Start by marking “Catalyst (Insignia, #3)” as Want to Read:
Catalyst (Insignia, #3)

Catalyst (Insignia #3)

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  3,572 Ratings  ·  349 Reviews
S. J. Kincaid has created a fascinating dystopian world for Insignia, her futuristic science-fiction adventure series perfect for fans of Ender's Game. Earth is in the middle of WWIII, battling to determine which governments and corporations will control the resources of the solar system.

Teen Tom Raines grew up with nothing, some days without even a roof over his head. The
Published October 28th 2014 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Catalyst, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
S.J. Kincaid
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Michelle Mcroberts Very rarely are books stolen and leaked online, but it does happen. Most of us that review books prior to their release dates have access to ARCs -…moreVery rarely are books stolen and leaked online, but it does happen. Most of us that review books prior to their release dates have access to ARCs - Advance Reader Copies - sent to us by the booksellers or publishers. These can either be in printed text or e-versions from portals such as Netgalley. Bloggers or book reviewers sign up on these websites and publishers choose to whom they will send books.(less)

Josh
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Okay so I feel obliged to tell you all that I've been stalking around GoodReads, reading reviews for almost a year now, but this series is what finally got me to create an account so I could post this.

THIS SERIES IS AMAZING

I actually just got Insignia yesterday morning after seeing the GoodReads page and finished Vortex about 10 minutes ago. The only reason I ever put the book down was to eat, and even then unwillingly.

But anyways, I didn't just come on here to post what an amazing series this i
Alice Cai
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, 4-star-5-star
4.5* I was a bit pissed when I finished this because things weren't exactly how I wanted it, but now I love this book which literally happens every time I finish one of these because I remember the really fucking weird moments that happen. Like there was this part where the world was ending (yes I'm serious) and Tom's friend walks in breathless because he fucked someone.

This whole book was super dramatic. This last book takes place over 2+ years. I liked the 2nd book better though. Didn't like t
Esthela Gómez

update OK IM GOING TO START READING IT RIGHT NOW

NOOOOOO! I FINISHED IT, I DIDN'T WANT TO. I WANTED TO KEEP ON READING FOREVER

description

sorry for the shouty letters

Since I started this series I said THIS IS MY FAVORITE SCIENCE FICTION BOOK EVER and still is. This trilogy has everything, I laughed hysterically, cried, screamed, sighed, etc, It has inspired so many feelings that other books have not. Why is that? the characters, each one of them are so fantastically written. Throughout the series you can see
Reading is my Escape
Exciting Middle Grade series!!
I love this series. World War III played out in space by teenagers with computers in their heads. Evil corporations and men that control the food, the water, and the war. The teens experience typical teen angst, in addition to the intrigue and dangers of being pawns in a war.

This final book in the series takes a bit of a turn, but I loved it!

Read this series or encourage your 5th graders and up to read it!!
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
Catalyst has got to be one of my most anticipated reads of this year....and that was before I had even finished reading Vortex. I have loved this series from the start, devouring every book and wanting more straight after, and while I wanted to have Catalyst, I also didn't want it, by reading it then I was admitting that this series would be over. that there would be no more from the characters that I have loved, that have grown up in each new installment and made an even bigger impact on me.

I b
Kayla Ashley
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This was so good. I am so sad right now to say goodbye to this story and these characters. I really enjoyed this trilogy!

I did have a few issues with this book but it was so wonderfully crafted and I enjoyed it so much that I feel like I have to give it 5 stars! :)
Reading is my Escape

This final book in the series takes a bit of a turn, but I loved it!

Read this series or encourage your 5th graders and up to read it!!
Lindsay Cummings
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was always intrigued by the INSIGNIA series, especially when I heard that it was pitched as "Hogwarts in Space" on a recent Goodreads description.

I hadn't picked up the series until HarperCollins sent me this final book for review. I picked it up...and flew through them all.
I have always love SciFi, but for some reason, I'm reluctant to pick up some titles, because I'm afraid they will disappoint. Now I wish I'd picked up INSIGNIA long ago, so that I could be a part of the fandom's excitement
C.P. Cabaniss
Insignia and Vortex, the first two books in this trilogy, were excellent. Some of my favorite reads this year. This, however, was in an entire league of its own.

