Start by marking “Game, Set and Murder” as Want to Read:
Game, Set and Murder

Game, Set and Murder

(A Mystery for D.I. Costello #1)

Published October 18th 2013 by Lion Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Game, Set and Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game, Set and Murder

Susan
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-england
Petar Belic, a beloved retired tennis championship, is found dead at Wimbledon arena just as the annual tournament is starting. This gives newly promoted D.I. Angela Costello the chance to revel in the tennis atmosphere while she investigates just what happened to Belic. For a universally admired man, he seems to have a number of people who might want to kill him. Angela feels under pressure with this high-profile case, but uses her people skills and imagination to solve this series starter.
Laura Verret
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wimbledon meets murder mystery? I think yes.

The Story.

Wimbledon was the scene of Petar Belic’s greatest accomplishments as a tennis player. Few would have guessed that it would also be the scene of his death - but it is there that he is found sprawled out on Court 19, murdered.

Newly promoted detective inspector Angela Costello has always been a huge fan of tennis and of Belic particularly. When she is given Belic’s murder as her first case as a D.I., she is thrilled – and nervous. She’s always b
Iestyn Henson
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hmm.... A pretty well written murder mystery, though for those of us brought up on the TV-detective in the UK, it felt (just a little) like the novel of an episode of something-or-other. May be the author's own creative background, but much of the story was told in dialogue and discussion rather than author-observation; it could have been a script. This is by way of my own observation of course - it's not a 'criticism' per se, it works very well.

Good length for the story, nicely written characte
Vickie
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this English suspense. Mainly due to the main character, Angela Costello, newly promoted Detective Inspector.
The mystery is finely done, but I liked the character development and the hiccups along the investigation. There are truculent coworkers, snotty suspects, false leads. It's more along the lines of how I think an investigation would work.
Angela handles it pretty well. She has a great sense of humor and a good head on her shoulders.
She's married to a pretty nifty guy who
Carmel
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Certainly not the worst book I’ve ever read but not great either. I guessed the murderer about two thirds the way through and forced myself to finish. The dialog and characters are cliched and therefore there was no real tension, or real feeling at all or that matter (funny bits were lame, romantic bits were corny, scary bits were so not scary, etc). Like reading a lame midday movie.
Patti
This is a classic British police procedural, and just what I was looking for!
Lipsy
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013, crime
For more reviews head to http://lipsyy.wordpress.com

If you haven't noticed, I'm a massive tennis fan. 'Oh but it's so boring' I hear you cry...err no, you are wrong! And strangely enough this debut crime novel by Elizabeth Flynn evoked in me that same thrill and anxiousness I get when watching an epic tennis match which makes me able to say just that..you are wrong. :p

Game, Set and Murder, as you'd imagine starts with a murder. We are instantly thrust into the mystery surrounding the body of t
Sally
Game, Set and Murder was quietly released back in October, but a Christian novel set at Wimbledon? This tennis fan couldn’t resist. There’s an Eastern European former tennis champion turned coach to a top British player. That sounded familiar. However, that’s where the similarities with Andy Murray end. Young Stewart isn’t even in the top 100 on tour, never mind the top 10, and his parents are firmly in control of his career. He’s also a bit of a party boy and isn’t in a long term relationship. ...more
Kat
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Kat's Review

Anytime I see a novel that deals with sports in some manner, I can't help but read it. I'm a huge tennis fan, and I love the idea of a murder mystery set against the backdrop of Wimbledon. Elizabeth Flynn manages to place a full-blown police investigation during what is perhaps the most popular tennis tournament in the world, with players as suspects.

Angela Costello, police officer and tennis fan, leads her team in the investigation, separating fact from speculation and unraveling
Damaskcat
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
DI Angela Costello – newly promoted – is put in charge of the investigation into the suspicious death of former tennis star Petar Belic whose body is found on Court 19 at Wimbledon on the opening day of the championships. Angela is a long time tennis fan and she has no trouble recognising the body when she first sees it but who on earth would have wished him dead? No one seems to have a bad word to say against him – even his estranged wife.

It soon become clear that there is a great deal more goi
Paul Trembling
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very finally crafted and carefully plotted crime novel, in which the reader is taken step by step through the investigation process. Layer after layer of evidence is carefully sifted through as the Police team work their way through to the truth.

The mystery element – just who killed Petar Belic, and why? - is the main driver for the story, but it's given extra depth by the strong character development. That's on all levels - even the minor characters come across as authentic individual
Mike Gabor
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: british-mystery
It’s the first day of the tennis tournament at Wimbledon. And a dead body is lying on court nineteen. Newly-promoted detective inspector Angela Costello recognizes the dead man as the Croatian champion-turned-coach, Petar Belic. Double grand-slam winner, Petar was one of the best-known and best loved players of the modern era. Petar had a complicated life: an ex-wife who wanted him back; a girlfriend who didn’t want to let him go; a business partner with secrets. Then there was leading Brit Stew ...more
Kristine
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Original review found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

* I received a copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review.*

This is a cozy "whodunnit" with Wimbledon as the backdrop. Although I am not a tennis fan I was still able to enjoy the story because it never got too technical or carried away with tennis terms. It centred more on the players than the actual game.

