Start by marking “A Kiss in the Dark” as Want to Read:
A Kiss in the Dark

A Kiss in the Dark

From a Zoella Book Club 2017 author

Real, compulsive and intense: Cat Clarke is the queen of emotional suspense. For fans of Paula Hawkins, Gillian Flynn, Megan Abbott and Jandy Nelson.

Can love survive the ultimate betrayal? A compelling story of love and identity from a bestselling author.

When Alex meets Kate the attraction is instant.

Alex is funny, good-looking, and a
Published April 3rd 2014 by Quercus (first published March 27th 2014)

Shattered by Teri TerryTrouble by Non PrattSay Her Name by Juno DawsonBanished by Liz de JagerHalf Bad by Sally Green
UKYA in 2014
145 books — 233 voters
YA Novels of 2014
1,545 books — 9,162 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of A Kiss in the Dark
Kirsty
This review is deliberately short because of two reasons. Firstly I'm not certain I have the words to do it justice and secondly I don't want to spoil it for others.

You can always rely on a Cat Clarke novel to rip you to shreds emotionally. This was no exception. It's gritty and hard hitting throughout. The story itself is one of those where you just know from the outset that it isn't going to end well for the characters involved. The situations they find themselves in are impossible and you ju
Chiara
Horrible book. Honestly would never recommend this to anyone. Filled with queerphobic, transphobic, and cissexist bullshit. Also trivialises sexual assault - to put the cherry on top of the hot mess that is this book.
May
I seem to be the only person who doesn't adore this book. I'm not going to write a full review because it's unnecessary and my feelings can be summed up in one sentence:
Kate and Alex are two of the most stupid characters in the YA genre.
♫✯Em loves Hollenstein✯♫❤the summertime and butterflies all belong to your creation❤
read half, skimmed the rest. not very memorable and very predictable but cute ending i guess?? didn't love the writing style. didn't really do anything for me and the characters were all dumb-asses.
Abbie
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual rating - 3.5
I'm a huge fan of Cat Clarke's writing, she always creates such realistic teenage characters and her stories never fail to pack a punch. I think A Kiss in the Dark might just be her best book yet which is really saying something!

I'm afraid that this review is going to be deliberately vague because this is the kind of story that would be incredibly easy to spoil and I would hate to ruin anyone's experience of reading it. There are so many things I want to talk about when it comes to this novel an
Maddie
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books, ukya
I was so on edge reading this because when a relationship starts with a lie, things can only go (dramatically) downhill. I was waiting for the moment Kate was told the truth about Alex, and thought that things would get better from then on, but nope. I had to read another 150 pages of angst and a fake sexual assault accusation. Both characters were digging themselves into holes they couldn't escape and I hated it, but couldn't stop reading it to see if the resolution was good.

Also, in terms of
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
I was super excited to read another book by Cat Clarke. I've loved all of her previous books and I love how emotional everything she's written has been. I especially loved the idea of this book.... the idea of a large secret that comes between two people starting out in a new relationship.

I don't fully understand why the official product summary is vague about this secret that threatens this relationship between Alex and Kate, especially as the secret is revealed (to the reader) fairly quickly
Danielle
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read more reviews at What Danielle Did Next

This will be short and sweet because of spoiler risk and my overwhelming feels...

A KISS IN THE DARK presented as a story of simple teen romance before turning my world upside down with an emotionally charged, beautiful story of love, perception, reality and heartbreak. This was my first Cat Clarke book but will not be my last!

Alex and Kate meet online, bonding over a mutual love of music they agree to meet at a gig of their favourite band. The attract
Chrissi
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cat Clarke is one of my auto-buy authors. Her books have always grabbed me, but at the same time destroyed me! They’re usually quite intense. They’re always well written. A Kiss In The Dark is no exception. Don’t be put off by the somewhat vague synopsis. It is an incredible book.

A Kiss In The Dark is one of those books where I don’t want to say too much about it, because it would really ruin your reading experience. Therefore, reviewing it is incredibly tricky. I just want to fangirl over it,
Leanna (daisychainbooks)
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Intense and gripping, A Kiss in the Dark is another page-turning winner from Cat Clarke. Filled to the brim with love, lies, secrets and heartache, Clarke’s latest offering demands to be read in one-sitting, thanks to its timely subject matter and jaw-dropping plot twists and turns. I’ve said this before of Cat Clarke’s books, and after reading A Kiss in the Dark, my thoughts remain the same: YA doesn’t get much better than this.

Read the rest of my review: http://daisychainbookreviews.blogspot..
Dayna Johnson
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Love was love. I truly believed that. And I had blown my one shot at it”

A Kiss in the Dark revolves around two young teenagers who meet online, after many conversations where they become very familiar with one another they decide to meet in person. It’s clear from the ‘Before’ section of the book that these two individuals, Alex and Kate, feel very strongly about one another. It gave me warmth watching their relationship blossom, they share so many romantic and heart wrenching moments together.
Tom Lavoixdulivre
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
(http://lavoixdulivre.blogspot.fr/2014...)

