Start by marking “Tiger Shrimp Tango: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Tiger Shrimp Tango: A Novel

Tiger Shrimp Tango: A Novel (Serge Storms #17)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  772 ratings  ·  154 reviews
All just another day in Serge Storms's sun-splashed paradise!

Thanks to the growth of the Internet, America finds itself plagued by a noxious epidemic of ruthless scam artists. Where do they all come from? If you guessed 110 percent of them are spawned in Florida, you win the cigar. . . .

When a new digital scheme goes horribly awry— causing innocents to die and a young woma
Published January 28th 2014 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Tiger Shrimp Tango, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tiger Shrimp Tango

Fred Forbes
I admit it. I'm trapped. Tim Dorsey must be one of the hardest working guys in the book business and he lives just up the street in Tampa. I met him many years ago at a book signing when his first work appeared and with a signed first edition of a book I enjoyed, naturally I had to get the second in the same fashion all the way through this one. But I would not have remained in the cycle if I did not enjoy his work. Since I often cover a lot of Florida while working and have an appreciation for ...more
Chris Durkin
The Serge Storms series is not one where you want to just jump in with the latest release. The series must be read in order and from the beginning. This one seemed a little forced. Serge is up to his normal antics and righting what wrongs he perceives. This one is advertised as Serge getting political, but this is in no way a major plot line. Personally I hate the Mahoney character once he stopped hunting Serge and they became friends. Coleman remains a laughable idiot and Serge's sidekick.

What
Paul
Once again, Serge Storms and his intoxicated pal Coleman ride around Florida in a not-quite-vintage muscle car creatively extermination evildoers. In this case it is scam artists. There are no surprises in this book. Tim Dorsey writes these books on cruise control and what plot there is never changes from book to book.

But there is a lot to like in this series. Dorsey is a good writer and the book never bogs down. His commentary on current events and society, usually delivered by Serge, is witty
Elly Wendy
5* omg, this is hilarious!!! Crazy and silly.
Still reading ... I actually have to stop listening so I can recover my breath and go on with my chores or whatever. I have not laughed this hard at a novel since a friend and I started reading Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Also, the performance of this particular audiobook is absolutely one of the best. I'd probably enjoy reading it too, but these reader-performers are great.
It's full of scathing commentary on things in Florida, and Canada
Sam Reader
Okay, so the rundown is as follows: This is a good book. Good, but not great. It's hilarious, twisted, and a lot of fun to read. It moves quick, the dialogue is fast, and the descriptions are lavish. If you have a weekend free and want to try some Dorsey, this is a pretty good one to start with.

But those returning to the world of Serge Storms will find little here they didn't find elsewhere. Serge is still Serge, Mahoney is portrayed as little more than a joke at this point, and if you've r
Jennifer Lauren Collins
Honestly, I'd meant to try out Tim Dorsey for ages, so I was thrilled when the Goodreads First Readers program awarded me a copy of his latest book, and thought it would be the perfect chance to try him out. Unfortunately, I'm now just thrilled that I didn't spend money on this one...

In the beginning, I felt like I was getting whiplash every time I picked up this book...later on in the reading, I'm afraid I just felt a bit bored. The book was packed with interesting scenes and interesting charac
Joshua
Serge is a little less whacky, a lot of confused and dealing in a part of Florida history that is very esoteric in the latest entry in Tim Dorsey's ongoing saga. This novel has Serge working with Mahoney trying to track down some of Florida's finest con artists. Lunacy ensues, people die in bizarre manner - though most are not the "over the top" murders that Dorsey fans may be expecting - and new friendships are made.
Serge seems a little older, wiser, and not quite as off the rails as usual; Co
M
I won this copy in a Goodreads give away. It was a regular hardback edition, not an ARC.

First of all, I had never read this author before. I entered the giveaway for a couple of reasons, but the main one was the comparisons to Carl Hiaasen. I have read some Hiaasen books and enjoyed them. Also, Dorsey has a big following and I really expected to like this book.

I did not enjoy this book at all. I was put off at the get-go by a crude scene with cops standing around laughing at a crime scene, by a
Forrest Link
I like the madcap Serge Storm books, but this one feels phoned in.
Gloria Feit
Serge Storm is forever on some sort of crusade, this time, as employed by private detective Mahoney and assisted by his drugged-up alcoholic sidekick Coleman, he roams Florida removing perpetrators of various types of fraud against the Sunshine State’s inhabitants. Apparently, in this once again far-out but amusing novel, Serge (and Mahoney) discover a gang with several participants specializing in diverse types of frauds.

The scams range from the “Dating Bandit,” who occupies the mark while conf
Ron Arden
Even though Tim Dorsey's books are formulaic, to a point, this one was a bit different. It's amazing how I can sympathize with a serial killer, although he's nice and only harms people who really deserve it.

