Start by marking “Shaken (Heart of a Warrior #1)” as Want to Read:
Shaken (Heart of a Warrior #1)

Shaken

(Heart of a Warrior #1)

When her world is shaken, will her foundation survive?

Idealistic and sheltered with a passion to change the world, Kaylan Richards leaves her comfortable life in Alabama to serve in poverty-stricken Haiti. Despite her inexperience and the opposition of a voodoo priest, Kaylan develops a love for the country and the Haitian people. But something deadly is about to strike.

It
Published February 4th 2014 by Realms (first published January 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Shaken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shaken

Beverly
On the day of her university graduation, Kaylan Richards stood at the crossroads of her future. She could choose a safe and secure route, work at her family's dance studio until she begins her internship and gets her certification. She would be near home and family. Or she could take the road less traveled, making a decision to follow the Lord's leading in a completely different direction. That would take her to Haiti as a volunteer for six months putting her recent training to use in a more cha ...more
Becky Hollar
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Everything I've been reading lately involves characters who maybe grew up knowing the Bible but want nothing to do with it now till something causes them to rethink their stance. SHAKEN, pun slightly intended, shook things up by having characters who are saved but then they face tough life issues that have them questioning faith-it makes the story more relatable and avoids being "too preachy". I thoroughly enjoyed this book and loved the usage of a real-life event to make the story more real. Th ...more
ceecee
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was absolutely A M A Z I N G. It had the perfect blend of Christian faith, natural disaster, trauma, blind faith, love and of course a rescue. I am in love with this book.

It's perfect for older teens. Be sure you understand that it's not for young teens, but instead for older teens. This book has a death scene that is absolutely horrible and leaves you crying. It's not for the faint of heart.

My heart ached for Kaylan at every turn. The trauma she endured and relived reminds me of some
Hannah
What?! How did I not remember to rate and review this before? Argh. Still finding these stray reviews in my ghost closet...

I really loved this story, set in the days of the Haitian earthquake. The heroine is an American aid worker and the hero an American soldier, both of whom must battle the elements as well as their own pasts. I loved the colorful characters and appreciated the unusual setting. Be sure to pick up this one and be ready to grab book two when you finish.
Evangeline
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: default, giveaways
Wow! This is such a touching, emotional story, and I loved it. This is Kariss Lynch's debut novel, and she did a great job. I have already ordered the second book in this series. I received this book in a giveaway. Thank you, Kariss! You now have an avid reader following you!
Clara
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely an emotional rollercoaster kind of book, I was hooked! This people are real and made me feel every emotion possible in this book.
Faith
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing

"Sometimes it's like trying to swim upstream. You fight the current the whole way, and only those determined to tough out the heat, animals, natural disasters, and blase attitude make it. This country isn't for the fainthearted or idealistic." ~Rhonda, aid worker down in Haiti.

"Love is a really strong word." ~Kaylan, nutritionist volunteering her skill in Haiti.

"Pray for Kaylan and leave her in the capable hands of the God who has her wrapped in his arms, even when she can't feel him right no
Alison Jayne
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal
It had an amazing story line. I love reading books that have historical background to it.
Leslie M.
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kaylan Richards just graduated from the University of Alabama and is ready to start her adult life… just not in the way her family anticipated. She did not expect her biggest regret, Navy SEAL Nick Carmichael, to be in attendance when she made the announcement that she was going to Haiti with her friend Sarah Beth instead of pursuing a career as a dietician. Nick had chosen the military over her. She is willing to give him a second chance, however, as she sees a vulnerability in him that did no ...more
Debbie
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
"Shaken" is a Christian romance novel. I thought this novel would be mainly set in Haiti and show the struggles they deal with, but only a third of the book occurs in Haiti and much of the detailed description was of the earthquake and the immediate aftermath. Since I've read some nonfiction about what Haiti is like, I was confused that problems like AIDs were never mention in the novel, especially as the characters were giving medical care to bleeding people.

I also had a hard time getting immer
Beckie Burnham
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shaken is the debut novel from Kariss Lynch. As such, it is a little of what you’d expect from a first time author — perhaps a little stiff stylistically, the characters a little too good – but there are a lot of positives that kept this reader turning the pages. Lynch’s passion for her subject and the excellent research create a really good book. I expect really good things from Kariss Lynch in the future.

Kaylan is a new college graduate set to change the world. She goes to Haiti with her best
Christina Chermak
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read- after the first few chapters prepare to be quickly swept up in Kaylan's story. It's one of those books you'll get sucked into quickly, and spend every free minute reading until you're done. As someone who's seen Haiti first hand, Kariss did a great job doing the country's history and turmoil justice as well as showing how God so often uses someone's time there to shape them into who they were meant to be.

This is a great read if you're looking for an entertaining story that skips the
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First off let me start off by saying that the book is broken up into 4 parts and so I wanted to break up my review into the same four parts, however the whole book is just that good I didn't want to do that I feel like I would be taking the book apart to much . In first Kaylan and Sarah Beth(BFF) graduate college a semester early and decide its there turns to take on the world, well at least Hati, so Kaylan has the daunting task of telling her parents her plan, but before that can happen her pa ...more
Jessica
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This in no way influenced my review of the book.

Shaken gave me all the feels. I usually do not cry while reading books, but while I was reading Shaken I cried for at least an hour.

I connected so well with all of the characters. Kariss Lynch's writing style is so incredible that I cannot even express how much I enjoyed it. I read 3/4 of this book in one day which I only do with books that I love immensely.

