Start by marking “You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter” as Want to Read:
You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter

You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter

Is it possible to heal by thought alone—without drugs or surgery? The truth is that it happens more often than you might expect. In You Are the Placebo, Dr. Joe Dispenza shares numerous documented cases of those who reversed cancer, heart disease, depression, crippling arthritis, and even the tremors of Parkinson’s disease by believing in a placebo. Similarly, Dr. Joe ...more
Published April 29th 2014 by Hay House, Inc. (first published March 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about You Are the Placebo, please sign up.
Ugnius Unfortunately, absolutely none. As well as all the healings in his workshops that he talks about. It's most probably fake.…moreUnfortunately, absolutely none. As well as all the healings in his workshops that he talks about. It's most probably fake.(less)
Ugnius You will find a lot off hippy new age mumbo jumbo "science" in this book.…moreYou will find a lot off hippy new age mumbo jumbo "science" in this book.(less)

Start your review of You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter
Paul Lima
Aug 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Additional comment since the review: the more I think of this book, the angrier I get. I now feel the author is a fraud, even if he believes what he is saying. Kind of like a Billy Graham. Can't believe he was invited to give a TED Talk. Has diminished the Talks in my eyes.

I've hesitated commenting on this book... Not sure why. I suspended my skepticism when reading it, but by the end it all came tumbling out.... First off, I do believe the brain is something remarkable -- something we don't fu
George Jankovic
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book!!! If someone told you that you could heal yourself simply by using your mind--even cancer--would you believe or would you laugh? While I've always been a big believer in the power of human mind to do both bad (destroy our body via stress, for instance) and good (to at least reverse that), I would've been suspicious to say the least. But a very close friend of mine recommended this book and bought it for me because stress had been ravaging my body and i've been getting all k ...more
Jonathan
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book has an excellent premise. The placebo effect is well documented, but it's hard to self-induce. For instance, people who take placebo antidepressants do almost as well as those who get the real deal -- so what if you could create that placebo effect *internally*, at will?

Unfortunately the "snake oil" red alarm bells started ringing madly before I had finished the introduction. Talks more about his own workshops than scientific studies? Check. Success stories all anecdotal? Check. Lots
Sam Torode
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read more self-help books than I care to admit on Goodreads, but this one is a stand-out. Lots of fascinating anecdotes about the power of the mind...and a good reminder of why I need to meditate more regularly.
Gry Ranfelt
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Dear Atheists and skeptics: please read my review.

This book will teach you much on harvesting the power within your mind. Whether it helps you heal your body or not, it can show you the way to inner bliss.
It will also, however, try to sell you some things that you shouldn't unconsciously buy into. I think Joe Dispenza is dangerously into the territory he accuses doctors of unknowingly misusing - the reader is suggestible due to their faith in the book's message, and he takes advantage of this.
Fo
Shikha Rawal
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most magnificent books I have read in a long time. If anyone is impressed by the secret book by Rhonda Byrne then you must read this book- cause this book proves scientifically how "a thought" has so much power and how you can completely transform your life with nothing more than changing thoughts and deep ingrained belief systems.

It's a must read for everyone who wants to transform themselves into better living beings and who want to experience the unknown.
Also the author has menti
Olga Sotomayor
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“You Are The Placebo”-making your mind matter by Dr. Joe Dispenza 1st edition available April 2014 (ISBN 978-1-4019-4458-2) is where spirituality meets science, where the reader is introduced to how powerful our thoughts can be and the effect it has on our physical body. A book about mind body connection, about healing ourselves, simplified to layman’s terms where anyone can understand and grasp the concepts presented within its pages. Dr. Dispenza includes in his book a specific meditation gear ...more
Amber the Human
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
I - hmm. I definitely think there is a strong placebo effect that we humans often fail to notice. But I wish this book had been a little more "science science" and a little less "you can heal thyself" and "only you can choose when you die." A fellow book club member called it dangerous - I'm not sure I'd go that far, but definitely read with a grain of salt. ...more
Tim Larison
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a complementary copy of this book from Hay House for review purposes. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.

You no doubt have heard stories of people being healed from illness by taking miracle drugs, only to find out later the drugs were “placebos” – or harmless sugar pills. How, then, were these people healed? Dr Joe Dispenza explores this phenomenon in his new book, “You Are the Placebo: making your mind matter”.

