Start by marking “Is God anti-gay?: And other questions about homosexuality, the Bible and same-sex attraction” as Want to Read:

(Questions Christians Ask)

It's the hot topic of the moment. Christians, the church and the Bible seem to be out of step with modern attitudes towards homosexuality. And there is growing hostility towards those who hold a different view. So is God homophobic? And what do we say, and how do we relate to to both Christians and non Christians who experience same-sex attraction.

In this short
Published July 1st 2013 by Good Book Co

To ask other readers questions about Is God anti-gay?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is God anti-gay?

Start your review of Is God anti-gay?: And other questions about homosexuality, the Bible and same-sex attraction
Ruby Granger
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting biblical perspective on homosexuality. I picked this up as extra reading for my Ethics A Level and would definitely recommend it for those doing the OCR Religious Studies A Level course. It offers an alternate perspective on Christian homosexuality which may be useful for essays. It is a quick, informative read but also somewhat upsetting at times.
Aaron Downs
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Sam Allberry’s Is God anti-gay? is a pamphlet dealing with Christians and modern attitudes towards homosexuality. Allberry, an associate pastor of St. Mary’s Church in Maidenhead, UK, is a believer who has battled same sex attraction from his teens years until now. Allberry believes that open conversation on how to deal with same sex attraction is both necessary and healthy.

Allberry begins by distinguishing between “being gay” and having “same sex attraction.” He posits that “being gay” means
Mark Jr.
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, audio
I fear that we have already descended into the sloganeering phase of the argument over homosexual acts, just as we did long ago with abortion. “It’s a choice!,” shout the pro-choicers. “It’s a life!,” shout the pro-lifers.

With regard to homosexuality, “It’s a choice!” isn’t exactly the Christian position. And this seems to be the special contribution of a man like Sam Alberry. He is clearly a Bible-believing, gospel-loving, evangelical Christian. And yet he experiences same-sex attra
Ben Kester
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Like most books you'd find in a Christian bookstore, this is written for the WASP subculture. It fits the genre nicely. It is consistent with church teachings. It is safe. You can flip through it in a couple minutes and wonder if there really is nothing new under the sun.

If the church followed this book from the start, we would be in a different place. They didn't, though. The church started a war against those different from them. This quick read didn't have time for that history an
Jill
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I really had no interest in reading this book - I only read it because the author is giving a talk, we are live streaming it at church, and I wanted to know whether I would be able to go without punching a hole in our overhead projector. I really struggle with the way LGBT people are preached about in churches, and I was worried this book would follow a similar vein of confusion, poor communication and a wistful longing for days gone by - when gay people weren't out and you could still slap your ...more
Cliff
Excellent treatment of the subject! Please read and think through this book.
Daniel Ligon
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the book on homosexuality that Christians need right now. Sam Allberry speaks with both biblical authority and personal experience on this topic. He presents an excellent biblical case for there being only two options for the Christian: heterosexual marriage or celibate singleness. Allberry, a single pastor in England who has struggled with same-sex attraction for years, is firm on truth and orthodoxy while still being compassionate to those who deal with this particular temptation. In t ...more
Rachel Schultz
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very well done. Made me want to read more by Sam Allberry
Brittany Durr
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great beginner resource for a Biblical, yet personal perspective on same-sex attraction/homosexuality. Good differentiation between SSA and homosexuality.
Grant Fawcett
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very helpful, humble and gently written approach to a difficult subject. Submitted to the Gospel and holding Christ at the center!
Josh
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Though this is not a long book at all (88 pages), it is extremely thorough and very well written. I have to admit that I have never heard of Sam Allberry until I read this book, but he made quite a good initial impression on me with this book dealing with homosexuality. The chapters are as follows:

1. Getting started: the Bible, marriage and sex
2. The Bible and homosexuality
- Surely a same-sex partnership is OK if it's committed and faithful?
- But Jesus never menti
Jeanie
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cross-reviews
The answer to the question Is God Anti-Gay. NO, the verse and many others that support that is "those who are heavy laden" come to me. And as Jesus himself said that he only came for the sick and just as the sick know they need the doctor, those that are in sin know we need a savior. When we take Jesus as a savior, we also need to take him as our Lord, and that is when our heart is changed. So the question is homosexuality a sin? Yes it is and is supported both in the new testament and old. Jesu ...more
Susan
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a little book that looks at what the Bible has to say about homosexuality, which is an important topic for the church and followers of Christ to handle properly.

