Start by marking “The Amish Groom” as Want to Read:
The Amish Groom

The Amish Groom

(The Men of Lancaster County #1)

New from bestselling authors Mindy Starns Clark and Susan Meissner, The Amish Groom (Book 1 in The Men of Lancaster County series) explores the men of an Amish community in Lancaster County, how their Amish beliefs play out in their unique roles, and the women who change their lives.

Born to an ex-Amish mother and an Englisch father, 23-year-old Tyler Anderson was raised as
Published April 1st 2014 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Amish Groom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amish Groom

Start your review of The Amish Groom
Ashley Daviau
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
While it's not something I would normally pick up on my own, I did quite enjoy this book. There's something about the Amish religion that fascinates me and I always find it interesting to read about it. While I did enjoy this book, it didn't quite get 5 stars because I did find it a bit predictable. The story was well written and enjoyable.
Jerry
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can identify with Tyler's struggles because, like him, I was born into a unique situation. Gaining a brother-in-law at the age of eight, and having a sister who was technically fifteen years my senior but had to be taken care of like a baby due to a severe disability, were things many of my friends and peers had trouble understanding. So, Tyler's triumphs over his rare circumstances made this book very inspirational. I hope the later books in this series follow the same trend.
Wendy Hines
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After just finishing the Women of Lancaster County, I was excited to delve into the Men of Lancaster County. I was caught off-guard right away because the book is told from the man's viewpoint. Uncommon, but not unheard of and frankly a nice change of pace.

Tyler was born to an Amish mother and a military father. When his mother dies when he is young, he is taken in by his Amish grandparents while his dad finished his tours in the military. After time passes, his dad has remarried and had another
Marilyn
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, amish-fiction

The Amish Groom was on our high demand shelf at the library, thus I had to check it out. I’m so glad I did. This is a sensational book to start The Men of Lancaster County series by Mindy Starns Clark and Susan Meissner.

Tyler Anderson had a longing there was something else outside of his Amish family and community, where he had lived since he was six years old. He didn’t recall a lot of his early life, but had visits or visited his dad, step-mother and half-brother sporadically. He loved his lif
Janice Coy
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book because I'm a fan of Susan Meissner. I'm not sure how much of her input was in this book because the writing seemed a lot simpler than her usual style. Still, this was a fun, easy read. Tyler is raised by his Amish grandparents. Not sure he wants to commit to the Amish life, (his dead mother was Amish, his father is not) he agrees to supervise his half-brother in Newport Beach, California. I learned some things about the Amish way of life which was interesting. If you're lo ...more
Kav
Oct 08, 2016 added it
What an absorbing story! And, honestly, I'm gobsmacked over how quickly I got lost in it because it is told entirely from Tyler's perspective, In first person point of view no less. And you know what? That wouldn't be my first pick for any kind of novel but it totally worked for this one. I was on tenterhooks the whole read, feeling the pressure right along with Tyler as he struggled for answers.

This story explores the perils and rewards of being in relationship.Tyler impressed me from the very
CarolynB
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I really loved this book. I was very much "into" Tyler and all that had happened in his life to bring him to the decision he was facing--was he Amish, or English? All of the people in this book were so believable! I agonized with each of them as Tyler agonized with his decision. Though I thought at the beginning that Tyler would make the decision he made, it was a very intense journey with him as he prayed through. I loved the resolution, not just for the future, but with the past as well. Now I ...more
Greg
Oct 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I got paid. I have to keep that thought or I shall go mad.
Virginia
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Two of my favorite authors worked together to come up with an enjoyable book. If you enjoy Amish fiction, this is a must read.
Cathy Daniel
Apr 02, 2014 marked it as to-read
Two of my favorite authors together?! I can't wait!
A.G.
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Tyler Anderson has lived with his mother’s Amish family for seventeen years after his mother died when he was six. He is seemingly content with the Amish life, but in truth he struggles with knowing where he truly belongs. Should he join the church and marry his longtime-girlfriend, Rachel Hoeck? Or is he better suited for the outside world, joining his father, stepmother, and half-brother in California? When an unexpected circumstance lands Tyler in California for a month, he realizes that this ...more
Cherese Akhavein
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the Men of Lancaster County Series. "The Amish Groom" by Mindy Starne Clark and Susan Meissner.
Where do I start? Like other Christian Amish books that you are familiar with you will find love, joy, the pure simple pleasure of the uncomplicated life , and of course Gods scripture. However, you will also find in this book a deep story within a story of a struggle with a young man ( Tyler Andnerson) and his search for not only who he is, but where he belongs. Tyler knows h
Rachel Brand
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, amish, christian, 2014
Tyler Anderson found himself thrust upon his Amish grandparents when his ex-Amish mother suddenly died when he was six years old. His grandparents were more than happy to take him in, understanding that Tyler’s father’s work in the military meant that he could not provide a stable home for Tyler right then. It was always assumed that his father would return for him once his tour of duty was complete, but Tyler’s stay in Lancaster County stretched on, beyond what any of them expected. By the time ...more
Tracy Smith
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amish fiction is one of my very favorite genres of books to read and this one did not disappoint me, though it was totally different from all the others that I have enjoyed. This one is totally coming from a male perspective and that is a first for me. Born to an ex-Amish mother and an English father, but raised by his Amish grandparents, Tyler Anderson searches for where he belongs. Follow his journey as his faith shows him where his home and heart lies. I would recommend this book to anyone wh ...more
Sandi
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because Susan Meissner was the co-author and I like her books. It popped up when I was searching for her books on Libby.

