Start by marking “Teen Spirit” as Want to Read:
Teen Spirit

Teen Spirit

Francesca Lia Block, critically acclaimed author of Weetzie Bat, brings this eerie and redemptive ghost story to life with her signature, poetic prose. It's perfect for fans of supernatural stories with a touch of romance like the Beautiful Creatures series by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.

After Julie's grandmother passes away, she is forced to move across town to the
Published February 4th 2014 by HarperTeen

Start your review of Teen Spirit
Candace Robinson
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was pretty stoked to read this book when my friend gave it to me. I hadn't heard of it, and you know what? It was awesome! Bring on the Ouija boards!

What I loved best about this book was it had quirkiness, weirdness, and fun times! Julie was likable and frustrating, yet cool, all in the same package. Clark was so cute and he seriously reminded me of Duckie from Pretty in Pink!

Overall, this is a fun little mystery that still had some good emotional aspects. The writing was great and I can't
Ashley Daviau
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I absolutely adored this book! I was expecting something cheesy and cute and while it was cute, it was also much more than that and most definitely not cheesy. This book deals with issues that all of us have dealt with, especially the loss of loved ones and that makes it very real and easy to relate to. I really enjoyed seeing Julie and Clark deal with their losses. And I especially enjoyed the element of spirits that was mixed in, it made the story that much more interesting! I wasn't really ...more
Deborah Markus
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Block's most famous books, "Weetzie Bat" and "Witch Baby," are pass or fail tests. You're either enchanted by them and therefore willing to forgive some overblown language and bursts of woo, or you're knocked over by waves of purple prose and nauseated by all the freakin' adorableness.

I tend toward cranky and despise woo, so I was as surprised as anyone to find myself in love with these two books.

For their sake, I keep giving Block a try now and then. I read "Pink Smog" and "Necklace of Kisses"
Wendi Lee
Julie's life collapses when her beloved grandmother passes away. She and her mother are forced to move into a dingy apartment, and she has to attend a new high school. Her only solace is a new friend, Clark. Clark's grieving as well - his twin brother passed away the year before. But when Clark and Julie use an Ouija board to contact Julie's grandmother, they end up summoning a different, more threatening spirit.

This was a solid paranormal book. I liked Julie and Clark, and their references to
Jessika
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love FLB so, so much.
There is really just NO ONE else like her. Not even close. She is almost like her own genre, y'know?

So anyways. I've had this gem since it came out last year, and just didn't get around to it (though I definitely gushed over the super gorgeous magical-creepy-kitschy cover many a time, tehee).
But yeah, the depth and scope of the story totally caught me off guard.
Don't get me wrong... she is hands-down a master of lyrical, absolutely decadent (and sometimes a lil
Janice
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am not sure there are enough nice things I can say about this book. I will start with, "Teen Spirit" is the most movie-worthy young adult book I have read in some time. Every character, starting with the earthy yet vulnerable protagonist Julie, is someone you want to know more about.
The magical aspects of "Teen Spirit" not only entertaining, but also well researched. Anyone with basic knowledge of auras, Paganism, rituals, or anything slightly "occult" will recognize the clues Block sprinkles
Marie
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
The review box on Goodreads is topped with "What did you think?" Honestly, for this book, I'd just shrug my shoulders and mumble something noncommittal. Like "meh." This was my first Francesca Lia Block; are all of her books like this one? Is this a good litmus? Because if so I have a hard time understanding all the "let's bow down and worship at the throne of FLB, the greatest YA author of the last couple decades!" I don't know; I did read this while not feeling great with some kind of vague ...more
Catfairy Books
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: halloweeny, arc-copy
When I first picked up a Francesca Lia Block at 16 years old it was at a time that I felt lost and felt those typical teenage feelings like no one understood me. (This book brought me back to my teenage self so much that I was even inspired to catch a few Buffy the Vampire episodes for old times on Netflix...will explain as to why later on:) ) Francesca Lia Block had the remarkable ability to make me see the beauty in my life and to see the beauty in myself even through all my quirks and ...more
CiderandRedRot
This novel rubbed me all up the wrong way, which is a shame because: Ouija boards, weird paranormal crap, vintage stores, possessed fridges, Hollywood bungalows, teens adjusting to a dramatic downgrading of economic status? All big hell yeah checkmarks in my book. But I found this book to be more of an icky paranormal romance masquerading as a ghost story. I'd heard good things about Block and she writes well; well enough that I ended up speed-reading through this zippy, short novel with a weird ...more
Nicki
May 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Not her best work. I have been reading Francesca Lia Block since I was in high school and have kept up with every release she has made since then, this was quite a disappointment. Both of the characters are weak, underdeveloped, and uninteresting. The references to modern music seemed like a desperate attempt to connect with the audience.

