Start by marking “Dazzled” as Want to Read:
Dazzled

Read Excerpt

Dazzled

(Five Star Mystery)

During a brutal L.A. heatwave, four people are murdered in the Hollywood Hills and Nikki Easton's best friend Darla Ward has disappeared. The police think she might be one of the victims.

No stranger to life's rough side, Nikki survived the streets as a teenage runaway and now brings that edge to her acting roles. But she has never seen anything like the battered girl on t
Published October 23rd 2013 by Five Star Mystery, A Division of Gale/Cengage
Featured Notes & Highlights
Maxine
Maxine - author

To ask other readers questions about Dazzled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dazzled

Start your review of Dazzled
 Reading Reindeer
Heather Ames
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So well written that although the ending seemed to be pretty much standard for a first book (what is it with this plot-reveal that it is used so frequently? Do editors actually seek this out and think it'll be the most sensational way to bump up the readership?) the remaining 98% carried me through that. Phrasing, metaphors, characterizations were all stellar. And now, I see there were no more Nikki Easton Mysteries, despite this appearing to be the first in a series. Perhaps because this was a ...more
Julie
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dazzled by Maxine Nunes is a November 2013 release published by Five Star Mystery a division of Gale/Cengage. I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Nikki Easton's best friend is MIA. Something is off and Nikki is very concerned about her friend. Nikki's worst fears come to fruition when the body of a badly beaten woman is found.

But, Nikki can't get the idea out of her mind that the unrecognizable dead women is not Darla. This idea gets the attention of a detective who v
Peggy
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The characters, plot and dialogue brought me back to my favorite genre, "Film Noir". I was transported back to Humphrey Bogart's apartment in The Maltese Falcon. His famous speech to Mary Aster about the toothpaste and how she needs to be the "fall guy". I am so impressed by the author's ability to blend the noir of the 40's with the present sex, drugs and rock n' roll culture of todays L.A. The book is full of twists and turns and characters who are not always who they seem t ...more
Kathy
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I met the author at a bookstore event and was intrigued enough by the book cover blurb and the fact that the story took place in modern-day Hollywood to get on the list at the library to read the book. I'm not generally a fan of the "noir" genre. However, I got caught up in this story and in following the twists and turns of the multi-layered plot. The ending is surprising (something I never saw coming). After I finished the book, I went back over key turns in the plot and admired the author's s ...more
Henry Jay Forman
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
People keep dying in this fast paced action filled mystery. The heroine, Nikki Easton, a struggling actress, faces danger and turbulent romance. Nikki takes risks that most sane people would be unlikely to do; however, the reader soon realizes that she is not conventional in many of her decisions. Highly enjoyable even for a reader, who usually reads different styles of mysteries.
Connie
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
fast paced Hollywood novel with multiple plots and steamy scenes
Ray
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Likeable characters with a easy to follow storyline. The ending even came as a suprise, which is a rarity these days. Enjoyable book, that doesn't consume all of your time, but will leave you wanting a bit more each time you put it down.

We received this book for free via Goodreads First Reads.
Laurel Paretta
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fast-paced page turner that takes the reader deep into Hollywood noir, riveting one's attention on the tough Miss Nikki Easton as she chases clues to find out who killed her best friend and why. Written in a true literary style while the plot thickens and the reader ends up with quite a surprise. Looking for more of Nikki Easton and Maxine Nunes.
Anthony
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good crime drama, all the twists and turns expected of the genre and more. For all you Stephanie Plum fans out there; time to let go of that redundant circle of the East Coast and spend some time on the West Side.
Catherine Gigante-Brown
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! A real page-turner, expertly written. The characters were so real and beautifully realized. It kept you guessing until the last line. Highly recommended.
Lidja
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Quick read. Fast moving story. But the cut-to-the-quick descriptions of LA and Hollywood are the dazzling parts of this somewhat melodramatic novel.
Paula
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kept me turning the pages except when she kind of ground through a slow scene of guns in the desert. Stayed up late to finish the book. Really liked Nikki.
Dianne Emley
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dazzled is a page-turning journey through the Hollywood underworld. Lots of surprises and about as noir as they come. Highly recommended.
April Mayer
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love love love fast pace great read:)
Woody
Tonya Plank
Jul 07, 2015
Brucie
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
interesting characters and Los Angeles theatre people and cops.

Five Star Mystery (8 books)
  • The Death of an Ambitious Woman