Start by marking “When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1)” as Want to Read:
When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1)

When the Duke Was Wicked

(Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  5,344 Ratings  ·  532 Reviews
They are England’s most eligible bachelors, with the most scandalous reputations. But for the right woman, even an unrepentant rogue may mend his ways…

Lady Grace Mabry’s ample inheritance has made it impossible for her to tell whether a suitor is in love with her—or enamored of her riches. Who better to distinguish beau from blackguard than her notorious childhood friend,
Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published February 25th 2014 by Avon HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about When the Duke Was Wicked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Duke Was Wicked

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 3.5

So maybe I cried a little bit. I swear to god it's not THAT type of tear-jerker book, but one paragraph just hit me hard. Before I knew it, my nose was stinging, my eyes were watering, and to my absolute horror, I felt a single tear slipping down my cheeks. DAMMIT.

There was absolutely nothing vexing about this book. It was thoroughly pleasant, thoroughly comforting, and completely enjoyable. It is the equivalent of a warm scarf on a rainy day.

The main character is a sweet, rati
Mo
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely read. I love the heroine. So brave and strong. The hero - typical tortured man.
Part of the subject matter was one I had not read in an Historical before and I loved it. Very relevant and close to my heart.

"Lady Luck isn't with you tonight."

Beware, Beware, Beware ...

He wanted her. Stretched out on the green grass among the wildflowers.

"Now you know why it is so important that he love me, for me"

A very enjoyable read.

Ginger
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I didn't really connect with the main characters, so the the romance wasn't all that great. They did get a bit better around 60% in the book. The writing was good but I'll likely forget about this book and characters by next week. I'm glad I read books #3 and #4 before this book because I don't know if I would have continued with the series.
Pepa
Me ha gustado, pero no me parece de los mejores de esta autora.
Es una historia bonita y sencilla, muy previsible. La superación personal de dos personas y la totalmente opuesta manera de superar una desgracia. el mensaje me ha encantado
el problema es que creo que Lovington sale demasiado indemne de la situación. Durante toda la novela En mi opinión, se pasa mucho con la protagonista que pobre lo aguanta todo con una paciencia infinita. Y en general resulta una trama muy lineal.
Pese a todo, la au
Mallory

This was not at all what I've come to expect from Lorraine Heath. I didn't really connect with the main characters, so the the romance wasn't all that spectacular. The hero was a bit of an ass. He had his reasons, and he truly cared for Grace, but I just wasn't all that convinced of his ultimate feelings. Plus, there were some parts in the first half of the book that kind of turned me off.
Marilena   ⚓
*2,5*

Συμπαθητική η ιστορία,αλλά χωρίς συναίσθημα..
Η συγγραφέας τα έγραφε απλά για να τα γράψει..
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
This book contains all the best and worst elements of Heath’s writing.

Best: A very interesting central premise around which the story pivots. (view spoiler)

Worst: A somewhat insipid heroine who is entirely focused on marriage and a hero who is a rake.

Best: Strong characterisation.
Holly
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
The author's choice to make the hero's lastname be Lovingdon was REALLY bad, considering the word 'love' is mentioned approximately a bajillion times in this book. Having love be in his name too puts it into solidly obnoxious territory.

Lovingdon is a widower who spends the entire book thinking about Grace and how he cannot love her because of his deceased wife who he doesn't think about at all. We don't even get one fleshed out memory of her out of him in this entire thing. Meanwhile Grace is s
Misfit
"He won't marry again, Grace. Something inside him broke with the death of Juliette and Margaret. You can't put him back together, sweetheart, not the way he was."

Oh sniff, this was good.

Lady Grace Mabry is on the marriage market, but she's set on finding a man who truly loves her (there's more to it than just the usual young miss stamping her feet and demanding twu wuv, but I can't give that away). She's got plenty of suitors eyeing her ample dowry, but how does she know which man will love he
Shari Kay
3.25 ✭

My first Lorraine Heath book....maybe. I'm old as dirt and I can't imagine that I didn't read at least one of her popular western romances back in the day. I liked WtDwW and would have probably liked it more if I'd read it all those years ago. I'm pickier now.