The book seems so forced, like the author was trying to jump on that fantasy/romance thing that has all the Twilight fans screaming for more. It's cheap. And
Teresa Barrera
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a pretty quick read, great for passing the time waiting at the dr's office or a trolley ride, etc.
I admit the cover reached out and claimed my eyeballs and I had to pick it up to read.
Julie is devastated after the passing of her grandmother and to top it off, her mother loses her job forcing them to move out of her grandmother's home and into an apartment. Julie also has to start over at a new school.
At her new school she meets Clark who's awkward and imbalanced and they become fast
Diana
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
The Dangerous Angels books by Francesca Lia Block are some of my all time favourite reads. I've kept up with her other books but none seemed to hit the mark. This one, while having some references that will date it, was better than some previous efforts. I'll remain true to this author and hope she can hit the heights again.
Bunny
Jan 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Only six months since adding it to the to-read list. Sweet. The last time I tried to read a FLB book, it did not end well. Fingers crossed.
----

I am disappointed.

But not because this book was awful. Really and truly, it wasn't. Julie is a really great character, as was Clark. Even The Mother was a great representation of depression and grief.

The plot was really interesting, up until the very very end. It was a bit heavy handed, with the ouija board just magically being in the drawer, and
Haley
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Teen Spirit is a short, fast, and fun read. It’s a standalone, and it’s a complete story. It contains interesting and unique characters and paranormal twists. It’s set in Beverly Hills and the Los Angeles area of California. Julie, the main character, had a grandmother who recently died. Her mother, a TV writer, loses her job about a year later, and Julie has to move from Hollywood to Beverly Hills, from a house to an apartment.

Julie is half Cherokee and Jewish. Her father was just a sperm
Ashley Ehlers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Originally posted on Paranormal Sisters: http://paranormalsisters.blogspot.com...

