Start by marking “You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter” as Want to Read:
You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter

You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter

Is it possible to heal by thought alone—without drugs or surgery? The truth is that it happens more often than you might expect. In You Are the Placebo, Dr. Joe Dispenza shares numerous documented cases of those who reversed cancer, heart disease, depression, crippling arthritis, and even the tremors of Parkinson’s disease by believing in a placebo. Similarly, Dr. Joe ...more
Published April 29th 2014 by Hay House, Inc. (first published March 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about You Are the Placebo, please sign up.
Ugnius Unfortunately, absolutely none. As well as all the healings in his workshops that he talks about. It's most probably fake.

Start your review of You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter
Paul Lima
Aug 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Additional comment since the review: the more I think of this book, the angrier I get. I now feel the author is a fraud, even if he believes what he is saying. Kind of like a Billy Graham. Can't believe he was invited to give a TED Talk. Has diminished the Talks in my eyes.

I've hesitated commenting on this book... Not sure why. I suspended my skepticism when reading it, but by the end it all came tumbling out.... First off, I do believe the brain is something remarkable -- something we don't fu
George Jankovic
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book!!! If someone told you that you could heal yourself simply by using your mind--even cancer--would you believe or would you laugh? While I've always been a big believer in the power of human mind to do both bad (destroy our body via stress, for instance) and good (to at least reverse that), I would've been suspicious to say the least. But a very close friend of mine recommended this book and bought it for me because stress had been ravaging my body and i've been getting all k ...more
Sam Torode
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read more self-help books than I care to admit on Goodreads, but this one is a stand-out. Lots of fascinating anecdotes about the power of the mind...and a good reminder of why I need to meditate more regularly.
Jonathan
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book has an excellent premise. The placebo effect is well documented, but it's hard to self-induce. For instance, people who take placebo antidepressants do almost as well as those who get the real deal -- so what if you could create that placebo effect *internally*, at will?

Unfortunately the "snake oil" red alarm bells started ringing madly before I had finished the introduction. Talks more about his own workshops than scientific studies? Check. Success stories all anecdotal? Check. Lots
Olga Sotomayor
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“You Are The Placebo”-making your mind matter by Dr. Joe Dispenza 1st edition available April 2014 (ISBN 978-1-4019-4458-2) is where spirituality meets science, where the reader is introduced to how powerful our thoughts can be and the effect it has on our physical body. A book about mind body connection, about healing ourselves, simplified to layman’s terms where anyone can understand and grasp the concepts presented within its pages. Dr. Dispenza includes in his book a specific meditation gear ...more
Shikha rawal
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most magnificent books I have read in a long time. If anyone is impressed by the secret book by Rhonda Byrne then you must read this book- cause this book proves scientifically how "a thought" has so much power and how you can completely transform your life with nothing more than changing thoughts and deep ingrained belief systems.

It's a must read for everyone who wants to transform themselves into better living beings and who want to experience the unknown.
Also the author has menti
Gry Ranfelt
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Dear Atheists and skeptics: please read my review.

This book will teach you much on harvesting the power within your mind. Whether it helps you heal your body or not, it can show you the way to inner bliss.
It will also, however, try to sell you some things that you shouldn't unconsciously buy into. I think Joe Dispenza is dangerously into the territory he accuses doctors of unknowingly misusing - the reader is suggestible due to their faith in the book's message, and he takes ad
Tim Larison
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a complementary copy of this book from Hay House for review purposes. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.

You no doubt have heard stories of people being healed from illness by taking miracle drugs, only to find out later the drugs were “placebos” – or harmless sugar pills. How, then, were these people healed? Dr Joe Dispenza explores this phenomenon in his new book, “You Are the Placebo: making your mind matter”.

