Start by marking “Under Fire” as Want to Read:
Under Fire

Under Fire

(Dan Taylor #2)

An explosion rocks a Qatari natural gas facility… a luxury cruise liner capsizes in the Mediterranean… and someone has stolen a submarine…

Are the events connected?

Dan Taylor doesn’t believe in coincidences – all he has to do is convince his superiors they are next in the terrorists’ line of fire.

As Britain enters its worst winter on record, Dan must elude capture to ensur
Kindle Edition, First
Published August 2013 by Saxon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Under Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under Fire

Phrynne
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
Number 2 in the Dan Taylor series and it was a teeny bit better than book 1, White Gold, because the plot was slightly more believable. Though it still needed the reader to suspend belief!

But that is what makes this kind of thriller thrilling - outrageously horrible villains, heroic main characters who can suffer almost anything and bounce back without a single visit to a hospital and stunningly beautiful women who can do anything a man can do. All good fun!

Under Fire has all those things plus a
Brenda
When Dan Taylor received the call to return to London for an urgent job, he had no idea what would follow. Having spent some time in the desert at the General’s side, the miserable and extreme cold of London was a great difference to the heat he had been enjoying. But when his boss, David informed him of their suspicions, he understood that the next days would test everything they had previously known – the danger was intense; they would have to fight the threat with everything they had.

When a t
Jen
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017challenge
Oh, oh, oh. How to begin this review? Do you have any idea how hard it is listening to an audio book of an action thriller, feeling yourself gravitating to the edge of your seat and then realising that you can’t because you’re driving and the steering wheel (and your concerns for your own safety) are in your way? Well, that’s what i went through while listening to Under Fire, the second instalment in the Dan Taylor series by Rachel Amphlett. Narrated by Craig Beck, this was perhaps even more ten ...more
Donna Usher
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book because the San Francisco Book Review raved about it, and I wasn’t disappointed. Rachel Amphlett is a woman writing in a male-dominated genre, and she’s doing it with style and aplomb.
Impeccably researched, this fast-paced action thriller drags you relentlessly through the pages, as Dan Taylor, our hero, works to thwart the work of terrorists trying to take out England’s Natural Gas Supply during one of the coldest winters on record.
Helping him is the beautiful, ass-kicking A
Veronica ⭐️
I would like to thank Goodreads first reads and Rachel Amphlett for my free copy of Under Fire in return for an honest reveiw.

Under fire is the second Dan Taylor novel by Rachel Amphlett. However not having read the first book I found this novel stood on its own quite well.
I think the story started off a bit slow and I understand the author was trying to set the scene but I found some of the lengthy descriptions were irrelevant.I love how the story evovled and changed without giving away too muc
Peg
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Under Fire is a thriller about a group of terrorists' from the Middle East and the Mediterranean, who have targeted England’s natural gas supply. .

The protagonist Dan Taylor, and his team, have been given the assignment of crippling the success of this planned terrorist attack. Dan was confident and comfortable with his team until the Sheik's daughter, Antonia, was thrown into the mix. The fact that she was an experienced fighter and a computer expert did nothing to ease his mind. He didn't have
Richard Smith
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Rachel's second book and sees Dan Taylor dusting himself off (quite literally!) after Rachel's amazing debut novel White Gold.

I read White Gold in three days. Under Fire was 2.5! (even though it's quite a few pages longer!) I just couldn't put it down and sacrificed sleep to finish it.

The plot is truly outstanding and very relevant to thee current world's energy issues. The detail is amazing and clearly very well researched. Something few people give either consideration or credit for wh
Richard Smith
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Jo Reason
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-reads
Dan Taylor is back in a second installment as he and a group of people try to figure out how to stop a terrorist group. Wow, what a roller coaster ride! Be prepared with some extra time on your hands, as you wont want to put this down. The action takes place in various countries around the world, with the outcome taking place in the United Kingdom. There are issues in the book which could be a real threat to some countries in the world, which make it seem more real and exciting.

This is the secon
Brian's Book Blog
Full review coming soon
Omar
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Britain is about to experience its coldest winter on record and someone is very determined to ensure that the country's imported gas supplies will fail. It is up to Dan Taylor and his team to find these people and prevent a national disaster.

The action moves from The Middle East to the Mediterranean and to England in this fast-paced thriller. Even as the situation looks like it may be resolved there is a surprising twist!

This is a very well written, readable book with a very believable plot and
Nick
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read and loved Rachel Amphlett's excellent first thriller "White Gold" last year, I have been waiting for Dan Taylor's next adventure ever since, wondering if the fast paced, thrill a minute action would continue.

It was more than worth the wait. Again, the characters are real, the plot is frighteningly possible and the pace is non-stop.

