Start by marking “Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1)

Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  44,208 Ratings  ·  7,221 Reviews
I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.

But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado - taking you with it - you have no choice but to go along, you know?

Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little bluebirds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witch
Published April 1st 2014 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Dorothy Must Die, please sign up.

Katelyn Its really good! I bought it and never got around to it till a week ago. Thought i would hate it but really loved it.
Drew Fields Justo Roca Editorial acaba de confirmar su publicación en español, en el mes de Septiembre lo podremos comprar :)

Khanh (the Grinch)
Welcome to Oz. Take a look at the Yellow Brick Road. Like it? Good. Now run away, run faaaaaaaaaaar away. Pray for a tornado to take you back to Kansas, because man, Oz is fucked up as shit.
“Oz has changed,” Gert said. “The trees don’t talk. The Pond of Truth tells lies, the Wandering Water stays put. The Land of Naught is on fire. People are starting to get old. People are forgetting how it used to be.”
But let's get back to the beginning, what the fuck happened?! How did Oz get to...this?

The
Emily May
Navessa
Apr 03, 2014 Navessa marked it as stahp
Shelves: trolls-love-me
I won't be reading this. Not because of the author, but because of this:

Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Well, color me surprised--this was excellent! Such a great reimagining of a skewed Oz, with interesting characters, awesome and imaginative use of magic, lots of humor and gore, and genuine emotion. And it's just plain fun.

Abrupt ending, and a couple of other little quibbles, but it's really exciting to have a debut author burst into the scene with such a confident, smart debut. Easily followed if you aren't so familiar with the original books or films, but also so many layers to appr
Nataliya
Apr 05, 2014 Nataliya rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-reads
So, Dorothy must die, huh? Well, perhaps. But if this book is any indication, the cause of this cardiopulmonary arrest would be little else but frustrated boredom.

How do you make the flip-one-of-the-most-known-and-beloved-stories-onto-its-head book uninteresting? Good question. Let me give you some pointers:

-- 1) Make the beginning relatively strong, to draw the readers in and to remind them as the story drags along that this story had potential , that it could have had a strong narrative voic
Krista
The CW is developing this book and it's time to get excited!!! Not only does this book sound awesome but it's going to (maybe-potentially) be on TV!

And I just really want to see Dorothy die.

Is that too much? ;)

----

UPDATE: 4/1/14

So good!!! Lots of action and twists that I didn't see coming. One of the most brutal and violent YA books I've ever read, which just makes it that much more epic since it's set in Oz. And Danielle Paige knows her L. Frank Baum. I've read probably 10+ books about Oz an
Jon

There's no place like home! Enter to win a Dorothy Must Die prize pack!
Whitney Atkinson
Sep 22, 2014 Whitney Atkinson rated it it was amazing
Rose
I think "Dorothy Must Die" was one of the titles I initially thought had the most potential among some of the newer releases in YA for this year. I find the quirk in the title rather humorous and have seen variations of it before (a.k.a. "Hello Kitty Must Die," etc.) But sadly, Danielle Paige's debut really didn't impress me all that much.

It's the very definition of what I call "great premise, lacking execution." But that's not to say that I disliked it collectively. No, it left me quite disappo
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
3.5 Stars

REMOVE THE TIN WOODMAN'S HEART
STEAL THE SCARECROW'S BRAIN
TAKE THE LION'S COURAGE
AND THEN DOROTHY MUST DIE

Once upon a time, There was a pink-haired girl named Amy Gumm. She lived in a trailer park with her mother. Her father left her and her mother behind to live with a woman named Crystal. When Amy turned 13 years old her mother had a car accident and started taking pills and this was the time her life was changed completely. Her mother wasn't a sweet mother anymore, she did not ma
May
Sep 21, 2016 May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: estantería
UNA MANERA ORIGINAL DE REINVENTAR EL MUNDO DE OZ

Dorothy debe morir es una novela para lxs amantes de Oz y los retellings. Una novela que continúa la historia del mundo de Oz tras la victoria de Dorothy y que sabrá ponerle los pelos de punta a lxs lectorxs de este gran clásico. Bien escrita, con unos personajes profundizados, Dorothy debe morir ha sabido hacerme replantear ciertos detalles de la novela a la que hace homenaje y me ha mantenido con ganas de saber más hasta el final.
Como digo, est
Lola  Reviewer
May 05, 2014 Lola Reviewer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of The Wizard of Oz and retellings.
description

Oh gosh, where shall I start?

