Start by marking “The Girl and the Bicycle” as Want to Read:
The Girl and the Bicycle

The Girl and the Bicycle

From the creator of The Boy and the Airplane, a touching wordless picture book about a little girl, a shiny bicycle, and the meaning of persistence—with an unexpected payoff.

A little girl sees a shiny new bicycle in the shop window. She hurries home to see if she has enough money in her piggy bank, but when she comes up short, she knocks on the doors of her neighbors, hopi
Published April 29th 2014 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Girl and the Bicycle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl and the Bicycle

Mischenko
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To see this and other wordless picture book reviews, please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

The Girl and the Bicycle by Mark Pett is a wordless picture book for children about a young girl and a new found goal.

As she walks with her little brother, she happens to see a bicycle in a shop window. She scurries home to see how much money she's saved and soon realizes she'll have to find a way to raise the money. She meets a nice lady who could use some help, and once she's earned enough money to pu
Caroline
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: he-wrote-it
This is a picture book in the literal sense: it uses only pictures to tell its story, like the childhood favorite of many, The Snowman. The colorless illustrations (save the bicycle, which is green), are quietly beautiful, clean, and easy to follow. The story also--and most notably--has a pleasant old-time feel to it; the girl covets a simple bicycle; she counts money from a piggy bank; she sets up a lemonade stand and does chores for neighbors; she resembles a young Olive Oyl--all of this portr ...more
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

I’m not a huge reader of wordless stories for kids. My reads usually need words to whisper, giggle, and tickle the audience. I’ve only come across a few over the years that captured my imagination and love. The Girl and the Bicycle by Mark Pett can be added to that short list. This book hit me right in the heart!

Mr. Pett pulled me in with quiet, simple, plain illustrations of a girl and her plan to earn enough money to buy a bike. A bicycle she has been eyeing in the store window all year. Deter
Philip
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We loved this book. Loved it, loved it. I checked it out of the library quite a few weeks ago, and it is long overdue. I've only read it to the girls twice though.

I asked Poppy (3) if she wanted to write her first review about the book with me, and she said, "YES!!!" Right after that, Liz told me she loved the book, and has read it with the kids a whole bunch of times - and that it's Gwennie's favorite book that we have from the library right now. I almost invited her along for the review, but s
David Schaafsma
Of the children's picture books nominated for the Goodreads awards this year, this is my favorite so far. It's a wordless book simply illustrated, with heart. The drawing is obviously hand drawn and doesn't have the wit and sophistication of some of the others, but this one has the most heart. It has some Chaplin and Gift of the Magi sweetness in it, for sure, and similar moves. A girl wants a bicycle. How will she get it? Sweet, even a little moving. I liked it very much.
Clare Cannon
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This one's a keeper, the kind of picture book you want on your family bookshelf for years to come.

A beautiful, pictures-only story of hard work and kindness has been turned into a timeless classic by the naive, old-fashioned illustrations that speak straight to the heart.

So many special things jump out: a little girl's affection for her younger brother shown even in the way she holds his hand; the subtle humour in the images with little brother popping up in random places; the girl's ingenuity a
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story told without words. Adults and children will love discussing what is transpiring on each page.

The illustrations are so expressive and even adorable.

A little girl is walking past a toy store with her little brother when she sees a beautiful green bicycle. She must have it, but she doesn't have enough money to buy it. What can she do?

She decides to work for it. After several tries she finally meets a lady who hires her to help around her house. The illustrations show how she help
Julie
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Excellent in so many ways, but if you have read, "The boy and the airplane" and pay attention to one particular illustration (hint: it's the only one with red instead of green), you will probably cry.
Whitney Rachel
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
SUCH A GREAT STORY. I had goosebumps by the end, not entirely sure if that's because of the temp in the room or if the story was just that heart-warming.
Shelley
Can a book get more than 5 stars? What a wonderful heart-felt story. Also loved the tiny shout out to Pett's other book: The Boy and the Airplane.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
My new favorite wordless picture book! It made me tear up at the end. I loved every page..but the last 2 pages are the best.
Heather
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
you guys. THE FEELS. TEARS. love.
Emily Hofmann
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Her eyes are on the prize: the shiny green bicycle in the storefront window. Determined to have the bike has her own, the little girl sets out to earn enough money to buy the coveted bike. She searches the couch cushions, opens a lemonade stand, and rakes the leaves from the yard. One friendly neighbor admires the girl’s hard work and provides odd jobs to help her earn the money. As the Fall leaves turn to snow, the girl finally earns enough money to buy the bicycle! She proudly bounds back to t ...more
Adashia Richardson
Text-To Teaching