Little things bother me more than they used to when it comes to my present day romances. I tend to avoid the 'in-love-with-the-dead-ex' trope because it conflicts me. I don't want the h to be second best, but I also wouldn't respect
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
THE SCOUNDRELS OF ST. JAMES remains my favourite Lorraine Heath series and I have been looking forward to reading the stories of their offspring in SCANDALOUS GENTLEMEN OF ST. JAMES . The protagonists in the first book are Henry, Duke of Lovingdon, Olivia’s son from BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND DESIRE and Lady Grace Mabry, Frannie and Sterling’s daughter from SURRENDER TO THE DEVIL .

I loved this book! Lorraine Heath weaves such a beautiful, deeply emotional and moving love story.

Lovingdon -

Loving
This was a buddy read with my buddy, Nenia, and here's her review (or it will be once she's finished reading and writes it).

Read for the URR 2017 New Year's Reading Challenge prompt 'Victorian Romance'

Big spoilers under the tags, don't click unless you already know or don't care.

5/11 - I really appreciated the way Heath wrote Grace's character. The way Grace dealt with (view spoiler) and Lovingdon's dissolute lifestyle were really interesting. She didn't curse h
Lover of Romance
Grace has been in love with Lovingdon for years. Grace knows that she will need to marry soon, even though her parents aren't forcing her to choose. They want her to find true love, the same love they have for each other. So Grace goes to Lovingdon for his help. Grace is worried than any suitor she may have will only be after her dowry, and will change his tune once they are married. So she asks for his help in figuring out which man is playing her and which one is genuine in his affection for h ...more
*MariaA*
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was very excited to start this new series by Lorraine Heath, since, Grace Mabry (our heroine) was daughter of Frannie Darling & Sterling Mabry (Duke of Greystone)from book 3 of "Scoundrels of St. James"series AND Duke of Lovingdon (our not-so-wicked hero),is the son of Duchess of Lovingdon & stepson of Jack Dodger from book 2 of that series.

That was a wonderful series with amazing aforementioned characters, but somehow this book did not live up to what I had expected from a Lorraine He
Vera Neves (Sinfonia dos Livros)
4.5****

Que livro tão bom *__*

Mais uma estreia minha no que diz respeito a autoras. E que bela estreia!!
Quem me conhece sabe que adoro romances de época, ainda mais quando as personagens são cheias de carisma, carácter e personalidade. Toda a gente sabe que naquela altura era difícil ser-se mulher, mais difícil ainda para as mulheres que tinham dentro de si uma energia e vivacidade enormes, prestes a rebentar. Era etiqueta para isto, etiqueta para aqui e um sem fim de regras que em nada ajudava
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read: March 2014
Ok, this was great. It is a marvellous story of love and second chances and everyone should read it.

2nd read: September 2014
Buddy read with Jo
I loved it even more!!!

3rd read: October 2018
I think this is my favorite book by Ms. Heath.
Sh3llraiser (grumpybookgrrrl)
$1.99 on US Amazon: 2 August 2016

Ha, I just noticed this author is part of the mother/son writing duo J.A. London. I just DNF'd one of their books today (Darkness Before Dawn)! I'm still curious about this book, though. The blurb is kind of intriguing. .. I'm willing to give her another chance.
Nani
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un sí pero no.

Sí, porque esta mujer escribe magistralmente, y te mete de lleno en la historia.

No, porque ha faltado cosas, acciones. No sé, él no me ha terminado de convencer. Salvo por el epílogo.

He echado en falta la presencia de algunos personajes, que para mí, deberían de haber aparecido más.

Pero en general, me ha gustado.
Becca
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
And Heath does it again! Here is another book that I read practically in one sitting. I liked getting to read about the children of the characters from the Scoundrels of St. James and many of them made a lovely appearance here. This story was about grief, healing, and inner strength. Grace Mabry reminded me a lot of Catherine from In Bed with the Devil with her courage, fire, and elegance, and Henry Lovingdon reminded me of the Duke of Greystone with his arrogance, stubbornness, and inner pain. ...more
Joana V.
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meus
Review completa em: https://pepitamagica.blogspot.pt/2016...

Full review: https://pepitamagica.blogspot.pt/2016...

(...)
É um romance histórico, sim, e tem temas a que já estamos habituados (e que até esperamos que aconteçam), mas ao mesmo tempo traz à luz temas ligados à medicina que são muito raros neste tipo de livros.

