Start by marking “Earthrise (Her Instruments, #1)” as Want to Read:
Earthrise (Her Instruments, #1)

Earthrise

(Her Instruments #1)

Reese Eddings has enough to do just keeping her rattletrap merchant vessel, the TMS Earthrise, profitable enough to pay food for herself and her micro-crew. So when a mysterious benefactor from her past shows up demanding she rescue a man from slavers, her first reaction is to say "NO!" And then to remember that she sort of promised to repay the loan. But she doesn't remem ...more
Published June 5th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published April 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Earthrise, please sign up.
Graham Downs Oh, absolutely it moves on. It's just flavour, that's all. It's mentioned as an idiosyncrasy of Irine and Sacha's race, nothing more. It's definitely …moreOh, absolutely it moves on. It's just flavour, that's all. It's mentioned as an idiosyncrasy of Irine and Sacha's race, nothing more. It's definitely not explored in any way.

You're quite safe. This isn't erotica. :-)(less)

Start your review of Earthrise (Her Instruments, #1)
carol.
Taken for what it is, Earthrise is perfectly enjoyable. The captain of a ragtag ship with a mysterious benefactor has a favor called in–a rescue of one of the mysterious Eldritch who is about to be sold off to slavers. Serious trouble ensues.

It’s a big universe, but most of the beings in it are human or human-adjacent, either purposefully or environmentally modified, and Hogarth has fun with it. The crew has a pair of cat-like beings, a centaur-like being, a taciturn bird-like Phoenix, and a cre
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
💀 Well I'll Be Damned the MacHalos Actually Picked a Non Despicable Book to Read for Once Buddy Read (WIBDtMHAPaNDBtRfOBR™). With the MacHalos. Duh 💀

Actual rating: 4.5 stars. Yeah yeah yeah, I know, I'm on a nauseating book-loving roll. So sorry about that. I promise to read some pure, undiluted crap ASAP.

⚠️ Friendly warning: Petronilla, my air-headed, blonde mojo with a silly smirk on her face is still unavailable at the moment. Read this thing at your own risk.

Okayyyy…So this little book right
Choko
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
*** 3.75 ***

A buddy read with the MacHalo Freaks:):):)

I had no clue what to expect apart from this book being classified as a Sci-Fi, so I was very pleased to discover a fun Universe of pelted races, humans and Space Elvs!!!! I know, how cool is that??? Well, we get to meet one of them, at least, when a Captain of the trader ship Earthrise, Reese is charged with finding and rescuing a mysterious Eldritch Hirianthial who has been captured by pirates and about to be given to slavers... Reese has
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
The cover! The cover! I adore this cover! So much awesomesauce with this cover! A heroine with dark skin and braids. How often does THAT happen in any genre? Julie Dillon is just so amazing when it comes to creating incredible fantasy art with PoC front and center.

Happy happy! Joy joy! Dancing around the room listening to the latest Blind Guardian. It's been ages since I've read such a kick-ass swashbuckling sci-fi adventure. The last one I'd read with a Black female lead was Ascension (which wa
Cathy
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Free ARC, provided by Netgalley, thank you!

Wasn't so sure at first, if I would like it, but about a quarter into the book I was in love with all of the main characters. I adore Hirianthial, his psychic landscape is fantastic. The Harat-Shar are great comic characters and the bird-like Bryer is fascinating. The Flitzbe is like a more advanced tribble.

Throw in a classic run-chase-and-hide scenario with an asteroid field, and your swashbuckling space adventure is off to an entertaining ride.

I reall
Maria Dimitrova
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I should learn to prioritize the books my dear wife recommends because this was great! It's been a while since I got so caught up in a series. I actually finished it in a week. Sure there were just three books but still. Especially since RL has been a bitch lately and my reading time is severely reduced.

