Start by marking “Unholy Orders” as Want to Read:
Unholy Orders

Unholy Orders

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  9 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The Church of England, like its Catholic counterpart, is not without its failings. But for a chancer like Richard Walker, who discovers himself a part of this august institution, the possibilities are endless. Richard wants to ensure the future security of his family...but it comes with a price. He soon discovers all the hypocrisy and double standards that the Church would ...more
Published October 1st 2013 by Thames River Press

To ask other readers questions about Unholy Orders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unholy Orders

Geoff Hancock
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I thought the actual story had great potential. I wasn't sure what to expect from the hype I'd read on twitter. I was afraid it was just going to be another expose of vicars sexual perversions.
I was pleasantly surprised as it was equally disturbing as an expose of financial mismanagement of C of E funds by corrupt building contractors.
I would love to have given it a higher rating but I felt the author had obviously done his own editing on screen.
I know from my own experience of editing my own wo
Nicolas Wilson
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Both my wife and I looked at it, and had substantial problems getting past issues with the writing. I hate giving critical reviews, but neither of us could write any other kind of review for this one. There's some interesting insight into a particular era of fiscal corruption in the Church of England here, but it's hidden beneath stilted writing, uneven editing, problematic content, and flat characters. Here's a summary of the issues that we saw in it.

I'd advise the author to spend some time res
Hock Tjoa
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is a longish book with good writing but no plot, no character development, no "why." It is a litany of the imperfections of a man and an organization, neither of which is written up to be of any interest other than in and of themselves, i.e., as if they were disclosures rather than disclosures that move a story along.

The author seems also mistaken in referring to sodomizing young boys as a "sexual orientation"; would he refer to what serial rapists do as a sexual orientation? Child molestat
Megan
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, I would just like to say how much different this book turned out to be from my initial expectations. By this I mean it is very, VERY good.

The writing style is very successful, in that once you begin to read, you can't stop until you're finished. It is also very descriptive and entertaining, to say the least. There are moments of utmost seriousness as well as moments of humour, these are balanced out across the 362 pages very comfortably.

Richard, is a very believable main character, as a
Brenda Cheers
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Unholy Orders” is an interesting story, mainly because it is a fictionalised account of what actually happened to the author, Roger Bishop, during his ‘years employed at a senior management level, by the Corporation of the Church House, Westminster London’.
Roger is clearly an intelligent man who has a lot to say about the Church of England. Some is positive, (as in his friendship with the Archbishop of Canterbury), but mostly the story is a warts-and-all account of corruption and mismanagement
Samuel
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
For me, the opening chapter of this book lacked a hook, and I did have to persevere with the first few chapters before the story engaged me. There are some very interesting insights into corruption in the C of E, although I found some of the description a little dense.

There were relatively few typos and grammatical errors, and certainly nothing to disrupt the flow of the narrative, though I found some of the dialogue a little stilted in parts.

I feel that the C of E is a rather easy target at t
Jacqueline
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this very interesting book. Great job, especially by a first time author. The main character Richard did a remarkable job of bettering his position. He never forgot who his friends were and I admire that very much. His rise to power in the organization was amazing and afforded him so many wonderful experiences but he never forgot his beginnings. Happy endings are always wonderful since I found myself holding my breath a few times. I think it would be a very good movie.
Kathy
Oct 15, 2013
Cliff Letts
Apr 05, 2014
Wonderperson89
Dec 16, 2013 added it
Shelves: fiction
Review will be published elsewhere NOT on GRamazon.
Sherrie
added it
Dec 26, 2013
Book Marketing fo...: Corruption within the Church 1 6 Jan 02, 2014 02:18AM
Would you or wouldn't you? 2 4 Dec 18, 2013 08:46PM
Book Marketing fo...: Do you listen to your conscience? 6 13 Dec 18, 2013 08:37PM
Fiction Writers: faction as opposed to fiction 1 9 Dec 17, 2013 07:51AM
Born and bred in the UK, but resident in Ireland since 2002. As a former structural engineer I got to travel over much of this planet of ours before settling here in Ireland over a decade ago.
My first novel UNHOLY ORDERS was released in October 2013, and is based upon my experiences whilst employed by the Church of England. I learned a lot about the internal working of the church at this time, not
More about Roger Bishop