Start by marking “JFK: The Smoking Gun” as Want to Read:
JFK: The Smoking Gun

JFK: The Smoking Gun

"It's the gunshot that echoed around the world - but who pulled the trigger? McLaren unravels the cold case of the 20th century." - Andrew Rule, bestselling author of Underbelly

Assassination? Conspiracy? Evidence of the shocking truth is finally revealed.

On 22nd November 1963, the 35th president of the United States, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, and his wife Jackie were taking
Audio CD
Published December 15th 2013 by Bolinda Audio (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about JFK, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about JFK

Start your review of JFK: The Smoking Gun
Linda Lawrance
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kennedy
I never believed the Warren Commission was anything but a sham and I have read so many conspiracy theories over the years and I now truly believe that Colin McLaren has uncovered the devastating truth. I won't say anymore for fear of spoiling the book for other readers, except to say, this is the only book you ever need to read about the assassination of JFK.
Elaine
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a brilliant read and in my opinion what Colin McLaren is alleging is quite plausible and makes a lot of sense. Fifty years after the assassination of JFK there still seems to be a huge interest and many,many more conspiracy theories but I believe this book dispels many of these. I was shocked and saddened by some of the revelations in this book but unlike many other books on this subject it actually left me satisfied that this matter has finally been put to rest. I know that ...more
Carol
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ipad, ibook
WOW.. always been fascinated with everything to do with JFK and particularly his assassination. And always wondered.. there were so many inconsistencies with the investigations and the eye witness reports and total cock-ups by the different authorities and the Warren Commission (the author of this book describes it as the Commission of Omissions).

The books starts off with a deep background check of Less Harvey Oswald, his wife Marina and Jack Ruby. So I am thinking, right he is going for the
Brendan
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Retired and highly decorated Australian homicide detective Colin McLaren brings his years of investigative experience to bear on the case that has fascinated generations and spawned any number of elaborate conspiracy theories: the "assassination" of US President John F Kennedy. Four years of exhaustive research applying a thorough tooth comb to all 27 volumes of the Warren Commission Report, the transcripts of the House Select Committee on Assassinations, and the records of the Assassination ...more
Nada
Yeaaaaah,... NO.

This story that the author claimed would make a great Hollywood movie but not the ASSASSINATION of John F. Kennedy.
Mr. McLaren presented a lot of great points and evident that are certainly convincing to people who don't know more details and don't know how to analyze nor dig deep into real dirt because absolutely what Mr. McLaren said is NOT what actually happened that day.
No way in hell that a secret service agent would shoot a fatal shot -directly and ACCIDENTALLY- to the
Beth Bowles
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first theory I have ever seen regarding the assassination of JFK that has made sense. As far as I'm concerned, the verdict is in, and the killer was....well, you'll have to read the book. Meticulously researching over a number of years, the author has discovered the truth that the Warren Commission buried in thousands of pages. An excellent read. Highly recommended.
Simone
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initially I was reluctant to read another book about JFK. It's not that I'm not interested in the topic, just that there have been so many conspiracy theories, explanations etc and I thought this was just another one. However the fact that it was written by an Australian detective piqued my interest and then after watching the documentary of the same name, I was very keen to read the book.

Colin McLaren is a retired detective who has worked on some of the most gruesome crime scenes in Australia.
Rich
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very detailed and convincing account of the killing of JFK. In my opinion answers pretty conclusively two of the key questions surrounding the assassination:

1) The magic bullet issue

2) The exploding bullet, the final shot to hit, and ultimately kill President Kennedy.

If you are interested in history....I strongly suggest reading this book.
Rohan Loos
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mind blowing, thought provoking, thoroughly well researched and written. The irony here really is that such a well investigated and highly researched book makes me question even further what it states though. I understand the author to be s former detective and trust he has provided a balanced and accurate view of all of the evidence; but... how can I know that without reading the 3 metre high pile of papers?
The funny thing also is that the theory to pay to rest all conspiracy theories that this
Natalie
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fascinating book! Like anyone else, I had always heard much about JFK and what happened on that fateful date in November of 1963, but I had never really thought much about what might have actually took place. There are many conspiracy theories out there but this book does a marvellous job in looking purely at the evidence and many witness statements to come up with an answer - the result, I found, was astounding! Something I had actually never really heard of or considered before. The ...more
David Brown
This is an excellent book but it is clearly written by a detective. He gets a bit repetitive and way too carried away with detail. I was satisfied when he said, in connection with the three shots, that forty people described the last two as being close together. I did not need a list of all forty variations in description. He does this sort of thing regularly and it distracts from his narrative. In the same way he describes the Warren Commission report as being awash with detail which obscures ...more
Gwen Williams
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing read. Anyone who is interested in the assassination of JFK needs to read this book. It finally reveals the ineptitude and cover up of this investigation and what really happened. There is no conspiracy. Extraordinarily well researched and written - although a little repetitive at times. Highly recommended.
Deb
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Well worth reading. I enjoyed how the book was set out, allowing you to learn (or remember) all the players, and more.

