Start by marking “Some Bugs” as Want to Read:
Some Bugs

Some Bugs

Get the buzz on bugs in this picture book from Angela DiTerlizzi!

Grab your magnifying glass!
Find your field guide!
And come hop, hide, swim, and glide
through this buggy backyard world!

Featuring insects including butterflies and moths, crickets and cicadas, bumblebees and beetles, this zippy rhyming exploration of backyard-bug behavior is sure to have insect enthusiasts of a
Published March 4th 2014 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Some Bugs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Bugs

Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Some Bugs has A LOT of bugs! Bugs flying, fluttering, biting and buzzing around the pages. So many bugs to see!

Cute colorful bugs with friendly eyes and smiles. The ants had my favorite page with their underground tunnels. Up and down under the ground!

Angela DiTerlizzi and Brendan Wenzel combine forces—words & pictures—to introduce readers to the bugs living in and around backyards. This book captures the energy and curiosity of scouring the ground for movement and color and sound. Fun ene
Angelina
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to bugs (even if they are not your favourite)!
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

A field guide to what some bugs do! With a page naming all the bugs that were part of the drawings.

The illustrations are so beautiful for this book they could seriously be posters for a kid's room! The illustrations totally make the book what it is. I loved the larger animals included in the spreads to show scale as well as the different sized bugs from the tiny flies to the big beetles.

My nephew enjoyed this book and we talked abou
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Added: Fabulous book trailer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhtFq...

Angela DiTerlizzi does a wonderful author talk! Perfect for kids in Kindergarten and 1st grade! If she's in your area, it's well worth it to hear her talk about her writing.

A beautifully done rhyming book about bugs. While details are added to the bugs to make them cute, the general shape and structures are accurate. The last two pages include all of the bugs from the story along with their common names.

Recommended for presc
Barbara
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable bug illustrations. You'll have fun naming all the little critters.
Ioana Johansson
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Kid loves it! We use every action (sting, bite, hop, swim etc.) on his body and he laughs and tries to imitate me. He looks for the ladybug on every page and he liked to find the frogs and when he sees the cat he meows:)))
I think the illustrations are fantastic and the tiny, sturdy format works great for a one year old.
Nicole Clear
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some bugs is a short book with simple rhyming about bugs and the noises they make. It can be related to everyday experiences in Understanding the World through exploring their local environment. The pictures are inviting and interesting with lots of opportunity to link to Physical development with acting out different insect movement, music for different insect noises and artistic creations. A whole themed week on insects and small creatures in the garden could be created from this book in the E ...more
Caryn Caldwell
Rhyming text describes the qualities of numerous insects, accompanied by gorgeous -- and delightfully quirky -- illustrations. A colorful index at the back shows each type of bug, along with its name. The book has a sense of celebration, of appreciation and wonder for the bugs, making them seem special and interesting instead of icky and gross. The A/B/A/B rhyme scheme sets students up for predicting the end of the second couplet before they turn the page to see it, making it good for practicing ...more
Maggi Rohde
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We begin this review with the consideration of why Brendan Wenzel's illustrations are so damn cute. Cuteness researcher (really an ethologist) Konrad Lorenz identified a set of traits that cause human beings to think something is cute. We're apparently hardwired for it. Large head, large eyes, rounded shape all contribute to the cuteness factor, and Brendan Wenzel's animals have it in spades.

I'm not just talking about the bugs in this book, either. Wenzel has done illustrations of bazillions of
Heidi-Marie
The most adorably illustrated bugs I've ever seen. This is a must for bug lovers. They rhyming works very well. And all the bugs identified at the end is a plus. Will be fun, quick addition to have in a storytime.

7/22/15 I decided to have them use their finger(s) and recreate the actions mentioned in the book for the bugs. They really enjoyed that. And at the end I showed them the page of all the bugs and pointed out a few of them. Then I had them tell me what their favorite bugs were. Funny tha
paula
Oh...YES. YES!

Some bugs do this, some bugs do that. Hop like a grasshopper, buzz like a bee! And the verbs are grouped - movement, sound, food gathering, defense strategy. SO SMART.

The bug illustrations hit just the right spot - enough detail to ensure that each bug is identifiable as what it is, but abstract enough not to let that detail get distracting, and with googly eyes to make 'em cute.

Fun for storytime, fun for older readers too. WITH an identification key in the back.
Kristy
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
Some Bugs has bright, beautiful illustrations. There are only a few words per page, which allows for a lot of discussion. (Which bugs hide? Which bugs glide?). Perfect for an insect themed storytime.