This book…was really something; an amazing thing.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

4 ''It made my day'' stars

To be honest, I never absolutely was a big fan of Dorothy’s story in The Wizard of Oz, which means I was a little reluctant to buy this one. Ok, I was very reluctant. Except, reviewers kept bringing up how a great retelling this one is, and I just love retellings of any sorts. And thank you Belle for the recommendation.

The story...

It hooked
Brigid
Apr 03, 2014 Brigid marked it as to-read
Shelves: ya-fantasy
I think I'll probably be borrowing this from the library, since I don't want to give Full Fathom Five any of my money.

Brandi
Apr 02, 2014 Brandi rated it did not like it
Here's an actual review by my blog partner, who was able to force herself to finish this, and not a moment too soon because I've been putting it off all day and I just can't.

Here's what I have to briefly say: at first the writing was so perfect for me that I likened it to none other than Stacia Kane and I was wrong. What made me think of the similarity was that the opening was completely amazing, the relationship Amy has with her mother was heart breaking, and the way Amy was treated at school
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)

Well, I had wanted to be gone. I’d wanted it for as long as I’d known there was anywhere to go. I wanted other places, other people. Another me. I wanted to leave everything and everyone behind.
But not like this.

We’re off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz….Is he, though? Is he really wonderful? And what about the rest of our beloved WOZ cast? Who’s good, who’s evil….and how do you interpret that little gray area in between? I loved this story and all the mayhem it represented. I l
Cait (Paper Fury)
Jan 12, 2014 Cait (Paper Fury) rated it really liked it
So basically I procrastinated reading this book FOREVER (because I'm a deluded pineapple) and gosh, it was amazing and perfect and I loved it.. The procrastination and fear it wouldn't live up to the hype were totally UNNEEDED. It's an epic retelling. So, so creepy and dark, which is perfect. I kind of reminded me a little of Splintered. It took a fluffy old fantasy world (Oz) and TOTALLY messed it up. WHICH I JUST LOVE.

Although, to be honest, as I look at the gifs of the original movie, I kiiii
eKa (THe ShALLoWbiRd)
SOMEONE'S MESSING WITH HIS STORY.
WHAT WOULD MR. BAUM SAY ABOUT IT?

Well, I DON'T CARE. Because I LOVE this book SO MUCH!!! No joking! Even Dorothy will be dumbfounded that I'm against her now.

Yes! That's how great the story is. How the author made me believe that Dorothy was no longer Dorothy I used to know. She's an EVIL now. A magic-hoarding fascist. Even her friends and Glinda had all changed. Screw them!

“Down is up, up is down. Good is Wicked, Wicked is Good. The times are changing. This is
Jamie
Apr 03, 2014 Jamie rated it really liked it
I want to start off by saying that when I started this book I what I would think if it. My twisted sense of curiosity is what got the best of me on this one and I am glad it did. Lots of twisted and backwards adventure to be found here!

Amy Gunn is your average girl who has been dealt a bad hadn at life. She has no friends (thanks to nasty Ms. Madison), her father left when she was young and her mom is is a druggie. She wants nothing more than to get away from her crappy trailer life. Well she ge
Natalie Monroe
EDIT 20/10/2014: Reason for change in rating in comment 9. My original thoughts on this book can be found below:

I've had my eye on Dorothy Must Die for a while now. Ever since the blurb came out, I've been eagerly anticipating the release because the premise sounds fucking fantastic. A dark retelling of The Wizard of Oz, an evil Dorothy and an assassination mission.

My expectations were sky-high and Dorothy Must Die delivered.

Its world-building is on par with the likes of Splintered, a
Liz
Apr 03, 2014 Liz rated it did not like it
The rating would have been 2 stars higher if it had been a stand-alone with a proper conclusion instead of a rushed cliff-hanger and a confused protagonist.

I don't feel like writing a proper review. Let's settle on why I did not rate it with 3 stars like I had expected around the first half of the book.

1. The protagonist did not work for me. Like, at all. I get that she had a shitty life, I get that she is full of doubts and fears and repressed emotions, but usually when thrown into a challengi
Aimee

It's pretty obvious why this one was a must-read for me, right? A Wizard of Oz retelling where Dorothy is evil... I had to read it. No questions asked. And then I finished it... and was utterly disappointed. Remember my review of Hexed? I kind of felt that the writing in both books were similar, so if you enjoyed one you'll maybe enjoy the other.

So the story's told from Amy Gumm's perspective. Ah, Amy. The first word that comes to mind when I think of her is shallow. She can't listen to any sor
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

“Those who have sacrificed always have the most to lose”.

Amy Gumm has a pretty crappy life. She lives in a trailer park in BFE, Kansas, is being raised by a mother who is hooked on pills, and spends her days at school being bullied by a pregnant cheerleader. There’s not much to look forward to when she wakes up each morning.