Back to the book. Earthrise introduces the reader to a universe filled with genetically engineered species called the Pelted. At some point the Pelted left Earth and colonised their own planets.
 Simply Sam ツ
Alright, here it goes. A semi-crappy review bulked up with some pretty crappy pics but honestly, it's all I have the brain cells for anymore.

I purchased and listened to the audio for this one, and I'll be honest, I don't think he was a great choice for this book.

Big shocker there, right?

His voice was way too raspy, whispery, and gravelly for the role. He sounds like he should be voicing an old-time, down and out cowboy like this,

not a 30 year old woman like this,

I listened to bits in the car
Gergana
Ufffffff.... It's complicated.

On one hand, Earthrise is a book with an intriguing plot, well-rounded characters, creative world-building and, most importantly, a cover that borders to absolute divine perfection!

On the other hand.... it took me several months to finish it. Why? Let's just say that despite one of the most likable and unique casts that exists in fiction, despite the huge amount of creativity in terms of races, worlds, psychology and the complete unpredictability of the plot, there
Andrea Jackson
This came highly recommended by people I respect, but I guess it's just a matter of taste. The writing and editing were done well. I love the space camp-y feel. But I just disliked the heroine so much that it ruined the book for me. By the end, her TSTL actions because of her anger towards everyone close to her drove me crazy. She almost got them all killed, because she refused to listen to an ally who had proven himself. I HATE heroines like that. To me she acted like some middle-school brat.

ed
Athena
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
The main character ... oh man. I shucked three stars from this otherwise excellent sci-fi novel just because the MC (Reese) is so poorly written. I get that she's supposed to be an anti-hero, oh boy do I get that, but the construction of her personality just makes no sense, at all, in any genre. She's constantly combative and angry (that's her personality, period); she has the galaxy's worst decision-making skills and shows absolutely no command capability, let alone the ability to be in a room ...more
Hélène Louise
This book was absolutely perfect for me.
I don't know how to explain it, maybe by making a list: perfect characters, action but no non-stop-action, alternative humans and aliens, an every day live story, endearing characters, humour, a lot of good psychology, people who act like real people, a sentiment of reality in an alternative world and, at least but not last, a very easy and comfortable read.

Some people could say that the tonality is a little bit naive, but not me. On the contrary, I love t
Jasmine
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie
Oh, heh-heh, fluffy space opera. I love fluffy space opera! Dealing with pirates, everyone's broke, awkard situations— well that's some buried trauma we just dealt with. And that's some more trauma. OH WOW that's a lot of trauma. BLOOD. SO MUCH BLOOD AND TRAUMA. WHY IS EVERYTHING TERRIBLE. RUN. RUN. START THE SHIP WE NEED TO RUN. ...more
Megan
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Do you like found families? Do you like rag-tag crews having adventures in space? Do you like books that prioritise character over plot? Do you like romances that burn so slow you can barely see any progression at all? Do you like A Long Way to Small Angry Planet? Do you like things that make you your heart hurt a little but then fill it with joy?

Maybe give this book a try, is all I'm saying.
Rosalind M
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
3.75 stars. I found myself deeply annoyed by the main character's combative attitude and poor decision-making, but I kept reading to follow the other beings the storyline introduced. Here's hoping Reese is more tolerable in the next book in the series. ...more
Tiara
TL;DR Review:

3.5 stars. Where have you been all my life, book? Even with my few complaints, where have you been?

Longer Review:

Full Disclosure: A review copy of this book was provided to me by Studio MCAH via Netgalley. I would like to thank the author, the publisher, and Netgalley for providing me this opportunity. All opinions expressed from here forward are my own.

I almost put this book a little lower on my NetGalley pile because the NetGalley description had a side note that this was a space
Ron
Feb 04, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"But still... an Eldritch? Slavers? I'm just a trader, not a hero. I don't want anything to do with something this dangerous."

Excellent light science fiction with Eldritch. Elves in space? Why not, we’ve already got Amish vampires in space. And zombies. Not to mention aliens. Hogarth makes us want to believe.

"I wish I knew myself."