Dispenza knows what you te
Aggie D. (Agnieszka)
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's all in the attitude!
Neuroscience, epigenetics...
The placebo (I shall please), and the nocebo (I shall harm) effects on the body, on physiological and psychological level have been studied for years. The patient responding either positively or negatively depending what they expect/believe. This book is fascinating because it gives both scientific and mystic examples (like people eating glass and walking on coals) and not getting hurt, by changing their mind and then body on a cel
Pam Thomas
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Its science at its most profound, fascinating, how to shape your brain and body using your thoughts and emotions. it starts with a thought and ends with a fact and once we understand how our bodies renew themselves we can harness the process. This book is just amazing.
Amber the Human
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
I - hmm. I definitely think there is a strong placebo effect that we humans often fail to notice. But I wish this book had been a little more "science science" and a little less "you can heal thyself" and "only you can choose when you die." A fellow book club member called it dangerous - I'm not sure I'd go that far, but definitely read with a grain of salt.
Sean Ward
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sean by: Sarah
Shelves: reviewed
A friend mentioned this was recommended to her, so I took a look and couldn't put it down.

Some people may not respond well to the word "placebo" in the title, as it can conjure the idea that illness is all in your head, or imagined, which isn't the case; however, cures are often largely dependent on the placebo portion of any treatment. For better or worse, our biology and is governed by our thoughts to a great extent. Our brains can spur changes in neuroplasticity, and can alter our gene struc
Shawn Lemon
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible! This explains so many things and basically lays out the mechanics of healing through a placebo, or with your mind based on belief. I want everyone to read this!
Karl
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
--An educational & exhaustive look at how the Placebo Effect can transform our lives--

In Dr. Dispenza’s newest book, "You are the Placebo" we are provided with the life-affirming knowledge that our thoughts and expectations can transform our lives by helping us overcome illness, disease, and numerous other afflictions that limit our ability to enjoy life to the fullest.

I do not read medical journals, so I can’t make this statement with certainty; however, I would sugg
Abbie
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
WOW!! I can sum up this book in a few words:

- incredibly powerful
- incredibly dense sometimes
- 10/10 recommend for brain science nerds
- especially nerds who don't mind lots of technical language
- also there's some kind of cringe-y medical stuff/disturbing stories in here?? (fair warning)
- but wow S O F R E A K I N G G O O D
- you can literally change who you are by changing your thoughts (!!!)
- and this book teaches you how to do it
- I'm
Dan Wingard
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Joe Get's "It"

After first reading Breaking The Habit of Being Yourself, delving further into meditation and starting to see results, I could see that Dr. Joe was on to something. You Are The Placebo further reinforced the studies through extensive research and in an easy to read format. This has further opened my eyes and mind to the incredible potential we all have, with the how-to's to fully BE, both now and as we create an amazing future! Thank's for your work, Dr. Joe!
Svetlana Wesley
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Every single soul must read that!
Christopher Newton
Oct 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Just couldn't get into it. Hopeless, I guess.
Stephanie Thoma
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
To sum "You Are the Placebo" up: why have we dismissed the fact that a placebo pill may have been as effective as the real thing if both have relatively low 'success' rates? If even 10% of each group, placebo and nonplacebo, have experienced positive effects or healing of their condition, it's telling of the power of the mind thinking it's being helped, and following suit. This book recalls instances of people healing themselves from mental and physical ailments through the power of thought, and ...more
Kent Winward
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Read the book and pay attention when he references science. If there are studies involved about placebos, he will cite them and the book feels strong. If he mentions quantum physics, the science goes out the window into nonsense. Think of his rantings on quantum physics as a placebo thought to try and get people to understand the placebo effect. It is a sugar pill of nonsense, but if it gets people to believe in placebos, ironically it could work.

The reality of the placebo effect is
Waseem
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book far easier to follow and understand compared to his first 2 books “Evolve Your Brain” and “Break the Habit of being Yourself”

It was written more like a book vs textbook that has a lot of technicality like his earlier books (in my opinion) - this made this book in particular far more enjoyable like hearing a conversation vs constant technical descriptions of the brain and workings of the mind as found in his earlier books...

Instead in this book the author
Manoj Prakash
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very powerful book.

Belief reinforced with facts. It shows the way to put power in your very hands !