If you're a fan of Lee Child's "Jack Reacher", Andy McNab's "Nick Stone", Chris Ryan's thrillers and TV series "Strike Back" to name but a few, then both
Nick
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing

dennis barron
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Under Fire. Rachel Amphlett

An extraordinary and chilling action packed story!! A scenario that hopefully would never occur, but very possible. England is in one of it's coldest winters in recent history. They are dependent on natural gas. They own supplies and production is depleted. Ripe for someone to form a devious plot. Immense wealth and power is ready for the taken! Dan Taylor and his team are again brought into to stop this madman and his accomplices. Deceit and betrayal. A stupendous rea
P. Reads
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I got the book, I actually didn't know what to expect and the cover didn't help eiter... so I had put it asside for a while... what can I say... a mistake I made that won't be done again (I hope).

Rachel Amphlett's Under Fire is a smooth and well writte story with twists and turns every good thriller must have. It's up to date so the threats and actions are belieable.

As for me, I can say... my trip over the Channel with the ferry will never be the same again... and that's another point of a
Chris Lightfoot
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. My first time reading something my Rachel. Wow. It was a real page turner. A very readable, believable and action packed novel. I throughly enjoyed and heartily recommend it.
LooseBoots
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I thought the first book in the Dan Taylor was good then the second is even better. The characters are real and engaging and the plot is very believable. A fast paced thriller not to be missed.

Please lets have another one Rachel........
Kai
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
terrorist thriller
Lois
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

This book is a very good read. The plot is still timely and can be placed in many different locations.
Andy Sangster
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply a brilliant read

Just started reading the Dan Taylor series and now finished book 2, all I can say is I'm hooked and loving the concept. Would recommended the series to any fans out Jack Noble, Mitch Rapp, Jack Reached our similar. You won't be disappointed!!
T.W. Barton
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do we protect our natural resource infrastructure when everything’s controlled by computers? Turn on the TV; pick up a newspaper, there's sure to be something in it about some company or information being hacked. That‘s the heart of this tale.

Dan Taylor is a former British Army soldier injured by an IED over in the sandbox; he's dedicated his life to learning all he can about the favorite tool of terrorists.

Spending the cold winter in Arizona trying to figure the bombs out seems like a great
David
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book by signing up to the author's mailing list and I think as a plan it's worked for me as I will be getting more of her work.
I like the characters, the plot is on the believable side of fantasy and the characters well written. It is also a good balance of modern cyber terrorism and the old school person to person anti-terrorist action, something that I think they tried (mostly successfully) to do with Skyfall in the Bond series. There were two slight holes in my opinion, one minor,
Teresa Stump
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just loved this book!

Fast paced and full of excitement! Author keeps you guessing to the very end who the bad guys are. Dan has so much love for his country, and wants to stop terrorism cold. I will have to buy the third novel in the series to see what happens next. I been telling friends how much I enjoyed author books and telling them to get them to read. I finished this one in two days. I don't like to give details of books away because that just like telling someone the ending of a movie, wh
Jacqui Clarke
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to put down this action packed thriller!
Ann
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dan Taylor is back!

So pleased that Rachel Amphlet has followed on after White Gold. I was waiting for this new book expectantly and wasn't disappointed.

This is an excellent story, giving rise to thoughts of 'could this happen for real?' and will keep you on the edge of your seat until the end.

Dan Taylor has his work cut out in trying to stop disaster happening. Very good characters, well researched plot, well written and fast paced this is a 'must read' book.
Deborah Pople
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
even better than the first!

I enjoyed the first book in this series so much, that I immediately downloaded the second book. It is even better, with an incredible twist I never expected. I just hope there is a third book to this series!

Chaplain Stanleigh Chapin
Mixed reaction

The basic story line was good, however there were some parts that were beyond. Such as the main villain capabilities outside of the Iran government-been there could not happen.
Maggie
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant fast-paced thriller from the pen of Rachel Amphlett.
Alan C
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Following on from 'White Gold', this is another rip-roaring thriller from Rachel Amphlett. Great characters, excellent plot and a real twist at the end. Loved it.
Robin Potter
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks Rachel for another great series with Dan Taylor. Looking forward to reading another.
  • Parallax View (Tracie Tanner #1)
  • The Dying Trade (Cliff Hardy, #1)
  • Unprotected Sax
  • Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel
  • The Unicorn's Daughter
  • The Half Life of Ryan Davis
  • The Johnson Project
  • The Demon Signet (The Solomon Key, #1)
  • The Twentieth Man
  • The Amber Trail
  • The Accidental Existentialist
  • Hunter's Games (Adrian Hell, #2)
  • Quota
  • Moon Mask
  • Night Tide (Blake Sanders #2)
  • The Twelfth Juror
  • The University
  • Sin and Vengeance
USA Today bestseller Rachel Amphlett writes crime fiction and spy novels, including the Kay Hunter British detective series, the Dan Taylor espionage novels, the English Spy Mysteries featuring Eva Delacourt, and a number of standalone crime thrillers.

Rachel is a member of International Thriller Writers and the Crime Writers Association, with the Italian foreign rights for her debut novel, White G

Dan Taylor (4 books)
  • White Gold (Dan Taylor #1)
  • Three Lives Down (Dan Taylor #3)
  • Behind the Wire (Dan Taylor #4)