Hogarth builds a multi-species crew who often rub each other the wrong way. Introduction of a near-mythic character in the flesh knocks more than one of them into a
K Fray
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After having read and reviewed A Rosary of Stones and Thorns for Hogarth, I’d kicked her campaign for Earthrise – mainly because it was 1) a book 2) by an author I was familiar with 3) that was offering a signed copy of the book upon completion for an exceptionally reasonable amount of money.

Sold!

So when I finally got my copy of Earthrise after having copy-edited Mindtouch for her, I was ecstatic. Earthrise promised me more Eldritch and more Pelted people and more interesting times in the space
R.A. White
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
When I picked up this full length sci-fi novel for free on Amazon, I was hoping for something with a bit of a 'Firefly' feel, and it scratched my itch. It may not be quite as humorous as 'Firefly', but the relationships between captain and crew and the solid world building did it for me. Since I don't read a lot of sci-fi I had a little trouble at first with all the different aliens on the ship (and there aren't many, it's just me) and wasn't sure if I'd enjoy a book with only one human
Julie Davis
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun story for bedtime rereading.

=========

A fun Firefly-esque space opera featuring a feisty, resourceful captain and her rag-tag multi-species crew. Struggling for funds to keep them going, Reece takes on a few jobs she probably should investigated more before accepting the pay up front. The book begins with the crew heading into slaver territory to rescue one of the mysterious Eldritch race who live only in legend (and in Reece's guilty pleasure, her romance novels).

From there things go from
erforscherin
Earthrise is a pretty straightforward space adventure, something like a lighthearted Star Trek episode-of-the-week: a down-on-its-luck ship crew is given a secret mission from a mysterious benefactor, rescues and befriends an alien, tangles with interplanetary slavers, and eventually finds a clever way to bring them down with the help of some friends.

But the major props here go to the worldbuilding and character-building. If this is your first introduction to the Alliance, there’s a lot to disco
Cheesecake
I read this a couple years ago...
It is more sci fi adventure/intrigue with a dash of romance.
I enjoyed this for the most part. The author has a vivid imagination!
I was more intrigued by the H than the h. I got tired of her bulldogged stubbornness. She's pricklier than a porcupine. Sure her family sucks, but why is that always an excuse in books to be a jerk? I also got tired of her stomach ailments (which were pretty darn serious). They made me cringe (view spoiler)
Alice
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book one of a great series

With a crew of alien species, human Captain Reese is flying her battered merchant ship through space attempting to make a profit trading. Unexpectedly she is called to pay off a debt by picking up a Eldrich man being held prisoner for sale to slavers. This begins a series of adventures filled with danger, including those of emotional attachment.

The characters are all well developed with both lovable quirks and weaknesses, and you will soon be strongly invested in their
Kyoko M.
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars

I've been awful busy these days writing my own series, but I finally had the (LONG, ARDUOUS, 4-HOUR FLIGHT-INDUCED) free time to read a title about a black female protagonist in a sci-fi setting. Thankfully, I was recommended this book, and it's a delightful change of pace from things I've tried previously.

Don't let the 3 1/2 star rating fool you. I'm prepared to go into detail, and please don't think there is anything overtly WRONG with the book. I actually like it more than I've li
Tawallah
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Earthrise is smash-up of fantasy with magical creatures such as elves with animal/humanoid hybrids as aliens with space opera and romance elements. We follow a grumpy black female captain, Reese Eddings who owes a favour to a benefactor. She has to rescue a male Eldritch, an elf-like creature who has been caught by space slavers.

