Start by marking “Sugar Coated (The Sugar Coated Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sugar Coated (The Sugar Coated Trilogy, #1)

Sugar Coated

(The Sugar Coated Trilogy #1)

An unhealthy addiction to sugar cubes, a deep-seated fear of water, and universal luxury—these are the simple things that make up 18-year-old Brynn's Utopian existence. Why, then, is her perfect life also plagued with unanswered questions?

Like every other resident of the planet Halcyon, Brynn's home provides everything she needs, money is unheard of, and life i
Published September 6th 2013 by Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Press

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsAnimal Farm by George OrwellGone by Michael  GrantThe Giver by Lois LowryThe Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin
Utopic
34 books — 41 voters
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
512 books — 2,460 voters

More lists with this book...

annika
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially teens who like YA or dystopian/sci fi
Recommended to annika by: Found it on a book blog!
I was in love with Sugar Coated from the first page. The writing style was exactly the type of book I like reading. Drama, Sci-fi, Romance, Action, everything I love. The story was fresh, at first I found myself thinking it was similar to Uglies by Scott Westerfield, but it truly is original. The book was a perfect length, and I felt intrigued to never put it down. Some books you have to force yourself to finish, but this was not one of them. I wanted to read it, and I couldn't stop. The characters are likeable, ...more
Amber
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brynn lives in a world of instant gratification. All you have to do is ask for anything you could possibly need or want, and it's yours. Everyone around Brynn lives a care free life full of designing new outfits, making movies, and taking trips anytime they want. So why does Brynn have so many questions, that no one else seems to care about? Even her closest friend Ty doesn't understand why she is curious about things that don't matter, things that she should just accept like everyone else.
Why
Kathryn Cooper
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on Clean Teen Fiction

Every time I read one of Shannen's books I get swept away with the characters. I love her characters! This book had the added treat to see a new world built. Her other books are contemporary, but this "Utopian" society was so different and interesting.

Along with being given anything they want the people of this society are taught to be afraid of water! It was such an intriguing and different idea. Even though I love water, I was terrified for them. I r
Jared Crane
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get to read Sugar Coated pre-release, and when it comes to dystopian fiction, Sugar coated has everything a fan could ever want. I have an addiction to dystopian series's and in my opinion this book is hands down the best in its genre.

The author does a fantastic job at grabbing the readers attention right from the start, and when it grabs, it doesn't let go. In fact it does the exact opposite. It grabs your attention, sticks it in a little box, shakes it all around, then..
H.L.
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is absolutely not what I was expecting! - An ambiguous statement but a true one nonetheless.
Let me explain... I pictured elements from every other Utopian/dystopian novel I have ever read. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this was nothing like those. The author actually gives you a Utopian society, one where the inhabitants don't have to lift a finger because everything is done for them. No-one works. No one bothers to have children - why should they when they can adopt? No-one
Jolene Perry
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Interesting world. Very different. Supah fun read ;-)
Emilia Grant
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Rating: 3 1/2

This review can also be found on Bookshelf Reflections

I picked up this book because I loved Ms. Camp’s other book Under Zenith and wanted to read more of her writing before the sequel to Under Zenith finally came out, and because Sugar Coated’s synopsis was quite intriguing.

When I set out to read this book I imagined it would be about a girl who grew up in all the riches her world had to offer and started questioning her fortune. I expected a spoiled brat who n
Tricia Drammeh
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Note: I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

My Review: Brynn lives in a utopian society where life is a party. Everything is available at the touch of a button and Brynn has never worked a day in her life. In fact, she doesn't know anyone who works. So what's wrong with that? What sort of person would question a life where things are too easy? Brynn questions everything. With her new friend, Jonah, Brynn sets off to find the mysterious city of Aowyn. Who ar
Kathy
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have been getting into a lot of dystopian novels ever since I read The Hunger Games. All of the dystopian novels I've read so far tend to have some sense of rebellion fairly early on, as the world hasn't quite reached that perfect Utopia, even with everything society has set in place. That is until I read Sugar Coated.