It's another adventure with Serge and Coleman as they drive their way through Florida. This story has them helping to end the scourge of scan artists throughout the state. They pray on both tourists and locals, which means they don't discriminate. They are equal opportunity scumbags.

The twist
Dugger
Another fun read with Serge A Storms.
Gary E
I just love all of the Serge A. Storms novels and this was no exception. Serge and Coleman are up to their usual hijinks and mayhem. I can not imagine at book 17 that most need a serious in depth review to be encouraged to choose to read this or not.

However if by some chance you are stumbling across this book first here is a brief synopsis of the series. Serge is a vigilante who goes after people he considers "jerks". Once he tracks them down he concocts vicious brutal ways to rid the world of t
Gary Marshall
If you're not already aboard the Tim Dorsey train I suspect you'll find this incomprehensible, but if you've read the others in the series you'll be delighted that the return of Serge and Coleman, the daftest double act in hyperactive crime fiction, also includes occasional supports Johnny Vegas and Detective Mahoney. I laughed like a drain.
Doug
At least a couple of times a year I really need a shot of Tim Dorsey. Between he and Carl Hiaasen, South Florida is made the laugh capital of the country. If anything, Tiger Shrimp Tango exceeds his usual high standard for zaniness. The scary part is, I found myself agreeing with Serge several times in this one. A good way to spend an evening.
Dennis
Still great but this one is written based on left overs from previous ideas. Still great and imaginative ways of disposing of scumbags but no real story behind it this time.
It looks like Serge is going to get a female side kick for the next book so I am impatiently waiting for the next episode!

Come on Tim, I love the series!
Stephen
Reading a Tim Dorsey book is like having an out-of-body experience. It may not be the typical mystery or crime novel that I prefer but once into the book it is a barrel of laughs and a high speed adventure.
In " Tiger Shrimp Tango" we again find ourselves in the wilds of Florida......actually all over the state. It seems that Florida leads the nation in the wildest scams imaginable ! And our spaced out 'detectives' are out to make it right with every individual victimized by one of these 'sting
Mary
Serge Storms is at it again, taking a bite out of crime with his usual sense of style! This time he is after a ring of scam artists who have been setting up innocent people and robbing them blind. With sidekick Coleman along for the ride, and assistance from a private eye buddy, Serge effectively rids his beloved Sunshine State of more of its criminal element, and rescues an innocent woman along the way.

Dorsey's novels always provide a good escape from the mundane, and this one does not disappoi
Merfey51
Just finished this book, the last one out so far in the seventeen book string. Similar to the past Serge Storms adventures, this is another whimsical bullet train ride with our protagonistic antagonist. Always entertaining, and deliberately far-fetched, the read value is high. The author at once displays a scientific knowledge base and rousing sense of humor. Interesting factoids along the way as well (bat tower, musicians home grown in Florida, Indian tribes, etc.) and of course what can you sa ...more
David Yaun
Any Serge Storms story is a good one, and makes for perfect beach reading. The series has flagged a little in the past couple of years, but this one suggests an upturn. Some great insights on why neither the Republicans nor the Democrats would consider Jesus electable, the hypocrisy of Fox News (easy pickings, admittedly) and the usual Florida madness (in which a serial killer is the sanest one around). And any book that figures out a plausible way to place a character in a chicken costume at a ...more
Diane
For anyone who may not yet have experienced the writing of Tim Dorsey, Tiger Shrimp Tango is an experience you will likely treasure if you have a sense of humor and a pulse. This new Dorsey offering is his classic mashup of murder, mayhem, and masterfully twisted characters. The book's plot draws heavily upon the very special class of scammers who always seem to land in Florida, and who have now adopted competitive intelligence and data mining into their nefarious scheming behavior.

For tried an

Matt
You know what you are going to get from Dorsey, and he never fails to deliver. This time Serge tackles (and by tackles, I mean murders with Rube Goldberg machines) con artists and scammers in south Florida. When South Philly Sal (from Miami) assembles a large team of otherwise small time criminals, their shenanigans draw the attention, and ire, of Serge. When someone can use the inner ear of a Lobster as a triggering mechanism, you don't want to mess with that someone.

One added bonus to Tiger Sh
Paul
Tim Dorsey is almost back! Gone for the most part is his foray I to negative Republican politics. This story is like most of the others not the most complicated plot, but what is back in full force are creative ways to kill off scum bags and this book has loads of them. It was all great fun. The only problem is the Serge Colman pairings is getting tired. I hope Tim Dorsey will try his hand at another book without Serge and Colman or make them a small part of the story. I would hate for this seri ...more
Unsolved Mystery
Jul 19, 2015 Unsolved Mystery rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Unsolved Mystery by: Given to me for a honest review

- My Description -
Paradise.
That one word makes one think of all kinds of words: palm trees, sand, water, waves, fruity drinks, etc, etc but not scams.
No way.
The last think you want to think about or have happen to you in paradise are scams or being a victim.