The girl and the Bicycle is a word-less book that can be used for children to tell their own story. By looking at the pictures students will give their account of what is taking place. Students will be able to see the story shape through their words, which can be used as a motivational tool for beginning readers. This reading activity will be recorded on chart paper, and posted in the classroom.
Sara
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-it
Super. Sweet. I love wordless books, and I loved that she worked so hard for her dream and when she couldn’t realize it she bought something for her little brother who was her constant companion. Her thoughtfulness and kind heart was rewarded. Love lit at its finest.
Heidi-Marie
Oh my goodness. I'm trying to keep the tears in. They don't usually jump to my eyes THAT fast. Such a simple book and yet so sweet. Simple illustrations, but I love them. No words, but so much can be conveyed in those simple illustrations--which is amazing. And that the girls makes a lot of effort to achieve what she wants. Then what she chooses to do at the end--that was sweet right there. But what happened at the very end, oh my word. Still getting tears thinking about it. This feels like a Pr ...more
Linda Gill
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
wordless...
simple drawings...
few colors...
a story of persistence...
harkening back to the 1940s & 50s of my childhood...
with a fun conclusion to the story.

The girl has her younger brother with her when she sees a new green two-wheeled bicycle in the store window. She needs money in order to buy this bike so she empties her piggy bank, checks her pockets, the dryer, under the couch pillows, only to find that she hasn't enough. She contemplates her options as seriously as a young girl can.
She
Jocelin
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is another great "wordless picture" book by Mark Pett. He can convey such great stories without saying a single word. This was a story of a girl who really wanted to get a green bicycle. She was very industrious of her pursuit of said object. The book takes you through the hard work that she did to go after the bike. All along her little brother is with her. The story has a very sweet surprising ending and it is very touching.
This is book about hard work, determination, and sacrifice. I lov
Mary
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Some wordless picture books work. Some don't. This one is one of the best ones I've seen. A young girl sees a green bike in a shop window and starts saving money for it. She earns some money by helping a neighbor with chores over a course of a year. When she finally has enough money, she goes back to the store to get her bike, only to discover it's been sold. However, there is still a really lovely ending. I'm not embarrassed to admit that my eyes welled up with tears. The illustrations are just ...more
Kifflie
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I don't always go for wordless picture books, but this one is very, very charming.

A girl, with her baby brother in tow, is walking past a shop when she sees a shiny green bicycle. Well, she's completely entranced by it, and devises all sorts of schemes to get the money to purchase it.

The story takes a couple of twists, but there is a happy ending, and this is really a very powerful testament to hard work and generosity.

I think kids and parents alike are going to love this one.
:Donna Marie
THE GIRL AND THE BICYCLE Mark Pett has done it again. The artwork and story of this wordless picture book is soft, heartwarming and captivating. I've always loved the "old world" feel of his illustrations, and the stories he tells have that wholesome, old-fashioned quality and sense that I am drawn to, with that yearning for a simpler time.
Elizabeth A
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, art
I love wordless picture books because the words don't get in the way of a good story. Not only that, but each time you "read" it, you get a slightly different story. This picture book for young readers is pretty straight forward in terms of the story line and has lovely illustrations.
Karen
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ellie, jacob, mom
Lovely book without words. Shows a girl who wants a bicycle and doesn't have enough money to buy it. She then figures out ways to make money to get it. Great ending. Perfect timing for us to look at this book...Jacob is trying to earn money to buy a Star Wars Millennium Falcon lego set.
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very nicely done--beautiful pictures and an even more beautiful message.
Michelle
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the cutest children's books that I have "read" in a long time. It goes to show you that you don't need words to tell an amazing story.
Tortla
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chidderbooks
Sweet little book with a lovely, old timey atmosphere. Not the hugest fan of the message of being rewarded for selflessness. But not not a fan, either...
javadiva
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Why aren't there more books about sacrifice and blessings like this one?
Molly
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Made me tear up at the end!
Rebecca
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wordless storytelling at its best. Dare you not to sniffle.
Anna
The sweetest, most heartwarming book with no words I have ever encountered.
  • The Farmer and the Clown