The story revolves around detective inspector Angela Costello as she and her team investiga
Joni
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read that begins with murder on the first day of the Wimbledon tennis tournament as well as the first day of Angela Costello being Detective Inspector. Putting together a team of established detectives and young recruits, D.I. Costello navigates a world she has always loved and her knowledge of the tennis world gives her added insight for the case. Although a bit simplistic at times (I had figured out the murderer, motive, and modus operandi early on), the way in which the reveal happe ...more
S.C. Skillman
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this a very elegantly written crime detective novel which provides a wonderful recreation of the atmosphere of Wimbledon fortnight. The main protagonist D.I Angela Costello is a very attractive character-a kind, compassionate, sensitive and caring person. Throughout her investigation into the murder she shows a lot of emotional intelligence. Elizabeth Flynn is particularly good on showing how people react when they are caught off guard by a question and then compute whether to tell the t ...more
Becky
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
GAME, SET, and MURDER by Elizabeth Flynn
If you like tennis and you like cozy murder mysteries you will love this book. Detective Inspector Angela Costello is on her first case as a DI when a beloved tennis star is found dead under suspicious circumstances. Costello is a likeable character who thinks carefully through the clues and suspects. Red herrings abound with the suspect tennis players and their friends (enemies?) who are individuals and not stock characters. The plot is full of surprises
Diana
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I am not a tennis fan - my knowledge of the sport or The Wimbledon Championships were pretty much non-existent at the time I've read the book.

However, even without being a tennis fan, I really enjoyed the book. I like how it portrayed the marriage of Angela, her relationship with her colleagues and the relationships between the characters in general. I also really appreciated the fact that, for the most part, it wasn't overly-dramatic.

Also, the book was easy to read and pretty fast-paced.

Disclo
Lisa
On her first day as a detective inspector, Angie Costello is handed a suspicious death case. When she arrives at the scene of the crime,the prestigious Wimbledon courts,she is dismayed to discover that it is the body of one of her childhood idols, Petar Belich, former tennis champion and coach of a young up-and-coming tennis star.
I remember playing tennis with my Mom in the summer and watching Wimbledon on the TV when Bjorn Borg was my idol. I love the setting, the characters, and I will definit
Grey853
Apr 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
There's been a death on Wimbledon court on the first day of the tournament. DI Angela Costello catches the case on the first day after her promotion. The story is a procedural format through most of it, with lapses into something more casual when it deals with her personal life.

The mystery is an easy read. The killer is pretty obvious by about halfway through, but it was more interesting to read how they'd catch him.

If you like tennis or sports mysteries, this one might amuse you.

Sarah Adamson
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a really great mystery - a traditional English mystery set at the start of the great Wimbledon championship when a former player and now trainer is found dead on one of the courts.
A nice cozy, some really clever writing, some nice twists although I did "get" the murderer before I was told. I hope to see more from this author. I particularly love the relationship of the police detective and her husband. Very nicely done.
Fran Hill
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Elizabeth Flynn's book which begins with a body being found on a Wimbledon tennis court. Any tennis fans who also like a good story will enjoy it. I particularly liked its main female detective character, DI Costello, and I enjoyed the portrayal of her marriage as well as the hunt for the killer itself. I can imagine the story as a film.
Patty
Jun 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
I snagged this paperback at the library thinking it might be an okay, quick read on a topic I'm interested in. It was quick, and I'm interested in the topic - Wimbledon as a setting for murder - but I couldn't deal with the writing. The dialog was stilted, the setting poorly developed (and I've been there!), and the plot slow and jumpy all at the same time.
Val
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Hard to believe this is a first novel. It is very well done. D.I. Angela Costello shines in her first case as a detective inspector, bringing in an ability to listen to people. I'm looking forward to future installments of this series - well done!
Voirrey
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: detective, read-2016
Fascinating detective story. All the twists and turns really worked for me - and it was good to have a DI in her 40s as the central character - and a very real person she seems, too, a tennis fan with a happy home life.
Rochelle Tindall
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. A great British Who-Done-It with the added backdrop of the Wimbledon Tournament as the "scene of the crime." A great read. I hope there'll be more D.I. Costello books from Elizabeth Flynn.
Tanyam
Aug 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
I love tennis and seeing this one at the library was very happy. Happy no more. The book is very badly written. The idea and the plot are good, but putting it written form, not. One of the worst books I have ever read!
Carrie
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a book on my reading list, which is probably the only reason I finished it. While interesting, the story dragged at times and I figured out the ending in the first half of the book. I really enjoyed the connection with tennis. I love Wimbledon, so that helped me get through to the end.
Dogsandbooks
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
Quite enjoyable. Police procedural, well drawn characters, of course English. A 3.7 but forced to round up. First by this author. Dpl book.
Donald Davidson
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the attention to sport detail along with the twists in the plot. a lovely read
Pamela
Mar 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Not worth your time....

• Don't Die Under the Apple Tree
  • The Picasso Scam (Charlie Priest, #1)
  • Bedlam (The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë, #2)
  • Dead Men Don't Ski
  • The Salton Killings (Chief Inspector Woodend, #1)
  • Death of a Lovable Geek (Dotsy Lamb, #2)
  • A Cotswold Killing (Thea Osborne, #1)
  • The Transcendental Murder (Homer Kelly, #1)
  • The Serpent's Daughter (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #3)
  • Blondes Have More Felons (December Vaughn, #1)
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
  • Drop Dead on Recall  (Animals in Focus, #1)
  • Murder on the Cliffs (Daphne du Maurier Mysteries, #1)
  • Hooked on Ewe (Scottish Highlands, #2)
  • Dogs Don't Lie (Pru Marlowe, #1)
  • Saints Preserve Us
  • The Darkness Knows (Viv and Charlie Mystery #1)
  • Murder at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #1)

A Mystery for D.I. Costello (3 books)
  • Dead Gorgeous (A Mystery for D.I. Costello #2)
  • End of the Roadie (A Mystery for D.I. Costello #3)