Start by marking “Is God anti-gay?: And other questions about homosexuality, the Bible and same-sex attraction” as Want to Read:

(Questions Christians Ask)

It's the hot topic of the moment. Christians, the church and the Bible seem to be out of step with modern attitudes towards homosexuality. And there is growing hostility towards those who hold a different view. So is God homophobic? And what do we say, and how do we relate to to both Christians and non Christians who experience same-sex attraction.

In this short, simple boo
Published July 1st 2013 by Good Book Co

Start your review of Is God anti-gay?: And other questions about homosexuality, the Bible and same-sex attraction
Ruby Granger
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting biblical perspective on homosexuality. I picked this up as extra reading for my Ethics A Level and would definitely recommend it for those doing the OCR Religious Studies A Level course. It offers an alternate perspective on Christian homosexuality which may be useful for essays. It is a quick, informative read but also somewhat upsetting at times.
Aaron Downs
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Sam Allberry’s Is God anti-gay? is a pamphlet dealing with Christians and modern attitudes towards homosexuality. Allberry, an associate pastor of St. Mary’s Church in Maidenhead, UK, is a believer who has battled same sex attraction from his teens years until now. Allberry believes that open conversation on how to deal with same sex attraction is both necessary and healthy.

Allberry begins by distinguishing between “being gay” and having “same sex attraction.” He posits that “being gay” means
Jill
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I really had no interest in reading this book - I only read it because the author is giving a talk, we are live streaming it at church, and I wanted to know whether I would be able to go without punching a hole in our overhead projector. I really struggle with the way LGBT people are preached about in churches, and I was worried this book would follow a similar vein of confusion, poor communication and a wistful longing for days gone by - when gay people weren't out and you could still slap your ...more
Mark Jr.
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, 2014
I fear that we have already descended into the sloganeering phase of the argument over homosexual acts, just as we did long ago with abortion. “It’s a choice!,” shout the pro-choicers. “It’s a life!,” shout the pro-lifers.

With regard to homosexuality, “It’s a choice!” isn’t exactly the Christian position. And this seems to be the special contribution of a man like Sam Alberry. He is clearly a Bible-believing, gospel-loving, evangelical Christian. And yet he experiences same-sex attraction (SSA).
Ben Kester
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Like most books you'd find in a Christian bookstore, this is written for the WASP subculture. It fits the genre nicely. It is consistent with church teachings. It is safe. You can flip through it in a couple minutes and wonder if there really is nothing new under the sun.

If the church followed this book from the start, we would be in a different place. They didn't, though. The church started a war against those different from them. This quick read didn't have time for that history and treats the
Cliff
Excellent treatment of the subject! Please read and think through this book.
Daniel Ligon
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the book on homosexuality that Christians need right now. Sam Allberry speaks with both biblical authority and personal experience on this topic. He presents an excellent biblical case for there being only two options for the Christian: heterosexual marriage or celibate singleness. Allberry, a single pastor in England who has struggled with same-sex attraction for years, is firm on truth and orthodoxy while still being compassionate to those who deal with this particular temptation. In t ...more
Rachel Schultz
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very well done. Made me want to read more by Sam Allberry
Jeanie
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cross-reviews
The answer to the question Is God Anti-Gay. NO, the verse and many others that support that is "those who are heavy laden" come to me. And as Jesus himself said that he only came for the sick and just as the sick know they need the doctor, those that are in sin know we need a savior. When we take Jesus as a savior, we also need to take him as our Lord, and that is when our heart is changed. So the question is homosexuality a sin? Yes it is and is supported both in the new testament and old. Jesu ...more
Brittany McDowell
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great beginner resource for a Biblical, yet personal perspective on same-sex attraction/homosexuality. Good differentiation between SSA and homosexuality.
Grant Fawcett
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very helpful, humble and gently written approach to a difficult subject. Submitted to the Gospel and holding Christ at the center!
Laura Reid
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent insight into our loving Father
Josh
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Though this is not a long book at all (88 pages), it is extremely thorough and very well written. I have to admit that I have never heard of Sam Allberry until I read this book, but he made quite a good initial impression on me with this book dealing with homosexuality. The chapters are as follows:

1. Getting started: the Bible, marriage and sex
2. The Bible and homosexuality
- Surely a same-sex partnership is OK if it's committed and faithful?
- But Jesus never mentions homosexuality, so how can
Mike
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Allberry is open-hearted, generous, wise and also gay...or perhaps, to put it more clearly: he has same sex attractions. He's also a Christian.
This short book doesn't mince matters about sin - homosexual activity is only one of various sins that St Paul, for instance, lists in his gospels. He never singles it out as being worse or better than other sins, sins that may be more familiar to the rest of us. Since homosexual behaviour is a sin, it has to be dealt with as other sins. Brought to Chris
John
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Allberry is pastoral and thoughtful with a very difficult subject in this much needed book. There are other books that provide more theological and biblical mea than Allberry's does, but none that do so as pastorally as he does. It's the best starter book for the issue hands down.
Susan
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a little book that looks at what the Bible has to say about homosexuality, which is an important topic for the church and followers of Christ to handle properly.