While it started off a bit slow, I quickly became engaged with Tyler’s predicament and wanted to see how it would resolve. As I hoped, the writing was more meaty than the typical Christian novels I’ve read in the past. This wasn’t preachy and Tyler came across as genuine.
Ellen White
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tyler knew the English world, and being oversea. His mother dies, and he is sent to grandparents to live. A young boy of six, now at twenty three. The uncertainties of everything, and making decisions was impossible. His love for Rachel he did not question, a commitment he did. Her saying it was because his father gave him away, he felt unwanted. Time again with his father will he get the answers he needs to move forward. A well written story, that Amish or English a young boy would question.
Nicole
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tyler and Rachel

I loved this story of Tyler and Rachel. After his mother died, Tyler is sent to live with his Amish grandparents. Wondering why his father deserted him he conforms to the Amish life but still not feeling like he can totally commit. Lovely story of Tyler trying to listen to what God wants for his life. What life should be live Amish or English.
Mrs. Doglvrs
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish, 2018
I've wanted to read this for a long time and it did not disappoint. Great story of faith with plenty of Amishy angst and a peaceful outcome. I enjoy reading Amish stories when my own life is scrambled.
Judy Ruud
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amish Love

I have to read an Amish story frequently. This was really good. It was about a man, who didn’t know who he was. I enjoyed going through the process he had to go through to find himself. It was a great Christian love story.
Rachel
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
It took me a little bit to get into this story, but that might have been because it's so much slower-paced than the book I'd finished reading right before starting this one, since after I got into it, I enjoyed it a great deal. In any case, this was a well-written and entertaining Amish novel with interesting characters, most of which were well drawn. I found the plot to be reasonably unique for its genre, and it made for a sweet story. I will likely read more of the series at some point.
Heather
Predictable story

I didn’t like the ending even though it was predictable throughout. I was just hoping for a twist I didn’t see coming.
Marcia
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was predictable, but I still loved it! I liked the characters, their internal conflicts and how they deal with them.
Kathywalter
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great comparison of two vastly different cultures. I loved his list!
Kirsten
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Gayle
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Kinda boring.
Carlene
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A good book about families, and how parents can sway the way their children can be hurt by the adults decisions they make for them. And the love of Love God can work wonders in their lives.
Jackie
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best Amish story I've read yet. Can't wait until I read the next series, "The Amish Blacksmith "
Lisa
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining but a little too simple, both in language and plot, for my taste.
Dôris Spaulding
Very good read

A compelling story of a young man torn between two upbringing . How through pray an God's quite voice he discovers where he belongs.
Melissa James
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an easy read. The main character goes through a lot of soul searching and turning to God in his efforts to find answers. I found the story to be inspirational.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Amish Widower
  • The First Love
  • The Farmer's Bride (Amish Brides of Birch Creek #2)
  • The Bake Shop (Amish Marketplace #1)
  • Christmas at Rose Hill Farm: An Amish Love Story (Stoney Ridge Seasons, #4)
  • Room on the Porch Swing (Amish Homestead #2)
  • Amish Promises (Neighbors of Lancaster County, #1)
  • Abraham (The Petersheim Brothers #2)
  • Their Amish Stepfather (The Amish Bonnet Sisters #8)
  • The Tinderbox
  • The Timepiece
  • Amish Honor (The Amish Bonnet Sisters #2)
  • A Baby For Florence (The Amish Bonnet Sisters #9)
  • On His Bended Knee (The Brides of Purple Heart Ranch #1)
  • A Simple Kiss (The Amish Bonnet Sisters #3)
  • Rachel's Secret (The Riverhaven Years, #1)
  • The Fiddler (Home to Hickory Hollow, #1)
  • A Welcome at Our Door (Amish Homestead #4)
Mindy Starns Clark is the bestselling author of more than 30 books, both fiction and nonfiction, and has received numerous literary honors, including two Christy Awards and RT Book Review Magazine’s 2012 Career Achievement Award. Mindy and her husband, John, have two adult children and live near Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.

The Men of Lancaster County (3 books)
  • The Amish Blacksmith