I was honestly wondering, going into this, how things could possibly be wrapped up in ~400 pages. I did not need to worry. These pages were packed with non-stop action, insane twists that surprised and delighted me, heartbreaking events, and a beautiful story.

This is one of the best series conclusions I believe I have ever read. And no
N Islam
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
So, I've finished this entire series in 3 days. A book each day, and i don't regret it.

This had to be one of the most rewarding stories I've ever read. Loads of people write dystopian/sci-fi without doing any research into science fiction or even science for that matter. This author most certainly did.

I don't like bittersweet endings. This series makes you suffer through a lot of painful experiences, but I can assure you that there's a good end, and its a completely justified one.

This book broug
Audrey
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-of-2014
4.5/5

Gosh, I love this series. I don't finish a lot of series, but boy am I glad to have finished this one.

It's a bit slow to start, and it takes some time to get used to the characters, storyline, and terminology again... but it didn't take too long to get up and running again. I LOVED the way Kincaid has evolved her young, exciting action series into something more mature, thought-provoking, darker, and ominous. She went DARK, man, I didn't expect it but I really appreciated it anyway. She ma
Jennie
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi, ya
A solid conclusion to a solid series.

Insignia was one of those books you blow through in a day. Sure, it may have been a bit derivative, but the strength of the plot and the characters was enough to keep me up all night. The second book, Vortex was less engaging. I forgive it, sophomore slump is not uncommon. But I finished it still interested in Tom Raines, still anticipating where the plot would go next.

I take that all back for Catalyst. It's the best of the series, for me -- an accomplishment
Aylee
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
You can also read this review on my blog

In short: Catalyst by S.J. Kincaid is a fantastic finale to a very entertaining trilogy.

And so ends another much beloved series. I've been anticipating the ending to this high-action, high-stakes dystopian sci-fi for a while now - and thankfully this finale doesn't disappoint! The Insignia Trilogy follows gamer Tom Raines who, upon being recruited by the Pentagon and having a chip implanted in his head, can control fighter ships remotely in space as part o
Marcus
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Let me start this Review by saying:

"The World does not come to an End on Page 171, it will be okay."

In my opinion catalyst starts off a little slow, with no clear cut path. Really Kincaid spends a lot of time in the first half of the book setting up for the climax. And setting up with what will happen in the latter half. Which she does a good job doing. The first half of the book is a four star, but the second half is a five star.

Finally for those readers who are wondering... Blackburn and Rain
Michael *Windrunner*
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, science-fiction
I think this series is underrated or at least under read on Goodreads. Granted it isn't earth shatteringly awesome, but it is a worthy book in its own right with a complex story and fun dialog.

This final book had me repeatedly thinking "how is this going to wrap up this whole series by the end of this book?" There was just so much conflict and I couldn't predict the resolution. I can say that the ending didn't feel rushed or abused as things moved toward completion.

This isn't a complaint about
Gary
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
the end of this series was a bit of a let down don't get me wrong i enjoyed it put i feel as if there is so much still missing from the story so because of that only four stars
Taschima
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was SO good, I literally have no words for it.

Review to come, when I am able to get my thoughts straight again.
Shannon
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I no longer think it's possible to read an S.J. Kincaid book and not love it. She's amazing! I love this series so much. I don't know why I put off reading this for so long. For some reason I thought I wasn't really into the series anymore but this book quickly sucked me back in and I loved it. It is definitely one of the best sci-fi series out there. If you love Harry Potter and space you need to check it out!
Guillermo Morales
No tengo palabras para decir lo mucho que me hizo sentir este libro. Me saco infinidad de carcajadas, me hizo enojar e incluso me entró frustación por no poder ayudar.
Lo me sorprendió fue como pasó, de entrenamientos para las Fuerzas Instrasolares a la unión de naciones para evitar que una persona se hiciera con todo el control del mundo.
Me voy a llorar al rincón.
Renuka
Let me get something out of the way. My younger brother is twelve years old. He loves playing video games and building things. I am a sixteen year old girl. I wear makeup and dresses and like shopping. We both love, love, love this series. This series is not for a particular group of people. It is for everyone because it is genius. Please do not be turned away because it is a science fiction series. It is genuinely a wonderful set of books.

