Start by marking “Octopus's Garden” as Want to Read:
Octopus's Garden

Octopus's Garden

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Come sing and dance around in an octupus’s garden in the shade! The classic Beatles song comes to life with colorful illustrations from bestselling illustrator Ben Cort and a CD with a new music recording and audio reading from stellar musician Ringo Starr.

I’d like to be under the sea
In an octopus’s garden in the shade
He’d let us in, knows where we’ve been
In his octopus’
Published February 4th 2014 by Aladdin (first published October 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Octopus's Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Octopus's Garden

Eve
May 04, 2014 Eve rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mariam
Oh what joy for every girl and boy! If ever there was a Beatles song in need of a vibrant new kids' book, it's this one. (And it was a lot of fun watching my daughter realize that I already knew the words somehow.) The CD includes a new recording of our old friend Ringo singing it and reading it, too. My only complaint is that the tones on the CD signaling page turns are pretty fast, which puts the pages in danger of being ripped as we try to keep up. Four stars.
Edward Sullivan
I love Ringo and I love the song but a great song does not necessarily make a good picture. In this case, it's quite awful thanks in large part to the dreadful illustrations.
Sally
This is a bit silly - great song but it doesn't work as a story book. Just comes across as a further attempt to squeeze more money out of The Beatles fame.
Jill
I thought this was a great book! I really loved the colorful illustrations and I think that kids will really like them. I have to admit, I couldn't figure out how the song went when I read through it the first time (Beatle mania was a bit before my time.) But then I played the accompanying cd and knew it right away, of course. It's a catchy tune and since the cd is included with the book, will naturally get parents singing this with/to their kids. Will definitely be going on the nominations page ...more
Matti Karjalainen
Vuonna 1969 ilmestynyt The Beatles -albumi "Abbey Road" sisälsi Octopus's Garden -nimisen kappaleen, jonka oli sanoittanut ja säveltänyt bändin rumpali Ringo Starr. Hän myös lauloi kappaleen levylle.

Lastenlaulua muistuttaneesta kappaleesta on nyt tehty samanniminen kuvakirja, jonka on kuvittanut Ben Cort. Cortin kuvitustöitä ei ole nähty meillä Suomessa, mutta maailmalla hänet tunnetaan mm. Aliens Love Underpants -kirjan kuvituksesta.

"Octopus's Garden" seuraa sanatarkasti alkuperäisen laulun te
Jane
Octopus Garden is written by Ringo Starr (the Beatles member) and illustrated by Ben Cort. It is a beautifully illustrated picture book that leads children to a mysterious underwater world and the importance of friendship.

The book comes with a CD of Beatles song: Ringo singing and reading along with the book. This book is good for children 3-9, they can read and sing along with the book. It would be a good book for children who like to use their imagination.
Shelli
An illustrated picture book of classic Beatles awesomeness with musical accompaniment?? Yes please!! I admit I kind of jumped about excitedly when I saw this in the new arrivals section of the library. Ben Cort did a nice job bringing this underwater adventure to life for young readers. The disc includes three tracks:

1. With the original song,
2. Ringo Star himself narrating (LOVED IT),
3. Karaoke style without the lyrics.
Amanda
I picked this book up on a whim because HECK YEAH BEATLES and I hoped the kids at work would enjoy it.

They love that the book has a soundtrack (they honestly say "Hi Ringo!" when he speaks ;__;) and a song to sing along to. I also noticed that the little boy who is more or less the main character has a pet goldfish following him around on each page, and the kids like searching for him in every illustration.
Nicole
While it's a lovely fun little song for children, it's a pretty unordinary children's book as far as the illustrations go.

Would be fun for an ocean-themed storytime.

A bit painful as far as the Ringo read-through goes. I do like that there's a 'karaoke' version of the song with just the music that would allow the reader to sing their own way through the book.
Camie
Other Children's Book of the Month Selection .. whoops missed the cancellation deadline. This is suggested for age 4-8. Comes with a CD of the Beatles song. My GK's will probably enjoy it. It's a silly song. Haven't listened to this version , as it will be a gift. The text is simple.I think the pictures are cute and colorful. I usually like to choose my own books.
Samantha
Love the song, making it a picture book was sure to happen eventually, but I can't say this book makes much of a splash for me.

The artwork is cartoony and the octopus isn't nearly as memorable as he ought to be. The CD is included which makes for a fun read aloud experience for PreK-2.
Meghan
Apr 21, 2014 Meghan added it
Shelves: multicultural
This book is great for children who like to use their imagination. It tells about a boy and his friends who wish they lived in an octopus's garden. It can be used to allow children to come up with their own ideas of places they would like to go which lets them use their imagination and creativity.
Sarah Herrington
The illustrations in this book were vibrant and wonderful, but there just wasn't much to the book. I mean the words are a song, so I don't know that I should've expected much. Maybe just a bit more descriptive writing or a more engaging story?
Elizabeth
Fun brightly colored art. Might be hard to do as a story time, because you have to rotate some of the pages. BUT, this version I have was a book WITH a cd, so that might make it easier, if I'm not worried about reading it.
Elisabeth
I understand that no illustrator could come even close to the images I have conjured up in my head after listening to this song a million times...however these illustrations seem particularly commercial and soulless.
Mary
This book illustrates the lyrics of Octopus's Garden by the Beatles. If you know the song, it's nice to sing the words, and even if you don't, the illustrations are beautiful. Great for an ECE audience!
Katie Casey
My little Beatles maniac loves this one! Plus it came with a CD with Ringo singing and reading along with the book.

The book is word-for-word of the classic song of the same title.
Kris Odahowski
Some vibrant illustration bring Ringo Starr's lyrics to young children, more effort should have been made to make the text flow with the all of the illustrations.
Heather
Absolute rubbish. I picked this up in Waterstones thinking it was a story book but it is more like an illustrated song. Very poorly done.
Raegan Rocco
Wow...so many great new picture books today! This one will definitely be used in storytime for my music theme! Thanks Ringo and Ben!
Sue Maloney
Maybe it's mostly nostalgia value, but it's cute and you can sing along. And it's Ringo! ;-) (and it dates me, but that's ok)
Lisa
i loved the pictures in the book they were beautiful and fun and whimsical i liked how lyrical the story was and the idea
Norkett
We enjoyed singing along to this one. The illustrations were quite nice too.
Zach
Bit like Butlins really
Marissa Morrison
The spoken-word version on the CD made me smile. Starr delivers the text as though giving a gift to kids, which of course he is.
Great Books
Come visit an octopus's garden in this colorfully illustrated picture book of the classic Beatles song.

Reviewer 10
Jo Sorrell
Jun 12, 2013 Jo Sorrell marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Coming out 10/24/2013
Annie Smith
Annie Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
20128
Richard Starkey, MBE, better known by his stage name Ringo Starr, is an Academy Award-winning English musician, singer, songwriter and actor, best known as the drummer for The Beatles. He was the oldest member of the band, and the last to join the "Fab Four" line up. He now enjoys a successful solo career.
More about Ringo Starr...
Postcards from the Boys Photograph Octopus's Garden (Library Edition) Postcards From The Boys The Beatles Anthology