That's exactly what is happening in the state of Florida or at least in this book.

In Tiger Shrimp Tango, Serge Storms is a vigilante.
He just really doesn't like bad people, like scam artists.

Who can blame him, right?

Serge's friend is C
Matt Smith
Actual rating: 3 stars

Scam artists. We've all heard the horror stories: someone's life savings taken, identity stolen, their life in ruins. Well Serge will have none of that. Florida may be turning to the scam capital of America but it won't stop him from teaching these miscreants a little empathy.

Tiger Shrimp Tango, the latest in Tim Dorsey's series about socially-conscious killer and history buff Serge A. Storms, brings Dorsey's familiar style of oddball-ish satire laced with unsavory sycophan
Don Gorman
Serge and Coleman are still as crazy as ever, but Dorsey seems to (somehow) be getting more relevant in his material. This one is a rant against all the scammers and fraudsters out there, with a touch of a love story involved as well. Unusual territory for these characters and the author, too. But it all works, in fact, it works better than most of the Serge stories. An enjoyable ride, and as always, Serge's unique trivia knowledge and scientific abilities in executing bad guys is second to none ...more
Tom
(nb: I received an Advance Review Copy of this title from the publisher via Edelweiss)

No person—alive or fictional—loves Florida more than Serge Storms. His latest car is a 1978 Pontiac Trans-Am, with the eagle wings framing the hood scoop converted into Florida shapes.

As much as Serge loves Florida, though, he hates those who prey on the state’s innocent, and Serge is the last person you want as your enemy. Despite his presence, there are plenty of evil-doers out there, taking advantage of peo
Anthony
Serge and his ever present sidekick Coleman are at it again, this time taking it to the extreme to track down and eliminate the vicious scam artists that plague the state of Florida. Serge has nightmares about the death of his former girlfriend that he witnessed two years ago. Will he ever find out the truth about her death and who did it? Mahoney is hot on the job as well and needs Serge to tie up some loose end for him. Who but Serge could use Mentos and lobsters to teach scammers a lesson?
Andréa
This isn't my typical reading material, and I'm not sure I'll read the other books in this series. That being said, I actually did enjoy Tiger Shrimp Tango for the crazy Florida crime romp that it is.

Since I haven't read the previous Serge Storms books, I'm not sure if this is an element of all of them, but the timeline in Tiger Shrimp Tango jumps backward and forward, which can be confusing at times. One character seemed to have two first meetings with Mahoney, the private eye; I'm still not su
Lance Wright
This latest entry is fairly typical of the madcap adventures of the books in this series. There's more than the usual sense of randomness here, however, not so much in how Serge spends his time and the creative ways he kills the bad guys but with the underlying (and presumably unifying) plot that should be the foundation for all that goes on. Read our full review, here: http://www.mysteriousreviews.com/myst...
  • The Edible Exile
  • Baked
  • Mean High Tide (Thorn, #3)
  • Literally Murder (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery #4)
  • Home for the Homicide (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #7)
  • Board Stiff (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #12)
  • Mama Sees Stars (A Mace Bauer Mystery #4)
  • Parrots Prove Deadly (Pru Marlowe Pet Noir #3)
  • Cat in an Alien X-Ray (Midnight Louie #25)
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • A Bat in the Belfry (Home Repair Is Homicide, #16)
  • Cat Telling Tales
  • Mangrove Squeeze
  • Fog of Dead Souls: A Thriller
  • Death, the Devil, and the Goldfish
  • Lunatics
  • Gossamer Ghost (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #12)
  • Shadowkiller (Nightwatcher #3)
Tim Dorsey was born in Indiana, moved to Florida at the age of 1, and grew up in a small town about an hour north of Miami called Riviera Beach. He graduated from Auburn University in 1983. While at Auburn, he was editor of the student newspaper, The Plainsman.

From 1983 to 1987, he was a police and courts reporter for The Alabama Journal, the now-defunct evening newspaper in Montgomery. He joined
More about Tim Dorsey...

Serge Storms (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms, #1)
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms, #2)
  • Orange Crush (Serge Storms, #3)
  • Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4)
  • The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5)
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • The Big Bamboo (Serge Storms, #8)
  • Hurricane Punch (Serge Storms, #9)
  • Atomic Lobster (Serge Storms, #10)
Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms, #1) Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms, #2) The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5) Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4) Hurricane Punch (Serge Storms, #9)

“...And another item from the growing file of people who voluntarily wear dunce caps... You'll be talking cordially to someone and make an offhand reference, 'I recently read where--' and they'll cut you off and say, 'Oh, I don't read'... This is a tragedy on so many different levels. First, because they don't read, they don't know enough to keep it to themselves. Next, and this is the most amazing part, they use a demeaning tone like I'm the stupid one for wasting time with books.” 3 likes
“It would have been the middle of nowhere if it had been closer to other places.” 1 likes