Start by marking “Night Sweats: An Unexpected Pregnancy” as Want to Read:
Night Sweats: An Unexpected Pregnancy

Night Sweats: An Unexpected Pregnancy

Laura Crossett was thirty-five years old, one month into a relationship, and six months into a new job when she sat in a staff bathroom and looked at a stick that told her something she already suspected.

Almost half the pregnancies that occur in the United States each year are unplanned. Some of them happen to married women, some to unmarried; some occur due to failure to
Published June 9th 2013 by Lulu.com

To ask other readers questions about Night Sweats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Sweats

Rochelle Hartman
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First, I should mention that the author of this book, Laura Crossett, is a longtime librarian friend. Having said that, I have lots of friends who publish, and have never felt as compelled to review or share their work with the larger world. At the age of 35, Crossett, who had just moved back to her hometown of Iowa City, was six months into a new job, one month into a new relationship, and found herself staring at a positive pregnancy test in her workplace bathroom. This wasn't supposed to happ ...more
Molly Westerman
This book captures the texture, messiness, ugliness, beauty, and--for word people and idea people like me--thinkiness of the pregnancy experience. Despite the fact that my own pregnancies were both very much planned, this story resonates with me far more than most pregnancy accounts do. In fact, it's now one of my favorite pregnancy/parenting memoirs: I'm delighted to have stumbled upon it!

I also wrote a longer review at my feminist parenting blog First the Egg.
Barry Wynn
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I find few books as engrossing as this one. Hooked me from the first paragraph. You don't have to have carried a child to term to understand fear, trepidation, joy, loss, excitement, bliss, love; all of which are expressed so vividly in "Night Sweats".
Like quite a few commenters, I "know" Laura from online. If we ever meet in "meatspace" I hope she can spare an hour or twelve to allow me to review with her the many passages I highlighted. This book resonated on so many levels.
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Absolutely an enjoyable tale. Laura's voice is lovely in this. I definitely laughed out loud a couple of times, and just may have teared up once too. I've been looking forward to Laura's story, and I'm glad it's here.

Because the link isn't listed here, this is available here and at Amazon for those who'd like to read it.
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-and-enjoyed
I know Laura online, but I would have enjoyed her book even if I didn't have that connection. Her voice is one I could hear speaking out as I read her story. She made me laugh out loud as I shared her story with Mr. B, and I got a little choked up, too. This is worth a read regardless of whether you have kids; Laura's honest, open tale is worthy of sharing.
Lacey Louwagie
This book started as a blog for friends about a professional single woman's unplanned pregnancy (REALLY unplanned, as in the IUD failed, which is really rare.) It still reads like a blog, but since I'm into published journals, that was okay with me, especially since I probably never would have spent the time sitting in front of a computer to read Laura's whole saga (I use the word lightly, it's not a very long book), and I'm glad that I did.

I related to Laura -- she is a librarian who lived alo
Mike
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read this because Will Manley, a columnist for Booklist, recommended it as an "involving, even suspensful, personal narrative" by a woman who becomes (as you can guess from the title) pregnant when she didn't expect to. Oh, and I also read it because a) it was written by a librarian and b) it's not even a hundred pages.

Taken from blog entries from her New Rambler blog, Laura Crossett's exploration of her thoughts and feelings over the course of is something that should give anyone insight. It
Saloma Miller
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Last night I was baking for a church function and was waiting for bread to come out of the oven. I picked up a copy of "Night Sweats" thinking that I would get a sense of what it's about... maybe read a few pages, then go to bed. At least that's what I thought I was doing. Several hours after the bread was out, cooled, and wrapped, I finally closed the book to go to sleep. It was 2 AM, and I had read the book to the very last page.

For full disclosure, I will tell you how I came by the book. The
Robin
In this short and easy book, Crossett chronicles the months between learning she is pregnant and the birth of her son. Originally written as a private blog for a circle of friends, this is a small slice of one person's experience. As the entries unfold, the reader gets to know Crossett a little -- and like her.

