Start by marking “Crafting Rails 4 Applications” as Want to Read:
Crafting Rails 4 Applications

Crafting Rails 4 Applications

Get ready to see Rails as you've never seen it before. Learn how to extend the framework, change its behavior, and replace whole components to bend it to your will. Eight different test-driven tutorials will help you understand Rails' inner workings and prepare you to tackle complicated projects with solutions that are well-tested, modular, and easy to maintain.

This
Published November 21st 2013 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published April 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Crafting Rails 4 Applications, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crafting Rails 4 Applications

Start your review of Crafting Rails 4 Applications
Barbara Krein
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. I LEARNT a lot from this book.
Philip Sampaio
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book about the internals of Rails! I learned a bunch of how to use some pieces together to create better applications. This book changed my view that Rails is too much coupled: it is much more flexible than I thought. Highly recommended for those who want to learn more about Ruby on Rails and its internals.
Jan Toth
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Must read if you want to see under the hood of Rails, definitely not book to learn Rails from, I'd recommend book to every intermediate Rails developer.
Brandon
Really advanced stuff for people who are ready and itching to dig into Rails internals.

The examples were a bit too contrived for my taste. Several didn't have any reason to exist other than to show off the guts of Rails, and the author even admitted that you'd have been more likely to solve a problem in a more straightforward, simple manner.

It's information-dense enough that I found it to be kind of a slog, though I did like the way chapters were organized, tying several deep Rails concepts into
Jacob Tjornholm
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. José Valim makes some pretty advanced stuff look simple, not least by test driving his way through the book. Recommended for anyone who want to create Rails engines, renderers, generators or similar, and for anyone who simply want to know more about the internals of Rails. It's a quick read but each page contains valuable stuff, there are no boring passages.

The table of contents is a bit misleading because most chapters actually cover a lot more than the main topic.

Also, I
Karim El-Husseiny
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The most interesting book about Rails internals. The author (Jose Valim) has an excellent understanding of Rails internals and infrastructure and does a great job to break down and simplify the advanced concepts. I highly recommend this book to Rails intermediate developers who want to write their own plugins or gems.
Johnny
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
The book covers Rails for intermediate programmes and offers many useful insights. Unfortunately it didn’t caught my interest. Rails 4 in Action is more my kind of book when it comes to Rails 4.
Juan Ignacio
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know about Rails internals, this is your book. Some of the examples are not recipes that you'll ever directly need, but the explanation shows many interesting details. Other books are nothing but sugar on top of the official tutorials. This one digs much deeper.
Harri Kauhanen
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: webdev, rails
There aren't many "advanced" Rails books around, but this one is an exception. It would perhaps have been even greater if organized around Rails topics (how routing works, rails views etc.) instead of having a "walkthrough" style creating useful ruby gems.
Dane
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read which delves into rails internals. While I found the information hidden in this book quite valuable, it was a bit rambly and the examples were a bit contrived. I feel it could have been 100 pages shorter and still held the same value.
Xavier Shay
Good reference if you want to go anywhere near the Rails APIs with plugins.
Sai
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming, 2015
Getting your feet wet in different parts of the Rails stack in a super fast tracked pace. It can be a little out of context, but it makes up for that by trying to touch upon a lot of topics
Oleksandr
It is not easy book.
It is really deep book on Rails internals. It helped me understand responders and translations in Rails.
I used techniques I found in book in current projects
Bbb
Læsegruppe for ud...: Snak om kapitel 5..9 1 3 Dec 05, 2012 08:33AM
Læsegruppe for ud...: Næste bog igen, nu med rabat 17 5 Dec 04, 2012 10:18PM

• Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Digital Fortress
  • Software Engineering (International Computer Science Series)
  • Spring Boot in Action
  • Lord of Fire (Knight Miscellany, #2)
  • Zero Bugs and Program Faster
  • C++ Concurrency in Action: Practical Multithreading
  • Debugging Teams: Better Productivity Through Collaboration
  • Spring in Action
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »