Start by marking “Some Bugs” as Want to Read:
Some Bugs

Some Bugs

Get the buzz on bugs in this picture book from Angela DiTerlizzi!

Grab your magnifying glass!
Find your field guide!
And come hop, hide, swim, and glide
through this buggy backyard world!

Featuring insects including butterflies and moths, crickets and cicadas, bumblebees and beetles, this zippy rhyming exploration of backyard-bug behavior is sure to have insect enthusiasts of
Published March 4th 2014 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Some Bugs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Bugs

Start your review of Some Bugs
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Some Bugs has A LOT of bugs! Bugs flying, fluttering, biting and buzzing around the pages. So many bugs to see!

Cute colorful bugs with friendly eyes and smiles. The ants had my favorite page with their underground tunnels. Up and down under the ground!

Angela DiTerlizzi and Brendan Wenzel combine forces—words & pictures—to introduce readers to the bugs living in and around backyards. This book captures the energy and curiosity of scouring the ground for movement and color and sound. Fun energy!
Angelina
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to bugs (even if they are not your favourite)!
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

A field guide to what some bugs do! With a page naming all the bugs that were part of the drawings.

The illustrations are so beautiful for this book they could seriously be posters for a kid's room! The illustrations totally make the book what it is. I loved the larger animals included in the spreads to show scale as well as the different sized bugs from the tiny flies to the big beetles.

My nephew enjoyed this book and we talked abo
Abigail
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books Celebrating Nature
"Some bugs sting. / Some bugs bite. / Some bugs stink. / And some bugs fight!" And so begins the sing-song narrative of Some Bugs, a lovely picture-book exploration of the insect life to be found in a child's backyard. A brief text - no more than a sentence per page - is paired here with vividly colorful illustrations depicting various bugs. The book concludes with a girl and her cat, who have been the ones examining all the insects under discussion, and a final page in which each one is identif ...more
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Added: Fabulous book trailer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhtFq...

Angela DiTerlizzi does a wonderful author talk! Perfect for kids in Kindergarten and 1st grade! If she's in your area, it's well worth it to hear her talk about her writing.

A beautifully done rhyming book about bugs. While details are added to the bugs to make them cute, the general shape and structures are accurate. The last two pages include all of the bugs from the story along with their common names.

Recommended for presc
Barbara
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable bug illustrations. You'll have fun naming all the little critters.
Michael Fitzgerald
Nov 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Not particularly helpful in teaching youngsters. Firstly, when you call everything from a dog tick to a bumblebee to a monarch caterpillar to a scorpion a "bug," you haven't taught anything and actually have probably made readers more confused. Why can't a more scientific definition be used (insects of the order Hemiptera, with mouths designed for sucking)? Butterflies and bumblebees and beetles are not bugs. And scorpions certainly aren't - they aren't even insects; they are arachnids, like spi ...more
Rachael Terry
Short sentences on each page. Focuses on what bugs do (bite, glide, swim, etc.) Cute and very detailed illustrations.
Monique
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Delightful book that is beautifully illustrated. My kids loved trying to pronounce the bug names. Reading and learning is always amazing.
Kris Dersch
Vibrant, cute, a must for young bug enthusiasts. Both my toddler and my kindergartner were fans.
Samantha Funk
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute story!
Maria
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Super cute book! Loved it!
Ioana Johansson
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Kid loves it! We use every action (sting, bite, hop, swim etc.) on his body and he laughs and tries to imitate me. He looks for the ladybug on every page and he liked to find the frogs and when he sees the cat he meows:)))
I think the illustrations are fantastic and the tiny, sturdy format works great for a one year old.
Nicole Clear
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some bugs is a short book with simple rhyming about bugs and the noises they make. It can be related to everyday experiences in Understanding the World through exploring their local environment. The pictures are inviting and interesting with lots of opportunity to link to Physical development with acting out different insect movement, music for different insect noises and artistic creations. A whole themed week on insects and small creatures in the garden could be created from this book in the E ...more
Caryn Caldwell
Rhyming text describes the qualities of numerous insects, accompanied by gorgeous -- and delightfully quirky -- illustrations. A colorful index at the back shows each type of bug, along with its name. The book has a sense of celebration, of appreciation and wonder for the bugs, making them seem special and interesting instead of icky and gross. The A/B/A/B rhyme scheme sets students up for predicting the end of the second couplet before they turn the page to see it, making it good for practicing ...more
Maggi Rohde
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We begin this review with the consideration of why Brendan Wenzel's illustrations are so damn cute. Cuteness researcher (really an ethologist) Konrad Lorenz identified a set of traits that cause human beings to think something is cute. We're apparently hardwired for it. Large head, large eyes, rounded shape all contribute to the cuteness factor, and Brendan Wenzel's animals have it in spades.