First off, it is funny. I have laughed out loud in all
Shaheen
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catalyst is the final instalment of the amazing science fiction series that began with Insignia. Tom Raines faces new challenges in this book and faces them with his usual combination of bravery and brashness.

The world-building in this series has always been one of my favourite things, and this book impressed me with how much it explored the consequences of everything in it. Tom Raines is one of a small group of teenagers picked to train as Combatants in WW3. This war is waged off-Earth - unmann
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist-arc
I received this ARC from Harper Collins in exchange for an honest review, thanks!

I love when authors totally, utterly, and completely prove me wrong. I enjoyed Insignia, but wasn't in love, then read Vortex, and was very impressed, and the there's Catalyst, which is by far my favorite of the three. I don't know of a series where the books improved so much from book to book, but Kincaid has definitely done that in spades. I picked up Catalyst yesterday evening for some light night time reading, a
Ally
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that it's only polite curiosity that brings me back to finishing this trilogy. After the crazy events in Vortex, I'm not quite happy with the series. Insignia will and always will be my favorite book. But... When I start reading Catalyst, I start liking this book too. It's much, much better than Vortex, and the stakes are so much higher than ever.

Tom Raines is annoying, but he is that kind of annoying that grows on a person. Catalyst shows one of the most interesting character d
Shelley
**I received this book for free from Katherine Tegen Books via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Young Adult, Science Fiction
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

CATALYST brings an end to the INSIGNIA trilogy, and sends our hero, Tom Raines, off into the sunset where he definitely deserves a much need vacation. Tom is once again joined by his gang of misfits/friends; Vikra Ashwan, Wyatt Enslow, and Yuri Sysevich. CAT
Andres Becerra
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me demoré por que estaba como con una pequeña resaca literaria.

Pero es perfecto de principio a fin, está lleno de giros y lleno de acción. Se puede ver como el personaje sigue evolucionando a pesar de los momentos difíciles que está pasando.

Uno de los mejores finales de trilogías que he leído hasta el momento. Me encariñe bastante de cada personaje y se les extrañará bastante.

No se si quedarme con este o con la primera parte, por que ambos están llenos de acción y partes que te dejan completamen
Christina
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kapow, I've finished this series! It's hard to believe I could complete a series in such record time but S.J. Kincaid made it so easy with her inspiring plot and loveable characters (even the ones you hate at first, you'll grow to love in the end)! The Insignia series has been nothing short of spectacular from the very first book. Catalyst concluded everything wonderfully, delivering more impressive twists and mind-numbing action than ever.
Majd Abdulghani
Amazing characters. Amazing character development. So many emotions. Has its faults, but makes you feel so much that you don't even care.
This is one of my all-time favourite series and Thomas Raines will forever have a dear place in my heart.
Ara Montoya
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ochenta mil estrellas.
Nathaniel
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
This is a review for the entire trilogy by S.J. Kincaid, including Insignia, Vortex, and Catalyst. THERE ARE SPOILERS.

This was a trilogy that started out really strong and then did a Hunger Games in book 3. I'm not sure what it is with recent series--or even if it really is a recent phenomenon--but I've noticed that quite a lot of trilogies (or longer series) can't seem to stick the landing. The Hunger Games is a pretty epic example of a meltdown (for both the protagaonist and the story as a who
Insignia Becoming A Movie! 3 53 Sep 22, 2015 11:03AM
  • Invisible Sun (Hell's Cross, #2)
  • Crashland (Twinmaker #2)
  • Don't Let Go (PERSEFoNE, #3)
  • Polaris (Avalon, #2)
  • The Far Dawn (The Atlanteans, #3)
  • Remember Me (Find Me, #2)
  • Strange Skies (Burn Out, #2)
  • Sunrise (Ashfall, #3)
  • Etherworld (Elusion, #2)
  • Storm (The SYLO Chronicles, #2)
  • Dan vs. Nature
  • Idols (Icons, #2)
  • Burn (Scan, #2)
  • Untitled (Annex, #3)
  • Passenger (The Marbury Lens, #2)
  • The Darkest Path
  • The Order of Odd-Fish
  • The Invisible (Brokenhearted, #2)

Insignia (3 books)
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“He felt like anything was possible around her, like his life meant more, like he meant more.” 7 likes