As for being an answer of what happened that November 22, it is totally possible.
Jason Inglis
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Presents an interesting argument, but there are no references so it's hard to know how credible this book is
Amy
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read. Very detailed and informed book about his death
Chele Morel
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well written and brilliantly researched. A fresh take on the jfk assassination
Kevin Koppelmann
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting forensics although he also showed an agenda he was shooting for.
Graham Catt
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I should have spotted it - the garish cover and large print, the lack of any notes or bibliography. This professes to be a report of serious investigation, but is simply 'pulp non-fiction'. It's rare that a book makes me so angry that I throw it across the room. This was one of those books.

Colin McLaren, a retired detective from Australia, goes to great lengths to establish his credibility as an investigator, then proceeds to exaggerate, embellish, misquote and misinterpret his way through the
Evelina
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Kathryn
I watched a documentary of this book last year, with the 50th anniversary of the assassination of JFK. Colin McLaren’s theory of who shot JFK is startling, but actually does make sense. Throughout the book, he does rather belabour some of his points, making for repetitive reading. In my opinion, a better editor would have made greater use of his or her red pen, making for tighter writing that would have been an easier read.

At the time of watching the documentary, I wondered whether the book went
Finding Fifth
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
The research undertaken by ex-detective Colin McLaren is admirable. If only someone as astute as he were allowed to secure the crime scene and body of President Kennedy, then fifty years of speculation and conspiracy theory may have been avoided. Although I am not convinced by his explosive revelation of who exactly fired the deadly 'head shot', I was convinced that Oswald did not! The book is easy to read and becomes a page turner in parts. I got a tad tired of the exclamation marks though. ...more
Doug
Apr 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is really convincing. McLaren details so much evidence of secret service incompetence that it all seems to fit so neatly. The first half if the book is great, outlining the stories of various individuals involved. But by the second half he has basically made his point but he keeps on going for another hundred pages. It just feels disorganised and it ends up finishing with a whimper.
Deborah Grover
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am completely convinced this is the story of what actually happened that day in Dallas. It explains why the entire story was shrouded in mystery all those years, and further, why most people believe a conspiracy was behind it. After reading it, and comprehending the ballistics portions of the analysis, you will know in your heart this is what happened.
Phil Dutton
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
loved it. one of those books you can't put down -and as McLaren noted in the book, even the best script writers could not have done such a masterful job. and this one was directed by no-one. the best "who done it" you could ask for. and it's tied to one of the most notable events in recent history. read it!
Lee Baker
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I took my time reading this book mainly because I saw the TV program that was made about the book so nothing was new. The detail Mclaren goes into in this book, his years of research and his reasoning all lead me to believe his conclusion is correct. Read the book and reach your own conclusion - I'm sold!
James
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, 2013
-SPOILIERS ALERT-
Well, I'm convinced anyway. The author puts forward a highly likely scenario where the final and fatal headshot sustained by Kennedy was as a result of the tragic accident of an inexperienced Secret Service agent.
Liara Rozsa-brown
Not my thing really. But gave it a go as a book swap with a friend. The answers were clear half way through the book and I felt the repeating of the same facts boring and long winded. ( I accept some repeating is necessary in this genre but if felt like overkill.)
wen b
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly believe it because there were so much cover-up and this book is so plausible I believe it
Raphael Martinez
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this book clearly points the true reason of the death of JFK 51 years ago. may this book correct history, that Lee Harvey Oswald is the lone suspect.
Shannon Malnory-silbernagel
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book that debunks almost every known theory on the assassination of JFK. Makes you question what really happened and why so much was covered up in the following months.

• Chernobyl: The History of a Nuclear Catastrophe
  • The Ghost Fields (Ruth Galloway, #7)
  • The Farseekers: 2
  • The Missing Hours
  • Hiroshima Nagasaki: The Real Story of the Atomic Bombings and Their Aftermath
  • Addicted?: How Addiction Affects Every One of Us and What We Can Do About It
  • E=mc²: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation
  • Ruth's First Christmas Tree  (Ruth Galloway, #4.5)
  • A Dying Fall (Ruth Galloway, #5)
  • When Google Met Wikileaks
  • Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1)
  • A Brief History of the Universe: From Ancient Babylon to the Big Bang
  • The Secret Lives of Planets: A User's Guide to the Solar System – BBC Sky At Night's Best Astronomy and Space Books of 2019
  • Inside WikiLeaks: My Time with Julian Assange at the World's Most Dangerous Website
  • Wednesdays with Bob
  • Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation
  • The Promise of a Pencil: How an Ordinary Person Can Create Extraordinary Change
  • 102 Minutes: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers
Colin McLaren was one of Australia's best detectives; he travelled the world on high-end investigations during the 1980s and 1990s. He faced down the underbelly of Australian crime and his work has been the subject of many police genre documentaries and television series. A film of his own life, based on his hugely successful first book Infiltration, the true story of his efforts as an undercover ...more