Start by marking “Who Framed Klaris Cliff?” as Want to Read:
Who Framed Klaris Cliff?

Who Framed Klaris Cliff?

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  125 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
People used to call them 'friends' and said how they were good for your brain. And then a day came when all that changed . . . when they became our enemy.

Now, anyone found harbouring a rogue imaginary person is in for the Cosh, an operation that fries your imagination and zaps whatever's in there, out of existence.

That's why I wish Klaris Cliff had never shown up. And why
Published February 6th 2014 by OUP Oxford (first published January 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Who Framed Klaris Cliff?, please sign up.
Nikki Sheehan Hi, Thanks for your question, and sorry for the delay in answering it. I didn't see it! The book is magical realism. So mostly contemporary with a bit…moreHi, Thanks for your question, and sorry for the delay in answering it. I didn't see it! The book is magical realism. So mostly contemporary with a bit of fantasy. Not sure what the sticker means, sorry! Nikki(less)
Shattered by Teri TerryTrouble by Non PrattSay Her Name by James DawsonBanished by Liz de JagerHalf Bad by Sally Green
UKYA in 2014
141 books — 235 voters
Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenSide Effects May Vary by Julie   MurphyHexed by Michelle KrysStitching Snow by R.C. LewisSnow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
OneFour KidLit
95 books — 196 voters

More lists with this book...

Robin Stevens
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What if children's imaginary friends were actually real - and what if the adults all thought they were dangerous? Nikki Sheehan's wonderful, touching and very clever story explores just that. The kid characters in this are just brilliant - so funny and real (and quite gross sometimes) - the mystery element is a lot of fun and there's an amazing twist in the tale that I'm still reeling from. I loved it!
Emma Carroll
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very original story premise complete with family dynamics to rival Hilary McKay's Cassons. I read this in 3 sittings- the short chapters worked brilliantly. What I also loved was how the tone changed from something quite dark and sinister to a become a very moving tale of loss. A brilliant debut.
Elizabeth Moffat
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to both receive an ARC of this exciting debut novel from Oxford University Press and to attend a bloggers evening where I got to hear the author read from her novel and speak about her writing experience. More on that later including a guilty admission of my own…

Among a host of intriguing characters (real and imaginary) is our main character Joseph whose father is raising him on his own after his mother disappeared two years previously then sent a postcard from Spain telling h
Abi Elphinstone
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Moontrug had been noticing the glowing reviews and gushing comments surrounding Nikki Sheehan’s Who Framed Klaris Cliff? and so on a recent book-buying spree, she grabbed a copy. And from the first few pages she could see what all the hype was about…

People used to call them ‘friends’ and said how they were good for your brain. And then a day came when all that changed… When they became the enemy. Now, anyone found harbouring a rogue imaginary person is in for the COSH – an operation that fries y
Rachel Hamilton
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
All books are wonderful, but some books are more wonderful than others. For me, Who Framed Klaris Cliff? is one such book.

The concept of a society where imaginary friends pose such a threat they must be systematically ‘Cosh’-ed, leaving their child hosts without the imagination to conjure up future companions, instantly shot this to the top of my ‘must read in 2014’ list.

And I wasn’t disappointed.

I loved everything about this book. The mystery element is well-plotted and gripping. 13 year-old Jo
Tatum Flynn
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
This is a deliciously unusual and original MG novel. I was very intrigued by the blurb about imaginary friends being dangerous and illegal before I picked it up, and the story completely lived up to my expectations.

It's sad, funny, pacy, heart-warming, very perceptive about both children and adults, and astoundingly clever. The characters are all wonderfully three-dimensional and the story as a whole, despite the imaginary friends thing, reads so genuinely, more like a realistic contemporary, a
Luna
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: uk-authors
The blurb for Who Framed Klaris Cliff? caught my attention immediately, imaginary friends are dangerous? Yes I’m reading this.

Overall I enjoyed the book but it wasn’t an instant like. There are a lot of characters; Joseph, his father, the Cliff family (parents, 5 kids & 2 dogs) bullies and officials that all link together at one point. With so many characters competing it took me a while to became attached to one but in the end Flea won my heart. I wanted to hug him.

