Start by marking “Bear's Loose Tooth” as Want to Read:
Bear's Loose Tooth

Bear's Loose Tooth (Bear)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  855 ratings  ·  102 reviews
In this Classic Board Book edition of Bear's Loose Tooth, Bear's friends help him deal with his first loose tooth!

From a cave in the forest
as Bear and his friends
all nibbled on their lunch.

Bear and his friends are munching on their lunch when all of sudden… Bear feels something wiggling and wobbling in his mouth. Oh no! What can it be? It’s Be
Board Book, 34 pages
Published January 7th 2014 by Little Simon (first published August 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bear's Loose Tooth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear's Loose Tooth

Bear and his friends are eating lunch in the forest when suddenly he feels a wibble-wobble in his mouth. What is it? Bear's got a loose tooth! This sets up the premise for the story, as all of his animal friends rally round and try to help him get the tooth out in all manner of funny ways.

Children will love the rhyming nature of the book and the refrain of "Bear's loose TOOTH!" at the end of most verses. The variety of characters also makes this a great book to read aloud. You can also use funny
Tonya Branch
Caldecott Award Choice

This is a cute story about a bear who has a loose tooth. The story begins as Bear and his friends are eating lunch in the forest. Everything is fine until Bear feels something "wiggle and wobble" inside of his mouth. It was his loose tooth. All of his friends Hare, Mouse, Owl, and Badger, tried to pull the tooth out. They struggled and struggled "but the tooth wouldn't budge." Then, Bear used his tongue to push the tooth back and forth and the tooth finally came out and all
 photo bear2_zpscdc4b0e7.jpg

BEAR'S LOOSE TOOTH is such a big hit at our house. My boys LOVE this story.

The title basically says it all. Bear does indeed loose his tooth. Every single time I read this book, my kids giggle and laugh. They love the pictures. It's hands down one of the best kids books we've had the pleasure of reading at bedtime.

Definitely a favorite in my household. We love Bear and all his friends.
Amanda Snow
Originally published at

Karma Wilson's "Bear" books are some of my favorite to read aloud. The rhymes are always done really well in terms of flow and the silliness of the story comes through perfectly.

In this latest Bear installment, poor Bear has a loose tooth! He's worried about what it means to have a loose tooth, until his faithful friends come to his rescue, as they always do. If you've read the other stories, you'll know Bear is a big worrywart and his friends ar
Nov 19, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
I LOVE Karma Wilson's Bear books with Jane Chapman's illustrations! This one is perfect to get children used to the idea that they, too, will lose their baby teeth and that it's nothing to fear.

"As Bear nibbled food,
something moved when he chewed!
It was...

Surrounded by adorably drawn friends who offer support and encouragement, Bear wiggles his loose tooth free and, after a visit from the tooth fairy, is happily enjoying breakfast with his friends when...
Michelle McBeth
SUMMARY: Bear is eating with his friends, but notices something unusual. He has a tooth that is loose. His friends tell him not to worry and that they will help. One by one they try to pull out the tooth, but they are all too small to get the job done. It is bear, with his strong tongue who gets the tooth out. The fiends also tell hm not to worry because new tooth will grow in its place. Cute surprise ending.

ILLUSTRATIONS: In typical Bear style, the pictures are cute and colorful, giving you ple
Megan Willis
SO CUTE! I have read this book to my class and we got a variety of activities out of it, including comma practice, making lists, story elements, dental hygiene, and creative writing prompts. The characters are adorable. Having a loose tooth is something that my first graders can relate to and are excited about!
Michelle Nero
We read this book and my 3 year olds learn that they will lose their baby teeth just like Bear. Also their first introduction to the tooth fairy. "But I don't want berries like Bear, " my daughter said. :)
Jenn C
I love the Bear books by Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman (actually, I love anything written by Karma Wilson, but that's besides the point ;) Bear's Loose Tooth, while engaging, is not my favourite of the bear books (but then, nothing beats the original, either). Mouse's lines were the same from the original (which, since I have a "mouse voice", I remember distinctly). I read this to the preschoolers when we were talking about teeth. Of course, everyone then had to show me their teeth... ;)
Taril Slater
Bear's Loose Tooth by Karma Wilson depicts a bear who encounters a loose tooth while eating lunch with his friends. They ease his concerns about his loose tooth and reassure him that loosing a tooth is a natural occurrence in life. This book is another cute story that everyone can relate to. It is a story that younger kids will be able to connect with and want to know more about. I would use the book to have students discuss how they felt when they lost their first tooth and the teeth following ...more
Bear's Loose Tooth is a book about Bear whose tooth must be loose, for as he ate he heard MUNCHING and CRUNCHING! Bear's forest friends came from all around looking to help their friend Bear with his tooth scenario. They warned him not to fret, though, because a new tooth would come in once the old one fell out. His small bird friend, Wren, came to give it a tug, but her smallish size just wouldn't do. Then Owl grabbed the tooth and gave a mighty pull, but Bear's tooth was stuck! Finally, Bear g ...more
The adventure's of Bear continue in this tale of loosing teeth. Bear's eating with his friends one day when he notices that one of his teeth is wiggling. His friends assure him that losing teeth is normal and a few take turns trying to get the loose tooth all the way out. Finally Bear just wiggles the tooth with his tongue and it falls out. He puts the tooth next to his bed where, in the middle of the night, the tooth fairy exchanges it for blueberries.
1. Audience: This book has very colorful pictures, it is short, and easy to read. The book is also playful and I think it would be best read to kindergarten through second graders.
2. Appeal: The main characters in this book are animals and it talks about life lessons that children these ages can relate to. The book also is repetitive.
3. Activity: I would talk about how we all loose teeth and some of them come out easier than others. I would also talk about friendship and how friends help you o
If you're a fan of Wilson's other Bear books, you're sure to enjoy this sweet story about Bear's surprise upon discovering a loose tooth. Delightful illustrations accompany Bear's journey as his friends help him wiggle it loose and a fairy leaves him a sweet treat in return. A lovely read for kids who are losing their first tooth or during storytimes. Recommended.
Denise Kettering
I love reading Karma Wilson's books out loud because they have a wonderful rhythm and cadence. This one does not disappoint as it is fun to read, beautifully illustrated by Jane Chapman and tells a helpful story about losing baby teeth. All of the friendly characters from the woods are back to help bear out.
Dominique St-pierre
I liked this sweet book about Bear losing a tooth. As usual, all the friends are sweet and try to help. I used the book in my classroom to help Kindergarteners make predictions - which also encouraged asking questions, talking to one another and accessing background knowledge. The illustrations are beautiful.
Oct 23, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, rhyming, 2011
We have loved Karma Wilson's Bear books for years. They were some of the first books that I reviewed here on Goodreads. Our girls are getting a little old for these stories, but thankfully they still humor me. Our youngest is getting ready to loose some teeth, so this story is particularly appropriate.

