Start by marking “Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline” as Want to Read:
Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline

Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline

Tales told through texting. Pinterest prose, LinkedIn lit, irony over Instagram – or Facebook flash fiction. Digital media is now an inescapable facet of how we live, and it influences what and how we read and write. Today’s fiction not only incorporates emails, iPads and even good old MySpace into storylines, but also integrates interactive conventions into the actual for ...more
Published September 1st 2013 by Great Plains Publications

Start your review of Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline
Nathan Burgoine
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthologies
"IMHO," by Marcy Rogers

This very short tale kicks off Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline, edited by Shawn Syms, and lets the reader know they're in for tales that go beyond the typical - and safe - ideas they might have been expecting.

Here we meet Jude, who has connected with Scott online - a man he's never met, but for whom very strong feelings have definitely grown. But it's not what you'd think, and in a very short space, Rogers gives you a sharp left turn
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
How fitting is it that I found out about the anthology Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline on goodreads, and the editor Shawn Syms found out that I was interested in it on twitter, because I had written about it on my blog. He kindly sent me a pdf review copy to my email. Although this collection isn’t explicitly queer, the editor Shawn Syms is and so are quite a few of the contributors and/or their stories: Marcy Rogers, Zoe Whittall, Trevor Corkum, Megan Stielstra, K Tait Jarboe, D ...more
Noelle Walsh
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I found this anthology to be a nice collection of stories based around technology and social media. I enjoyed reading it, going so far as to read a couple of the stories a second time. I'll be recommending this book, I think.

*Won on GoodReads First Reads*
Maria Nikic
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a fun book to read! I enjoyed reading it !
Jaimelivres
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of short stories related to social media and technology. As my children always tease me about my lack of social media savvy, I wasn't sure if I would connect with the subject matter but I was pleasantly surprised. Each of the short stories grabbed my attention, they were well written and enjoyable.
Jasper
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable, fun read.
Michael Bryson
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Interesting collection of short fiction, and also interesting archive of all of the different social media platforms and the surprising diversity of "new media" (not really so new any more, right) opportunities for mediating human connection.

Is the transitory nature of human connection over-emphasized here? Has it become cliche that technology can only give us surface, not depth?

These stories both push against stereotype and confirm them. However, the diversity of authors
Caralyn Rubli
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaway
I received this book in a giveaway through Goodreads first reads. A book of short stories.Like every short story book there are some really good (IMHO by Marcy Rogers), some good, some bad and some really bad. All in all a very good collection. Part of one of the stories takes place at an Indian wedding in Brampton!!!!! Awesome!!!
Kate Baggott
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I really enjoyed the diverse collection of other authors' works in this anthology. Regardless of how you feel about social media, there is a distinct sense of the diversity and unity of human experience and community in this anthology.
Irene
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic mystery, horror, and thriller short stories about technology!
Niya
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
As a collection of short stories about life in a hyperconnected society goes, it is a good collection. There are diverse writing styles that touch on a breadth of subjects while never delving deep enough to expose the truly unsavory side of digital communications. There is the occasional frisson but nothing that leaves a lasting impact. Like most collections, it is easy enough to devour in a single sitting and then forget anything past the act of consumption.
Amanda
Jul 17, 2014
Kristen
Jan 22, 2014
Julia Molloy
Apr 04, 2015
Shawn Syms
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Meg
Aug 13, 2014
Greg Kearney
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Marys Niesink
Dec 07, 2013
Steven
Oct 24, 2013
Wyl Villacres
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Tammy Matthews
Jun 17, 2015
Lisa
Dec 30, 2017
Clayton Littlewood
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shawn Syms has written about culture, politics, gender and sexuality for the past 24 years. His essays and stories have appeared in 5 anthologies and his literary short fiction was shortlisted for the Journey Prize in 2009.  His writing has appeared in over 50 publications, among them Spacing, The Globe and Mail, the National Post, The Rumpus and The Collagist.