The premise of this book is quite original with the use of science fantasy to explore themes of family, slavery and discrimination based on ignorance of other cultures.
shroom-boi
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
So a human spaceship captain, two furries, a phoenix, a sphynx and an alien elf walk into a bar...
Hey, I really liked this one! It was less sci-fi than I'd maybe hoped for, but a lot more entertaining that I could've guessed. I absolutely loved the familial ease with which the Earthrise crew pokes at each other, and Hirianthial (yes, I had to look up how to spell his name) will fit in there so well. Though also Reese is going to need large amounts of "shut up and leave him be"...
Also listen, I'm
D.L. Morrese
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
A cranky female space freighter captain unintentionally gets involved with interplanetary drug dealers and slave traders. It's not an overly original story, but it's entertaining enough for a light read. It's mostly a space opera with a fair amount of chaste romance, some fantasy, and a bit too much introspective angst (for my taste). I found some of the prose...awkward at times. The protagonist is not entirely likeable or believable. She seems slow on the uptake, and her reactions often do not ...more
Monica **can't read fast enough**
Abandoned. (DNF'd)

I'm sorry to say that I just could not keep going with this audio book. The narration was just too off putting. The narrator's voice is extremely deep which under normal circumstances would be a plus for me, however in this case his voice was so raspy that it sounded to me like he was just recovering for a bad bought of laryngitis. There are odd sections of the audio that feel spliced together along with some kind of odd ambient noises in the background. I think that I like th
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
You really have to look a gift horse in the mouth. Reese Eddings took a loan that is now putting her ship the Earthrise, her crew and herself in danger.

I loved the characters in Earthrise. Reese Eddings is at the center the story. She has a lot of internal problems that play out throughout the story. Her mixed race crew is full of interesting people. I loved the pelted ones. They added a lot of humor.

In spite of the danger at the heart of the story this is a slow moving story. Hogarth takes the
Rain
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was SO good. The Eldritch remind me a lot of the Liadens by Lee and Miller - not in a "this was copied" way but just in a, "wow this is also a deftly written, very mannered, dangerous, complex society that has evolved layers of exquisite behavior and social customs to ensure their survival of each other."

I'm hooked.

Really love the many races of Pelted and just, Reese is a terribly compelling heroine, Hirianthial is also very compelling, the Harat-Shar twins... it's good. Really really goo
Farai Chikwanha
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Furry Writers' Guild: Her Instruments by MCA Hogarth (Spoiler Free!) 2 31 Feb 11, 2016 09:59PM

• Starshine: Aurora Rising Book One (Aurora Rhapsody, #1)
  • Shades of Treason (Anomaly #1)
  • Petty Treasons (Lays of the Hearth-Fire #0.5)
  • Loose Ends (California Corwin P.I. #1)
  • The Return of Fitzroy Angursell (The Red Company Reformed #1)
  • Eclipse the Moon (Starlight's Shadow, #2)
  • The 5th Gender (Tinkered Stars, #1)
  • Emerging Storm (The Forgotten Race #1)
  • The Hands of the Emperor (Lays of the Hearth-Fire, #1)
  • Rosebud
  • Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1)
  • Crudrat
  • History Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador #20)
  • Harbinger (Elfhome #5)
  • Quantum Tangle (Sethran Kada, #1)
  • Death Over the Garden Wall (The Case Files of Henri Davenforth #7)
  • Space Rogues (Space Rogues #1)
  • Fallen Star (Project Gauntlet, #1)
See top shelves…
Daughter of two Cuban political exiles, M.C.A. Hogarth was born a foreigner in the American melting pot and has had a fascination for the gaps in cultures and the bridges that span them ever since. She has been many things—-web database architect, product manager, technical writer and massage therapist—-but is currently a full-time parent, artist, writer and anthropologist to aliens, both human an ...more

Her Instruments (4 books)
  • Rose Point (Her Instruments, #2)
  • Laisrathera (Her Instruments, #3)
  • A Rose Point Holiday (Her Instruments, #4)

Articles featuring this book

“Sometimes the things you fantasize about aren't what you end up really wanting,” 6 likes
“The best things. Adventures. Destinations. Knowledge. Relationships. All of them start with uncomfortable moments. It's only when you're grappling with something new that you might uncover something wonderful... but unfortunately, that means grappling with something new.” 5 likes