Not seeking to get pregnant and an advocate of reproductive choice, Crossett takes time to decide whether to become a parent. The Prologue of this book is smart and thoughtful -- She is r
Jeff Duffey
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This diary is the story of how Ms. Crossett’s experiences and faith gave her the confidence to embrace motherhood. It chronicles her daily struggles with her pregnancy’s uncertainties and her uncontrollable future. As she realized she had already done it for herself, she came to believe she could help her son weave a tapestry rich in goodness from the diverse people in their lives.
Her diary shows her without make-up—unpretentious, funny, and palpably real. James Finley once said that we are nev
Soonhar
Came across this unusual book in a column in Booklist, a library journal that I read for work, and managed to get it from one of four libraries in Illinois that carries it. It's under 100 pages, based on the author's blog, about discovering that she had become accidentally pregnant -- just after she broke up with the baby's father. Author is clearly a liberal, also a Catholic ... and I was looking for a more complex exploration of her decision to keep the baby although she was unmarried, not in ...more
Galadriel
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
As a reader of Laura Crossett's writing on her blog, The New Rambler , I was excited to read an entire book of her raw honesty and intelligent wit -- eager enough that I downloaded the e-book instead of purchasing a preferred print copy so that I could circumvent shipping time.

In Night Sweats, Crossett's portrayal of her pregnancy is deeply intimate and thus does what good writing should do: shows the reader one unfolding of a very human experience.
Janet
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
A quick, interesting read. The author wrote from more of a Christian-perspective than I expected. (Not a bad thing--just a little surprising). The use of a single initial or someone's age (E.g., Mr. 2.5) instead of names was annoying. In essence, this was the author's pregnancy journal and not the typical one since this pregnancy was in no way sought after. Glad I read it and would recommend it to anyone who wants a realistic look at one person's experience with the ambivalent emotions of pregna ...more
Molly Ewing
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Honest. Series of blog posts and emails sent throughout one single woman's journey through her pregnancy. Spiritual, political, emotional, always deeply personal. The author writes like a typical Iowa MFA, and has created an interesting hybrid text that may have also functioned as therapy, both in the writing and then compilation of bits into a cohesive narrative. A fast read, but also worth lingering over. And yay for Creative Commons licensing!
Erik Therme
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Laura Crossett’s Night Sweats immediately drew me in with clever writing and dry-witted humor. It has to be incredibly difficult to open your life to anyone who has the ability to order a book, but she’s done just that, inviting us along on her spiritual—and often confessional—journey of what it takes to accept the burden/joy of a child. Night Sweats is a joyous, candid account of life, love, and cats, and I look forward to reading more from Laura.
Elise Nelson
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable read. It was a treat to get to know my college friend's background and philosophies in more depth. This book made me ponder my own spirituality. I particularly enjoyed the bible references and how Laura applied them to her own situation.
Michaela
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I love Laura Crossett's vulnerability, her way with words, her warmth and humanity. This short memoir chronicles her thoughts as she grapples with a very unexpected pregnancy. Looking forward to reading more of Crossett's work in the future.
Lauren
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Another book by a library colleague.
Kayo
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nice read!
Heather
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
One of my coworkers told me about this book. It's interesting to read things like this because it doesn't seem that there are that many books like it out there. An interesting read.
elissa
Jul 26, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: adultnovels
Recommended by Will Manley. Crossett is a librarian.
Jan
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this personal memoir, especially since the author is an academic librarian.
Stephanie
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I know Laura Crossett through the interwebs, and it's fun to read a book by an e-buddy!! I appreciate the difficulty of Laura's situation and her bravery at writing about it.
Christina Pikas
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed!
Erin
A frank look at an unexpected pregnancy.
ACRL
Jun 23, 2014 added it
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Marie R. Kennedy. Learn more about Marie on the ACRL Insider blog.
Christie Wood
rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2016
Lauren Sams
rated it did not like it
Oct 22, 2014
Jason
Sep 24, 2013
Grumpator
Aug 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mansfield Public ...: Night Sweats: An Unexpected Pregnancy Review 1 12 Jun 27, 2013 09:00AM
Laura Crossett is a librarian and lives in her hometown of Iowa City, Iowa, after sojourns in Wyoming (which has her heart) and in Illinois and New York (where she got a couple of her degrees).

Night Sweats is her first (and, given the demands of work and motherhood, may be her only) book.