Start by marking “Cows of Our Planet” as Want to Read:
Cows of Our Planet

Cows of Our Planet

(Far Side Collection #13)

This new collection of cartoons is a bovine celebration of the author's fascination with cows.
Published November 26th 1992 by Warner Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Cows of Our Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cows of Our Planet

description
Hell's video store
Maria Lago
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having a bad day? Here, take this book.
Nathan Albright
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge-2020
This amusing little book only contains a little bit of information about the cows of our planet, the fanciful theme that the title would indicate. The cartoons related to that theme are in the middle of the book in a pull out section that includes a lot of very entertaining imaginary cow varieties, some of them lamentably labeled as extinct, that only Gary Larson or someone who thinks like him could imagine but that can be appreciated by all. And in general this book contains a great deal of hum ...more
Andy Hickman
May 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
COWS OF OUR PLANET by Gary Larson
Far Side collection. Almost exclusively cartoons based on a subtle word play. Some make you smile:
• Hell’s suggestion box
• God with the “smite” button
… but the sequences become rapidly monotonous

Shirley Yant
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Goofy and fun to read
Ben
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun quick comic book of Far Side.
Carly Kirk
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laughed out loud a whole lot and loved the foldout "cows of the world" poster!
Mr. Steve
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny
Gary Larson is a mad genius
Thomas
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
COWS!!!
Nicholas Bobbitt
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It's Gary Larson. Of course I love his insane humor.
Kasey Wilson
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Larsen does it again.
The sheer amount of comedy chickens deliver in this book has to be read to be believed.
Karen
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Far Side!
Phillip Parker
A quick, fun read for those of us who have a slightly bent sense of humor. The Far Side was one of my favorite comic strips.
Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a while since I sat down and read any of Gary Larson's The Far Side. This comic strip used to be one of my favorites, as I love the one line zingers. I had never read any of the comic strips included in Cows of Our Planet in the newspapers, so these were all new to me. Although I found that I really enjoyed reading this book, I discovered that a lot of them weren't as funny as the ones Gary Larson created in his earlier years. Sure, some of them made me smile. Some of them made me la ...more
David Caldwell
When I was working in any of the many bookstores where I was employed and I did not want (or have the time) to read my current book, I would grab one of these collections to read on my too short break. I slowly but surely worked my way through several series. These are great time killers and will usually improve your mood no matter how hectic the day. Laughter can be the best solution to dealing with the public.

Some authors seem to have a fascination with certain places or things. Stephen King i
Lynley
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: america, funny
Having recently read a bit of Shaun Tan, some of the cartoons reminded me of him.
This is American, obviously, and there are a couple of frames that I just don't get no matter how long I look at them. This volume contains quite a few spoofs on cowboy movie tropes as well as lots of new interpretations of English idioms using lesser known animals and a running gag between a couple of guys stranded on a desert island. My favourite is the roomful of middle-aged unlikely looking karate players who lo
Lukeb
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I personally thought that this was Gary Larson's best books ever. As I am writing this review I have the book sitting next to me and every once in a while I will read a comic and every single one of them were hilarious. The best are Larson's weird, amazing, and of course funny cows of our planet. such as the Tennessee big butt, the Polynesian puffer cow, and the Norwegian one-eyed smiler. Not including 20 other weird, amazing, and funny cows of our planet.
Mark
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, far-side, comics
Another fantastic slice of Larson's universe, this was published in 1992 and doesn't really focus on cows (though there is an amusing colour foldout in the centre). Always amusing, the top panels for me were the devils laughing at the suggestions, "Henry never knew what hit him" and the karate class witnessing a close encounter. Great stuff, highly recommended.
Sandi
Apr 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fun
Unlike many of Larson's earlier Far Side cartoons, almost every one of these were lame or blah. only three or four were clever or funny, which is not enough to redeem a book of insipid, uninspired cartoons. This is where someone who is paid to churn out stuff day after day loses that creative spark. Oh well. Luckily I did not waste much money on the book.
Kai Wilson
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 25-in-25
I really liked this book. I have not read any other of the Far Side collection books, but I plan to if they are anything like this one. I laughed at every turn. I recommend this book to anyone who has a good sense of humor.
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I think Larson is terribly funny. Yeah, every science lab or office in the US probably had at least one (often many) Far Side cartoons up on the door or walls back then. Now, I expect it's mostly XKCD. Sick geeky humor, I'm so there.
St-Michel
Jan 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 1995
Ridiculous and humourous with a lovely colour foldout of the cows of our planet.
jacky
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Just as good as the others. None of them in particular stand out in my memory.
Roasterx
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
What can I say?

Is there a bad Far Side book?

Read them and laugh.
Jess
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z_09, comic
If you like Far Side books, you'll like this one. My favorites are "Well, here we are, my little chickadee," "Where the deer and the antelope work," and "The first dirt capades."
Meadow
Oct 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Hazel picked this book, while I was looking for the doll clothes. "Look! It is full of pictures! Pictures of cows!"

I am raising a nerd.
Rebekah
Dec 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Not much is funnier the farside.
Barry
Sep 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-misc
Standard Far Side fare: some really funny, some I didn't get at all.
SmarterLilac
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Funny, even if some of the jokes are a tad bit dated now (especially the references to late '80s/early '90s coffee culture.)
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gary Larson is really a Genius

• The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
  • It's a Magical World (Calvin and Hobbes #11)
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1: 1950-1952
  • The Revenge of the Baby-Sat (Calvin and Hobbes #5)
  • Llama Destroys the World
  • Before Watchmen: Comedian/Rorschach
  • Rick and Morty vs. Dungeons & Dragons II: Painscape
  • Golden Rules: Wit and Wisdom of the Golden Girls
  • The Dark
  • Star Wars Be More Lando: How to Get What You Want (and Look Good Doing It)
  • Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons (Calvin and Hobbes #7)
  • Freedom Riders: John Lewis and Jim Zwerg on the Front Lines of the Civil Rights Movement
  • Be More Yoda: Mindful Thinking from a Galaxy Far Far Away
  • Star Wars Be More Leia: Find Your Rebel Voice and Fight the System
  • An Incurable Case of Love, Vol. 1
  • An Incurable Case of Love, Vol. 3
  • An Incurable Case of Love, Vol. 2
  • Songs to Make the Dust Dance: The Ryojin Hisho of Twelfth-Century Japan
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl

Far Side Collection (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Far Side
  • The Far Side Observer
  • Night of the Crash-Test Dummies
  • Wildlife Preserves

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...