Start by marking “Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1)” as Want to Read:
Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1)

Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  7,168 ratings  ·  927 reviews
In the first in Tessa Dare's captivating Castles Ever After series, a mysterious fortress is the setting for an unlikely love . . .

As the daughter of a famed author, Isolde Ophelia Goodnight grew up on tales of brave knights and fair maidens. She never doubted romance would be in her future, too. The storybooks offered endless possibilities.

And as she grew older, Izzy cros
Mass Market Paperback, 370 pages
Published January 28th 2014 by Avon

Romancing the Duke by Tessa DareThree Weeks With Lady X by Eloisa JamesVixen in Velvet by Loretta ChaseWhen the Rogue Returns by Sabrina JeffriesRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie Alleman
2014 Historical Romance (January - June)
1st out of 315 books — 660 voters
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
172nd out of 2,631 books — 15,772 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
...and Khanh's heart grew three sizes that day.

This book makes me smile. It left me with a goofy grin and eyes misted over with stupid unshed tears. It makes me want to believe in starlit kisses, in moonlit romance. It makes me want my own fairy tale.

Goddamn it. This book was just too fucking cute.

Yes, I realize that the cursing is completely uncalled for!! Let me curse!! I need an element of foulness in order to retain the vestiges of my usual anger and bitterness. This book has left me a silly
Jill

"Release the ermine!"

description

Isolde (Izzy) Ophelia Goodnight. Motherless. Fatherless. Homeless. Penniless. Friendless. Plain, twenty-six year-old Izzy, who has never been kissed let alone courted, inherits Gostley Castle. With her pet ermine and little else, she travels to Northumberland to seize inherit the castle.

When she arrives she's surprised to find Ransom, Duke of Rothbury (and former owner) still in residence. Seven months ago, thirty year-old Ransom was injured in the face in a duel and has bee
Paula

Romancing the Duke is the first installment in Tessa Dare’s newest historical romance series and… WOW! Just WOW! This is a spectacular start to another brilliant series. In my eyes, Tessa Dare can do no wrong. I’ve been enchanted by Dare’s unique, captivating writing style for some time now and she has become my go-to author for super sexy and charming historical romances.

Isolde “Izzy” Ophelia Goodnight is a twenty-six year old spinster who has never been kissed, thinks she’s an ugly duckling,
UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick

5 "Bright, brilliant, life amid the ruins" stars!

There are just so many things I love about this story! There were kisses that made me smile, touches that made me tremble, starry nights that gave me goosebumps, and confessions that made me want to weep! From the first page to the last, I was swept up into this delightful, romantic, sexy story, and "Doubt not, my lady, I shall return!" for more of the Castles Ever After series!!

A copy of this story was provided by Avon Books and in return I ga
Shawna
Jan 28, 2015 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: historical-romance, author-tessa-dare, rt-book-reviews-top-pick, historical-romance-regency, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, heroine-destitute-poor, heroine-plain-jane-uglyducklingswan, hero-duke-heir-to-dukedom, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-blind-eyesight-impaired, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-beholder, fairytaleesque-bb-cinderella-theme, hh-famous-celebrity, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, best-snarkasm-humor, animals-matter, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-alpha, best-fave-reads-of-2014, hero-authentic-uber-rake, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, hero-cad-rake-rogue-scoundrel, hero-brooding, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, hero-black-sheep, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, hero-reformed-rake-player, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hh-physical-mental-disability-ill, hh-author-writer-quill-mighty-sword, hh-smart-intellectual-brainy-geek, hh-phobia-disorder, hh-post-traumatic-stress-disorder, i-read-library, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, humor-fall-off-the-couch-funny-lol, sizable-packages, steam-3-hot, 2014-reads, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, favorites, feel-good-read-pick-me-upper, heartwarming, hero-asshat-award-hall-of-shame, hero-good-groveling-eating-crow, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, heroine-bluestocking-unconventional, heroine-commoner-lower-class, heroine-good-girl-nice, heroine-good-girl-tempted-gone-wild, heroine-i-adore, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, love-letters-diary-correspondence, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, 5-stars-plus, best-top-favorites, a-all-time-favorite-heroine, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, hh-banter-bicker-sparring-foreplay, hero-broody-grumpy-serious-moody, humor-romantic-comedy, favorite-romance-series
5+ stars – Historical Romance

One of the best, wittiest historical romances I’ve read in quite a while. I loved it from start to finish! 5 utterly enjoyable, charming stars!
KatLynne
4.5 Magnificent Stars!

photo dreams_zpsf2e56169.jpg

Tessa Dare has once again fed my addiction and provided an afternoon of pure delight with her first installment in the Castles Ever After series. The story centers on Isolde (Izzy) Ophelia Goodnight who grew up dreaming of knights, castles and damsels in distress. She believed in fairytales and the kind of love that leaves one swooning…..

photo 21ba9659-b823-4fab-aaa8-05544d13cc66_zps1cc605c9.jpg

However, the lessons learned from the harsh realities of life have dashed those childish dreams. Having neither friend nor family, her f
Mandi Schreiner
Hero - blind, scarred, recluse.