One thing I really liked about this book is that although the author is focusing on same sex attraction any number of sins could be inserted. The point being that no sin is worse than another and we are all sinners because we live in a fallen world. So, the question is what do we do about it?

Our sins alone don’t define us and t
Drake
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is THE book that I would give to both Christians and non-Christians on this subject. Allberry's book is short but filled with rich, biblical teaching that carefully places the topic of homosexuality within the context of the gospel itself. His writing is also filled with both compassion and grace as he emphasizes that the gospel is good news for everyone, including gay people. Very well done.
Lindsay Hart
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sam Allberry addresses many of the questions that Christians are often asked about homosexuality and shows the Bible passages that answer these questions. One especially helpful thing about this book is that it is concise, making it easy for readers to summarize its explanations in conversations.
Jimmy
Aug 06, 2013 added it
So much ink has been spilled concerning the topic of homosexuality, both for and against, and you might ask, “Why another book?” What makes this one different? I would say if one has to read only one book on this subject from a Christian perspective this would be it since the beauty of this book is its balance, simplicity, brevity, clarity, honesty and the author pastoral heart.

Right off the bat, the book opens up with a personal introduction from the author’s own life—and his struggle with homo
Peter Jones
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very helpful book for those who are struggling with same sex attraction and for churches, ministers, and lay people who counsel, evangelize, or talk to homosexuals. It was a good reminder that the temptation to homosexuality is like any other temptation in the Christian life. It needs to be fought by prayer, the support of Christian friends, and looking to Christ and his cleansing power. As a pastor, it made me want to be more prepared to minister to those coming out of the homosexual lifestyl ...more
Hufflepuff Book Reviewer
I have been doing research from different perspectives in order to figure out whether or not I think homosexual behavior is sin, as it's an issue that I am rather conflicted about. Being such a pivotal issue in today's society, it is a question that I feel I ought to pay sufficient thought to.

A book written by a celibate pastor who struggles with same-sex attraction (but chooses not to label himself as gay because doing so too often, in his opinion, insinuates a key aspect of one’s identity), Is
Bob O'bannon
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm getting this book for all my church officers right now. It's the best thing I've read on this increasingly volatile issue. Allberry is himself a man who struggles with same-sex attraction (SSA), which gives the book added credibility. But the author strongly maintains the orthodox position on the issue while also giving practical instruction on how Christians can love, listen to and understand those dealing with SSA. "Wouldn't it be great if, of all people, it was their Christian friend they ...more
Matthew Manchester
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book excelled in what it was made for, mainly giving a short, condensed, and clear doctrine and answers about homosexuality, temptation, and how to handle practical matters in church and day-to-day life.
These practical sections are where the author shines through the most. His wisdom and gracefulness as he writes for both the Christian and the non-Christian is amazing. Anyone who reads this book, particularly those who struggle with SSA, will feel welcomed and loved, yet hopefully challenge
Amy Kannel
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity, own
A very short (I read it in one quick sitting) but wise and helpful little book. Only an introduction to complex and sensitive issues, but the way the author (who experiences same-sex attraction but chooses to remain celibate) answers some of the "classic" questions/objections on both sides is winsome and compelling.
Brian Pate
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!! I read this short (85-page) book in preparation to lead a discussion with my teens in light of the Supreme Court decision regarding same-sex marriage. I need to get a box of these to hand out -- to those struggling with SSA, to those struggling with loving gays, to those questioning whether the Bible opposes homosexuality. This book tackles it all!
Derek Shaw
Jun 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
As a homosexual man, I felt that Mr. Allberry's position towards the LGBT community is unsympathetic and unable to understand the core desire for connection and partnership that we all have. As God stated, "It is not good for man to be alone", and yet that is exactly what Mr. Allberry would expect of every LGBT person. It's sad and discouraging that this book can be so highly rated.
Jesvin Jose
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Our culture today is obsessed with freedom, at any cost! Homosexuality as such is a hot-button issue. Abortion is another. The church often hasn’t helped with clarity on these issues, with many churches giving in to cultural pressures, instead of being counter-cultural. Sam Allberry is a wise guide, helping Christians see the issue of homosexuality through a Biblical lens. I admire the clarity and wisdom in this book, especially the first few chapters. More importantly, I admire Sam’s compassion ...more
Mae Walker
I really appreciated how Sam fit all the relevant issues and questions to do with the topic of homosexuality back into the broader picture of the gospel. For example, living in a fallen world with sin's consequence, temptation itself not being a sin but a product of living in a sinful world (and something everyone including Jesus struggled with), the gospel and message of Jesus being the best news possible for everyone, and the call of Jesus to everyone to "deny [themselves] and take up their cr ...more
Paul Froehlich
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sam Allberry is a gay Christian who says his faith is "a wonderful source of comfort and joy." Yet that faith requires him to be single and celibate. Unless he changes his sexual orientation, he faces a life sentence of no sex and living alone. I can't imagine much joy in that, but to each his own.

