Start by marking “Into the Bright Unknown (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Into the Bright Unknown (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #3)

Into the Bright Unknown

(The Gold Seer Trilogy #3)

The stunning conclusion to Rae Carson’s New York Times–bestselling Gold Seer trilogy

Leah Westfall’s journey has been one of ever-present peril, hidden magic, harsh realities, loss, life, determination, and love. She has searched for a place to belong and a place to call home, and people who can accept a girl with magical powers that prove to be both blessing and curse.

Rae
Published October 10th 2017 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Into the Bright Unknown, please sign up.
Steven I understand how you feel. Although, it does fit the pattern of the other titles; you may already know this, but each book's title is a lyric from a C…moreI understand how you feel. Although, it does fit the pattern of the other titles; you may already know this, but each book's title is a lyric from a Christian hymn. "Walk on Earth a Stranger" is from a version of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" by Robert Robinson. "Like a River Glorious" is from the hymn of the same name by Frances Ridley Havergal. "Into the Bright Unknown" is from "O Sleepless Nights, O Cheerless Days" by Helen Smith Arnold.(less)

Start your review of Into the Bright Unknown (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #3)
Trina (Between Chapters)
2.5 stars. I found this pretty meh, though not necessarily bad. I was just bored, which is pretty much the opposite of what a heist story should ever make you feel. Yes, it's a Wild West heist story, but I found some parts predictable, and I wasn't wowed by the reveal of how they pulled it off. The group of characters was nice to spend more time with though!

Audiobook - The narration was good and is probably half the reason I got through this once I realized I was bored.
Suzanne
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FANFREAKINGTASTIC! Clapping Smiley

I have loved this series way more than I thought I would. I am kind of glad I waited for the final book to come out so I could read all three this past week. I loved the plot, characters, and well, everything about this series! This trilogy has been a great reading experience!
Erin
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
If Ocean's Eleven took place in the Old West and had parts for actual fully formed woman it would be this book.

I'm not usually into Westerns. I don't watch movies or tv shows that take place in The Western Frontier. Its not my thing, but I discovered The Gold Seer trilogy by accident and I've found the entire series to be fun and unique. I couldn't have asked for a more suitable ending to this series. The writing was stellar and the plot was complex. So complex that at times I lost the thread of
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
I adore this series as a whole and this was a great ending I think, fitting to the rest of the story.
Full review and rating to come.
Rebecca (whenallotherlightsgoout)
I loved the first books in this series but I think it should have been a doulogy. I actually thought the second book wrapped up very well, though after reading this I realize there were a handful of loose ends still (Becky's house, Hampton's wife, Free Jim, Lee's real parentage - not that it mattered).

Uncle Hiram was a compelling antagonist, but James Henry Hardwick just isn't.

*minor spoilers ahead*

I thought Mrs. Joiner discussed in the last book how she could not claim her house without her h
Kristy K
I found the beginning slow and was concerned I wouldn't like this last book in the trilogy, but thankfully it picks up a little after half-way and goes back to the action and adventure I remember and enjoyed so much from the first book. A satisfying, albeit overly perfect, conclusion.
Justine
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
A great conclusion to a really terrific series. This final book had a bit less eminent danger than the previous two, and entailed more of a complicated advance plan than Leah and her companions have previously had in order to deal with their problems. The outcome therefore had a more permanent feel to it, giving a true sense of real peace and safety for the community of Glory, California in the future.

This is a series I enjoyed from start to finish. Maybe I like western historical fiction more t
Into the Bright Unknown is the third and final installment in Rae Carson's young-adult historical fiction trilogy titled The Gold Seer. Set in the gold rush era, Ms. Carson puts her spin on history by adding a bit of magical realism which added some interest. Topics related to gender, race/slavery, the treatment of Native Americans, and corruption are brilliantly showcased in my opinion and added a depth that many YA authors could learn from. Overall, my investment in this trilogy as a whole ebb ...more
Kate
Mar 28, 2016 marked it as to-read
Oh my. You know you love an author when you mark a third book in the series to be published in a year as to-read even before reading #2.
nick
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical

This was a lovely end to the series. It's not as exciting as the previous books, actually it's a little mellow, but it works for a finale. And as always I adored the cast here.

RTC
Hollis
"I don't see many prospectors of the female persuasion. It's too hard a life for the weaker sex."
"I'll hear no more from you about the weaker sex until you've birthed three babes."

The final book in Carson's The Gold Seer Trilogy might not have been my favourite of the three but it still gave me almost everything I had hoped for after starting this series. We get more of Lee being a little hotheaded but learning to temper herself and rely on Jefferson as opposed to going off half-cocked. We have
B.A. Wilson
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, paranormal, western
This was disappointing and unnecessary. The plot was thin. The storyline was boring. It’s also a bit preachy, which I wasn’t in the mood for. I don't mind when books have lessons or make a good point, but I hate that feeling like it is forced upon me...like the author is hitting me over the head with it. When that happens, it disrupts the story more than it helps or makes a point.

I gave this 3 stars, because I still love the characters and setting (and typically love everything Rae Carson). In
JoAnna
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well what can I say.... It took over a month to finish this.... It was predictable and a tad stale compared to the first two books.... BUT!!! I ended up enjoying it:) I hope there isn't a fourth book. Lets just stop at three please:)
Robin (Bridge Four)
This book definitely had a different feel from the first two in the series. Into the Bright Unknown is more like a heist and revenge plot of sorts instead of the hard drudgery of getting across the United States and then trying to set up your claim.

