Start by marking “Hear No Evil (Rustic Knoll Bible Camp, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hear No Evil (Rustic Knoll Bible Camp, #1)

Read Book

Hear No Evil

(Rustic Knoll Bible Camp #1)

Summer camp is no fun for Brady McCaul. The girl with the cute dimples thinks he’s immature and childish. The camp bully targets him with cruel taunts and teasing, and flips Brady’s canoe to keep him from winning the race. But worst of all, his mom won’t let him come home. She doesn’t want him living with her anymore. Brady wonders if even God cares about him.

Can Brady fig
Published November 5th 2013 by HopeSprings Books (first published November 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hear No Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hear No Evil

Start your review of Hear No Evil (Rustic Knoll Bible Camp, #1)
Lisa Godfrees
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Middle-grade contemporary

Kind of like an episode of The Love Boat except you're at Christian Camp and the love interest is God.
Premise:
Brady's mom drops him off at a Christian camp where he knows absolutely no one, including God. As she's leaving, she drops a bomb on him. He's not welcome to come back home, and the father who has been absent in his life since he walked out the door years ago is coming to get him at the end of the week. Ouch.

Theology: Tons

The church camp is a great and be
Annette O'Hare
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Admittedly, I have always been a fan of tween fiction…can’t get enough of it. Mary Hamilton’s debut book, Hear No Evil, didn’t fail to keep me entertained. The book begins with poor Brady McCaul being left at church camp where he knows absolutely no one. And to make matters worse his mother informs him that she no longer wants him living with her and her new husband and won’t be returning for him. His estranged father will pick him up at the end of the week. The book deals with bullying, having ...more
Stacey
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Perfect book for kids who either want to go to church camp or already enjoy going. I loved reading this book! It is a gripping story about a boy who is left at church camp. Emotionally it will tug at your heart strings, I almost cried reading it! But, emotion aside Mary writes a beautiful story, sharing Brady's first experience at camp. She masterfully weaves theology into her writing without the reader feeling like they are being given a sermon. I applaud her for an excellent book!! I loved her ...more
Teresa Pollard
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a seriously AWESOME novel for young people (or really for anybody)! I was up until 2:30 this morning reading it. I couldn't put it down! Brady is taken to camp by his mom, and on arrival told he won't be allowed to come home when the week is over, but will be picked up by his father, who has never paid any attention to him at all! With these words ringing in his ears, he meets his fellow campers and the staff of the Bible camp! Can a single week change his life? Mary has done an amazing ...more
Katie Clark
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mary Hamilton weaves a gripping tale right from the beginning. I felt such sorrow for Brady from the very first pages, and my concern for how he was going to fix his problem kept me reading until the end. I definitely recommend it to others!
Dave Hand
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mary Hamilton has forced me to rethink the teen genre with her debut novel "Hear No Evil." As a writer, I have held that good writing transcends audience and that readers of all ages should appreciate good writing for what it is, not because it is directed at a specific demographic. Hamilton weaves a tale of an unfortunate young man, Brady, who faces a coming-of-age moment at Summer Bible camp while, at the same time, coming to grips with his salvation. Hamilton interweaves scriptural references ...more
Rodger Fields
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brady has a problem, a family problem, an embarrassing I-don’t-want-to-talk-about-it and I-don’t-know-what-to-do-about-it problem. Dumped at a Bible Summer Camp where he knows no one, he doesn’t really buy into this God thing, either.

Given his situation, Brady is reluctant to trust and rely upon anyone: parents, counselors, friends, or God. Despite his funk, though, Brady discovers a special friend the first day, challenged by a handicap of his own. Brady needs friends because he quickly encount
Cynthia
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author in a Goodreads giveaway.

Because I didn't have the opportunity to attend a Bible camp--or any summer camp--as a child, I was curious and thought this book would show me the inside story. It did, and much more.

Brady's situation left him at camp without a home or parents he felt he could rely on. His feelings toward God were that "God would never call his name."

The story is full of the rivalry found when any bunch of kids get together, and it's not just in spo
Terri Wangard
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Thirteen-year-old Brady is dropped off at Bible camp with his mom’s words ricocheting in his mind. “I don’t want you living with me anymore.” His dad will pick him up at week’s end. His dad, who never even bothered to send him a birthday card.

