She is mar