Start by marking “Stolen (Taken, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Stolen (Taken, #0.5)

Stolen

(Taken 0.5)

Before Gray Weathersby uncovered the truth about Claysoot and the Laicos Project, a girl named Bree came of age in the coastal settlement of Saltwater—and made her own surprising journey to the world beyond its borders. In Stolen, discover the story of Bree’s life before she was Snatched from her home, before she joined the rebellion, and before she met a boy named Gray…
Published February 4th 2014 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Stolen, please sign up.
Erin Bowman Nope, You absolutely do NOT have to read this first. It's often marketed as a prequel novella (and it is technically a prequel, with its events…moreNope, You absolutely do NOT have to read this first. It's often marketed as a prequel novella (and it is technically a prequel, with its events happening chronologically before those in Taken). However, I like to think of Stolen as more of a *companion* novella. It supplements the trilogy's storyline, adds depth and provides background for a supporting character, but it's by no means required reading to enjoy and understand the rest of the series. Hope that helps! :)

EDITED TO ADD: I read the question incorrectly and thought it said do you need to read Stolen first! My bad. That said, you don't *have* to read Taken first, but since Stolen supplements the trilogy, Stolen might make the most sense (and give you more insights to the world) if you've already met the cast of characters in Taken.(less)
YA Novels of 2014
1,545 books — 9,147 voters
Infinite Repeat by Paula StokesThe Prince by Kiera CassA Dawn Most Wicked by Susan DennardGilded Ashes by Rosamund HodgePhoenix Overture by Jodi Meadows
HarperTeen Impulse
46 books — 72 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin Bowman
Jun 21, 2013 marked it as books-i-wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
To clear up some confusion:

Yes, this is a prequel, with the events of STOLEN happening prior to TAKEN. However, this novella is perhaps best read after TAKEN. STOLEN supplements TAKEN's existing plot line and should be viewed as more of a companion story than anything else. It gives insights to Bree's character that play into the sequels, FROZEN and FORGED, so iIf you try to read STOLEN before any of the novels, you'll likely be left a little lost.

That's all. Thanks for reading. You guys rock. :
Andie
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty sure I enjoyed this novella more than the full length novel, Taken. I'm even more excited to continue this series now! I wasn't the biggest Bree fan in Taken but now I'm completely on board! She is such a strong character and I loved getting her backstory even if it did break my heart a little :(
Noella
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mar15-the-chaser
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Stolen is a short novella from the Taken series, best read after book one, Taken. It's about Bree's life back in Saltwater before she was "snatched" and learned about the Order and the Laicos Project. You get a much better understanding of why she's the way she is today-strong, fierce and very independent. I definitely sympathize with her character a lot more after reading this novella and will look at her in a different light when reading the rest of the series.
Kassiah
Aug 12, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: pub-2014, ya, ft-dystopian
I hope this is about Blaine because...#teamblaine!
Nina
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I discovered this novella when looking for FROZEN, the second book of this series, and decided to read this one before. That was a really good decision, because after reading TAKEN I already know something about the story line and what might happen next, when the main characters set out for a new adventure. But until then we just know about Gray's background story; in STOLEN we get to know Bree's.

I once more like the spelling style very much as well as the plot and therefore give a 5 star ratin
Sleepless
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
It's hard to give this any more than three stars. The entire reading experience was like "okay. Huh. Ok." I didn't feel all too much. It was nice to know Bree more but other than that, I don't have much to say.
Pili
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Stolen is chronologically happening before Taken, but somehow I think it'd make more sense to read it after reading Taken. Mostly because at the end we get a peek at events happening in Taken and it'd be better to go at those un-spoiled. Beware if you haven't read Taken, cause I might refer to some spoilery happenings in this review.

Stolen is Bree's story in her home, Saltwater. We discover a different Bree from the one we met in Taken, but this was before she was "snatched" and we learn about s
Christina
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Boys are Snatched on their 18th birthdays and in some cases, the toughest girls. With her father Snatched and her mother dead, Bree has been living with Lock, Heath and their mother Chelsea. With less than 6 days till Lock's birthday, time is running out for Bree to act on her feelings for Lock. And what will Lock choose to do - swim to the horizons or face the Snatching?

