Start by marking “Courir avec des ciseaux” as Want to Read:
Courir avec des ciseaux

Courir avec des ciseaux

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  312,867 Ratings  ·  11,742 Reviews
The true story of an outlaw childhood where rules were unheard of, the Christmas tree stayed up all year round, Valium was consumed like candy, and if things got dull an electroshock-therapy machine could provide entertainment.

Running with Scissors is the true story of a boy whose mother (a poet with delusions of Anne Sexton) gave him away to be raised by her unorthodox ps
287 pages
Published 2005 by Passage du Marais (first published July 10th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Courir avec des ciseaux, please sign up.

Maria Stevenson Yes, one, the other, both or some other disorder, but definitely something in the mental illness spectrum. I also notice that in that era (Augusten…moreYes, one, the other, both or some other disorder, but definitely something in the mental illness spectrum. I also notice that in that era (Augusten was born around the same time as me) back in the 50s, 60s and 70s and breaking through to the "Me" generation of the 80s, despite the hippy movement people were incredibly ego-driven and had not, perhaps, had as much exposure to what we might call "new age" ideas, and I don't mean in a totally navel-gazing way but more, "We are all connected, all molecules and the entire universe." (less)

Oriana
Jul 22, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2007
I talk about this all the time, so here, definitively, is my explanation of the four categories of memoir.

1) People who have had seriously interesting / crazy lives, and who also happen to be terrific writers, able to render their stories in a compelling, original way (like David Small's brilliant Stitches , or what I consider the gold-standard memoir, Nick Flynn's breathtaking Another Bullshit Night in Suck City ).

2) People whose lives are interesting / crazy enough that it really doesn't ma
Martin
Dec 31, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone mentally healthy enough not to be tortured by it
I found this book profoundly disturbing and torturous to read. I understand that it is cleansing and theraputic for those that have been traumitized to write/talk aobut their problems to help with the healing process. There are very few things that my ironclad stomach can't suffer and my brain is developed enough to handle even the most shocking of situations. This book tested my patience from begining to end and in the end I was very dissapointed.

First off, from reviews and the book cover I was
Scott
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She wasn't "Let's paint the kitchen red" crazy. She was full on head in the oven, toothpaste sandwich, I am God crazy..

paraphrased, but you get it..
Fabian
Oct 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in about four hours. & maybe that's as good an encapsulation of the experience as I can give.

I like the eccentric, non-plot-driven memoir that sounds too strange to be true... and because it exists, because it ACTUALLY happened (unlike you, James Frey!!), it merits thoughts about American families in addition to the ironies of self-obsessed psychologies.

Written in cute concise prose, even if some jokes do not actually make you laugh but sicken you to the point of feeling tru
Tina
Jun 26, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone I don't like
Recommended to Tina by: book group
I learned, along with the rest of my reading group, that running with scissors is preferable to reading this book.
Timothy
Aug 29, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Family settles with "Running with Scissors" author, publisher
By Rodrique Ngowi, Associated Press Writer | August 29, 2007

BOSTON --A family that claimed author Augusten Burroughs defamed them in his best-selling book "Running with Scissors" has settled a lawsuit against the author and his publisher, their attorney said Wednesday.

Burroughs and his publisher, St. Martin's Press, agree to call the work a "book" instead of "memoirs," in the author's note and to change the acknowledgments page in futu
Jason Pettus
Jun 20, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
(Today's review is much longer than Goodreads' word-count limitations. Find the entire essay at the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally.)

I've mentioned here regularly the entire idea of there being an "underground-arts canon;" that is, that just like the academic community, what we call the modern cutting-edge arts has now been around long enough (arguably
Will Byrnes
Burroughs offers a book that is supposedly a memoir. If so, then truth is definitely stranger than fiction. Let’s say I am skeptical. If you thought you had a tough adolescence a look at Burroughs’ tale will put your experience into a little perspective.

He grew up in western Massachusetts to a mother who was probably bi-polar, in what seems like ground zero for inappropriate behavior. She was seeing a peculiar psychiatrist who had a fondness for having patients come to live at his home, a chaot
Will N Van
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with absurd, dark sensibilities.

It has been said that Truman Capote's last book, "Answered Prayers," cost him the friendship of almost everyone he knew at that time in his life, and it has even been speculated that this contributed to his demise. He had mined the personal secrets and character flaws of those around him for literary gold, and most probably embellished as brilliant authors often do. The characters were apparently easily correlated to their real-life counterparts.

And so, things haven't changed all that much. Augu
Saleh MoonWalker
Onvan : Running with Scissors - Nevisande : Augusten Burroughs - ISBN : 031242227X - ISBN13 : 9780312422271 - Dar 315 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 2002
  • SantaLand Diaries
  • Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's
  • She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana
  • Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Still Waters
  • The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life
  • My Friend Leonard
  • Kick Me: Adventures in Adolescence
  • She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders
  • Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots
  • Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain
  • Once Upon a Secret: My Affair with President John F. Kennedy and Its Aftermath
  • Drinking: A Love Story
Augusten Burroughs born Christopher Robison, son of poet and writer Margaret Robison and younger brother of John Elder Robison.

Burroughs has no formal education beyond elementary school. A very successful advertising copywriter for over seventeen years, he was also an alcoholic who nearly drank himself to death in 1999. But spurned by a compulsion he did not understand, Burroughs began to write a
More about Augusten Burroughs...
“I know exactly how that is. To love somebody who doesn’t deserve it. Because they are all you have. Because any attention is better than no attention. For exactly the same reason, it is sometimes satisfying to cut yourself and bleed. On those gray days where eight in the morning looks no different from noon and nothing has happened and nothing is going to happen and you are washing a glass in the sink and it breaks-accidentally-and punctures your skin. And then there is this shocking red, the brightest thing in the day, so vibrant it buzzes, this blood of yours. That is okay sometimes because at least you know you’re alive.” 854 likes
“It’s a wonder I’m even alive. Sometimes I think that. I think that I can’t believe I haven’t killed myself. But there’s something in me that just keeps going on. I think it has something to do with tomorrow, that there is always one, and that everything can change when it comes.” 381 likes