Start by marking “L'Abyssin: Relation des extraordinaires voyages de Jean-Baptiste Poncet, ambassadeur du Négus auprès de Sa Majesté Louis XIV” as Want to Read:

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  782 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
A l'origine de ce livre, un fait historique : Louis XIV, le Roi-Soleil, est entré en relation avec le plus ténébreux, le plus mythique des grands souverains de l'Orient, le Négus. L'Abyssin est le roman de cette fabuleuse ambassade. Jean-Baptiste Poncet, jeune médecin des pachas du Caire, sera, par une extraordinaire réunion de circonstances, le héros de cette épopée baroq ...more
Published March 13th 1997 by Gallimard (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about L'Abyssin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'Abyssin

Susan
Apr 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-mainstream
I've been reading this novel on-and-off for years. My husband gave it to me for Christmas one year b/c I love anything about the rich past of Ethiopia. It's a historical novel translated from French. I really enjoyed it, but somehow it kept getting preempted by other stuff.

This book accomplishes something that I try for in my own writing and usually fail -- it manages to be genuinely funny in an unfamiliar world (French consul in Cairo in the 1700s). Being funny without slang and pop culture ref
M.
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henüz bir lise öğrencisiyken okuduğum bu kitap; okumalarım arasında "Popüler Kitaplar" kategorisinde en çok beğendiklerimden bir diğeri diyebilirim. Aztekler - Görkemli Bir Uygarlık Trajik Bir Aşk ve Baudolino ile aynı dönemde okuduğum üç tarihi kitaptan ikincisiydi. Üçü de sevdiğim kitaplar oldular.

Şarki havalar içerisinde Mısırdan Habeşistana doğru bir yolculuk! Kanuni Sultan Süleyman'ın Fransa'ya tanıdığı kapitülasyonların sınırlarını zorlayarak Habeşlileri Hristiyan öğretisine çekmeye çalışa
Mom pehrson
Sep 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one has it all. Drama, comedy, mystery, adventure, romance! Just a rattling good read.
Grace Tenkay
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was excellent. The way historical fiction should be. He takes you right into the place, time and culture with colorful language and descriptions. I will be reading more by Dr Rufin.
ladydusk
Borrowed from the Library.

The writing of this book is really quite lovely, particularly when considering that I read it in translation from the French. The word choice and syntax are delightful, and I was surprised by the number of words I had to look up.

I appreciate an author who can use seemingly meaningless earlier plot points and draw them back in showing them to be important in the character development or eventual working out of the story.

This book has a lot going for it: political, socia
Ayde
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading "The Siege of Isfahan" I wanted to read this author again, but I did not know "The Abyssinian" was his first published novel. As with that title, he introduced here an interesting cast of characters. The plot was well paced and keeps your interest to the end.

I liked Maître Juremi very much, particularly his loyalty to his friend Poncet, as well as his uncommon stubbornness in retaining his convictions.

Poncet is charming also; his behavior shows a guy who cares about love and can do
Luci
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good writing, very interesting characters and descriptive historical detail that transports the reader back in time. Really enjoyed it. I'll be reading more by the good doctor Rufin.
Eline Rootsaert
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abyssinie Myrifique! L'Abbyssin obtint de justesse le Prix Goncourt du premier roman. Le style fait penser à Kessel, mon auteur favori.
Margaret
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting clever book. I really liked the characters and the placement in history.
Good translation from the French as well.
Catherine
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
orientalism at its best. loved it! although i read it in french and my french is somewhere around the level of a fifth grader- so maybe its not as great in english.
  • L'Allée du Roi
  • E=mc², mon amour
  • Le Chœur des femmes
  • A Voz dos Deuses
  • Book of My Mother
  • Après la pluie, le beau temps
  • Les Cavaliers
  • The Prophet of Zongo Street: Stories
Jean-Christophe Rufin is a French doctor and novelist. He is the president of Action Against Hunger and one of the founders of Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors without borders). He was Ambassador of France in Senegal from 2007 to June 2010.

Rufin was born in Bourges, Cher in 1952. An only child, he was raised by his grandparents, because his father had left the family and his mother worked in Pari
More about Jean-Christophe Rufin...