One thing I really liked about this book is that although the author is focusing on same sex attraction any number of sins could be inserted. The point being that no sin is worse than another and we are all sinners because we live in a fallen world. So, the question is what do we do about it?

Our sins alone don’t define us and t
Drake
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is THE book that I would give to both Christians and non-Christians on this subject. Allberry's book is short but filled with rich, biblical teaching that carefully places the topic of homosexuality within the context of the gospel itself. His writing is also filled with both compassion and grace as he emphasizes that the gospel is good news for everyone, including gay people. Very well done.
Jimmy
Aug 06, 2013 added it
So much ink has been spilled concerning the topic of homosexuality, both for and against, and you might ask, “Why another book?” What makes this one different? I would say if one has to read only one book on this subject from a Christian perspective this would be it since the beauty of this book is its balance, simplicity, brevity, clarity, honesty and the author pastoral heart.

Right off the bat, the book opens up with a personal introduction from the author’s own life—and his strugg
Peter Jones
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very helpful book for those who are struggling with same sex attraction and for churches, ministers, and lay people who counsel, evangelize, or talk to homosexuals. It was a good reminder that the temptation to homosexuality is like any other temptation in the Christian life. It needs to be fought by prayer, the support of Christian friends, and looking to Christ and his cleansing power. As a pastor, it made me want to be more prepared to minister to those coming out of the homosexual lifestyl ...more
Nathan Schneider
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: counseling
A timely read, Is God Anti-Gay? is a much needed read for the church. Sam Allberry, a minister who struggles with same-sax attraction, addresses the issue of sexual orientation and homosexuality with compassion and biblical understanding. Allberry begins with the biblical framework for marriage and then, proceeds to address controversial, biblical passages. He moves from there to look at specific questions related to same-sex attraction. This little book will give you a better understanding of h ...more
Bob O'bannon
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm getting this book for all my church officers right now. It's the best thing I've read on this increasingly volatile issue. Allberry is himself a man who struggles with same-sex attraction (SSA), which gives the book added credibility. But the author strongly maintains the orthodox position on the issue while also giving practical instruction on how Christians can love, listen to and understand those dealing with SSA. "Wouldn't it be great if, of all people, it was their Christian friend they ...more
Amy Kannel
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, christianity
A very short (I read it in one quick sitting) but wise and helpful little book. Only an introduction to complex and sensitive issues, but the way the author (who experiences same-sex attraction but chooses to remain celibate) answers some of the "classic" questions/objections on both sides is winsome and compelling.
Brian Pate
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!! I read this short (85-page) book in preparation to lead a discussion with my teens in light of the Supreme Court decision regarding same-sex marriage. I need to get a box of these to hand out -- to those struggling with SSA, to those struggling with loving gays, to those questioning whether the Bible opposes homosexuality. This book tackles it all!
John
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Allberry is pastoral and thoughtful with a very difficult subject in this much needed book. There are other books that provide more theological and biblical mea than Allberry's does, but none that do so as pastorally as he does. It's the best starter book for the issue hands down.
Mae Walker
Dec 17, 2018 added it
Shelves: christian
I really appreciated how Sam fit all the relevant issues and questions to do with the topic of homosexuality back into the broader picture of the gospel. For example, living in a fallen world with sin's consequence, temptation itself not being a sin but a product of living in a sinful world (and something everyone including Jesus struggled with), the gospel and message of Jesus being the best news possible for everyone, and the call of Jesus to everyone to "deny [themselves] and take up their cr ...more
Hufflepuff Book Reviewer
I am currently doing research from many different perspectives in order to figure out whether or not I think homosexuality is sin, as it's an issue I am very conflicted about. Being such a pivotal issue in today's society, it is not something that I want to get wrong.

Written by a celibate pastor who struggles with same-sex attraction, Is God Anti-Gay is the first book I have read on the subject, and I quite liked it! Allberry's work is insightful, thoughtful, well-written, transparen
Jerrod Griebel
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Last summer, I heard Sam Allberry speak at a CRU conference. His book “Is God Anti-gay?” is essentially his in-person testimony and teaching on the topic, but more developed and drawn out. At its core, I think Allberry’s scriptural evidence to support his argument is quite sound and difficult to disagree with. The only reason I gave this 4 stars (rather than 5) is because I think that his claims would have been stronger supported with more stories from his own life as well as from other SSA Chri ...more
PJ Wenzel
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
This is a short book, but a helpful book. It is hard to argue with anything Allberry says - his reasoning is sound, Biblical, and comes from experience. He doesn't lecture or condemn, nor does he go the opposite direction toward permissiveness and license.

