Start by marking “Tangent Comics, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Tangent Comics, Vol. 1

Tangent Comics, Vol. 1

(Tangent Comics #1)

Welcome to a very different world, where a nuclear-powered hero's debut ushered in an age of hi-tech invention, an atomic conflagration destroyed both Cuba and Florida, and the covert organization Nightwing has eyes and ears in every home.
Published August 1st 2007 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Tangent Comics, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tangent Comics, Vol. 1

Start your review of Tangent Comics, Vol. 1
mark monday
Apr 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
execrable. so one of the definitions of "tangent" is "a completely different line of thought or action" and I suppose that's what this is. characters named "Flash" and "Green Lantern" and "Hawkman" and organizations named "Nightwing" and "Metal Men" - just a few of at least a couple dozen examples - that have literally nothing to do with their historical antecedents. literally nothing. not powers nor appearance nor history nor anything whatsoever. so what was the frickin' point of this? the brie ...more
Zachary King
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
For the most part, I liked this more than I thought I would! Reminded me a lot of Stan Lee's "Just Imagine" line of reimagined DC heroes.

THE ATOM is maybe the best of the bunch. A classical Dan Jurgens yarn about a third-generation legacy hero coming to terms with the truth about his grandfather.

METAL MEN is a war comic for people who don't like war comics. President Schwartz details his background in the military.

GREEN LANTERN is almost a "Tales from the Crypt" episode. This earth's GL reani
Joe
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
good stuff
wish more was coming
Craig
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
DC Comics 1990's attempt at rein-visioning their characters just for fun, not for any kind of permanent change. I usually like this kind of thing, especially with what DC did under their Elseworlds line or there more current Earth One series. Here everything is so much different that what they've done before. It really isn't reinventing characters so much as it is creating whole new characters and slapping familiar names on them.

Each story is a one-shot issue focused on one character or group. T
Cassie
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: comic book geeks, dc comic geeks
Recommended to Cassie by: my father
Tangent comics is probably one of my favorite things to come out of DC Comics in the time that I have been reading them. It is a series that has a very unique way to reinterpret characters that were made famous throughout its long history. To see characters be so drastically different, like the version of Green Lantern that has more characteristics from Asian culture than many comic books allow. It created a new world in an interesting manner that resonated with many fans of DC Comics, which is ...more
Sean
May 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I realize this was an experiment. Maybe it was just too caught up in setting things up. Maybe it was just the style of the time. Either way, this was miserable.
Matt
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
A fun, revisionist take on DC heroes, taking them in a decidedly Marvel direction. Fun stuff.
Chad
Mar 25, 2008
Khedron Frank
Feb 11, 2008
Mike
rated it did not like it
Oct 05, 2012
Mark Bourne
May 05, 2012
Sarah Morgan Sandquist
Jun 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
So much potential totally squandered.

The premise here is somewhat of an homage to the transition between golden ange and silver age. Several Dc heroes are reimagined; becoming completely new characters. Theoretically, if you enjoyed Elseworlds, you would enjoy this work. However, I just don't think that's the case. In my mind, it fails in two distinct ways:

I. The writers are given near-complete freedom, not just writing the stories but also designing the characters. To that end, they make amateu
Joe

• X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga
  • Astro City, Vol. 17: Aftermaths
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 1: Gifted
  • Terror Titans
Dan Jurgens is an American comic book writer and artist. He is best known for creating the superhero Booster Gold, and for his lengthy runs on the Superman titles Adventures of Superman and Superman (vol. 2), particularly during The Death of Superman storyline. Other series he has been associated with include The Sensational Spider-Man (Vol. 1), Thor (vol. 2), Captain America (vol. 3), Justice Lea ...more

Tangent Comics (3 books)