Start by marking “A Girl and Her Greens” as Want to Read:
A Girl and Her Greens

A Girl and Her Greens

From the chef, restaurant owner, and author of the critically lauded A Girl and Her Pig comes a beautiful, full-color cookbook that offers tantalizing seasonal recipes for a wide variety of vegetables, from summer standbys such as zucchini to earthy novelties like sunchokes.

A Girl and Her Greens reflects the lighter side of the renowned chef whose name is nearly synonymous
Published March 17th 2015 by Ecco

To ask other readers questions about A Girl and Her Greens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl and Her Greens

Start your review of A Girl and Her Greens
Tuck
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ill, wine-and-food
if you like little vignettes with your recipes, bloomflied is a pretty good story teller. she has some really creative and unique ideas about food, veggies mostly in this particular collection, so like 'roasted and raw fennel salad with blood orange and bottarga' [bottarga di muggine = salted mullet roe] or eggs in piperade [piperade is the basque, or a basque basic ubiquitous sauce of tomato onion pepper cooked down in olive oil] with peppers, garlic, basil, some dried pequin chile

book is group
Cherie
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Aja
Lots of great fresh recipes, from the perspective of a super veggie-friendly chef (who does uses meat though). I loved the design of the book, really pretty pages, but for me, a lot of the recipes weren't necessarily new recommendations. (I read too many cookbooks.) But a pretty book for a newbie or even not-so-newbie cook.
First Second Books
There were lots of excellent vegetables in this book, which is a thing I enjoy! And the watercolor illustrations were also charming.
Diana
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, cookbook
I've tried two recipes and they're both keepers! I got 2 bunches each of Tuscan Kale and Hukurei turnips from our CSA farm so I made Kale polenta and roasted whole Tokyo turnips. They were both simple yet delicious recipes.
Penny Ramirez
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: skimmed, cooking
I read the intro, and skimmed the recipes. Some looked interesting, but not enough for me to invest in the book. Seemed a bit more bossy than I like in a cookbook.
Ariadna73
I absolutely loved this beautiful, elegant book. What caught my eye in the first place was the beauty of the girl in the cover: a real girl, no movie star or celebrity. Just a girl who loves her green food and who is willing to show you what she does with all the marvellous things that the soil gives to her as a gift.

This is one of my favorite pictures of the book, where she poses while eating a gigantic, humongout green sandwich. That is good eating, not all those dieting books that show you m
Genine Franklin-Clark
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I love cooking and, although I am not a vegetarian I love veggies, but this book just didn't do much for me. There are 3 recipes which I will use. Not much for an entire cookbook. Not bad, just not to my taste. As my Dad used to say "Everyone to his own goat!" (I didn't get it until I took French.)
Virginia
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
A beautiful book with great photos of almost all the recipes. But something about the font makes it difficult to easily read the recipes. There really are no really new ideas no recipe that popped out. The only thing to stick out was using lardo for hasselback potatoes which I’m really not sure about.
Robin Case
Bought this book for the potato recipes and I'm glad I did. Some recipes require some what for me is hard to find ingredients, but there are enough different recipes to make up for this. Maybe some day I will find these ingredients. But I will enjoy the rest in the meantime.
Sara
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The only cookbook I've read cover-to-cover on the first day. Compelling. Her love of each ingredient is inspiring, and the recipes lift basic garden output into truly delicious food.
Eh?Eh!
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Beautiful pictures of beautiful food, but some her directions were kind of incomplete. Also, her oven must be much weaker than mine because things cooked way faster than the times she listed.
Emelie
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the illustrations. There are a few recipes I'd like to make.
Janet (mommy.the.reader)
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Not the average cookbook and one I'd like to own. I usually borrow cookbooks from the library and keep copies of just the recipes I like. This one belongs in my kitchen. I appreciate that the vegetables are the stars of all the recipes, while not excluding some meat. (One of the sections is titled "a little beast goes a long way.") And the illustrations!!! I love the adorable, whimsical art, drawn by Sun Young Park. I went back through every page to make sure I saw every illustration. 💜
Mairzi
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Love the joy and enthusiasm with which she presents her recipes but didn't make anything from it
Magdalena
Let me begin this review by saying how beautiful this book is. If you’re not keen on cooking, you could just put it on the coffee table, and gawk from time to time at the exquisite photos by award-winning photographer David Loftus, the sweet, clever cartoons by Sun Young Park, or just enjoy Bloomfield’s prose, which will take you to farmer’ markets, through the philosophy of simple pleasures and enjoying the cooking process for its own sake (the journey rather than the destination), insider know ...more
Kate Cronin
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
For a chef known for her love of animal proteins, (her previous cookbook was A Girl and Her Pig) she's been at the forefront of the "nose to tail" movement (e.g. use all parts of the animal if you're going to eat it at all), this was a great cookbook for making meals out of fresh veggies. It does, however, reflect her ability to find both lesser known veggies and some "exotic" spices & ingredients that would be hard for the average cook to find without ordering online or seeking out specialty ma ...more
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
April tries to do for greens what she did for meat. I love the biographical info and the stories behind the recipes - they are good, and definitely healthier than their meaty counterparts - but the veggies just aren't as exciting as meat.

