Start by marking “Imaginations (Imaginations, #1)” as Want to Read:
Imaginations (Imaginations, #1)

Imaginations

(The Last City of Men #1)

In the Club of the Unknown, where the music blares and the faces are hidden behind masks, Gwyn meets a boy. Not just any boy, but one she is certain she has met before.

Only that's not possible.

Gwyn lives in the last city of men, where memories are made through repetition and yesterday is forgotten with the reset.

The world has peace, what's left of it anyway. Peace that ha
Published June 24th 2013 (first published June 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Imaginations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imaginations

Start your review of Imaginations (Imaginations, #1)
Jessica Fether
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was hard to rate. Up until about the middle I was sucked in - more like 5 stars. The middle was random and strange in parts, and then the ending was better. So I guess 4 stars? I definitely want to read the sequel and find out what happens.
Fiona Wilson
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Imagine that every day was a brand new day, you had no memories of what you did yesterday. The only memories you have are those which have been drummed into you for over 3 months, ensuring you retain the knowledge which allows you to 'remember' certain things.

No one is supposed to be able to retain information from day to day, their brains are 'reset' as they sleep each night. The reasoning behind this stems from the belief that if the population doesn't have their imaginations they can't cause
Kimberly Rinaldi
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
TEAM BRAN!
Crystal
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What can I say but I love Imaginations!

How can I review without giving away anything??? Let me try =)

Amazingly different, definitely futurist and totally addicting, Tara is my all-time favorite author. Imaginations adds to her long list of incredible books.

Living life day after day, without any memory of the day before, that's the life Gywn leads. But she's always had vivid imaginations of things she's certain have happened.

Green eyes haunt her dreams and quickly become reality and they show h
Kay El Cee
Actual Rating: 1.5/5

Holy moly. Was this a book or a train wreck?

Imaginations really doesn't know what it wants to be. Romance, dystopian, post-apocalypse, sci-fi, (view spoiler). To give you a better picture, it's a little bit of Matched, a dash of Possession, and a pinch of (view spoiler), and wah-la! You now have Imaginations!! It honestly is the jack of all trades, except you normally use that phrase with a something that's positiv
Krista
May 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Oh how I wish I could rate this lower. I am shocked that this is a Tara Brown book. I was obsessed with the Born trilogy-loved every second of it & thought 'how could I go wrong? It's Tara Brown!' I was so so wrong.

This book reads like a teenager wrote it & it's their rough draft, never before edited. It feels so rough & jumbled.. Like ideas thrown together. The premise was so awesome, so full of promise-every day you wake up is a completely new day, every night you fall asleep you 'reset' & fo
Willow Brooks
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think I just read a young adult book and loved it. Wow.... What a UNIQUE type of story. By the reviews either people absolutely love this book or hate it. Note to author, You really need to change the book cover on here to the one you have on Amazon). The cover on Amazon is what snagged my attention and made me give your story the one click purchase.

I can't help it but I like weird stuff and this book fits into the weird category in a good way. I have to find out more about the lady in the bl
Sara Nelson
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow!! I thought Born was weird....LOL (I loved Born) :) This book was different on so many levels. It makes you think long and hard about the world we live in. Tara Brown is a talented Author. I love Gwyn's character in this story. She is stuck in a life that she can't remember and in love with 2 different guys. Who will she choose? Bran, with his beautiful green eyes? Or Lyle with his friendship? You have to read this book!!!! The Cliffhanger UGH!!! I need book 2 already!! This is a must rea ...more
Britanny L Grossman
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great

I read a lot of dystopian style books and the plot for this one is unique. The story was interesting since I read it in one sitting. The author did OK with character development. Since they don't remember the day be for its a lot of repetitive thought in the first half of the book for the main character. Got a little violent in the last quarter and it looks like the sequel will have more. Over all 4* good beach day read. Makes you think what would happen if we forgot yesterday everyday
Trying to decide if it's worth my time to detail just how awful this book was. I might add more later, but the one thing sticking out in my mind is the awful sentence choices and structure, e.g., "My friend's face is cut badly and it looks bad." There are several instances of these type of repetitive sentences that you'd expect to see in a middle schooler's story, as well as truly awful syntax that required me to reread certain sentences at least five times to figure out what on earth the author ...more
Dena
I like the plot of the story because it is interesting and kept me focused. However there were missing parts that should not have been left out. For example the scene with the river people seemed short and not detailed just sort of glossed over. I see Gwynn going back but what is going to happen with the love triangle. How will she deal with it? The violent aspect is interesting and the situation with Greg and Amber. Just little things that would have made the story more believable.
Danielle Frappier
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
In the interest of full disclosure I will say it took me longer to get into this book than other books by Tara Brown. I stuck with it though and I wasn't disappointed. I really loved Gwen's character and I like how her character developed and changed throughout the story. The plot reminded me a little of the giver a bit but not the the point where I felt I was reading the same book. I'm excited for the next book. Also since we seem to be picking teams, I'm for team Lyle.
Saoirse Sheldon
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A world where no one remembers their yesterdays, there is no violence, crime, hate, etc. Children go to school and only remember what the school deems important for their history. When they get their jobs they will only remember enough to do their jobs. Sounds perfect doesn't it? Gwyn thinks so until she gets picked for a job, along with her friend Lyle that requires her to maintain her memories.
Jennifer Crawford
I should have loved it but it just left me feeling meh. I didn't hate it, or dislike it even, I was just eager to finish it. Maybe I've had my fill of dystopian for awhile. That said? I WILL continue with book two, so we'll see.
Heather Grant
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book and series! I loved the characters and felt connected to the heroine. After reading this book I couldn't wait to start on the second book. The writing painted such a great picture of this world. Highly recommend!
Susan Davis
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book but...