Dispenza knows what you tell yourself can heal phy
Aggie D. (Agnieszka)
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's all in the attitude!
Neuroscience, epigenetics...
The placebo (I shall please), and the nocebo (I shall harm) effects on the body, on physiological and psychological level have been studied for years. The patient responding either positively or negatively depending what they expect/believe. This book is fascinating because it gives both scientific and mystic examples (like people eating glass and walking on coals) and not getting hurt, by changing their mind and then body on a cellular level,
Danny Aldham
Dec 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
I rarely review books I didn’t like. On June 3, 2019 I suffered a serious spinal injury while mountain biking. Since then several friends have given me books to help with my recovery. ‘You are the Placebo’ by Dr. Joe Dispenza was one such book. I had just finished reading ‘The Brain that Changes Itself’ by Norman Doidge so I had some understanding of neuroplasticity and the ideas that the body and brain can adapt. So I had high hopes.
The book begins with some interesting research on the placebo
Khushboo
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Many people would snub it as a voovoo hippie book, I don't think it is anything like that. Do give it a read it's bound to surprise you in many ways, if only you keep an open mind.
I realized that placebo is something I've unconsciously done in my life back when I was chasing some goals in life, and it was quite similar to how Dr Joe explains how placebo actually works.
Also, I'm 1000% sure, I know this will work if applied consistently for atleast a few months for lasting change .
Whoever is rea
Pam Thomas
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Its science at its most profound, fascinating, how to shape your brain and body using your thoughts and emotions. it starts with a thought and ends with a fact and once we understand how our bodies renew themselves we can harness the process. This book is just amazing.
Ugnius
Mar 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
There is some usefull concepts on how to percieve your thoughts as determiners of your life. But all the references to quantum physics are factualy incorrect. Also neuroscience here is being used metaforically not realisticaly without Joe Dispenza mentioning it. Since he does not give any proofs of healings in his workshops as well as his own healing after bike accident, we must be critical and realise that it is probably not true and ment to collect your money buy attending his workshops.

JUST
Shawn Lemon
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible! This explains so many things and basically lays out the mechanics of healing through a placebo, or with your mind based on belief. I want everyone to read this!
Laura (Kyahgirl)
The concept of this book is interesting but its 12 hours long and I can’t wade through hours and hours of anecdotes and personal stories to try and find anything about methodology. I have no doubt whatsoever in the power of the brain and our ability to do a lot of healing in non conventional ways but I’m not going to be able to increase my knowledge with this book. Maybe the physical book would allow me to wander around through the pages and find some helpful info but the audiobook is a DNF for ...more
Lakhan
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars. Jam packed with examples of how to recover from health issues through the power of your placebo (thoughts). Really enjoyed the final meditation and how Joe simplifies the science behind it!
Sean Ward
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
A friend mentioned this was recommended to her, so I took a look and couldn't put it down.

Some people may not respond well to the word "placebo" in the title, as it can conjure the idea that illness is all in your head, or imagined, which isn't the case; however, cures are often largely dependent on the placebo portion of any treatment. For better or worse, our biology and is governed by our thoughts to a great extent. Our brains can spur changes in neuroplasticity, and can alter our gene struc
Kent Winward
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Read the book and pay attention when he references science. If there are studies involved about placebos, he will cite them and the book feels strong. If he mentions quantum physics, the science goes out the window into nonsense. Think of his rantings on quantum physics as a placebo thought to try and get people to understand the placebo effect. It is a sugar pill of nonsense, but if it gets people to believe in placebos, ironically it could work.

The reality of the placebo effect is undisputed.
Taron
Jul 14, 2022 rated it really liked it
This book was not at all what I thought it would be. I have read quite a few books on psychosomatic illness as it is an area of great interest for me -- having suffered with it in the past -- and so I though this would be a more scientific one. I was quite irritated at the beginning of this book by the author's seeming lack of medical credentials (after an initial google), but in the end I think that he makes some really good points, even if it does seem to be a new age book on healing. I'm stil ...more
Vinod Kurup
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
There are some good things in here, but the book just violated too many of my red flags. It is based on lots of anecdotes, many of which didn't seem all that 'amazing' to me. The 'explain science in lay terms' chapters often started off OK, but then made huge leaps between the actual science and the author's idea for what the science meant. His descriptions of quantum physics, epigenetics and atomic structure seem just way off.

What are the good things? I like the idea that the presence of the pl
Nathaniel Allison
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Joe comes off more as a conman rather then a spiritually driven leader attempting to help people.

