Start by marking “Strangers” as Want to Read:
Strangers

Strangers

You wake up in the morning to discover that you have been sealed into your home. The doors are locked, the windows are barred. THERE'S NO WAY OUT.

A madman is playing a deadly game with you and your family. A game with no rules, only consequences. So what do you do? Do you run? Do you hide?

OR DO YOU DIE?
Published June 2013 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strangers

Start your review of Strangers
Paul Nelson
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
To unwittingly become a part of this deadly game, you must have secrets, things that can never be known, something that can destroy your life and there's only one chance for redemption, you must confess.

A family suffering the loss of a son, drift through life growing further apart by the day, come the anniversary they attempt some semblance of normality, a stab at family interaction, with a simple meal and some TV. It can't repair that which has crumbled over time but their tainted lives are ab
Char

Thanks to my friend and fellow Kindler, Bill, for the loan!

I read this book with my Shelfari group. We have read a few books by this author in the past and liked them. This one was no exception.

This was a brutal tale of the isolation of one family; a family that had many secrets to hide. It was a bit too far out to be completely believable, but that didn't bother me. It was extremely fast paced-so much so that I read the entire book in two days.

When I was done, I checked out some other reviews,
Bark
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 Stars

Things aren’t always what they seem.

A man returns home after a long day of work, hoping only to get through a painful anniversary by having a quiet dinner and watching a movie with his family.

But that doesn’t happen because a madman has other ideas . . .

After eating a surprisingly terrible meal from their usual take out place, dad, mom and their two teens all begin to feel sick and sleepy and head off to bed. When they awaken, a nightmare begins. And let me tell you, it does not let
Sherry Fundin
I didn’t realize I had this on my Kindle from an Amazon free day, when I read the second book, Stranger Still by Michaelbrent Collings. Any questions I had from the second book were answered here, but I feel both books could stand alone.

Horror of horrors, trapped in your house, no way out, a stranger dead set on playing a deadly game of cat and mouse. Who or will anyone survive?

The bogeyman…

The punisher…

Do you run? There’s nowhere to go.

Do you hide? There’s nowhere to hide.

Strangers is a psychol
Kimberly
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book has everything a horror/dark fiction fan could want in a novel! The intense, gut-renching suspense takes off right from the beginning. You might think that at some point it would let up while the author focuses his energies in different directions, but not so! Even while the plot progresses and some things begin to come to light, the mystery and tension continue to build.

How well do we really know anyone? What about those in our own family? How many "strangers" do we willingly let into
The Behrg
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
One of the most difficult things about writing in the horror genre is to simultaneously honor the books and stories and ideas that have come before, without ever retreading the same worn path. To at once utilize the tropes of the genre, without falling victim to them.

"Strangers," a nightmarish home-invasion novel, does just that.

Collings knows what you're expecting to happen, and plays against that expectation time and again. With an extremely inventive set-up -- an almost reversal of your "trad
Amber
A family tries to do something as a family but a madman has something else in store for them. Will they be able to survive his nightmare? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good survival horror story. If you enjoy these types of stories, be sure to check this book out wherever ebooks are sold.
Miriam
5 stars audio
4 weird strange frustrating suspenseful stars story!
Pamellia
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Strangers by Michaelbrent Collings Shelfari Horror Group
Began, unknown Completed, May 4, 2014

This book was a weekly read for a book club I read with. Almost did not read this one, but glad I did. Thanks to Matthew for lending me the kindle version of this book.

The book begin with a homicide group processing a terrible scene. There are many odd things about this scene, that we do not understand until the end of the book.

Apparently the bad guy in this book is looking for the perfect family. When
Linda Hart
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first horror story....and likely my last because the author, Michaelbrent Collings, is such a great suspense writer that I couldn't sleep until I finished it, and at its conclusion I had to employ all kinds of mind distractions to not dream about it. This is a gut wrenching, jarring, intense plot with believable twists and turns. I kept picturing actor James Spader (NBC's The Blacklist) as the stranger. I highly recommend this book to readers who love suspense filled thrillers.
AudioBookReviewer
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ABR's full Strangers audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

I knew when Michaelbrent Collings started the book with veteran police officers vomiting everywhere the book was going to be an experience. Michaelbrent has done what few authors have been able to do ---- he scared me half to death and kept me up most of the night thinking about my secrets and who I trust without a second thought.

This is about a family who has suffered a devastating loss of an older son and their mechanisms
Scott William Taylor
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing

I'm convinced that most people watch shows like The Jerry Springer Show and Hoarders so they can feel better about them selves. "Sometimes my house is a mess, but it's nothing like that one on Hoarders," we say. So the last thing I thought I'd question after reading Michaelbrent Collings's Strangers, is my skills as a father.

Seriously, that's what went through my mind. Collings is in the process of converting his large library of published works into an audiobook format. This is the second I've
Deb
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! What a rollercoaster ride this book was!! The suspense built up from the beginning. Then the creepiness set in. It increased until the very end! There were twists and surprises! Lots of action! I loved this book! Everybody needs to put this on their TBR! Thank you Michaelbrent Collings for the book!!
M.L. Roos
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For those of you with a fear of heights, have you ever stepped into an elevator only to realize it was completely glass on the inside and you could see all the way up to the top as you were traveling? The saliva evaporates and your breath gets caught in your throat, your stomach drops, your insides turn to liquid and your heart hammers inside your chest hard enough to break a rib. The intense fear of being inside that elevator, that slow moving elevator that is crawling to your destination as yo ...more
Kelly
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm still trying to work my head around the twists and turns of this book and it's been nearly 24 hours since I finished it. I almost don't even know where to begin with my dissection of the plot. Because -- holy smokes -- there's a WHOLE LOT that happens.