Lady Grace Mabry é, à falta de melhor palavra, amorosa. Uma mulher forte e sensível, curiosa, teimosa e desejosa de encontrar alguém que a aceite por completo, com todas as imperf
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
4.5 The Most Awesome Historical Heroine Ever Stars

Lady Grace Mabry has a problem. Her dowry is too large. Her parents gave it to her out of love but it seems to have attracted every money-grabbing shark in the waters of upper society. How is she to separate the ones that want her from the ones that want her for her inheritance?

Enter the Duke of Lovington. Once a firm believer of virtue and proper behaviour but now well-known for his less than exemplary way of life. After his wive's and daughter
Beanbag Love
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is more like a 3.75 for me. I love that we're seeing the progeny of the original Scoundrels of St. James, so I'm committed to the series. What was disappointing was that we didn't see much of the Scoundrels themselves. Now, I know that might have been a conscious choice for Heath in order to keep those wonderful characters from over-shadowing their offspring, but I did think there were opportunities for at least a scene for each of the leads with their "scoundrel" parent. They all just all ...more
Caz
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so 4.5 stars.

This is the first in a new series by this author, in which the protagonists are the offspring of the characters in her Scoundrels of St. James series. I admit that I haven’t (yet) read any of those books, but I certainly plan to on the strength of this one.

I was engrossed by When the Duke Was Wicked right from the first page. For one thing, I rather like the trope of long-standing friends who fall for each other, and for another, the central relationship
Sombra
Me ha sido muy difícil calificar este libro, más que nada por el personaje principal, que ha sido un “me gusta, pero a la vez hay algo que le falla”.

La tramas en las que los protagonistas son amigos de la infancia me suelen gustar porque veo más creíble que él pueda estar atraído por la protagonista rápidamente, más que si son dos meros desconocidos. Mi problema con esta historia ha sido la actitud de Lovingdon durante toda la historia.

Si analizo el carácter de Lovingdon, la verdad es que la au
Zoe
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book started out alright but quickly descended into mediocrity.

The heroine Grace is so transparent that I cringed to read about her "innocent questions" about love and lust. I mean anyone could see that Grace was using her quest for love in marriage as an excuse to get close to Lovingdon. Only Grace herself thought she was fooling anybody. For this alone, I lost respect for her.

In the story it was mentioned repeatedly that Grace had "imperfections", which appeared to be some kind of termin
Isa Lavinia

actual rating: 2.5

The story itself was absolutely fine, as was the writing, but I never felt any chemistry between Grace and Henry - which is a pity because I had high hopes after having read about them in Falling Into Bed with a Duke.

I knew it was hopeless, but I thought Grace would be better off really moving on from her childhood crush on Henry, plus I found it more than a little creepy how much older he was, and how they knew each other when she was a little girl.

Besides, I really dislike
Bubu
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: hr, 3-stars
I enjoyed this book. Not only did it have one of my favourite tropes in the romance genre, 'I've loved you for years', but it also dealt with very real tragic events, such as loss and illness, without becoming too angsty.

I'll be honest, I was a little irritated with Grace at the beginning. Too brash, too forward and feisty for my liking. That changed when we find out the real reason for her behaviour. My heart broke a little and I could completely understand her motivations. In a society that em
sraxe
I liked Grace, but Lovingdon not so much. He seemed okay for the most part but I didn't like those "lessons" (like the one in the carriage about flowery speech) didn't help in making me like him. I was also turned off by the multiple scenes we got of him with other women. Yes, I know he's promiscuous, but seeing those scenes just took me out of the book and ended up ruining any momentum I felt for or between the couple. I could've done without them.

I was also disappointed that we didn't see him
Bronwen Evans
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this story! The characters were real, the situation was real, and the love was real. I see some comments about the hero being with other women through the story. I think given his situation it's rather believable. He fought so hard against finding love again for good reasons. Great job, Ms Heath.
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • The Wicked Wallflower (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #1)
  • Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • Summer Is for Lovers (Second Sons, #2)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London (The London Trilogy #1)
  • The Duke Diaries (Royal Entourage, #3)
  • Dear Maggie
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days (An American Heiress in London, #2)
  • Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • Duke of My Heart (Season for Scandal, #1)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • The Duchess Hunt (House of Trent, #1)
  • The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® durin

Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James (4 books)
  • Once More, My Darling Rogue  (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James #2)
  • The Duke and the Lady in Red (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #3)
  • An Affair with a Notorious Heiress (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #4)
“Gloating with witnesses is so much more enjoyable.” 3 likes
“One did not complain about having in abundance that which others wished desperately to obtain.” 2 likes