Start by marking “Chasing the Dragon” as Want to Read:
Chasing the Dragon

Chasing the Dragon (North Beach Mystery #1)

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A complicated, shadowy man in disgrace, Dante Mancuso leads a double life. Lately, though, the line he walks has become razor thin.

Dante works for The Company, a nebulous security organization operating just this side of the law. Dante wants out, but it's a hard life to leave behind-rich with its own seductions, its own dark attractions.

His latest assignment sends him ba
Published October 4th 2004 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Chasing the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing the Dragon

Ellen Keim
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book just didn't do it for me. I didn't really warm to any of the characters and the events were confusing. There were a lot of references to places around San Francisco which may have been interesting if I was familiar with that city, but there wasn't enough here to make me feel as if I was there. I don't mind the ending being left hanging, but almost everything else was, too. It's a shame because the book had potential. Maybe I'm being too negative; someone else might like it just fine. B ...more
Seth
May 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime-fiction
Started out as a better-than-average crime thriller -- in a field where the average is pretty abysmal -- but didn't fulfill its promise. Another bedtime book that didn't do the job.
Adam
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
LJ
CHASING THE DRAGON (Unlicensed-San Francisco-Cont) – Ok
Domenic Stansberry – 6th book
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2004- Hardcover
Dante Mancuso, forced out after seven years with the San Francisco police, as been working around the world for “The Company.” They’ve now sent him back to San Francisco just at the time when his father has died. But when his uncle gives him photo negatives from his father, and his uncle is murdered, Dante questions his father’s death and what is behind it all.
*** The most in
Andrew
Dec 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Noirish mystery that centers around drug and human trafficking in San Francisco ports. The end is filled with enough double crosses to make any Noir buff happy, but I found myself pining for a little bit of wisecracking from the hero. However, Stansberry's observational skills bring San Francisco's waterfront and Italian-American community to fabulous life. I will definitely check out the next in this series
Kay
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Seduced by the gorgeous painting of the Golden Gate Bridge, I picked up this noir mystery that is not at all my cup of tea. The depiction of North Beach and the tension between the Italian and Chinese communities kept me hanging on. One of those fast-paced books that ends quickly and leaves you feeling empty.
Donald
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would! I loved the setting and the characters - North Beach, San Francisco and a bunch of Italians! Good action and a good mystery! And a pretty quick read too! A nice summer treat! I would definitely be interested in reading the next one!
Vicki Cline
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-mysteries
The author successfully keeps up a sense of forboding and menace throughout the book. I'm more used to first person detective stories, but this kept me involved and worried about what was going to happen next. I'm looking forward to the next one in the series.
Fussnik
loved it
Daryl
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
It was a good book, tho I suspect if I had read earlier books about this character I would have enjoyed it more.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Domenic Stansberry is an Edgar Award winning novelist known for his dark, innovative crime novels. His latest novel, The White Devil, tells the story of a young American woman in Rome, an aspiring actress, who— together with her too charming brother— is implicated in a series of crimes dating back to her childhood days in Texas. Stansberry is also the author of the North Beach Mystery Series, whic ...more
More about Domenic Stansberry...

North Beach Mystery (4 books)
  • The Big Boom