I'm utterly disappointed, this book was meh and I was absolutely bored throughout it. There were little dashes where I was entertained but then those moments would flicker away, not going to there full potential. Nothing exciting or scary happened, I wasn't sitting on the edge of my seat. And the romance, what romance? It was absolutely boring and there was nothing romantic about it. There was no development for it.
Creepypasta  & Squirrels
~~~~

This is the first FLB book I've read and I enjoyed it flaws and all. It was lighthearted and fun in spite of the main focus on death and ghosts. This was a quick read and although I really liked Julie's character I didn't feel much for the other people in her life. They seemed more like background props to move her story along than people in their own right. Julie's mother was a very one-dimensional character without much depth at all. I'm not sure we.are even given her name. I'm surprised
Nicole Field
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This novel was an utterly delightful gothic ghost story. Teenaged Julia has just lost her grandmother and her mum is sinking steadily into an alienating depression. Her only friend is Clark and, one dark night, the two of them pull out a Ouiji board and essentially perform a seance to communicate with Julia's dead grandmother. Of course, that's not exactly what happens, for Clark also has a dead loved one: his twin brother Grant.

What follows is a fantastic haunting without necessarily good or
Erica
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book more than I expected to. My only complaint is that it was too short I want more of these characters. Movie or tv show please! The buffy and potter references made me adore the characters gotta love nerdy characters. The story it's self was beautiful ignoring the paranormal romance aspects it was stunning novel about grief, death, & loss. Sidenote the teen spirit/ghost, Grant. was very determined to get laid such a typical teen male even dead they are thinking about sex. ...more
Janina
Jul 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: teens-paranormal
I thought for sure when I started this book that I would give it 4 stars because I liked the writing. I like how Block creates atmosphere. It makes you feel as though you are in the moment with the characters and I appreciate that.

However, there were times when I could have done without Julie, the narrator. I felt at times she was a terrible friend to Clark and he deserved better. There were also times when I wanted to smack Clark - however, he was not a bad friend Julie.

There was a lot going
Emily Crowe
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Eh. I had pretty decent expectations of this book because of what I'd heard about author's other books, but this one never really convinced me of its premise. I did like the multiple Buffy the Vampire Slayer references, but that was really the only thing. Think "Practical Magic" Lite and you have a decent idea of this book.
Sian Lile-Pastore
Now and again some of the sentences seemed a bit weirdly written, but generally I was swept away.

Block always manages to grab me with her descriptions of LA, vintage clothing and vegan food and this book also had lots about ghosts and magic too so I was sold.

I would say her style is not for everyone but I love reading her books and once I've read one, I just want more.
Monica
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't loved a book of Block's this much since Pink Smog. Protagonist Julie and her best friend Clark work through grief and fear with syncretic spiritual traditions. Reading the novel itself is an enactment of ritual.
Hell
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
What happened to the FLB I love? This feels like her publisher told her to turn out something that fits the genres that are popular right now and she tried but it didn't fit her. The genie in the bottle was her. Possessed refrigerator? I don't even understand that.
Ruth
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I give FLB books 5 stars always because she is my favorite author since I was a teen. I consume her books in a few hours, sweet snacks full of beautiful poetry and imagery. Not looking for deep meaning in young adult lit, I just like losing myself in her words for a bit.
Ronan
Jan 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Every time I try to read something of FLB's, I expect to feel about her stories the way I felt when I was fifteen.

But I don't feel that way, and I don't expect I'll ever like anything she writes other than (MAYBE) poetry ever again. I am, simply put, too old for Francesca Lia Block. I suspect the same can be said for the other adults here that didn't care for the this novella either.

Even though FLB is technically listed as YA, I really don't think her work is appropriate for readers above
Stacey Adams
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Julie has a great attachment to her grandmother Miriam. When Miriam dies Julie finds herself alone for the first time. Her mother isn't any comfort going through her own grief and depression. Then Clark comes into Julie's life and finally she has a friend she can talk to. But Clark is afraid of so many things. He doesn't want to talk about death and especially not trying to communicate with those who are dead. But he cares for Julie and knows she needs his help. Hiding secrets from his past he ...more
Regina Peters
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Congratulations, Goat Girls and Beautiful Boys. The magic is back!

For those who don't know, that was a reference to the two anthology titles containing, respectively, volumes 2-3 and 4-5 of Francesca Lia Block's Weetzie Bat series, all five of which are now sold under the title Dangerous Angels. They are her best work, wildly creative and utterly unique, and while none of her later works could possibly compare, Teen Spirit comes closer than any of them since Necklace of Kisses in 2005. And I'm
Caity
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So captivating. I love Francesca Lia Block’s writing and this is such a great example of why. The setting is wonderful real and magical in a way that makes the magic so believable. The characters are interesting and overall so fun to read about.
Madame Jane
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A moving book about grief and letting go.
Jenna
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
2.75 stars This book read like it was written for tweens. I would say 10-13 year old range. A few choice words and scenes, however, let you know this is actually a young adult novel. Plus the main characters are 18.
Had some kitschy elements that I really liked. The romance part was weird though. And the ending wasn’t super satisfying for me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Squashed
  • Anna and the Apocalypse
  • Super Fun Sexy Times
  • The Missing Season
  • The History of Gangster Rap: From Schoolly D to Kendrick Lamar, the Rise of a Great American Art Form
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bitterest Pill (Jesse Stone, #18)
  • Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid, #4)
  • The Rise (The Originals, #1)
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening (Moonstruck #2)
  • Freak Magnet
  • Wonderful Tonight
  • All the Forever Things
  • As Dead As It Gets (Bad Girls Don't Die, #3)
  • Here I Go Again
  • Trail of Crumbs
  • From Bad to Cursed (Bad Girls Don't Die, #2)
  • The Best Lies
Francesca Lia Block is the author of more than twenty-five books of fiction, non-fiction, short stories and poetry. She received the Spectrum Award, the Phoenix Award, the ALA Rainbow Award and the 2005 Margaret A. Edwards Lifetime Achievement Award, as well as other citations from the American Library Association and from the New York Times Book Review, School Library Journal and Publisher’s ...more
“My breath clouded the air like a little ghost escaping from my body.” 1 likes