Start by marking “Book of Proof” as Want to Read:
Book of Proof

Book of Proof

This book is an introduction to the language and standard proof methods of mathematics. It is a bridge from the computational courses (such as calculus or differential equations) that students typically encounter in their first year of college to a more abstract outlook. It lays a foundation for more theoretical courses such as topology, analysis and abstract algebra. Alth ...more
Published May 31st 2013 by Richard Hammack (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Proof, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Proof

Start your review of Book of Proof
David Sarkies
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Playing with Numbers
22 June 2018 - Sydney

Well, what do you know, a university textbook that doesn’t actually break the bank. In fact a University text book that actually costs you absolutely nothing. I’m definitely going to give this book some good marks for that. Yeah, I remember the last time I was at Uni and the most expensive aspect of it was the books (well, yes, the fees, but the government technically pays for that). In fact when I did Law you could be assured that the yearly boo
David Molnar
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding. I have used this as a supplemental text in a few courses, and would totally consider adopting it as the primary text for the right course. There is certainly enough here for a full semester's work. And, it's open source, which means it is not only free (the author's website is a google away) but also remixable - meaning, you are free to create and distribute your own version of the text under a creative commons license (Outstanding. I have used this as a supplemental text in a few courses, and would totally consider adopting it as the primary text for the right course. There is certainly enough here for a full semester's work. And, it's open source, which means it is not only free (the author's website is a google away) but also remixable - meaning, you are free to create and distribute your own version of the text under a creative commons license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b...) as long as you do so under the same license as the original.

Very little is assumed of the reader at the beginning, which surprisingly is not a given for such a text. There is a potentially useful chapter on combinatorics - basic stuff (multiplication principle, factorials, Pascal's triangle, a little inclusion-exclusion) that we can't necessarily assume our students have seen in high school. Standard techniques including proof by contradiction and mathematical induction are well-represented. The material on cardinality (at the end of the book) is nice.

Two things stand out about Book of Proof, compared not only to other free books, but compared to any other books for a "proofs" or "transitions" course: first, the proofs presented herein are not all presented in a finished form; Hammack develops them in a way that reflects the thought process. Second, there are tons of completely written-out proofs in the answers section at the back.

I contend that these are very significant things, and that they are sufficient for anyone teaching a course of this nature to consider adopting this text. I see no reason not to at least add it as a supplemental text - not just in the "transitions" course, but for other courses where students will be struggling with the same issues, eg. Discrete Math.
Sung Yoon
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't try to use this book to win an argument against your wife.
Parnell
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book if you want to know how to read and understand proofs or how to derive proofs yourself.

I can confidently recommend this book to autodidacts. I studied it in my personal study hour in the morning before work.

Richard Hammack is clearly an adept teacher; he masterfully structured this book with a range of student exposure to the material in-mind. From the complete beginner (as in my case, I only had highschool algebra with some non-rigorously, self-
Kyle
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hammacks's Book of Proof is a wonderful introduction to the world of upper division mathematics. I think that this book would be perfect to read before starting with LA/DEs and I wish I had read it before taking those classes. Hammack gently leads the reader through many important mathematic concepts that are taken as understood by the reader in many upper division classes. This books is a must read for anyone going into upper division math, regardless of major!
Michael Chan
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, owned
It introduces the fundamental concepts of Discrete Mathematics and Proofs. You will learn the basic syntax languages used by Mathematicians.

The theories are explained with Proofs, described in a clear and concise way, with sufficient exercises at the end. I went thru the exercises, and took me awhile to finish, but it was enjoyable.

Topics include: Sets, Logic, Counting, Relations, Functions, Set Cardinality
Proof methods include: Direct, Contrapositive, Contradiction
Dhiraj Kumar
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are certain ways to write a mathematical proof. We all know that but the unfortunate thing is we are rarely taught that. This book provides the foundation which enables one to be confident about their proofs and write more rigorous proofs.
I will come back to this book again and again.
Helena Zhu
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A comprehensive and excellent introduction to proofs, includes answers to odd-number exercises.
Brian C Albrecht
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grad-prep
I feel weird giving 5 stars to a book about proofs. It's not a great book in the sense that The Great Gatsby is. Getting over that, I'm assuming anyone who would look at this book would know what to expect from it.

It has a specific job, to teach basic proofs. At that job, it is the best book available. You can get the PDF for free on Prof. Hammack's website, but I bought the physical copy. So before you start your Real Analysis course with Baby Rudin or your graduate economics course
hyacinth
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Delightful and challenging. More succinct than Velleman's How to Prove It.
Hb20007 (Hanna)
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best math textbooks that I have read in college, also happens to be the one which didn't cost me a single buck
Ramesh
May 28, 2014 marked it as to-read
Thus far, the most accessible illustration of the implication operation's logic table......
Dienekes
May 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• How to Solve It: A New Aspect of Mathematical Method
  • Assata: An Autobiography
  • The Economic War Against Cuba: A Historical and Legal Perspective on the U.S. Blockade
  • Physics
  • A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra)
  • Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus
  • The Cape
  • Sweet Tooth: Deluxe Edition, Book Three
  • Linear Algebra and Its Applications [with CD-ROM]
  • Allegro ma non troppo. Con Le leggi fondamentali della stupidità umana
  • The Theoretical Minimum: What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics (Theoretical Minimum #1)
  • Philosophical Investigations
  • Bloomberg by Bloomberg

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Mathematics is filled with such instances where it is important to regard one set as a subset of another.” 1 likes
“Sets are fundamental because every mathematical structure,
object or entity can be described as a set. Logic is fundamental because it
allows us to understand the meanings of statements, to deduce information
about mathematical structures and to uncover further structures.”
0 likes