Lee and a few others are off to San Francisco to get Becky’s house and belongings. Once they get there nothing but trouble happens to the crew. It just so happens that the man who funded Lee’s Uncle’s mine is in San Francisco too and he seems to have
Jessica
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 2018
A Lovely ending for a cast of wonderful characters.
Kayla
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay so my enjoyment of this installment was slightly less than the other books, I can't pinpoint what was exactly wrong with it but I do know that the romance was just not good.
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
I finished this book in October 2017. It’s October 2020 and I’m just now sure enough of my thoughts to write a small review.

I was very disappointed in this installment.

It didn’t add anything of value to the series. The first two books had so much substance and depth, it could’ve ended strongly at a duology. The plot here felt unnecessary and forced, as if it were written purely for the sake of publishing a third book (the main arc of the story was resolved completely in the second novel, so ever
Emma
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous end to this gold rush story! This has a very colourful cast of prospectors, who have set out to make a life for themselves. With Hiram out of the way, Leah and the others now find themselves in San Francisco and up against Harwood, the power and finance behind Hiram’s scheme. How can they get the better of the man who rules the city? This is a powerful heist style adventure, where the sights, sounds, smells, lifestyle of San Francisco painted brightly by Rae Carson. I am a fan of hist ...more
Tara
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was one of my most highly anticipated reads of 2017, and now that I've finished it I just feel.. Meh.

And I'm so disappointed! The first two books were so strong, and I was so excited to finally wrap up this story! Usually the sequel is the weakest link in a trilogy, but in this case it was definitely the third one..

Now, don't get me wrong; I did enjoy this story. 'What?' I hear you ask. 'Your first half of this review doesn't give that impression at all.'

That's fair. BUT.

The majority o
Natalie
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This cover is even better than the last one.

Look at it.

Behold its glory.

And the title!!!

When I first saw this I was literally going to cry

Olivia
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
We made it through all three books without a single sex scene! 🙌🏻😂

I loved this trilogy and thoroughly recommend it. ✨
Aditi
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
(btw this is for a collab with the amazinh El so I didn't read the first two books)
I didn't even read the first two books. But I'll get to that later.

So Into The Bright Unknown was actually a much better read than I expected! I connected with Leah, the main character (if you've read some of my other reviews you would know that that's a main criticism for books I don't like), and several of the side characters were also great- in particular Mary, Jim, and Henry. Ooh and Major and Melanchthon and
TJ
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5.0
Absolutely ADORED this trilogy!! I SO wish Ms. Carson would continue it. There are still a thousand different areas to be explored with Lee, Jefferson and their merry band of friends. It seems way too soon to leave them when they are just getting started!

In this finale of the Gold Seer trilogy, Lee and friends travel to San Francisco only to find themselves caught up in all the deceitful manipulations of those determined to rise on the wave of the God of Gold and imminent statehood for C
Travis
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
So this was a fitting conclusion to the Gold Seer trilogy and I really liked how it all wrapped up however the series as a whole was a bumpy ride. This specific book took on a heist type story line and I wasn't impressed or excited with it at all. Another thing this book suffered from was the magic system. Truly from my perspective, this book would have been just as good without the magic system. It was that blase. The author also tried to incorporate more to the magic system and for me it was t ...more
Karen’s Library
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Into the Bright Unknown was a very satisfying ending to The Gold Seer Trilogy. It takes place almost wholly in San Francisco during the California gold rush days in the 1800's. The historical aspects are based on real events that actually took place back then.

In this 3rd book, Lee and her new family go to San Francisco to get Becky's belongings, which had traveled by ship to California, and bring them back to Glory. They encounter evil Hardwick who thwarts them every which way.

In the meantime, L
Vanessa
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great conclusion to a great series!
Dragana
Into the Bright Unknown was for me a weakest part of the series and a lukewarm ending to it. While everything is resolved I wish it ended with bigger impact.
Runell
Actual Rating: 3.5

Not exactly what I was expecting, but I still enjoyed it nevertheless.
Stephanie
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mrs. Joiner, you’re my forever-girl!
Tricia Levenseller
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic conclusion to a trilogy by Rae Carson. She’s one of my favorite authors and an auto-buy for me. Love how clever this series is!

• Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin, #3)
  • The Crown's Fate (The Crown's Game, #2)
  • We Are Shining
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Avenged (Ruined, #2)
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • The Triumphant (The Valiant, #3)
  • A Choice of Anglo-Saxon Verse
  • Long Hot Summoning (Keeper Chronicles #3)
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga, #2)
  • Frost Like Night (Snow Like Ashes, #3)
  • A Dance with Fate (Warrior Bards, #2)
  • The Wish Granter (Ravenspire, #2)
  • The Crown's Game (The Crown's Game, #1)
  • Endless Water, Starless Sky (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #2)
Rae Carson was born in 1973 in California and now lives in Arizona. She developed an enthusiasm for storytelling in her earliest childhood. She studied social sciences and worked in various industries after graduating from university before she realized her dream and became a writer. The Girl of Fire and Thorns is her debut novel.

In her own words, she "write[s] books about teens who must do brave

The Gold Seer Trilogy (3 books)
  • Walk on Earth a Stranger  (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #1)
  • Like a River Glorious (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #2)