I was really flying throw this book until about 70% through and then it started to lag a bit but it picked up at the very end so book two may still be on my radar!
Brandi
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book took me a really long time to get through. I really just wasn't feeling the story until about 3/4s through. I did like the last of the story so I bought the next book.
Nicole Auxier
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't usuaolly write reviews, but I read these first two novels and i beg the author to write more in this serios.
Jodie Downes
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Had the spelling and grammar mistakes been rectified this would've been a 5! I love the topic, the storyline and the characters and I cannot wait to read Duplicities!
Jenna North
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Definitely not what I expected

I read. A lot. Not many books can surprise me but this one did. I wasn't expecting where the book ended up. Great story.
Emmyjo
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Damn another awesome book by Tara. I really think this could be a tv series. This book is that great. I'm starting the second book tomorrow. Or tonight because I really want to know what happens. Btw I'm so #TeamBran and probably others like Lyle which thats cool. But I still think he has way too many secrets. Anyhow In this city everyone is under some kind of med through the water to make you forget what happened yesterday. So basically everyday is a new day. No memories of the days past. The o ...more
A.R. Wile
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to say I enjoyed this book. The premise is unique, and the writing keeps your interest until the end.

That being said, I think it could use a little more editing to make the analogies more clear. I often found them a little redundant or wondering where the comparison came from. The descriptions and dialogue tended to be simplistic, but I think that may have been intentional based on the plot of the story. The memories of the characters were reset on a daily basis, so they had to start eve
Lynn Clark
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read and finding out who you are and what you're willing to live with, and what you're not. Even the weakest of characters have the ability to become strong. I cannot wait to continue this series!!
Michelle
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quick, interesting read

It starts a little slow but it is worth hanging in there. Overall a really good book. Thanks for writing it!
Jenny Houfek
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked the premise. I hated how it was written. I think it skipped too quickly from one plot to the next and didnt flow well.
Megan Johnson
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some parts I was a little confused but I enjoyed this one a lot. I’m over Bran though. He bugs me. I’m excited to read the second one!
Just Me
Can someone please tell me how this ends? Actually, can someone tell me what happens after 32% of the book?

A friend wanted to do a buddy read with this book. She made it to 19%, I made it to 32%. I just can't manage to keep reading.

From the reviews, I see all sorts of weird things are going on. Someone please spoil us and tell us what happens? Thanks.
Ashleyjo
May 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
I'm not sure wtf I'm reading, but this writing is a far cry from the author's "Born" series.

Disney writing

The writing caliber isn't YA. It's more preteen Disney - way too simple; way too stiffly Pollyanna; and way too childish in context, structure, and grammar. Examples...

"It was the strangest hallway ever." "Frank clapped his hands." "I shook my head." "I blinked again." "He was being very forward with me." "I shall ensure my vest matches."I swallowed." "She laughed." "I frowned." "She smil
Celeste
Aug 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult

I warn you there are spoilers.

This is yet another take on dystopian societies now extremely popular in the young adult genre. I’ll be frank: I hated the book. I could’ve have overlooked the poor sentence construction (even with the countless errors I wasn’t looking for) or the overuse of “nodded” (my kindle says it was used 297 times) but the awful characterization and egregious world building is unforgivable.

I went from tolerating the main character, Gwyn, to outright disliking her. In

Michelle Monroe
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
All is not as it seems

Living in a world where you never remember yesterday, Gwyn is perfectly ok with only the promise of a New day and forgetting yesterday. Forgetting pain, anger and hatred. Forgetting the mistakes that were made. Forgetting everything except for what she is conditioned to remember. This is how society is now in The Last City of Men.

You are not supposed to remember things unless they want you to, you are not to have imaginations about anything. Every night when the city goes
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Generation (Clone Chronicles, #3)
  • The Seventh Day (The Seventh Day #1)
  • Deviation (Clone Chronicles #2)
  • Configured (Configured, #1)
  • Immersed (Configured, #2)
  • The Picture on the Fridge
  • Ticket to India
  • Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Survival
  • The Thorn Chronicles: Books 1-4
  • Recruitment: A Dystopian Novel (The Resistance Trilogy Book 1)
  • War of the Cards (Queen of Hearts #3)
  • Hunted (Feral Souls Trilogy, #1)
  • Rogue (Exceptional, #2)
  • The Enigma Cube
  • The Girl (Guardians #1)
  • Airel: The Discovering (The Airel Saga, Book 2: Part 2-4)
I believe growing up in a really small town gives a person a little advantage when it comes to the imagination. You need one or you go mad.
Needless to say, mine saved me. After it got me into trouble first, that is. That's the problem with a vivid imagination, all the lies you tell.
According to my age, I am meant to be a responsible adult, but it isn't going well at all. I would still head off to

The Last City of Men (3 books)
  • Duplicities (Imaginations, #2)
  • Reparations (The Last City of Men #3)