Heroine - more plain, adorable, so confident.

They meet at a ruined castle. There is adorableness. There is sexiness. There is more adorableness. There is much more dirtiness ;)

Sweet, funny, romantic, sexy.

A truly fabulous romance book.
Jess
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: A

“You come down here and torment me at the crack of every dawn. Now you’re making me tea. And flicking fluff. Is this some kind of coddling? I don’t want any coddling.”

“It’s not coddling. It’s not meant to be tormenting, either. I just…enjoy greeting you in the morning.”

“That’s impossible.”

Ransom would have believed just about any other excuse. But she couldn’t expect him to credit that she stole down here in the misty, early dawn for the
Mary Chen *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
Review to come. What can I say? This might just be my top book of 2014, even with all those other good titles soon to arrive.
Mo

And as she grew older, Izzy crossed them off. One by one by one.

Ugly duckling turned swan?
Abducted by handsome highwayman?
Rescued from drudgery by charming prince?

I found it hard to get into this one. Not sure why. A new author for me. Had got get used to the writing style
Robin (Bridge Four)
I absolutely adore books about the slightly quirky unconventionally pretty girl who becomes the object of affection for a scandalous man. I don’t care how many times I read it, there is always something about it that calls to me.

Izzy has been immortalized in stories as a child think Fred Savage in The Princess Bride. Her father wrote a selection of stories that have a huge active following the historical fiction equivalent of LARPing and Izzy remains a child to all of them even if she is twenty-
Mei
This is such a funny, fanny book!

I loved the main characters: Izzy and Ransom! Both of them were excellent in their own way!

Izzy, with her disillusions, with her very derogatory view of herself. But with her wit and her smarness she's very able to face everything life throws at her.

“Why must this be so mortifying? Oh, that's right. Because its my life.”

She know what she wants: her castle and she's not afraid to go against a very angry duke. She challenges him at every turn, until he's forced
Alienor ☠ is stuck on the Jellicoe Road ☠

You know I'm not an historical romance girl. And yet, Color me surprised : That was all kind of adorable and I fell in love with this story.

Sometimes we love characters because they aren't like us - see Penryn for example : did I need to remind you how much I wouldn't survive in the world after? Nope, I don't think so - and other times, we come across some personality traits which remind us so much of ourselves that we can't help but relate to the character. That's what happened to
Tessa Dare
Jan 27, 2014 Tessa Dare added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote-this
Release day is almost here!! 1/28/2014

Did you know?

Avon posted a 50-page preview of the book. Get started reading here.

Iliada
Tessa Dare can write funny, quirky historical romances like no other. We all know that she uses anachronisms, which, personally, I don't like though I know it's not an opinion most readers share with me. However, her books are so good that I usually manage to overlook said anachronisms in most of them. Here, I'm not so sure I can.

There was a uniqueness and a darkness in this story that I loved and I was impressed at the beginning. Until I hit the halfmark, I thought this was going to b
Heidi Hart
Tessa Dare is one of my favorite authors, but I'm not sure what to make of this first book in her new Castles Ever After series. I couldn't tell while reading it if Dare meant for this to be a gothic romance. It certainly has gothic elements -- penniless ingenue in desperate straits at the mercy of bitter, scarred, misanthropic (but tall, dark, and handsome) man, set in a creepy, crumbling, isolated old castle that might well be haunted -- but if Dare was aiming for gothic, she missed her mark. ...more
Ya~~
If you are a fan of Tessa Dare, you should definitely go for this book without reading any reviews. Those gifs/pics will spoil your fun. I only read the blurb so the humor in the storyline totally surprised me. And yes, I hug my reading device in the end;)

#stand-alone #fun and sweet #hot #vulnerable hero # A good pick when you are in a mood for a fun HR.
Dina
Trust Ms. Dare to gift me with my first 5-star read of the year. Woohoo! 2014 will no longer be the dreaded year with no winners in Romancelandia.
Laura the Highland Hussy
read this review on Got Fiction? book blog

Oh Tessa Dare, how do I love thee? Okay, well I do think you’re pretty sweet, but I meant to say your books ;) This is Ms. Dare’s latest, and it does not disappoint.

Romancing the Duke was fun and witty and so delightful. Izzy is a hopeless romantic, and she’s pretty much down to her last dollar, so to speak. She’s just received word of an inheritance, though, and heads off to meet the solicitor.

Who she meets, however is Ransom, Duke of Rothbury. Scarred
Lisa
After Izzy's father suddenly passes away, she is left with nothing until a solicitor arrives telling her she has inherited a castle. Having grown up dreaming of happily-ever-afters Izzy arrives at her new castle with dreams....and meets the owner of the castle, Ransom, the Duke of Rothbury who claims he did not authorize selling his home. Ransom has his reasons for hiding out in the run down castle and he won't let anyone change that...not even someone as enchanting as Izzy.