Stolen was a wonderful novella that 'took' me by surprise. Not a page was wasted in world and character building. The whole Sn
Katy Upperman
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
It’s possible I loved this novella even more than its full-length predecessor. Bree is my favorite character from Erin Bowman’s debut Taken, so even though I have a serious aversion to eBooks, I had to read this story. And I’m glad I did! It shed so much light on Bree’s background and her behavior in Taken, and it very much broke my heart (Lock… *sniffle*). After reading Stolen, I can’t wait for Taken‘s follow-up, Frozen.
Sharon Mariampillai
I loved this read. It makes me want to read Taken even more. I love the characters and the world. I can tell that this series is going to be awesome. The protagonist Bree, short for Brianna, is so interesting. She is a strong character and very fierce. She also has a lot of compassion for who she loves. I felt so bad about what happened with Heath. I can't wait to read this series! I'm going to start reading Taken today! Yay!
I have to say that I'm not really sure what the point of this short story was. Bree moans, inadvertantly injures her adoptive brother, makes a pass at her other adoptive brother, and then somebody dies. Not really sure what the point was, it didn't reaally endear Bree to me, and to be honest I was mostly bored. Bit of a waste of time really.
Dee/ bookworm
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a quick glimpse into Bree's life before the snatching. It was a good quick read and even though it is only about 50 pages long you really get to feel for Bree and understand her better.
Janelle Dazzlepants
I adored Erin Bowman’s Taken series when I was younger, and this was a beautiful and sad backstory for Bree.

I think I cycled through every emotion while reading this novella, and Erin Bowman really knows how to tug at the heartstrings. Shes such a pro at writing unrequited love and it’s accompanying sadness in *such* a visceral way that every young person can relate to. Bree deserves the damn world ;____;

5 stars!
Fyre.Katz
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a short story of events before Taken. The story of Bree and how she was taken by her village because she was the strongest female in her tribe! A tribe unlike Gray's a place by the sea... lots of sea. The story was pretty good even if it was short and it was good to read about Bree... and what she went thru. I'll give 3 stars since its just a small part to the story tho :)

Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read Taken several months ago and had forgotten much of what happened, so I picked up this novella to try to jog my memory so I can proceed with the series in the future. This is a prequel story featuring Bree, and I actually think the whole series might be better if it was from her perspective instead of Gray’s. When reading it, I got some Hunger Games vibes (pre-Games) because these characters reminded me of Katniss and Gale.
Andrea
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
4.5

I wasnt expecting to love Bree and her backstory this much. Shes strong af and I respect that
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting novella that gives some insight into Bree's past.
Sara
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Nothing special really. The backstory is interesting but nothing that would be crucial to characterize Bree.
Marjorie
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Stolen is a novella that is written in Bree's perspective. It is set in Bree's hometown, Saltwater, and its story occurred before the events of Taken. I enjoyed reading this novella and it helped me understand Bree's character even more. It was really nice to learn more about Bree's life before she was "snatched" or Heisted. This novella mainly shows how Bree was shaped into the character that she is in Taken.

In Taken, Bree was a brave, independent, and remarkable young fighter; she is still tha
Dianne
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
*Also posted at Oops! I Read A Book Again*

I won a copy from Erin Bowman. Thank you Erin! *heart* Having been gifted a copy did not affect my views in any way. Warning: There will be spoilers for Taken as I don't think I can talk about either without spilling anything.

If you didn't love Bree just yet in Taken (how is that even possible I don't know as she's kick-ass and strong), you will definitely love her in Stolen. Taken has showcased Claysoot and Taem but we know so little of the other towns
Laura (acquariusgb)
This is part of my New Year’s reading resolution: finish the Taken series. I had this novella and the third book to read.
I decided to start with the novella so I could familiarize myself again with the world of Taken since it’s been awhile since I’ve read the first two.
This novel takes place before Taken but it’s better if you read it after it since there are some elements that need more context.
We follow the life of Bree before Taken. She comes from a village called Saltwater where boys and s
Mel (Reviews In A Pinch)
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-ebook
Actual rating is 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Living in a coastal settlement with no way out. That sounds like a major suckfest. Obviously the whole breeding aspect would be an issue, if not confusing. I just think I’d get seriously bored with it. The entire Taken universe is fascinating though. I do have to admit that this review is for Stolen, the prequel to Taken and I have not read Taken yet. I like to read the prequel(s) first, if at all possible.

