Start by marking “Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline” as Want to Read:
Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline

Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Tales told through texting. Pinterest prose, LinkedIn lit, irony over Instagram – or Facebook flash fiction. Digital media is now an inescapable facet of how we live, and it influences what and how we read and write. Today’s fiction not only incorporates emails, iPads and even good old MySpace into storylines, but also integrates interactive conventions into the actual for ...more
Published September 1st 2013 by Great Plains Publications

Nathan Burgoine
Dec 30, 2013 Nathan Burgoine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthologies
"IMHO," by Marcy Rogers

This very short tale kicks off Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline, edited by Shawn Syms, and lets the reader know they're in for tales that go beyond the typical - and safe - ideas they might have been expecting.

Here we meet Jude, who has connected with Scott online - a man he's never met, but for whom very strong feelings have definitely grown. But it's not what you'd think, and in a very short space, Rogers gives you a sharp left turn, and then - boom - the
Caseythecanadianlesbrarian
How fitting is it that I found out about the anthology Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline on goodreads, and the editor Shawn Syms found out that I was interested in it on twitter, because I had written about it on my blog. He kindly sent me a pdf review copy to my email. Although this collection isn’t explicitly queer, the editor Shawn Syms is and so are quite a few of the contributors and/or their stories: Marcy Rogers, Zoe Whittall, Trevor Corkum, Megan Stielstra, K Tait Jarboe, D ...more
Noelle Walsh
Oct 27, 2013 Noelle Walsh rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I found this anthology to be a nice collection of stories based around technology and social media. I enjoyed reading it, going so far as to read a couple of the stories a second time. I'll be recommending this book, I think.

*Won on GoodReads First Reads*
Maria Nikic
Oct 30, 2013 Maria Nikic rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a fun book to read! I enjoyed reading it !
Jaimelivres
Jan 18, 2014 Jaimelivres rated it really liked it
This is a collection of short stories related to social media and technology. As my children always tease me about my lack of social media savvy, I wasn't sure if I would connect with the subject matter but I was pleasantly surprised. Each of the short stories grabbed my attention, they were well written and enjoyable.
Jay
Feb 10, 2014 Jay rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable, fun read.
Michael Bryson
Aug 17, 2014 Michael Bryson rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Interesting collection of short fiction, and also interesting archive of all of the different social media platforms and the surprising diversity of "new media" (not really so new any more, right) opportunities for mediating human connection.

Is the transitory nature of human connection over-emphasized here? Has it become cliche that technology can only give us surface, not depth?

These stories both push against stereotype and confirm them. However, the diversity of authors as well as the wide ran
Caralyn Rubli
May 10, 2014 Caralyn Rubli rated it liked it
I received this book in a giveaway through Goodreads first reads. A book of short stories.Like every short story book there are some really good (IMHO by Marcy Rogers), some good, some bad and some really bad. All in all a very good collection. Part of one of the stories takes place at an Indian wedding in Brampton!!!!! Awesome!!!
Kate Baggott
Dec 28, 2013 Kate Baggott rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I really enjoyed the diverse collection of other authors' works in this anthology. Regardless of how you feel about social media, there is a distinct sense of the diversity and unity of human experience and community in this anthology.
Niya B
Aug 12, 2014 Niya B rated it it was ok
As a collection of short stories about life in a hyperconnected society goes, it is a good collection. There are diverse writing styles that touch on a breadth of subjects while never delving deep enough to expose the truly unsavory side of digital communications. There is the occasional frisson but nothing that leaves a lasting impact. Like most collections, it is easy enough to devour in a single sitting and then forget anything past the act of consumption.
Ras Mashramani
Ras Mashramani marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Afeni
Afeni marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Cate
Cate added it
Feb 29, 2016
Colleen Dolan
Colleen Dolan marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2015
Amy Drake
Amy Drake rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2015
Teal2001
Teal2001 marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Steve Karas
Apr 20, 2015 Steve Karas rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Julia Molloy
Julia Molloy rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2015
Evan McCraney
Evan McCraney rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Donna
Donna added it
Feb 07, 2015
Antonia
Antonia marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Tammy Matthews
Tammy Matthews rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Audrey Van petegem
Audrey Van petegem marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Marys Niesink
Marys Niesink rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Meg
Meg rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Shawn Syms has written about culture, politics, gender and sexuality for the past 24 years. His essays and stories have appeared in 5 anthologies and his literary short fiction was shortlisted for the Journey Prize in 2009. His writing has appeared in over 50 publications, among them Spacing, The Globe and Mail, the National Post, The Rumpus and The Collagist. ...more
More about Shawn Syms...