Every book of his and interviews are similar. Explains his miracle story then asks you to pay hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars to find your result.
Everto08
Self-helping book making you reconsider your approach between your mind, body and who you are. The book would have benefited from reduced repetitions, going directly to the point and a more developed section on how to do it.
Christopher Newton
Oct 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Just couldn't get into it. Hopeless, I guess. ...more
MizzSandie
Wow.
Hands down, respect, total awesomeness, WOW!
I recommend everyone to read this. To learn about the body-mind connection and all the many miracles that can happen when we understand how we are the placebo and how the whole mind-body works and how we thereby create matter from mind. Dispenza has done it himself, and through studies, research and case examples illustrates how it all works. Throughout he’s good at ‘translating’ some of the heavy science examples to more understandable, everyday
Blaga Nicoleta
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it! This author becomes one of my favourite authors!
Karl
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
--An educational & exhaustive look at how the Placebo Effect can transform our lives--

In Dr. Dispenza’s newest book, "You are the Placebo" we are provided with the life-affirming knowledge that our thoughts and expectations can transform our lives by helping us overcome illness, disease, and numerous other afflictions that limit our ability to enjoy life to the fullest.

I do not read medical journals, so I can’t make this statement with certainty; however, I would suggest that this book is likely
Tarun Kumar
Nov 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Really an amazing book!!! Very well explanation given by the author as to how our thoughts impact us.
T C
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Previous critical reviews give an accurate description of the book.

In summary the topic is interesting and there is surely something you could take away from it, but the way in which the writer tries to make his point is annoying and a little deceiving. N=1 examples, or using 0,5% of a study to support his claims aren't scientifically acceptable, even though he does his best to make you think they are. He also uses free interpretation with regards to exiting research without giving the reader a
May 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
The book contains a lot of interesting case studies and scientific proof of the placebo effect and the power of the mind in terms of changing your biology.

However, it felt like it was dragging on and on and on about various examples or scientific research without getting to the point of what it is that he does exactly. Its only at the END of the book that you get two meditation texts which can help you.

Loved the book in the first 2 - 3 chapters but towards the end, I couldn't wait to finish it!
KPIs 1 3 Feb 09, 2021 11:57AM

• The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter and Miracles
  • Mind to Matter: The Astonishing Science of How Your Brain Creates Material Reality
  • You Can Heal Your Life
  • The Master Key System
  • The Honeymoon Effect: The Science of Creating Heaven on Earth
  • The Divine Matrix: Bridging Time, Space, Miracles, and Belief
  • Metahuman: Unleashing Your Infinite Potential
  • Feeling Is The Secret 1944
  • The Energy Codes: The 7-Step System to Awaken Your Spirit, Heal Your Body, and Live Your Best Life
  • The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
  • Living Untethered: Beyond the Human Predicament
  • Power of the Spoken Word
  • Real Magic: Ancient Wisdom, Modern Science, and a Guide to the Secret Power of the Universe
  • The Attractor Factor: 5 Easy Steps for Creating Wealth (or Anything Else) from the Inside Out
  • The Power of Your Subconscious Mind
  • Reality Transurfing Steps I-V
  • The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself
See top shelves…
Dr Joe Dispenza is an international lecturer, researcher, corporate consultant, author, and educator who has been invited to speak in more than 33 countries on six continents. As a lecturer and educator, he is driven by the conviction that each of us has the potential for greatness and unlimited abilities. In his easy-to-understand, encouraging, and compassionate style, he has educated thousands o ...more

News & Interviews

The winter holiday season tends to be a busy one in the romance aisle. To assist you in finding your next hot read to warm up a cold night,...
“And can you teach your body emotionally what it would feel like to believe in this way . . . to be empowered . . . to be moved by your own greatness . . . to be invincible . . . to have courage . . . to be in love with life . . . to feel unlimited . . . to live as if your prayers are already answered? . . .” 39 likes
“Your thoughts and feelings come from your past memories. If you think and feel a certain way, you begin to create an attitude. An attitude is a cycle of short-term thoughts and feelings experienced over and over again. Attitudes are shortened states of being. If you string a series of attitudes together, you create a belief. Beliefs are more elongated states of being and tend to become subconscious. When you add beliefs together, you create a perception. Your perceptions have everything to do with the choices you make, the behaviors you exhibit, the relationships you chose, and the realities you create.” 37 likes