Read it to benefit. Practice it to master it !
Everto08
Self-helping book making you reconsider your approach between your mind, body and who you are. The book would have benefited from reduced repetitions, going directly to the point and a more developed section on how to do it.
Nathaniel Allison
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Joe comes off more as a conman rather then a spiritually driven leader attempting to help people.

Every book of his and interviews are similar. Explains his miracle story then asks you to pay hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars to find your result.
Paula Vince
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a very hopeful book combining science and spirituality with the author's own experience and that of several others. He convincingly writes that the state of our health may not be as much out of our control as many of us have been brought up to believe. Basically, he says, the body experiences what the mind believes to be true, although it's more complex than that.

The book begins with a story from the author's past. As a 23-year-old cyclist, Joe Dispenza shattered and compress
Sneha Diwakar
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: psycology
If you are exposed to the concept of 'power of the mind' there is nothing ground breaking in this book. However, there are some chapters (3-6) that I did find interesting where Dispenza explains the biology of the mind in very simple and easy to understand terms.

I could almost divide the book into what, why and how of the concept. Personally I found the number of examples quite exhausting, which would be the what section. Why, where the author writes about how the mind works and the physiology
Ugnius
Mar 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
There is some usefull concepts on how to percieve your thoughts as determiners of your life. But all the references to quantum physics are factualy incorrect. Also neuroscience here is being used metaforically not realisticaly without Joe Dispenza mentioning it. Since he does not give any proofs of healings in his workshops as well as his own healing after bike accident, we must be critical and realise that it is probably not true and ment to collect your money buy attending his workshops.

JUST
R.l.
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing

This was a fascinating and excellent read on the power of the mind.
The author first provides tons of mind blowing real cases that prove beyond the shadow of any doubt (at least for me, it did) the power that our thoughts and our beliefs carry and how they affect our bodies.
The author then gives the reader exercises and tools to begin to use this information on purpose.
As a man believes in his heart, so is he. This book proves it. A fascinating read and time richly spent.

*FTC
May 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
The book contains a lot of interesting case studies and scientific proof of the placebo effect and the power of the mind in terms of changing your biology.

However, it felt like it was dragging on and on and on about various examples or scientific research without getting to the point of what it is that he does exactly. Its only at the END of the book that you get two meditation texts which can help you.

Loved the book in the first 2 - 3 chapters but towards the end, I couldn't wait t
Nathalie
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is full of information to understand the connection between body and mind and how our mind can affect our health and general happiness. I highly recommend giving it a read and you will not see your mind in the same way. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because the book is quite repetitive.

• The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter and Miracles
  • Mind to Matter: The Astonishing Science of How Your Brain Creates Material Reality
  • The Honeymoon Effect: The Science of Creating Heaven on Earth
  • The Intention Experiment: Using Your Thoughts to Change Your Life and the World
  • Honeycake: Help I Swallowed a Butterfly
  • The Spontaneous Healing of Belief: Shattering the Paradigm of False Limits
  • Neville Goddard: The Complete Reader
  • Communion with God
  • Excuses Begone!: How to Change Lifelong, Self-Defeating Thinking Habits
Dr Joe Dispenza is an international lecturer, researcher, corporate consultant, author, and educator who has been invited to speak in more than 33 countries on six continents. As a lecturer and educator, he is driven by the conviction that each of us has the potential for greatness and unlimited abilities. In his easy-to-understand, encouraging, and compassionate style, he has educated thousands of people ...more
“And can you teach your body emotionally what it would feel like to believe in this way . . . to be empowered . . . to be moved by your own greatness . . . to be invincible . . . to have courage . . . to be in love with life . . . to feel unlimited . . . to live as if your prayers are already answered? . . .” 27 likes
“Your thoughts and feelings come from your past memories. If you think and feel a certain way, you begin to create an attitude. An attitude is a cycle of short-term thoughts and feelings experienced over and over again. Attitudes are shortened states of being. If you string a series of attitudes together, you create a belief. Beliefs are more elongated states of being and tend to become subconscious. When you add beliefs together, you create a perception. Your perceptions have everything to do with the choices you make, the behaviors you exhibit, the relationships you chose, and the realities you create.” 21 likes