Bree was amazing. I want a friend like her and I’m rea
Carie
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to admit I liked this novella more than I liked Taken! Interesting to get some history on Bree—much of it gut-wrenching :( I liked understanding her more--reading about the things that happened to her that made her who she is now. I also liked that the story highlighted some of the many problems this society has wrought on its people: feelings of neglect, abandonment, and low self-esteem as parents, siblings, and friends regularly die or disappear; confused, misguided, and tainted feeling ...more
Nicole (livinglifewithbooks)
What I thought of this book overall (read only this section if you do not want to be spoiled) : I really enjoyed this read. It makes me want to buy Taken even more and read it. I love the characters and the world. I can tell that I will like this series.

The protagonist Bree, short for Brianna, is so interesting. She reminds me a lot of Katniss. I dunno why. She is a strong character and very fierce. She also has a lot of compassion for who she loves.

OMG! I love Locke. He is so hot. (view spoile
LB
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 / 5 stars rating

This review is also posted at http://readingnookandcranny.blogspot....

Stolen is set before the events in Taken and follows Bree in her time still in her home community. Even though the story is a novella, Bowman still finds time to throw in angst with some young adult romance, which rather irritated me. If you take out this factor, however, it is still an entertaining read, and something to add to your list for sure if you are a devoted fan of the Taken series. While the roma
Mehsi
I have been interested in Taken for some time, but needed motivation to really read it. Sadly the prequel doesn't really provide me motivation, if anything it demotivates me.

I didn't like Bree. I didn't like Lock. The only character I slightly sympathized with was Heath and his illness and later his wounds and what happens after that.

I am still very confused about the whole taking/snatching thing and how it works. So not everyone gets snatched? Some get to stay? And girls disappear with 16 and
Drew Constance

I am in love with Erin Bowman, and will shout it to the world. While this book took me a few months to read [I wanted to draw it out] the conclusion was shattering, beautiful and addictive, and am pained as to continue with the sneak peak in the back of the book, even though I already own Frozen, or to hold out until the last book comes out, and do a re-read. This short from Bree's perspective gave her compassion, cause, heart, and flaws and I am so grateful to have read it. There were many tear
Arjaye Nitro
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is what i am talking about loving the book, the story and the characters.

Eversince i met Bree... i rooted for her. Not for Gray or any love prospects for that matter. Its her personality that blew me away. Her strong, independent, scowling most of the time personality. And what did i get from the prequel? a lot of bree! and Lock.. and the chemistry between them. Their story was shortlived, but i felt it! And eventhough I have a very strong feeling that Bree is going to end up wit Gray...unl
Isabel
Jun 30, 2014 added it
3/5 stars •_•

I have to say I expected more from this novella. I was disappointed they didn't give us more on Bree's character. It was kind of just a depressing story. ~SPOILER~ Although I am happy to know Bree actually has someone missing her in Saltwater. I also had high hopes that the journal that "Bleak" found in Frozen was Bree's from Saltwater. I'm not sure why, I just thought it would be an interesting twist. However, Erin and I do not see eye to eye. Read the story if you want to know who
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dress Your Marines in White (Monument 14, #0.5)
  • Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #1.5)
  • The Fear Trials (The Murder Complex, #0.5)
  • The Shadow's Curse (The Knots Sequence, #2)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • Portrait of a Spore: The 3rd Unhidden Story (Starters, #1.5)
  • Going Dark (Blackout #0.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Secrets of the Time Society  (Timeless, #1.5)
  • The Seers (Holders #2)
  • Undiscovered (Unremembered, #1.5)
  • Shadow (Paper Gods, #0.5)
  • Regret (Possession, #1.5)
  • Isolation (Partials Sequence, #0.5)
  • Born of Corruption (Born of Illusion, #1.5)
Erin Bowman is the critically acclaimed author of numerous books for teens, including the Taken Trilogy, Vengeance Road, Retribution Rails, and the Edgar Award-nominated Contagion duology. A web designer turned author, Erin has always been invested in telling stories—both visually and with words. When not writing, she can often be found hiking, commenting on good typography, and obsessing over all ...more

Taken (3 books)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Frozen (Taken, #2)
  • Forged (Taken, #3)
“She was finally beginning to understand what her mother had meant––how opening up can make you vulnerable.” 4 likes