Start by marking “The Power of Praying for Your Adult Children” as Want to Read:
The Power of Praying for Your Adult Children

The Power of Praying for Your Adult Children

Stormie Omartian's bestselling The Power of a Praying® series (more than 28 million copies sold) is rereleased with fresh new covers and new material to reach a still-growing market of readers eager to discover the power of prayer for their lives.

In this important follow-up to The Power of a Praying® Parent (2 million copies sold), Stormie addresses areas of concern you ma
Published February 1st 2014 by Harvest House Publishers (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Praying for Your Adult Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Praying for Your Adult Children

Start your review of The Power of Praying for Your Adult Children
Joan
This book starts out strong -- the introduction is very well done -- but finishes weakly. Reading the introduction (What Every Parent of an Adult Child Needs to Know) and the first 4-5 chapters would be sufficient. The remaining chapters tend to be repetitive in nature, and could be read 'as needed.'

The introduction has an excellent section on forgiveness. Throughout the book, O'Martin references scriptures that are relevant to her chosen topic; each chapter ends with scripture verses and a pray
Lorie
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is like all of her other books but with a different title and verses. She chose not to tell her stories/hardships about her kids which I felt like missed a lot of the connection with the reader. Not that I/the reader wants to hear all good/bad things they've done or going thru but I thought if she would share an incident then you could relate better. With that being said, I read this book slowly, read the word and prayed several days concerning my own children (I've got 5 kids). It did brin ...more
Vicki
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This book is one that should be in all Christian homes of parents with adult children especially. The author gives many good suggestions and helps people that don't know how to pray or what to pray for or think they have prayed and said it all. If you have children that are giving you grief (drug addicts, homeless, alcoholics, etc.), this author will give you many ideas how to pray for them.

If you are a parent of children any age, this book is a must!
Wesley
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
It is very difficult to review a book that tells you to pray, since we are all supposed to pray, right? As I went through the book in a group study I was bothered, and it took a while until I finally got it: I feel she presents prayer as a formula. If you pray this, you get this. If you don't pray, or pray the wrong way, bad things will happen, if you do pray, good things will happen. She gives some examples(very few personal) as proof. I have been a Christian for a long time, and have learned t ...more
Cindy Baker stevens
I highly recommend this powerful book as the Lord used it to change my life and take away the debilitating worry I experienced over my two adult sons. One night I was reading the Bible in bed and the worry started to creep in again as it seemed to do every night. I started to pray as the the Bible lay on my chest for God to give me something from His word that would help me. I picked it up and the first verse I saw was; Isaiah 54:13 "All your sons will be taught by the Lord and great will be you ...more
Brenda
May 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: challies-2020
I ended up skimming through the last few chapters. While there were some good suggestions for prayer, this book was very disappointing overall. The shaky theology struck me more fully this time (for example, what happened to Joseph wasn't God's will, suggesting prayer for "revelation," implying that God is required to honor certain prayer, etc.) The use of "he (she)" throughout the book was annoying as well as distracting. It may seem silly, but where she really lost me was when she was relating ...more
Barbara
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very valuable as a resource of wonderful ways to pray for your adult children and as an encouragement that those prayers are important and effective. It is divided into well-organized chapters that can be referred to again and again. This one will stay close within my reach
Sue-b-doo
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of adult children!
Resulted in starting a "moms of adult children" weekly prayer meeting...praying for a long list of our own children plus others in our congregation! So exciting to see how God works when we do battle together at the throne of God!
Pam
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
truth and more truth. full of scripture & well-organized practical advice. nothing new & not the best writing style, but important things to remember & use daily alll in one place. ...more
Charlotte
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this to all parents of adult children/or children about to become adults.
Neil R. Coulter
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm getting used to being the parent of an adult child, and I found Stormie Omartian's prayer book really helpful as a guide to some of the ups and downs that might happen along the way from this point on. As in her other books, Omartian is very encouraging and compassionate, which I appreciate. For a certain type of personality, her prayers are excellent guides for our own daily prayers (and I know that for other personalities, this kind of book probably wouldn't be as helpful, and that's fine) ...more
Cheryl Knapp
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect book when I moved 800 miles away from my adult sons in order to caregive for my mom who had Alzheimer's. I recognized that the one thing I could, and needed to, do was to pray for my sons. During my middle of the night hot flashes, I prayed for my sons and continue to do so.

The book is incredibly helpful with clear scriptural, faith lessons, as well as prayers I could say when my own prayers were weak.