Talkative Steven is one of his cabinmates. Steven is blind, and at peace with his life. He latches on to Brady as his guide, being the friend Brady needs.

He brought his trumpet along, and Steven pleads for a song. Soon Brady’s playing every night at lights

Sydney Avey
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I never attended a Bible Camp, but I know the teens in our church who attend have life changing experiences. I found the premise of this first book in the series engaging. A mom who drops a kid off at camp and tells him right off she won't be picking him up draws you right in. There was the expected bully to make Brady's life miserable, but the mystery over what was going on with mom kept me reading, and guessing.

I appreciated that the spiritual content was natural, not preachy. The counselors
Marji Laine
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Actually my daughter read this. Her review is below:

Here No Evil by Mary Hamilton spurred me on 'til the last page. The story was about a boy who was dropped off at a summer camp and then finds out that he can't go back home. This book offered excitement, intrigue, and the need to trust God even when He seems far away. I liked feeling like I was at the camp with Brady and how even the seemingly hopeless kids were redeemed. I also enjoyed the author's picture of God as the Savior in the darkness
Deb Garland
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mary Hamilton’s first book, Hear No Evil, isn’t your typical tween book. Bible camp fun is the backdrop that brings together likeable, but naughty at times, characters who are learning how to deal with some tough kid issues like bullying, living with a handicap, and adjusting to a single parent’s remarriage. Each boy or girl has their own story to tell about God’s redeeming love…stories parents and tweens won’t want to miss!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the Publisher in excha
Joanne Sher
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mary L. Hamilton has written a book that will hold the interest of any kid - and their parents!

A boy is sent away to Bible camp - and the last thing his mother says to him is "I don't want you living with me." Add teasing from another camper, and a crush on a girl who seems to think he's childish, and you've got plenty of conflict for this "typical" kid.

Some great twists here, and realistic dealing with some pretty serious issues - and a great Christian message to boot.

I enjoyed this book very
Peggy
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Debut author Mary L. Hamilton delivers a page-turning story for tweens and young teens, set at a Christian camp. Interesting characters and a well-developed plot, plus a few twists and a nail-biter scene on the lake add up to a good read for any age, boy or girl. They'll be clamoring for the sequel! ...more
Ann Wilds
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mary Hamilton's debut novel is an entertaining and inspiring story of a young boy's struggle with abandonment and loss. Set at a summer camp, he discovers that he is not as alone as he believed and that truth is not always what it seems. Though listed for the middle grade reader, it is a timeless story of God's unwavering love that will resonate with all ages. ...more
Lill Kohler
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mary Hamilton has done a wonderful job of reaching into the emotional tug-of-war teens and tweens struggle with in this day and age. I felt she did an incredible job of directing the reader as she took the main character, Brady, toward a victorious freedom from those struggles. This is definitely a must read for everyone.
Kathy
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Loved the characters; they were believable and portrayed real junior high age personalities. It made me laugh and cry! What happens next?! Hope there's a sequel. ...more
Jamii
I received this book for free through GoodReads First Reads. I thought this sounded like a great read when I entered the giveaway. Not what I've been reading lately but I'll give any genre a chance. Let me start by saying that this book was incredibly well written. It had a few different story lines that worked well and interweaved easily. I never once asked myself "what's the point of this plot piece? Why is this in here?" Even if you weren't exactly sure of the reason for something that was ha ...more
Pat
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hear No Evil is the first in author Mary Hamilton’s Rustic Knoll Bible Camp series. Even though this book is targeted to teens, I as an adult thoroughly enjoyed it. The story took me back to my own days at summer camp. The memories of the scent of pine and the acrid smell of a campfire’s smoke lingered with me throughout the reading of the entire book.

Summer camp is supposed to be a fun experience, but young Brady finds himself dealing with unexpected rejection by his mom when she tells him he w
Amanda
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Mary Hamilton did a fantastic job with this teen book. There are some hard-hitting issues - divorce, alcoholism, abuse - deftly braided into a Christian book that doesn't seem overly preachy. The real-life issues are presented in a way that evokes sympathy from those that have not experienced it, as well as a twinge of remembrance from those that have.
My heart went out to Brady from page 1. He knows his mom is acting strange, but he d
Shari Howe
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great Read for Teens and Adults

This book is written for teens, but I enjoyed it too! It deals with issues that are often part of the daily life of teens; bullying, parent problems, peer relations, and misunderstandings. The author has done a great job of writing a book that teens can relate to and also learn from. The camp counselor is a good role model and the camp director does a good job of helping the main characters learn valuable lessons in self control, accepting responsibility for ones
Michelle Kaderly Welsh
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brady's first time at camp doesn't start off so well since his mother seems to be ditching him for no reason. Working through his fear, anger, and hurt,Brady discovers the mystery which sent him to camp. While he gets himself into some trouble, he makes a powerful discovery which helps him find the answers and peace that he seeks.