A good marriage is one of the life factors most strongly and consistently associated with happiness, says psychologist Jonathan Haidt in ‎The Happiness Hypothesis. Those who enjoy a good marriage and t
Jerrod Griebel
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Last summer, I heard Sam Allberry speak at a CRU conference. His book “Is God Anti-gay?” is essentially his in-person testimony and teaching on the topic, but more developed and drawn out. At its core, I think Allberry’s scriptural evidence to support his argument is quite sound and difficult to disagree with. The only reason I gave this 4 stars (rather than 5) is because I think that his claims would have been stronger supported with more stories from his own life as well as from other SSA Chri ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
2017 Reading Chal...: Is God Anti-Gay? 1 21 Sep 18, 2015 02:45AM

• Transgender: Christian compassion, convictions and wisdom for today's big questions (Talking Points)
  • Stealing from God: Why Atheists Need God to Make Their Case
  • What Does the Bible Really Teach about Homosexuality?
  • Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
  • Washed and Waiting: Reflections on Christian Faithfulness and Homosexuality
  • Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been
  • Side by Side: Walking with Others in Wisdom and Love
  • Born Again This Way
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: An English Professor's Journey Into Christian Faith
  • When Pain Is Real and God Seems Silent: Finding Hope in the Psalms
  • What Is the Gospel?
  • The Hole in Our Holiness: Filling the Gap between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godliness
  • Holy Sexuality and the Gospel: Sex, Desire, and Relationships Shaped by God's Grand Story
  • Out of a Far Country: A Gay Son's Journey to God, a Broken Mother's Search for Hope
  • Delighting in the Trinity: An Introduction to the Christian Faith
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible
Sam comes from Sevenoaks in Kent, but studied theology at Wycliffe Hall in Oxford, and has since worked at St Ebbe's Church, Oxford, and now serves at a church in Maidenhead. Hobbies include reading, watching The West Wing and anything to do with South-East Asia.

Questions Christians Ask (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Why Did Jesus Have to Die? (Questions Christians Ask)
  • Is forgiveness really free?
  • Who on Earth Is the Holy Spirit?: And Other Questions about Who He Is and What He Does
  • What happens when I die? (Questions Christians Ask)
  • Did the Devil Make Me Do It?: And Other Questions about Satan, Demons and Evil Spirits
  • Can I Really Trust the Bible?
  • How Will the World End?
  • Why Bother With Church?: And other questions about why you need it and why it needs you
  • How Can I Be Sure?: And Other Questions about Doubt, Assurance and the Bible
  • What Makes Us Human?

News & Interviews

“It is the same for us all - 'whoever'. I am to deny myself, take up my cross and follow him. Every Christian is called to costly sacrifice. Denying yourself does not mean tweaking your behaviour here and there. It is saying 'no' to your deepest sense of who you are, for the sake of Christ. To take up a cross is to declare your life (as you have known it) forfeit. It is laying down your life for the very reason that your life, it turns out, is not yours at all. It belongs to Jesus. He made it. And through his death he has bought it.

Ever since I have been open about my own experiences with homosexuality, a number of Christians have said something like this: 'the gospel must be harder for you than it is for me', as though I have more to give up than they do. But the fact is that the gospel demands everything out of all of us. If someone thinks the gospel has somehow slotted into their life quite easily, without causing any major adjustments to their lifestyle or aspirations, it is likely that they have not really started following Jesus at all.”
6 likes
“As we reject God, we find ourselves craving what we are not naturally designed to do.” 3 likes