"Sugar Coated" is definitely a great way to describe Brynn's world at the beginning. Everything is right at everyone's finger tips by simply requesting things from a computer. N
Samantha
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I've read a lot of dystopian fiction and was honestly expecting more of the same. I was pleasantly surprised. This book was fresh and a completely different take on the genre. Brynn is the kind of character where I wanted to yell at her once or twice for being too reckless, but also wanted her to keep investigating things because I wanted answers, too. Though, I'll admit that, unlike Brynn, I may have been one of those people perfectly content living in a society that ...more
Sandra
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Book! Can't wait for #2 and #3 in the Trilogy!!
Loo
Mar 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy straight up YA romance, perhaps you will like this book. Do not expect action or intrigue.

Little happened. There were striking moments, but the language was too absorbed in the main characters looks for anything to strike deeply. The love triangle takes up the majority of the book. The premise was typical dystopia with little to distinguish itself. There were a few promising threads, but they were never fulfilled.
Zoe
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of the Sugar Coated trilogy, and it is a fantastic read! It was addictive, secretive, and fits perfectly with the Young adult genre!

Follow Brynn, an eighteen year old girl plagued by nightmares, one haunting memory and a lot of questions. Walk with her as she joins her friends, questions feelings for Ty, her long time friend, and struggles to find answers with Jonah, a library dwelling young man.

The book flows so well, and I sure am glad I bought it
Veray
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is so nerve wracking and sometimes I am sitting on the edge of my seat trying to figure out what is exactly going on. The dreams were creepy and sometimes her friends were annoying because they just wouldn't believe her.The beginning did drag on a little, but then things got exciting when Jonah came a long. I wonder who she will end up choosing between the boys. I haven't been able to choose which one I like best either. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next book.
Veray
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mikki Helmer
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely fell in love the world and characters of Sugar Coated. I related to the main character Brinn, and I'm torn between Ty and Jonah! I'm equally creeped out by this Utopian society and enthralled by it. Also I think I'm going to leery of sugar for the next few weeks. Great book, and when does the next in the series come out? I can't wait to find out what happens next.
Tobyleaf
Oct 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed it mostly because I wanted to know what happened - the frustrating thing is that it's part of trilogy and the other parts aren't out yet, which is something I hate that is so common with young adult dystopia. It seems to pretty much follow the standard formula of these novels, which is predictable but enjoyable. I enjoyed the world it was set in very much.
Natalie
Sugar Coated was a very enjoyable read for me until the blasted love triangle blossomed; I just can't stomach them anymore. Clean read with no foul language, crudeness or inappropriate intimacy. I would highly recommend Sugar Coated to those readers who like YA dystopian and don't mind love triangles or trilogies. For me, I need to learn to stay away from them even though they look so good. :)
Jules
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and can't wait for #2! I was a fun world to get lost in. Shannen lived here in my town for while and she is as sweet as she is smart. Her other series "June" is completely lovable too! Definitely check it out.
Karlene Browning
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun read! The plot was solid, the dialog was great. I loved the characters—I think that’s one of the strong points of this story. I didn’t completely figure it out ahead of time—and I love that.

Read my full review at http://bit.ly/WdVIYK.
Shannon
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!!!! I don't typically like this genre. But I couldn't put book down once I started. Super cute characters. Brynn, Jonah and Ty! I also love the house "Charlie"!
Taffy
Alora
May 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• Out of Tune
  • The Trouble With Toads (The Secret Stepsister Society, #1)
  • Relax, I'm a Ninja (Relax, I'm a Ninja, #1)
  • The Princess and the Wolf
  • The Forgotten (The Lux Guardians, #1)
  • The Book
  • The Immortal Throne (Into the Dark, #3)
  • Circumference of Darkness
  • Waterproof (The Water Crisis Chronicles)
  • Pop Apocalypse: A Possible Satire
  • Thank You For Your Cooperation (Bunker #1)
  • Dark Memories
  • Fractured Earth (The Actuator, #1)
  • The Sky Conducting
  • Smoldering Embers (Grace Series #1)
  • A Hero's Throne (Ancient Earth Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Omen (The Deja Vu Chronicles #1)
  • PHP for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guide)
Shannen Crane Camp was born and raised in Southern California, where she developed a love of reading, writing, and anything having to do with film. After high school, she moved to Utah to attend Brigham Young University, where she received a degree in Media Arts and found herself a husband in fellow California native Josh Camp. The two now live in Utah with their miniature schnauzer Hemingway. Sha ...more

The Sugar Coated Trilogy (3 books)
  • Rose Tinted (The Sugar Coated Trilogy, #2)
  • Silver Lined (The Sugar Coated Trilogy, #3)