Anyone who has ever felt unloved and deserted will relate with Brady, who even wonders if God cares about him. I remember being in such a dark place, which isn't any f
Ginger Solomon
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mary Hamilton's Hear No Evil, a YA (young adult) novel, touches on a young teenager's view of his circumstances. It was an interesting story with several applications which could be applicable to all of our lives. One that struck me the most -- and is the hardest to realize at times -- is that God loves us no matter what, and circumstances are not always as they seem to us when we are in the midst of the storm.

I highly recommend this novel to anyone aged 12 and over. Although it is written for y
Rondi Olson
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brady's mother drops him off at summer camp with the devastating announcement that she won't be picking him up, and he won't be living with her and her new husband anymore. Feeling confused and rejected, Brady only wants to be wanted.

This book reminded me a lot of the Sunday school readers we used to get each week as kids, one exciting adventure after another, with a goodly amount of old-fashioned gospel sprinkled in.

I think kids with some church background will really enjoy this book. A child u
Kelsey Bryant
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A really good book for pre-teens and teens. The message is one that many kids need to hear: God loves them and hears them. Many other values were woven in, too.

The story proceeded as swiftly and enjoyably as a week at summer camp! Mary Hamilton wrote in a very convincing perspective of a young teen boy; Brady felt as realistic as the boys his age who I know in real life. The campground of Rustic Knoll was likewise well described, and the camp experiences are true to what I know. Camp is a place
J-mag Guthrie
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I discovered that one of the characters is blind, my interest was piqued. I really liked the part about forgiveness and how it "works". It's one of those things that few people really portray well. I'm not in the target demographic but I enjoyed the whole of the story and would recommend it to families as well as youngsters. I'm a firm believer that parents should be able to discuss books with their kids and this is a great book for that. ...more
Lillian
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very good story about a boy feeling rejected, trying to fit in, and the relationships he forms at Bible Camp. I think the perfect audience would be preteens and young teens, although it held my attention all the way through. I am going to recommend it to two of my bookworm granddaughters.
TWJ Magazine
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Brady is ready for a summer at camp, but it doesn't start off as planned when his mom breaks down and tells him that he'll be going to live with his estranged dad after camp. She leaves, crying, telling him she doesn't want him around anymore. What sort of summer will this be? He'll meet new friends, one blind, and he'll meet a God he hadn't really thought about since his parents' divorce. A touching story through the eyes of a kid.

What instantly grabbed me was the camp. It transported me back
Glenn Haggerty
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brady McCaul’s father deserted him at age seven, but through the loss, he and his mom grew close—that is until another man came into Mom’s life. Now six years later everything has changed. Mom drops Brady off at a summer Bible camp and tells him not to return home. Brady is devastated. Caring kids, Steven and Claire, include Brady in their activities, but another kid takes every opportunity to bully the newbie. Even as Brady develops an attraction for Claire, and the camp director’s nightly mes ...more
Ruth
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
These days many young kids have feelings of inadequacy. Many others feel as if they aren’t loved. That’s how Brady McCall feels as his mom drops him off for a week of summer camp, along with the bombshell that he’s going to live with his dad after camp because she doesn’t want him anymore. He knows his dad doesn’t really want him either. What did he do wrong?
Throughout the week camp he examines himself to see if he can find the reason his parents don’t want him. He becomes very angry often takin
Author Mary L. Hamilton grew up at a youth camp in southeastern Wisconsin, much like the setting for her Rustic Knoll Bible Camp series. Her experiences during twenty years of living at the camp, as well as people she knew there, inspired many of the events and situations in her novels.
Mary began her writing career with articles for inspirational magazines and church take-home papers. She also wro

Rustic Knoll Bible Camp (3 books)
  • Speak No Evil (Rustic Knoll Bible Camp #2)
  • See No Evil (Rustic Knoll Bible Camp, #3)