I would have preferred a
Kendra
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very much enjoyed Who Framed Klaris Cliff?. Incredibly original, very clever story, and brilliantly written. Joseph's voice was spot on, and I can really imagine Middle Grade-aged readers (and older!) connecting with him. Wonderful balance between humour (sometimes almost farcical, and including a fair few poo jokes) and very sweet moments, especially between Joseph and his dad.

As for the big twist... I did have my suspicions, but the way Nikki revealed it still walloped me. The whole story came
Declan Miele-howell
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great author! I actually know Nikki!
Emily
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book! Really made me think about what imaginary friends really are! Very interesting and even made me cry!
Amy
Apr 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Have reviewed on my blog- will be updated.
Marah
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I give this book 4.5 stars. I really really enjoyed this book. It was a simple story about something so relatable (imaginary friends) but with a nice twist to it.
My rating system was:
1 star for entertainment. As I said, enjoyed it till the end. I didn't find myself bored at any scene.

1 star for the writing style. The vocabs were simple and the chapters were short and easy to fly through.
PS: you might notice that it took me long to finish, that's on me not the book.

1 star for the characters. Thi
Jess
May 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
i would give this no starts if i could, i think. this book is such a MESS. i knew it wouldn't be anything amazing because, hey, it's a kid's book but it sounded weird and interesting and i wanted to give it a go because it was a quick read. but this book literally had no idea what it's point was or what it was trying to achieve. also it's waaaay too short for the few things it is aiming to achieve. there's little to no world building or context for anything.

just everything about this book is wr
Tob
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing special. (ok - good) Nice idea, good written, not too deep (both - kids, parents, relationships,...) Readable and enjoyable.
Fabulous Book Fiend
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Review: I was sent a proof of this book to review and read it after having met the author at a fabulous event organised by the publishers. I am lucky enough to have a signed copy of this fabulous cover as well. This book wasn't entirely my taste but I think it was a well written story and such an original idea for a novel. Hearing the author talk about imaginary friends and the research she had done into this area, I could see how much work she had put into this novel. The concept that imaginary ...more
Serendipity Reviews
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by author, Jill Atkins for Serendipity Reviews
Thirteen-year-old Joseph Reece has a secret, something too awful to admit to his best friend, Rocky, or his dad. He is plagued by a rogue imaginary friend called Klaris Cliff who comes into his brain and tells him what to do. Although she is benign and her advice is always passive, Klaris is a ‘rogue’ imaginary person because she has been a ‘friend’ to Flea, the seven year old boy next door, for a long time.

The trouble is, as soon as word g
Emma
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Gwydion - Year 7

The book is based on the idea that imaginary friends are part of your brain and can become dangerous in ways including a “rogue” which is when an imaginary friend can change from person to person. However there is a treatment for this which is called the “cosh”; removal of your imagination but when a rogue calls Klaris arrives in the Cliff household all actions possible must be taken to prove her innocence.

The main character of this story is a boy named Joseph. He is on
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review: In this world, invisible friends are dangerous. Anyone found to have one is sent for the COSH, a procedure that shrinks the area of the imagination that an invisible friend will reside in. Klaris Cliff is one such invisible friend. An imaginary person who contacts Flea, and later, Joseph. As bad things go on at the Cliff household, Doctor Cliff wants Klaris gone, and it's up to Joseph to prove her innocence.
I hadn't heard of this until the OUP night for this and Storm and Stone, but upon
Charli - To Another World
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this review and many others at To Another World

I received a free proof of this book from OUP Children's in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you!

Who Framed Klaris Cliff is about a boy named Joseph who has an imaginary friend, Klaris. But now, imaginary friends are bad; and to get rid of them, they put you through the Cosh, frying every bit of imagination you have.

I found this concept of imaginary friends being bad and evil intriguing and
Jo Bennie
Feb 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: s
An intriguing book perfect for 8-12 year olds. Joseph lives in a world where there has been a terrible incident and imaginary friends are considered a potential lethal threat rather than a harmless childhood phase. He lives with his dad, his mum disappeared two years earlier after sending a postcard from Spain saying she would be back in the summer.