How about this -- It's incredibly, wonderfully creepy. We get blood and death and SECRETS that spill across the pages. We get a shadowy individual who is so tangled up in the Hughes' lives that they can't make a move without him knowing about i
Melissa
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Robert Ullrich
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-challenge
Excellent psychological thriller

I , for one, am glad Mr. Collings decided to revisit Strangers. What makes it so very good is the lack of the supernatural. Man, at his worst, is far more capable of horrific acts than any imaginary creature.
John
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overall - 4.5 stars
Story - 4.5 stars
Narration - 4 stars
Creep Factor - 4 stars

This story is relentless! It carries you to a plateau of suspense and doesn't let you relax until the end!
Karen Sinnett
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced page turner

Loved, loved, loved this book! Had trouble putting it down! Suspenseful and creepy, on the edge of my seat. Looking forward to reading more from Michaelbrent!
Stacey
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific!

A well respected upper class family living in a beautiful home in an upper class neighborhood wake up one morning finding themselves sealed in their home with no way out. They find all communications to the outside world completely cut off. And from that point, things really go downhill. This book has it all. The characters are well thought out. The story line is freaky and truly imaginative. The story is very suspenseful. Not only did it cause me to have nightmares, I even woke in the
Joe Hempel
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
There is a review on my site written by a contributor for one of Michaelbrent Collings books, called Crime Seen. The book seemed kind of interesting, but I never really gave it another thought. After listening to, and sometimes reading along with Strangers, I’m now questioning why I didn’t.

Strangers is visceral, there are no punches pulled, and it is most definitely NOT for the faint of heart. There are some tough subject matters to attend to and there are many things that might make one put thi
kay keller
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Real Thriller

Read this in one sitting. The creep factor in 10+. A family trapped in a house where secrets lurke.
Good plot with pacing that will leave the reader breathless.
I suggest you keep the lights on, make sure the doors are locked,and check the closets
Dan
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will keep you guessing

I started this book meaning to read a few pages a day. I ended this book in a three-hour sprint to the finish because every time I thought I had figured it out, I learned I was wrong. Get the book. You'll enjoy it. This was the first book I've read by Michaelbrent Collings; it won't be the last.
Brad
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Jami
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
A very intense thriller

If I wasn't already paranoid about who came into my house, I definitely would be after listening to this book.

Michaelbrent Collings writes a very believable family, one who suffered a terrible loss the year before. Jerry, the father, wants them to be together on the anniversary of his son's death for a dinner and movie night. But they don't make it past dinner before things go downhill. The family wakes up to find they are trapped in their home by a killer who seems to ha
Maryann Breedlove
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another knock out of the ball park for Michaelbrent Collings; master story teller.
This story will scare you sh--less. Wrap yourself in the blanket of images this authors words create.
Your in your own house with your own family but trapped.. what the h-ll is going on? You will feel yourself walk in the loafers of the father.. you will feel the terror of containment.. you will feel the hope of denial, the incredulity of betrayal and the gut wrenching dread of failure.
Spine Chilling Page Turning MU
Erin
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Jerry and Ann are an unhappy, wealthy couple - they've lost one of their three children, but have two others, Sheri and Drew.....and they are about to be tested (for their sins) beyond belief. A killer has, rather ingeniously trapped them in their own home and is ready to kill each of them. Can Jerry save his family? Do they deserve to be saved?

Well, that seems to be question the book is asking and I would answer with a resounding, "um, yeah," in that none of them have done anything for which th
Bill
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review for Audible edition

Strangers by Michaelbrent Collings is a very good thriller involving deep family secrets, a crazed killer with too much time on his hands and a termite tent. There are a lot of skeletons in this family’s closet and someone has found out about them. Now, they are trapped in a killer’s game and there is no escape and no hope. The only thing left is betrayal and lies. The game has started and it’s time to pay the piper.

The characters were well thought out and translated w
Suzanne Foster
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best!

I simply could not put this down, and when I really had to I couldn't wait to get back to it!
What a story! So glad the author returned to this story to make it bigger because it's one hell of a read! Very gripping, very intense and very dark. I loved every minute of it!!
Shadow Girl
Home Sweet Home

The thought of your safe space becoming your tomb is terrifying. On top of that, when you realize that all the these people who have shared your safe space are truly strangers... what's left? THAT is horrifying.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sam (Damienverse, #1)
  • The Odds
  • The Sleep Experiment
  • The Venue
  • House Beneath the Bridge (A horror novel)
  • The Ghosts of David Brook
  • The Numbing
Michaelbrent Collings is an internationally-bestselling novelist, multiple Bram Stoker Award nominee, produced screenwriter, and one of the top indie horror writers in the United States.

He hopes someday to develop superpowers, or, if that is out of the question, then at least to get a cool robot arm.

Michaelbrent has a wife and several kids, all of whom are much better looking than he is (though he