Great for storytime.
Carrie Gelson
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
What incredible illustrations - you will want to go bug hunting through this text!
Tracie
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Delightful illustrations and singing rhymes make this book one to recommend and reread.
Linda Atkinson
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite bug book!!
Betsy Caroline Hahn
This book talks about a lot of bugs! From bugs in the air to bugs who live in the ground, this book describes the noise or what they sound like. I think this is a book to share to show how many insects there are and where some of them live. The illustrations are cartoonish and give innocents and cuteness to the bugs.
For an activity I would play a game where I would call out either the name, color, or noise of the insect. Ex: If I call butterfly, then the kids would either flap their arms, make
Victoria
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love a Storytime that can be as board as possible. You get more flexibility in the songs and rhythms that you choose. The book talks about a variety of different bugs, drawn almost to scale. See the world through a bugs eyes, and how big everything looks. Five words per page at the most and 2 at the least. On the last page it shows and names all the bugs mentioned in the book. There are a lot! Great for bug Storytime.
Fromwordstoworlds
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
My daughter didn't feel well today so I kept her home but we spent the morning wisely, drinking hot chocolate and talking about mini beasts - beetles, caterpillars, crickets, cicadas, stinky bugs, butterflies and mosquitoes.
Angela DiTerlizzi's Some Bugs was our resource, a captivating book focusing on the diversity of insect world. Not to mention Brendan Wenzel's illustrations that can prove one's insectophobia unrealistic.
Mary
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was on my list of "not-boring learning books" according to my 6 year-old: http://honorsgradu.com/hunting-for-go...

A simple and charming read by Angela DiTerlizzi to get us thinking about all the different types of bugs and their functions.

Emmett Griffo
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Theme: bugs, rhyming, spring

This book is about bugs...go figure! What makes it special are the cool graphics, the little ladybug in every scene, and the rhyming scheme. It's a great introductory book for anyone wanting to learn/teach about a small variety of bugs without being overwhelmed by the mass amounts of insects and information out there!
DeA
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great book for bug lovers. It is a simple story about different kinds of bugs and includes at the end a page with the names of all the bugs featured in the book. Great illustrations and perfect for a cuddle and read with a toddler or young reader. It contains an easy to follow rhyming scheme that will help young readers follow along. Recommend to young readers and their parents.
Rachel
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
My three-year-old son was interested in this book, which makes a lot of sense since he's been wanting to talk a lot about the bugs he has been seeing outside.

This would be a good picture book to use in the classroom as a mentor text for verbs and an introduction to the basic concept of verbals.
Anthony
A word and picture book of the many types of bugs and what they do in their world. The closing challenge of the story is for the reader to take a closer look in their own backyard to find some bugs living there.
Lynn  Davidson
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a nicely illustrated rhyming story that takes the reader through pages of interesting bugs that do different things. In the back of the book are two pages of cutesy illustrations of many bugs, labelled to show who they are.
Marcia
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book to add to the insect study. Simple rhyming text full of fun verbs, plus terrific illustrations that remind me of Lois Ehlert or Eric Carle. Look for the cute ladybug on each page. A hit with the second grade.
Breon Randon
I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I thought that it would just be a little listing of bugs but gorgeous illustrations combined with bouncy prose made it quite informative for me and my preschooler-who, by the way, squealed with delight at the stinkbug. Kids.
Ben Hicks
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was extremely well written and informative about bugs of all shapes.

loved this book it was amazing

I think this book would inform the kids about bugs and how many different types of bugs God made and how wonderful they are.
Nancy
This of course is a list-poem love-song to bugs (and verbs) -- but I am wondering if it would launch us into other list-poem love-songs (to balls? hair? light?). Looking forward to finding out. Brendan Wenzel's pictures are so fun.
Jess El-Zeftawy
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not big on bugs but my 3 yo seemed to enjoy this one. The friendly and silly illustrations helped to keep the creepy crawly feelings at bay. The best part is the illustrated bug glossary at the end. It gave us lots of prompts to talk about all things buggy.
Laura Molinario
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Picture Book
Wonderful illustrations
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Have You Heard the Nesting Bird?
  • Weeds Find a Way
  • Lucky Ducklings
  • Winter Bees & Other Poems of the Cold
  • The Beetle Book
  • Big Bug
Angela DiTerlizzi is a mom, wife, and author who loves writing books for children. Her picture books include Some Pets, Some Bugs, Baby Love, and Just Add Glitter. She and her husband, bestselling author/illustrator Tony DiTerlizzi, reside with their daughter in Amherst, Massachusetts.