Joseph's neighbours are the sprawling Cliff family, best friend Rocky, older sister Pooh, the odd and vaguely wicked twins Egg and Willis and Flea. F
Hannah
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jennah
Klaris Cliff is Flea’s imaginary friend but recently she has been talking to Joseph. Is this evidence she is becoming a dangerous “rogue” imaginary friend? Are rogues really dangerous, or are they being used as scapegoats?

The concept of this book is really original and I like that she added her own aspects such as the “cosh” which is the process of how dangerous imaginary friends are removed. It shows how the author has clearly made the concept her own.

The writing style, short chapters and chara
G.R. Mannering
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In the world of 'Who Framed Klaris Cliff' rouge imaginary friends are highly dangerous. Any child found harbouring such a thing will be subjected to a cosh - an operation that fries your imagination and zaps whatever is in there out of you. Joseph Reeves has a 'dangerous' next door neighbour - a young boy called Flea with a friend called Klaris that no one else can hear. Well, that's what Joseph thinks until Klaris starts to talk to him.

'Who Framed Klaris Cliff' by Nikki Sheeham is an arresting,
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vine, jennah
I loved Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend so when I heard about Who Framed Klaris Cliff, I was intrigued with how it would deal with the concept of imaginary friends.

Joseph is an ordinary 13-year-old boy, but he has a secret. He can see Klaris, the imaginary friend of his best friend’s younger brother, which means she’s migrating, and that she’s dangerous. In Joseph’s world, imaginary friends are something to be scared of – they’re blamed for all sorts of things, including murder, and any child fou
María
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I got this book for Christmas, and even though I had it on my wishlist, I didn't know what to expect.

At first the book is quite confusing. It starts talking about imaginary people going rogue, and jumping from one person to another. I wasn't able to get it, so I left the book. When I took it again and continued reading, I was kind of addicted to it. The chapters are really short, and it is easy to read.

The characters are quite well developed -you can see the most outstanding features of every s
Kate Ormand
A rogue imaginary friend, a series of unexplained events, and a duo determined to get to the bottom of it. Joseph and Flea are facing the Cosh--a service provided to children with uncontrollable imaginary friends. Once the procedure is complete, the child is left without imagination, resulting in the friend being erased for good. The two of them set out to unravel a mystery, following a variety of clues, to find out who framed Klaris Cliff. I had a blast reading this book. It was so much fun. To ...more
Preston  Miles
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
'Who Framed Klaris Cliff' is a brilliant book. The concept alone is stunning - that rogue, imaginary friends must be eliminated at all costs, even if it means obliterating a child's imagination. From the first page I was gripped - the writing is so assured that it's hard to believe it's a debut. Sometimes, an author can create characters that are so real and wonderful that they really must exist - and Sheehan does just that. I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.
Emma Slaughter
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
A lovely little book told well from the point of view of a child, I only wish that it had been slightly longer. I think there was potential for a longer story, but aside from this, it is a well written story that packs an emotional punch at the end
Stargirl
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a cute and clever little book! The little Flea is an adorable little kid and I love the family kids and I found Joseph to also be an adorable little kid and making friend with little 7yo Flea.

Adorable, adorable, adorable, really.
Andrew Johnston
An original idea, but i found the story dull.
Petra Be
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, very original.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Waiting For Gonzo
  • Kite Spirit
  • Hidden Among Us (Hidden Among Us #1)
  • Finding Cherokee Brown
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
  • Monkey Wars
  • Salvage
  • Have a Little Faith (Faith, #1)
  • Silent Saturday (Forbidden Spaces, #1)
  • The Disappeared (The Disappeared #1)
  • The Bone Dragon
  • Dead Romantic
  • Sky Hawk
  • You Don't Know Me
  • Being Billy
  • Mortlock
  • The Name on Your Wrist
Nikki Sheehan is the youngest daughter of a rocket scientist. She went to a convent school in Cambridge where she was taught by real nuns in long black habits. She studied linguistics and then psychology and worked as a subtitler for the Simpsons, followed by many years as a journalist. She lives in Hove near the beach with her husband, three children, two dogs, one cat and definitely no more hams ...more
More about Nikki Sheehan

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)