I have recommended this book to many, and I will continue to read and reread this power
Holly Poe
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Words can't adequately describe how wonderful this book is. Stormie has put into words, paired with scripture, and her own life examples, every prayer I've needed to pray for my children. As I would pray the prayers aloud for my daughters, I would weep because I could feel the Holy Spirit moving. It's a must read for all parents of adult children, of any age. I wish I had a parent alive to pray these over me right now.
Hope
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Prayer is not telling God what to do. Prayer is partnering with God to see that His will is done. The confidence we have in approaching God is that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, then we know that we will have what we asked of Him." (1 John 5:14-15)

Omartian encouraged me to be faithful and specific in my prayers for my grown children. A very helpful book.
Stephanie
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I went in search of something to reassure and comfort me during a difficult time. After reading my Bible I came across this book and I was soothed by the practical advice and honest assessment of what it feels like to be the parent of an adult child. I appreciated being given very specific areas to pray on for my son and I was truly blessed by the spirit of the text. A comforting read for any parent who just wants and needs some direction when supporting adult children.
Lisa
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We as Mothers will always pray and love our children no matter what! because she love them more then anyone can really know. So I bought this book to help me always remember to pray for my adult children, so they can be blessed and walk in god's way. and know God. and I know that God hears our prayers! so I will never stop praying for my adult children!
Barbara
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't have children but I have used this book for people in my family who are very dear to me. I found the book was just what I needed to read at a certain time in my life and it proved to be very helpful.
Rose
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Bible study group read this book, awesome.
Donna
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Encouraging and great for reminding us, as parents, how we should be praying for our adult children.
1catholicsalmon
Truly inspirational, covering all the important aspects of adult life. An excellent structure to base prayer on.
Brenda Meyer
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A necessity for all parents

I wish I'd had this years ago!! It gives me words for my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for this blessing!
Carmen
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I keep this book close by and have really enjoyed the prayers in it.
Susan
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As parents, there's probably nothing that we pray more for than our kids. This is true before they're born, and when they're little, and when they're growing up. But what about once they become adults? My oldest daughter just turned 20, so, strange as it is to me, I'm now becoming the mom of adult kids. And in that capacity, I now know how true it is that we never want to stop praying for our "kids" -- even if they're no longer children.

Author Stormie Omartian has written several books about pra
linecaro
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a mother of a preteen and a Teen. I am happy because i think this book came on time to read. If its well to say, my kids are not adults, life hits us up with many different circumstances and this book, prepares me with the word of God on the thinks i should be praying for my kids since now.
As a single mother this book, allowed me to see my kids needs and wholes in their life since now, understanding i am not to fill all those wholes but trusting God almighty who is the one, who can fill wh
Chris Knopff
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
I do believe prayer is a powerful thing, but I also think things happen to people. Like sickness and death to children and young parents. I don’t think it is a lack of prayer that allows this to happen.
I also don’t feel we should force feed faith to anyone but try to be examples and pray for them.
I felt the author thinks all we should be doing is talking about God with our adult children. I feel we show them the way and pray for them to be receptive to the Spirit.
Cindymarrelli
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Very useful for parents that want to “help” their adult children. Stormie reminds us that God loves them even more than we do and that our most useful activity is praying for them. Several powerful guided prayers are included. The book solidly points us to God’s word as our anchor and the light for our path. Highly recommend.
Donna Guider
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first of Stormie's book that I completed. Primarily because it has so much material you want to camp out on for long periods of time. Exactly what is needed for me with my first Adult child. The author cover many areas of prayers I missed while praying.
Frances Daigle
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding!! The book came at just the right time. I've been using it as a devotional. I've ordered the prayer and study guide as well as a hard copy that I can mark up. Will be rereading as soon as they both arrive.
Susan
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would highly recommend this book. I have read it again and again and again, and use it in my daily prayers to pray for my sons, their wives and my grandchildren! Any prayer book by Stormie is excellent! That is her anoiting.
Cyndy
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This book is a great reminder of how to pray for our “adult” children. It addresses all aspects of life and provides specific prayers and scriptures for them. I am convinced that prayer is the most important gift we give our children, regardless of their age.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life
  • Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions
  • G.d.m.f.s.o.b.
  • Killer Nurse
  • Comfortable with Uncertainty: 108 Teachings on Cultivating Fearlessness and Compassion
  • Resistance (Nomad #3)
  • Holly, Ivy & Intrigue
  • Perfect Stranger
  • Tea with Emma (The Teacup Novellas, #1)
  • Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration
  • The Exile
  • Fighting Angel
  • At the Corner of Bitter & Sweet: Choosing Beauty in Life's Painful Places
  • The Five Love Languages of Teenagers
Stormie Omartian is an award-winning bestselling author and speaker who personally connects with readers and listeners by sharing her experiences and illustrating how God transforms lives when we learn to trust in Him.

The strength and transparency of Stormie’s message has driven her books to the top of the bestsellers list. More than 26 million copies have been sold worldwide of her "Power of Pray

News & Interviews

“And we need to pray for our adult children to have an understanding of—and a desire for—the presence of the Holy Spirit so they can find all the freedom and liberty, deliverance and restoration, transformation and wholeness God has for them.” 1 likes
“We all need to understand that we can’t “fix” or “change” our adult children. Only God can make changes that last in anyone. Our job is to release our adult children into God’s hands and then pray” 0 likes