The rhymes aren't quite as fluid and rhythmic as they are for Bear Snores On, but the illustrations are just as adorable and our girls love the repetition - they will often finish the sentences fo
Rhonda K
We love Karma Wilson books, along with Bear and all his friends. This is a great read if you have a young one who is anticipating losing that first tooth or already has. Easy rhyming dialogue and playful artwork from Jane Chapman.
Nanci Booher
In Bear's Loose Tooth, Bear discovers something wiggly in his mouth when eats. No matter how hard his friends try to get his tooth out, it just won't come out. Told in rhyming text, with great illustrations, this is yet another fantastic Bear book by Karma Wilson.
Angela Hutchinson
Read to students. This is a great book for early elementary students because these children are beginning to lose their teeth during this time. This is a funny book about a bear that is losing a tooth and gets assistance from his friends.
Katy Bennett
Nothing earth-shaking here. Bear feels a wobbly tooth in his mouth and his friends try to help him get it out. Would be ok for a child experiencing their first loose teeth, but kind of a stretch for bear and friends.
We love all the Bear books and this one did not disappoint. I checked it out when my oldest got his first loose tooth. It was a hit with both of my children. Beautiful illustrations and a cute little story.
Dava Fletter
The subject of loosing a tooth is perfect for kindergarten and first grade. February is dental awareness month so this read a loud goes great with the Scholastic reader this month.
Kelsey Peterson
In this book Bear was just going on with a normal day, until he is having lunch with his friend's and his tooth comes out. Bear's friends explain to him that it is normal to loose your baby teeth, so your adult ones can grow in place of them. This book shows that the support and knowledge of your friends can be helpful when you are in a situation and your not sure of what should or could happen. So I would use this book in the younger elementary grades beacuse they are still loosing their baby t ...more
We love the bear books by Karma Wilson at our house, so was no surprise to find we loved this new addition to our collection too. Fantastic stories.
I love Karma Wilson. This book is good for kids who have their first loose tooth, or second.
Melissa Lampe
Audience: Primary

Genre: Realistic Fiction

Have you ever heard of a bear loosing his tooth? In Bear's Loose Tooth, Bear starts nibbling on his food and something moved when he chewed. He had a loose tooth. Bear was so worried he would not be able to eat, so his friends the hare, mouse, and wren tried different strategies to pull Bear's tooth out and none of them were successful. Then, all the sudden Bear pushed his tooth with his tongue and his tooth popped out. You'll never guess what Bear got
I love Bear! I love Bear and all his friends, and how they make a community - family they picked! It makes life better when there is someone to help when you are down, be brave when you are scared, celebrate with you when there is joy - Bear and his friends demonstrate that so reliably, every book!

This one - well, every kid gets that first loose tooth - everyone in the family volunteers to help pull it - and eventually, you get your own tongue under there and out it pops! Beautiful illustrations
I liked that the tooth fairy left Bear some blueberries in place of his tooth!
My boys love this book. They are at the loose tooth age and can relate to bear.
  • Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed
  • Bailey
  • Llama Llama Time to Share
  • The Terrible Plop
  • The Wonderful Book
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Dog in Boots
  • Happy Pig Day! (Elephant & Piggie, #16)
  • Froggy Goes to Hawaii
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Mr. Duck Means Business
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • King Jack and the Dragon
  • ZooZical
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...

Bear (10 books)