My favorite part
Trinity Rose
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shaken book one in the Heart of a Warrior series by Kariss Lynch is a very good book. It tells of Kaylan and her best friend Sarah Beth going to Haiti before the earthquake in 2010. How they wanted to help the poor and give them hope and a future. They are in Haiti when the earthquake hits.
It also is a story of heartbreak and love. Nick and Kaylan knew each other for a year or so and then he went with the SEALs and broke her heart. Now he is back. What has changed and how will they get along?
Melissa
May 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I love Christian fiction, but this book started out more like a eutopia of how our lives and families should be as believers. Every character believes and every aspect of their lives is lived on their belief in God, even the teenager. It was too rose colored as very few live that way though we all strive to.

Then the girls go to Haiti and we start to see faith questioned, especially after the earthquake and return home, which made the rose colored picture of Christianity more real with the hard
Hallie Szott
May 12, 2015 marked it as on-hold
This review is also posted on Book by Book.

Kariss Lynch’s first Heart of a Warrior novel, Shaken, offers a powerful and emotional story of adventure and romance. Kaylan Richards heads to Haiti after graduating college - and just before the earthquake that shook up the country. Learning to trust God and follow His plan, Kaylan strives to make an impact on the Haitian people in the face of the challenges and disaster and simultaneously navigate her complex relationship with Nick Carmichael. Overal
Monica Mynk
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I cannot express enough how much I loved this book. Kaylan is one of the most endearing characters I've read this year. My compassion for her multiplied with every page. My heart ached when hers ached. When she lost herself, I lost myself, too. It's rare to go on such an emotional roller coaster ride with a character, and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

I liked how Nick moved in with purpose from the beginning of the book. He was loyal from the beginning, so we didn't have the typical tension of whe
Joan
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a good debut novel. A college graduate and her best friend (Kaylan and Sarah Beth) go to Haiti to work for a short term. They are there during the earthquake. Kaylan must face the struggle of believing in a God who says He is good in the face of such tragedy and death. Interwoven in the story is her previous romance with a fellow who dumped her when he left on deployment as a navy SEAL. Right before she went to Haiti, he came back and wanted to renew their relationship.
See my full review
Janice Paterson
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
A bit slow to start, it took me a while to finish. But I'm glad I did. (Pride and Prejudice was the same way, so that's not really a terrible thing). Once things sped up, I was engaged in the characters, wanting Kaylan to grow and heal from her trials. I liked how even though it's a Christian book, the characters aren't perfect, which makes them real.
Hannah
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book. Read this book. If you've had your heart damaged, if you think God couldn't possibly use somebody as broken and messed up as you, please, read this book!! I loved every sentence, even the ones that convicted me so strongly it hurt. I cried. I laughed. This is probably one of the best books I've ever read. Six out of five stars.
Kimberly DuBoise
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific book! It has strong, wonderful characters that I really liked and so much emotion! The struggles were real, deep and beautifully expressed. I really felt pulled into the story and I appreciated thew way the romance done. This is a great read and I can't wait to read more from the author !
Crystal M
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading this book, which I received from First Reads. I enjoyed this book a lot. I really liked all of the characters, especially Pap. It gives a glimpse of what life was probably like in Haiti when the earthquake happened. I would definitely read other books in the series and other books from the author.
T.M.
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with a very story line that most Christians can relate to. Our faith in God is changed by the disasters we find ourselves in. Kaylan's catalyst happened to be a terrible earthquake. All of us have to deal with the terror of this life but we come out stronger in those terrible moments.
Mark Allen
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Karris Lynch is an incredible writer. The powerful way she writes make a reader not want to set the book down. SHAKEN IS A WORK OF ART. I am an author myself and I love reading her stories.
I recommend this book with five stars.
Mark Allen
Heidi
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
slow getting going but after that really good cant wait for the next one
Rustina Jones
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book makes you feel part of the characters lives and feel what they feel. A must read can't wait to read the second book in 2015.
Amanda Rardon
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book sucked me in from the first page! A great story of love, life, loss and finding your way.
Edward Arrington
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book. Such a beautiful story of love, friendship, suffering, and surviving. Kariss Lynch shares some very important lessons for Christians in her novel. I highly recommend it.
Mary Dooty
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
LLLOOOOVVVEEEDDDD IIIIITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A September Bride (A Year of Weddings, #10)
  • A November Bride (A Year of Weddings, #12)
  • An April Bride (A Year of Weddings, #5)
  • Maid for Martin (California Love Trilogy #1)
  • An October Bride (A Year of Weddings, #11)
  • A February Bride (A Year of Weddings, #3)
  • A Thousand Sleepless Nights
  • The Quilted Heart Omnibus (Quilted Hearts #1-3)
  • Mom's Night Out
  • The Last Queen of Sheba
  • Through the Deep Waters
  • The Proof
  • Buttermilk Sky
  • A May Bride (A Year of Weddings, #6)
  • Für Elise
  • Temperance's Trial (Virtues and Valor, #1)
  • The Return of Cassandra Todd
  • Just 18 Summers
Kariss name means “grace” but graceful she is not (most of the time). She is an extroverted introvert who would rather write with people in the room so she can talk at the same time than hide in a corner.

Kariss Lynch began her writing career in third grade when she created a story about a magical world for a class assignment. Chasing her dream into college, she received a degree in English at Texa

Heart of a Warrior (3 books)
  • Shadowed (Heart of a Warrior #2)
  • Surrendered (Heart of a Warrior #3)