What I liked most about this book is the number of times Allberry gives the reader questions to ask in conversation. It's a very practical book - its not a theological treatise. But Allberry does takes the time to explain his positions and the
Cydney Fletcher
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sam Allberry has great insight on this topic since he is a Christian that struggles with same sex attraction. I enjoyed his perspective on the issue and how he shares ways to help others we know that struggle with this issue. I don't think this short book has all the answers, and I will definitely continue reading about the subject. However, I found this little book to be a great launch pad for continued learning and understanding of the topic.
Jeremy
May 16, 2018 marked it as to-read
Allberry positively reviews a children's book about homosexuality here. See more here (Allberry argues that SSA itself isn't sinful).
Jackson
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
fascinating balancing act of how SSA plays into the pastoral ministry // valuable entry-level resource into a conversation // Gospel boils to the top time and time again, which is impressive considering the peripheries of SSA issues that usually overhang
Meirav Berale
So good! a short but comprehensive guide to a complex subject, written by someone for whom this is a personal issue - addressing what the Bible actually says, and how we are to live in the light of that. Recommended reading for any Christian who seeks to honour God.
Laurli
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great succinct review of the scriptures and what that means in regards to this important topic.
2017 Reading Chal...: Is God Anti-Gay? 1 20 Sep 18, 2015 02:45AM

• Transgender: Christian compassion, convictions and wisdom for today's big questions (Talking Points)
  • What Does the Bible Really Teach about Homosexuality?
  • The Hole in Our Holiness: Filling the Gap between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godliness
  • Washed and Waiting: Reflections on Christian Faithfulness and Homosexuality
  • Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been
  • God and the Gay Christian: The Biblical Case in Support of Same-Sex Relationships
  • What Is the Gospel?
  • Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World's Largest Religion
  • Competing Spectacles: Treasuring Christ in the Media Age
  • Out of a Far Country: A Gay Son's Journey to God, a Broken Mother's Search for Hope
  • People to Be Loved: Why Homosexuality Is Not Just an Issue
  • Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism
  • Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate
  • The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: An English Professor's Journey Into Christian Faith
  • The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness
  • Stealing from God: Why Atheists Need God to Make Their Case
  • God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible
  • The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism
Sam comes from Sevenoaks in Kent, but studied theology at Wycliffe Hall in Oxford, and has since worked at St Ebbe's Church, Oxford, and now serves at a church in Maidenhead. Hobbies include reading, watching The West Wing and anything to do with South-East Asia.

Questions Christians Ask (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Why Did Jesus Have to Die? (Questions Christians Ask)
  • Is forgiveness really free?
  • Who on Earth Is the Holy Spirit?: And Other Questions about Who He Is and What He Does
  • What happens when I die? (Questions Christians Ask)
  • Did the Devil Make Me Do It?: And Other Questions about Satan, Demons and Evil Spirits
  • Can I Really Trust the Bible?
  • How Will the World End?
  • Why Bother With Church?: And other questions about why you need it and why it needs you
  • How Can I Be Sure?: And Other Questions about Doubt, Assurance and the Bible
  • What Makes Us Human?
“It is the same for us all - 'whoever'. I am to deny myself, take up my cross and follow him. Every Christian is called to costly sacrifice. Denying yourself does not mean tweaking your behaviour here and there. It is saying 'no' to your deepest sense of who you are, for the sake of Christ. To take up a cross is to declare your life (as you have known it) forfeit. It is laying down your life for the very reason that your life, it turns out, is not yours at all. It belongs to Jesus. He made it. And through his death he has bought it.

Ever since I have been open about my own experiences with homosexuality, a number of Christians have said something like this: 'the gospel must be harder for you than it is for me', as though I have more to give up than they do. But the fact is that the gospel demands everything out of all of us. If someone thinks the gospel has somehow slotted into their life quite easily, without causing any major adjustments to their lifestyle or aspirations, it is likely that they have not really started following Jesus at all.”
6 likes
“As we reject God, we find ourselves craving what we are not naturally designed to do.” 3 likes