Start by marking “A Woman of Angkor” as Want to Read:
A Woman of Angkor

A Woman of Angkor

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"Pure and beautiful, she glows like the moon behind clouds." The time is the 12th Century, the place Cambodia, birthplace of the lost Angkor civilisation. In a village behind a towering stone temple lives a young woman named Sray, whom neighbors liken to the heroine of a Hindu epic. Hiding a dangerous secret, she is content with quiet obscurity, but one rainy season aftern ...more
Published 2013 by River Books (first published November 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Woman of Angkor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman of Angkor

Carrie
Depending on what you are looking for in a book, this could be a really good book or a really disappointing book. I bought it based on the reviews on the back since I purchased it in singapore and the stores here have a nasty habit of wrapping all books in plastic so I could not read a synopsis of it or flip through it. The jacket perhaps through my own fault led me to think that this would be a story of the building of the temple and the workings of the lives of the every day workers. Although ...more
Huijia Li
Read this as I was visiting Cambodia and wanted to steep myself in some of the history and folklore of the Khmer Golden Age. Enjoyed how the details of everyday life in an ancient empire was re-imagined, and liked the theories posited about the building of Angkor Wat. Did not care very much about the characters however.
Maggie
Lupeng Jin
This book entirely drags my interests to this not-remote-but-strange-to-me country, Cambodia, about which I had no tiny little knowledge before. Angkor Wat, to some extent, is merely a abandoned temple to me. The fictional stories in this book not only describes its grandeur but some sort of nerve-cracking romance as well. Between the lines, I am fully aware that the delicacy of female minds in terms of life, love and lust comparing with masculine ambitions and weaknesses. I recommend this book ...more
Randy

This first novel by former Washington Post journalist John Burgess is historically accurate and a very imaginative telling of the history of World Heritage Site Angkor.

'Pure and beautiful, she glows like the moon behind clouds.'

Kaybee
I think Burgess is a good, not great, fiction writer with what seem like plausible and interesting story lines that tell you a lot about ancient Cambodia and Khmer culture, including the building of the great temple of Angkor Wat. The book is told in the first person by a woman who rises from poverty to being a talented and rich businesswoman, religious benefactor, and a spiritual woman.

Her husband is parasol maker to the king. Court politics play a large part in the story. Her son becomes the
Cindy Deyo
This was a fascinating, uniquely written and thoroughly enjoyable book. Hated for it to end. Loved the characters, saw the country and village life through the author's eyes, and especially loved the holy elephant.
Mary Alice
Great, unique historical novel. I never thought I would have been interested in a novel of ancient Cambodia and the building of the Temple Angkor Wat. But I couldn't put this book down.

The historical minutia was good and made the story authentic. Who knew that the ancients in southeast Asia took so many baths? And who would have imagined that the making of parasols was an important craft, and that the King's parasol master was an influential politician?

The tale is told by Sray, the "woman of An
Lisa
Read this while in Cambodia. For the story of a woman during the 12th century, it was really interesting.
Joyce Kirk
I read this book after a couple of days at Angkor Wat and Tonle Sap and bought it in the bookstore at Siem Reap airport. It provides interesting (fictional) insights into Khmer courtly life, the expansion of the Khmer Empire and the building of the largest religious monument on earth. The book satisfied some of my curiosity about a vanished civilisation but I doubt that I would recommend it to people who don't share this curiosity.
Azilsah
Bought this while in Cambodia and reading after visiting Angkor Wat and other temples that this book is set including Pre Tup and Trinity temple (Phnom Krom) as well as Tonle Sap..

This book adds up your historical info as it explicitly includes all details during the reign of 18th King as many other historical fiction book does.

I trully enjoyed the book being the fan of Angkor itself but somehow I feel there is no strong connection in the character interpretation.
Chris Wharton
A well-focused historical novel about a family in the royal Khmer court during the 12th-century construction of Angkor Wat. Very comprehending of the Khmer Hindi culture, religion, and governance of the time, as well as larger society beyond the court and regional history and conflicts. Very well imagined and easy reading. A bonus for me, it vividly brought things back from my Peace Corps time in a once Khmer part of Thailand.
Allen Wolf
Great historical fiction. I've been to Angkor Wat where this story unfolds. The author provides a plausible explanation for some of the mysteries of this historic site in an exciting tale. The style is reminiscent of Dan Brown's treatment of Rome and the Vatican. I couldn't put it down.
Iain Hudson
I was fortunate enough to visit Angkor some years back and I enjoy reading stories set in historical places. Looking forward to seeing how this develops...

A well-written story which takes one back to the time of Jayavarman and gives one a good feel for what life may have been like at the time...
Ming
A thoroughly intriguing story... I was relieved that the setting and people weren't exoticized. The twists and turns were clever and the author presented a credible interpretation of how Angkor Wat was built.
Madeline Dahlman
Seriously, unless you're a Cambodia nut, don't bother...way too tedious to read as a pleasure reader..they could have cut 200 pages and given themselves a much broader audience...longest weeks of my life
Peter Eisner
The saga of a Khmer family and the building of Angkor Wat a millennium ago. It is vividly told in the voice of Sray, the mother, wife and eventually patroness of the kingdom. Beautifully done.
Shweta
Its going to be more than 3 months and several books after, but I still cannot and don't think will be ever able to get over that journey of a book. Its absolutely mesmerising!
Sue
Absolute tour-de-force. Incredible details and beautiful writing bring this ancient culture to life. If you have any interest in Cambodia, or ancient Asia at all, read this.
Eleon397
A terrific tale that explains how life might have been lived in Angkor at the height of the empire. I can't wait to see the temple for myself.
Ramesh
Ramesh marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Laura Lundin
Laura Lundin marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Sophie Zapoli
Sophie Zapoli marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Susan
Susan is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2015
Ing Ing
Ing Ing is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2015
Jos Deroo
Jos Deroo marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Pu Jeera
Pu Jeera marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
John Burgess is the author of the historical novel 'A Woman of Angkor,' set in the 12th Century golden age of Cambodia’s lost Angkor civilization. The short description: She’s beautiful, she’s spiritual, she’s got a secret. The book recreates daily life in one of the world’s greatest yet least-known ancient cultures. John has written two other books as well: 'Temple in the Clouds,' a history of Pr ...more
More about John Burgess...
Stories in Stone: The Sdok Kok Thom Inscription & the Enigma of Khmer History Temple in the Clouds: Faith and Conflict at Preah Vihear