What to say about this book? I’m washed out. There are no words for this novel, no way for me to say how much I loved this book. I fell in love with it, just as Alex and Kate fell in love. We have to survive this: our heart gets broken, and then we have to wait for it to be pieced back together. But when will it happen? There are no words to express this kind of emotional turmoil. Yet I have to do that, don’t I? This book is narrated by two voices, whic
Starsandsun18
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stef White
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have literally just finished this book and I don't even remember how to function. There are no words for what I feel right now.
Why do you do this to me Cat. Why do you end books that way? You can't leave it like that! I want more. No I need it!!
This was just beautiful and heartbreaking and wonderful and horrible and made me hurt in so many different ways.
I'm not going to say anything else because it'll turn spoilery :)
Jess
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having read and adored Cat Clarke's other novels- Entangled, Torn and Undone- I was expecting great things from A Kiss in the Dark. However, I did not anticipate just quite how potent and moving the story would be. As others have stated, it's challenging to review this book without giving too much of the plot away- a reason why the book description is so vague. However, what I can say is that this novel is simply beautiful. The perspective of both main characters, Alex and Kate, are explored dee ...more
Pamela Todd
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Kiss in the Dark was raw and frank and I was gripped from the very beginning.

I have been staring at a blank page and blinking cursor for ages now, and still cannot think how on earth to write this review to both do the book justice and convey just how amazing it is.

Alex and Kate are two teens who meet and form an instant bond. Straight away they fall deeper into their feelings for each other and can barely stand to be apart. But one of them is keeping a secret and the other has no idea.

Told
vicky.
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Alex and Kate met online.
He is everything she wants in a boyfriend and she is everything he wants in a girlfriend.
But one of them has a secret that could ruin their relationship.

Well, I saw the big twist coming. It was more or less what I had expected. However, what I hadn't expected was to be hooked.
The book is divided in two parts, before and after. The before, where we meet Alex and Kate and one of them still don't know about the secret was my favorite. I'm pretty sure I read it in like, t
Tamara
May 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Ailsa
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this but unfortunately I just... didn't. I thought it dealt with LGBTQ issues clumsily (trans people are all deceitful and lie about their gender!) and it was really not satisfying. I enjoyed aspects of this book especially the fact it's set in Edinburgh where I'm from but I don't think it handled sensitive issues with enough nuance.
Amanda
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read in one sitting, writing as compulsive as ever with Cat Clarke, and a subject matter that properly challenges assumptions about sexuality.
maddi rose
Oct 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
This was complete and utter trash
Claire Gilmour
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I really loved the start of this book - easy to read and kept me turning the pages. By about half way I was starting to overthink the characters and some of their decisions.. I had to stop myself and decided that I would just enjoy this book for what it was, young adult fiction with a few twists and turns. And that’s what I did. I enjoyed it. 3 stars.
Tasneem
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very disappointed with this book. It was boring and dragged on a lot. :(
Cho
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not as suspenseful as her other books but the story is pretty good (heartbreaking but kinda sweet)
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
There is no way I can review this book by outlining any of the plot or themes, otherwise I will totally ruin it for you. So, here’s the blurb:

When Alex meets Kate the attraction is instant.

Alex is funny, good-looking, and a little shy – everything that Kate wants in a boyfriend.

Alex can’t help falling for Kate, who is pretty, charming and maybe just a little naive…

But one of them is hiding a secret, and as their love blossoms, it threatens to ruin not just their relationship, but their lives.

A
AmeVicky
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
As a huge fan of Cat Clarke and having read and loved Undone, Torn, and Entangled, I was quite disappointed by A Kiss in the Dark. This review is a bit difficult to write because I'm not too sure how I feel about this book.

The biggest problem I had with this book was that I wasn't able to believe the naivety of Kate McAllister. I mean, I know she's supposed to be an inexperienced teen or whatever but how could she possibly be that stupid? One of the things that people most love about read
SJH (A Dream of Books)
One of the things I like about Cat Clarke books is that they always make me question my own opinions. I may not always feel comfortable with some of the scenarios and situations she puts her characters in but I think that's a good thing because Clarke often shows that things are not always as clear cut as they may first appear to be and this makes you think twice about your own feelings and standpoint.

'A Kiss in the Dark' throws up a lot of questions about identity which will resonate with teen
Ajita
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Alex and Kate are madly in love. They first chat online and than met at their favorite band’s gig. Everything between them seems perfect, but it’s not and Kate doesn’t know it. Alex carries a big secret with him. The first part of the book, Before, is told from his point of view. You’ll see how he struggles with his secret and will come to understand his decisions. The second part, After, is told from Kate’s point of view. This takes places after she’s found out Alex’ secret.

I want to elaborate
Katie Hurse
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Definitely my least favourite Cat Clarke book that I've read. I think part of the problem was how much this read as melodrama - I mean, I get it, it was obviously a highly dramatic, awful situation for both characters, but Kate especially just read as such a drama queen. I really didn't like her as a character at all.
This was 350 pages long but I feel like nothing much really happened for me as a reader because we know the big secret within the first few chapters - the only thing to hold your i
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Boys Don't Cry
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • The Art of Being Normal
  • Love Song
  • Les Petites Reines
  • Phobos⁴ (Phobos, #4)
  • Collision (Phobos, #3)
  • Distortion (Phobos, #2)
  • This Lie Will Kill You
  • My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece
  • S.T.A.G.S
  • Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?
  • Colorblind
  • Les origines (Phobos, #0,5)
  • Nil Unlocked (Nil, #2)
  • Nil (Nil, #1)
  • I am Traitor
Cat was born in Zambia and brought up in Edinburgh and Yorkshire, which has given her an accent that tends to confuse people.

Cat has written non-fiction books about exciting things like cowboys, sharks and pirates, and now writes YA novels. She lives in Edinburgh with a couple of cats, Jem and Scout, who spend their days plotting to spit up furballs at the most inconvenient times. She likes chees