Amy finds herself in a whole new world – literally – when her single-wide is swept up in a tornado

Taneika
Jan 01, 2015 Taneika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: so-much-fun
This turned out to be super fun! I found the middle a bit, I dunno, boring? It was fast paced enough but just didn't hold my attention, but the second half of the book was awesome!
Full review to come
Becki
Holy fucking amazeballs I did not expect this too be so good.

Let me be honest. I hate The Wizard of Oz. HATE IT!!!. Hated it so much I never read the book, wanted to gouge out my eyes while watching the movie and any rendition of it, I snuffed my nose at. I did read Wicked and I liked it. But just further cemented my hatred for Dorothy, and her gang, including the wizard.

In Dorothy Must Die, Oz is not the happy, magic filled place it used to be. Good witches are wicked and wicked witches are go
Mandy K
Apr 22, 2015 Mandy K rated it really liked it
Full Review
What if home was no longer good enough? What if Dorothy went back? What if she and all her companions became corrupted with power? I loved seeing these questions explored in this book. Going back to Oz and seeing how much everything has changed since the original story was fun. The Oz we once knew is no more, and instead of a happy place, the very magic of the land is being harvested for Dorothy's gain. The imaginite sort of post apocalyptic/dystopian sort of take of Oz was interestin
Juan Vorágine
Sep 07, 2016 Juan Vorágine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: septiembre-16
4,5

Este libro nos presenta un Oz que, en apariencia, es similar al que conocemos gracias a las películas y libros, pero que está muy cambiado. Dorothy es ahora malvada y está sedienta de magia, por lo que todos están sometidos a su tiranía. Amy, acabará en Oz de la misma forma que lo hiciera Dorothy años atrás, y todos ven en ella a la persona adecuada para derrocar a Dorothy y devolver a Oz todo el esplendor perdido.
Intriga, grandes personajes, una ambientación exquisita y un libro donde nada e
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Short review:

Huhhh. Mixed feelings about this one.

I liked the gritty, post-apocalyptic Oz that Danielle Paige has created. I also appreciated how dark the book was: Dorothy and her friends are truly terrifying, and there were parts of the book that literally made me gag because they were so twisted. And Paige takes an interesting spin on the story, by making all the "Good" characters evil and the "Wicked" characters good (although I suppose Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the W
Mitch
Apr 04, 2014 Mitch rated it it was ok
I don't know what's worse about Dorothy Must Die - the fact L. Frank Baum must be rolling in his grave right about now, or the fact a book about killing freakin Dorothy literally put me to sleep.
Rowan
Nov 16, 2014 Rowan rated it did not like it
Review also posted on Rowan Reads and Raves!

I’m going to keep this very spoiler free but I just have to say, it’s books like this that piss me off. Books where the summary or the back of the book itself totally mislead you. I picked this book up, read the back of it which is the same thing as above, and went, “Alright, cool. So Amy is going to have to do kind of this road of trials thing and defeat each of these bad guys, collect their important bits, growing stronger every time, only to face Do
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Sep 25, 2013 Jaime (Two Chicks on Books) rated it it was amazing
OMG!!!! I. Loved. This! Now I'm dying for book 2. It reminded me a little of the SyFy series Tin Man mixed with Wicked and the new Oz movie. And it was dark and demented and I loved it! Wish there was a bit more romance though. Hopefully in book 2!
  • Sekret (Sekret, #1)
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • (Don't You) Forget About Me
  • The World Rose
  • The Vanishing Season
  • The Nightmare Dilemma (The Arkwell Academy, #2)
  • Wild
  • Second Star
  • Burn Bright (Dark Star, #2)
  • Strange Sweet Song
  • Her Dark Curiosity (The Madman's Daughter, #2)
  • Kiss Kill Vanish
  • The Princess in the Opal Mask (The Opal Mask, #1)
  • Dear Killer
  • In the Shadows
  • Salt & Storm (Salt & Storm, #1)
  • Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1)
  • Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings, #4)
Danielle lives in NY. Before turning to YA, she worked in television & was nominated for several Daytime Emmy's. Dorothy Must Die is her first novel.
More about Danielle Paige...

Dorothy Must Die (4 books)
  • The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die, #2)
  • Yellow Brick War (Dorothy Must Die, #3)
  • The End of Oz (Dorothy Must Die, #4)

“I didn’t know what was worse: to have your shot and screw it up, or to never have had a shot in the first place.” 166 likes
“Sometimes only pain can heal.” 115 likes