I'm not just talking about the bugs in this book, either. Wenzel has done illustrations of bazillions of
Heidi-Marie
The most adorably illustrated bugs I've ever seen. This is a must for bug lovers. They rhyming works very well. And all the bugs identified at the end is a plus. Will be fun, quick addition to have in a storytime.

7/22/15 I decided to have them use their finger(s) and recreate the actions mentioned in the book for the bugs. They really enjoyed that. And at the end I showed them the page of all the bugs and pointed out a few of them. Then I had them tell me what their favorite bugs were. Funny tha
paula
Oh...YES. YES!

Some bugs do this, some bugs do that. Hop like a grasshopper, buzz like a bee! And the verbs are grouped - movement, sound, food gathering, defense strategy. SO SMART.

The bug illustrations hit just the right spot - enough detail to ensure that each bug is identifiable as what it is, but abstract enough not to let that detail get distracting, and with googly eyes to make 'em cute.

Fun for storytime, fun for older readers too. WITH an identification key in the back.
Susan
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, storybook
Meh. The word use is solid and the illustrations cute. BUT virtually none of the creatures shown are actually bugs. Plus, ladybird beetles neither click nor sing. Children are capable of learning proper information about the world; unfortunately, they are also able to learn incorrect information. This book generally provides the latter.
Kristy
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
Some Bugs has bright, beautiful illustrations. There are only a few words per page, which allows for a lot of discussion. (Which bugs hide? Which bugs glide?). Perfect for an insect themed storytime.

Great for storytime.
Linda Atkinson
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite bug book!!
Carrie Gelson
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
What incredible illustrations - you will want to go bug hunting through this text!
Tracie
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Delightful illustrations and singing rhymes make this book one to recommend and reread.
Betsy Caroline Hahn
This book talks about a lot of bugs! From bugs in the air to bugs who live in the ground, this book describes the noise or what they sound like. I think this is a book to share to show how many insects there are and where some of them live. The illustrations are cartoonish and give innocents and cuteness to the bugs.
For an activity I would play a game where I would call out either the name, color, or noise of the insect. Ex: If I call butterfly, then the kids would either flap their arms, make
Fromwordstoworlds
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
My daughter didn't feel well today so I kept her home but we spent the morning wisely, drinking hot chocolate and talking about mini beasts - beetles, caterpillars, crickets, cicadas, stinky bugs, butterflies and mosquitoes.
Angela DiTerlizzi's Some Bugs was our resource, a captivating book focusing on the diversity of insect world. Not to mention Brendan Wenzel's illustrations that can prove one's insectophobia unrealistic.
Victoria
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love a Storytime that can be as board as possible. You get more flexibility in the songs and rhythms that you choose. The book talks about a variety of different bugs, drawn almost to scale. See the world through a bugs eyes, and how big everything looks. Five words per page at the most and 2 at the least. On the last page it shows and names all the bugs mentioned in the book. There are a lot! Great for bug Storytime.
Alicia Evans
Through vibrant illustrations and clever rhymes, we see the world of bugs around us. As someone who doesn't like bugs at all, I really liked that this book made me forget that--that's a huge accomplishment. Well done. (Some of the "bugs" aren't actually insects though, and I'm sure that will irritate some readers.)

For: fans of bugs; readers looking for a book showing the fun side of bugs.

Possible red flags: some readers may not enjoy all the bugs shown here.
Ashley
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute picture book for young kids that describe the movements of different insects in simple, yet fun, rhyming text. The illustrations are also fun and engaging and they also include an Insect Guide in the back naming all of the bugs that were present throughout the book. I gave 4 stars only because spiders and scorpions were classified as "bugs" rather than arachnids which might confuse a young reader. Definitely would recommend to any preschool age group.
Ashley
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an exciting book to read at storytime, or to include in a list of things families could do at home together. Wenzel's illustrations are adorable and fun without being too divorced from what the bugs really look like. Really enjoyed this one. There's a beautiful page at the end where all of the species are identified.

Recommended for kids who are into bugs. Excellent for a group before a bug-finding activity.
Marissa
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-reads
We received this book as a gift for my daughter’s 1st birthday. It quickly became her favorite book! It is bright and colorful and the sing-song rhymes are quite catchy, and predictable, which is great for children! Now that she’s closer to two, she loves this book even more because she can participate with it. We mimic the sounds the bugs make and she has a great time with it. This is a must for any nursery/play room!

• Hello Hello
  • The Circus Ship
  • Pick a Pumpkin
  • How to Make Friends with a Ghost
  • Crunch, the Shy Dinosaur
Angela DiTerlizzi is a mom, wife, and author who loves writing books for children. Her picture books include Some Pets, Some Bugs, Baby Love, and Just Add Glitter. She and her husband, bestselling author/illustrator Tony DiTerlizzi, reside with their daughter in Amherst, Massachusetts.