Good pics, beautiful illustrations. A good gift for a serious fan of the author.
Karyn
This is a beautiful cookbook. I read it through as if it was a novel and enjoyed the stories she used to introduce each recipe. I don't think it's a cookbook I'd buy for my shelf at home, but I will check it out again from the library. The recipes look great, and there are a quite a few I'd like to try.
Emily Vislocky
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Just started this today. Was close to skipping the intro altogether and just diving in to the recipes, but I'm glad I didn't! The introduction, and the book so far, is delightfully written, with a sweet, thoughtful, original, comedic voice. More than I had bargained for. I hope the recipes are as lovely as Bloomfield's fun writing!
Mellie Antoinette
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Already cooking away! So far I've made fettuccine with asparagus and Parmiggiano Fonduta. (It was my first time trying asparagus - lovely emerald green and covered in cheese!) Delish! Mrs Bloomfield really embraces the love of vegetables aiming in all cases to showcase their simple glory (references to meat are mostly kept to an optional minimum)!

Nice book! Up next - Veggie Egg Drop Soup!
Cindy
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, library, non-fiction
Lots of creative uses for the garden's bounty in this book! She's not a vegetarian though - just focuses on the vegetables for this book. Includes info on pickling and other once common ways to eat, and all gorgeously photographed with additional illustrations that are so beautiful. Even if you don't cook, you will enjoy looking at this book!
Morgan
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
GIVE ME ALL THE VEGGIES, especially squished between two slices of thick white bread that's been slathered with salad cream and topped with an oozy soft-boiled egg (this is a legit recipe from the book ["salad sandwich"] and I bow down to Bloomfield for giving an official name/process to one of the most deliciously simple summer meals ever).
Maryalene
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm not a huge veggie fan, but this book almost makes me want to eat them more often. I tried the salt crusted potatoes tonight, and they turned out quite nice. I think this would be a great book to have on hand for making use of all the veggies that come with a CSA share.
Stacey Hatfield
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting cookbook of recipes that this author uses. They are some recipes that I would like to follow someday.

Like I said , I like to do some of these recepes. This book seems like it has a very interesting background.
Aja Marsh
there are a couple in here that are interesting (butternut squash pancakes, mmm) -- mostly i enjoyed skimming this book. i like that there are more vegetable-forward dishes coming out (plenty, etc.) by acclaimed chefs.
Nicole
Dec 21, 2015 rated it liked it
It was ok - plain recipes that covered many veggies and looked tasty but not worth purchasing and adding to my cookbook shelf.
Anna
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Meh, nothing new here
Ruth
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really great recipes. Nice photography.
Will definitely be adding this cookbook to the collection this year.
Claudia Majetich
I love to read through cookbooks to get ideas about what to cook. I don't often want to buy any, but I may just purchase this one. I found her ideas inspiring and memorable.
Amanda
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great recipes, if only I had more time in my kitchen!

• Forks Over Knives: Flavor!: Delicious, Whole-Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Cook Every Day
  • Everyday Dorie: The Way I Cook
  • The Nourished Kitchen: Farm-to-Table Recipes for the Traditional Foods Lifestyle
  • Country Music Broke My Brain: A Behind-the-Microphone Peek at Nashville's Famous and Fabulous Stars
  • The China Study Cookbook: Revised and Expanded Edition with Over 175 Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes
  • The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, and Long-term Health
  • Nothing Fancy: Unfussy Food for Having People Over
  • Nopalito
  • LudoBites: Recipes and Stories from the Pop-Up Restaurants of Ludo Lefebvre
  • Victuals: An Appalachian Journey, with Recipes
  • Small Victories: Recipes, Advice + Hundreds of Ideas for Home Cooking Triumphs (Best Simple Recipes, Simple Cookbook Ideas, Cooking Techniques Book)
  • The Home Cook: Recipes to Know by Heart: A Cookbook
  • BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts
  • Mr. Nobody
  • Where Cooking Begins: Uncomplicated Recipes to Make You a Great Cook
  • Sister Pie: The Recipes and Stories of a Big-Hearted Bakery in Detroit [a Baking Book]
  • Notes from a Young Black Chef
  • Appetites: A Cookbook
April Bloomfield has spent most of her life in the kitchen and had the pleasure of working with some of the most revolutionary chefs before taking on a kitchen of her own. A native of Birmingham, England, April began her culinary studies at Birmingham College. From there, she went on to hone her craft through cook positions in various kitchens throughout London and Northern Ireland, including Kens ...more

News & Interviews