Tessa Dare has become
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
One day you do find a book you can't put down and you don't get sleep and you realize you don't need sleep. Sleep is trivial. Tessa Dare makes life happen. Makes it matter. Makes everything worth it. Tessa Dare is life. Hunger to read the next prequel or sequel. To re-read the one you love. To try again.
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
I didn’t think anything could possibly match Tessa Dare’s fabulous Spindle Cove series but her new series, Castles Ever After, promises to be just as wonderful. The first book, ROMANCING THE DUKE is enchanting, romantic, sexy and funny and I was totally captivated from the first page to the last!

I love Tessa Dare’s writing… so rich in warmth, emotion, and humour. She brings each scene to life with such vivid imagery. This is one of my favourite descriptions:

It started to rain. Fat, heavy drops o
Share❤
4 Witty & Delightful Stars

Another delightful read by Tessa Dare. Who's becoming one of my favorite HR authors. This was different from other HRs in that it had more of a magical/fairytale feel to it. I'm a sucker for fairytales so I loved this. Izzy Goodnight, believed in fairytales just like other girls, but at 26 she realized her fairytale would never happen. She was alone and penniless, until by a stroke of fate she inherits a run down castle.

Ransom, the Duke of Rothbury still resides in
Danielle (Love at First Page)
Romancing the Duke is a fairy tale, but maybe not one we're used to. This makes it all the more charming. It's complete with a ruined castle, a damsel who's not doing much distressing, and a beast of a duke who's all gooey on the inside.

And as she grew older, Izzy crossed them off. One
Grace Cieleen
A Tessa is a Tessa and she will always be my absolute favorite HR author! Currently completing a BR with Aengell, Riddhi, Anna, Maria and Iliada. Review to follow!

-EDIT at 02/03-

Oh yes, this is the book that I have been waiting for since I finished Any duchess will do last year with my friends. Ever since I started Tessa's - Spindle Cove series - I knew then and there that Tessa Dare is my kind of auto-buy-against-oll-odds kind of author. That also goes without saying that she is now my all tim
Amy

Featured for What-To-Read Wednesday http://fictionvixen.com/read-wednesda...

Glorious. Just Glorious.

That was my first thought after finishing this story.

Isolde Ophelia Goodnight has lived two personalities throughout her life. The storybook Izzy Goodnight that filled her father’s pages of his fictional fairy tales known as The Goodnight Tales and the real Izzy who faces a penniless, homeless, friendless and now fatherless fate after the recent death of her Papa. Izzy may not be considered the “b
Vashti
Homeless,penniless,motherless,and fatherless.This is our heroine,Isolde Goodnight.
Tall,dark ,handsome,scarred,and visually impaired,this is our Duke,Ransome.
This is the first book in the "Castles Ever After" series by Tessa Dare.What a treat this book turned out to be.There were some lol funny moments that had me in stitches.This was a light HR that I throughly enjoyed.This author has been a long time favorite and this book did not disappoint.
I enjoyed the premise that the heroine was England's
Nadia
I'm sorry, I wish I could write a proper review, but I'm still melted in a pile of goo.

You know what's great? This book. You know what's funny and a bit silly, but still really cute, you'll end up utterly charmed? This book. You know what's got a kickass heroine, a female lead very smart and strong, able to stand up for herself, but still a bit insecure, just so she doesn't seem too perfect? This book. You know what's got a brooding hero who's trying really hard to be bad and wicked, but really
⊱ Irena ⊰
It is silly.
It is exaggerated.
It is beyond unbelievable.
The characters act as if they are from our time.

And it is ridiculously entertaining.

Izzy Goodnight's father was a successful author and after he died, everything went to her horrible cousin. After crossing out every single fairytale expectation, she ends up in a decrepit castle 'with nothing more to her name than a weasel, a letter, and her last shred of hope.' There she realizes that there are all kinds of fairytales.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Doubt not, my lady. I shall return. Doubt not my strength. No storm-churned seas, no windblown sands. Nor mountain tall could bar me from you. Doubt not my heart. Time may pile into months and years. It cannot sway the eternal. Doubt not my love. If men would seek to part us, death itself would be a veil too thin. For lo, though I wander the earth for my king, you remain -now and ever- queen of my heart.

The first book in the Castles Ever After series by Tessa Dare. Isolde Ophelia Goodnight aka I
  • The Luckiest Lady in London
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)
  • Three Weeks With Lady X (Desperate Duchesses by the Numbers, #1; Desperate Duchesses, #7))
  • The Captive (Captive Hearts, #1)
Note: Tessa has a Goodreads group! All readers welcome.

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twelve historical romance novels and four novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA award and multiple RT Book Reviews Reviewer’s Choice Awards. Booklist magazine named her one of the “new stars of historical roma
More about Tessa Dare...

Castles Ever After (3 books)
  • Say Yes to the Marquess (Castles Ever After, #2)
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2) A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1) One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1) Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4) A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)

“For God’s sake. Don’t do that.”

“Don’t do what?”

“Smile.”

“How do you know I’m smiling?”

“I can hear it. Hell, I can feel it. It’s all warm and sweet and . . .” He scowled. “Bah.”
34 likes
“And she was well-enough acquainted with loneliness to understand that the worst part wasn't having nobody caring for you - it was having nobody to care for.” 21 likes