Start by marking “Death in Blue Folders (Sigrid Harald Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Death in Blue Folders (Sigrid Harald Mystery #3)

Death in Blue Folders

(Sigrid Harald #3)

A bullet sends a prominent lawyer into permanent retirement amid a bonfire of blackmail papers, and Harald finds a filing cabinet brimming with suspects and motives. Wading through a flurry of forged documents, trust funds, and contested annuities, Harald searches for one missing file--the one marked M for murder.
Hardcover, Large Print, 400 pages
Published June 1st 1992 by Ulverscroft (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Death in Blue Folders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in Blue Folders

Barbara
Oct 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly three stars...a good book. It got four stars for:
"It reminded Sigrid of diagraming complex-compound sentences in seventh-grade English classes, an ordeal for others but strangely
satisfying for her."
Polly
Good solid mystery from a good solid mystery writer! It's an unpopular viewpoint, but I kind of prefer Sigrid Harald to Deborah Knott--as I've said, I like my mysteries to be mostly about the mystery rather than the detective, and I like New York City much better than I think I'd like North Carolina--never been there, so I can't be certain--being a northern, urban kind of person. I like the historical aspect of this particular book, with fictional famous characters from twenties and thirties Hol ...more
Nicole
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Margaret Maron's later work and was excited to read one of her earlier works. Her solid writing style and plot twists were present in this book. The main character, Sigrid, is someone that I would like to learn more about. She appears very stoic with some quirkiness just below the surface. Interesting mysteries within the main mystery. Most importantly, short chapters and a dead body right away (the ingredients of a good mystery, per my Mama!).
Wanda
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigrid is a detective in the NYPD. She is investigating the murder of a lawyer. The more she finds out about the guy the more suspects she has. He had been blackmailing sveral people and she has to find out why and who OMG them killed him.
In the meantime two others associated with him are murdered with the same gun. She and her partner track down lots of leads before finally figuring it out. She also is in the process of finding a new place to live which adds a little extra stress to her life.
En
Christine Cody
This is the second book of this series I have read. In both, although I've enjoyed the books quite a bit, the endings left me cold. I don't think it is a SPOILER to reveal that, in both books, after investigating complicated cases with numerous leads, both real and false, Harald realizes that the murderer is a very likeable person, if not the most likeable among a large "cast" of characters. With each book, it put a damper on the resolution because it was very sad and was going to make very good ...more
Mary Garrett
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many tangled webs! I loved following the myriad clues, teasing out the possible answers to the varied puzzles. Also enjoyable were the side plots of formalwear, apartment hunting, friendship and family and the elegance of writing. I have just begun this series, and am looking forward to many more.
Betty
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cause of Actions

Errors, typos annoying. Roman, Tillie are developing nicely. Captain McKinnon's backstory interesting, not sure believable. Sigrid is a detective. Glad the apartment situation settled. I bet on the wrong horse in this whodunit.

Need more on Sigrid and Naumman's relationship. Needs to be fleshed out. Sigrid doesn't have "friends or flames" and other than the Art department murder of their initial meeting there is no earthly reason for this overbearing, conceited artist to think tw
Tobinsfavorite
I picked this up from the library because it was there and looked somewhat interesting. It is somewhat interesting.
I wavered back and forth about how much I liked it; it was easy reading, not completely obvious, and kept me turning pages, but somehow it's not compelling.

That said, I went back and read the first one...
Susan
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read all of the Deborah Knot books by Maron and enjoyed them, but for some reason I had never bothered to read any of the Sigrid Harald books. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and have found myself enjoying them.
Virginia Adi
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed this one!
Erin
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw the solution coming, but it was a fun puzzle mystery. I was actually expecting more character development, but the story stayed on plot the whole time.
Mary
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A clever mystery.
Jerry B
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigrid Harald, #3 of 8, well done!

"Folders" follows the basic form of most of Maron's titles -- a murder occurs fairly early in the tale, as here, often in chapter one; and we work the clues and the successor crimes with Sigrid and her police colleagues until she nabs her crook. Usually the character descriptions and set changes are what I've heretofore referred to as "minimalist", yet make no mistake that Maron is a fine writer who conveys anything she really wishes to with little difficulty.

T
Linda Brue
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm of big fan of Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott series, and I've been starting to read her Sigrid Harald series. This is the third in that series. I'm finding it difficult to get ahold of these books; I've bought two used, and I'm trying to get the rest through inter-library loan.

I find Sigrid to be an extremely interesting character. She's complex, a bit standoffish, and doesn't suffer fools gladly. She's worked hard to get where she is.

Death in Blue Folders is about a lawyer who seems to hav
Suzi
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am reading all of the Sigrid Harald series after I read Corpus Christmas over the holidays. I don't know how I missed them since I really enjoy all of Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott books, her stand alones, and her short stories. Here Sigrid finds a new home and wears a formal gown, lipstick and nail polish. And solves an interesting murder or two or three with help from Tillie, as usual. I love seeing Sigrid reveal herself to be the lovely person she is. Looking forward to the 2017 Sigrid, to ...more
Lynda
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, third in the Sigrid Harald series because it filled in the gaps in Deborah Knott's background in that series by the same author. A lawyer is found dead in his office with many of his files burned and the office in disarray.
Sigrid, a New York City detective and her team must investigate. They discover that all of the clients whose cases are in "blue folders" had secrets that could be motives for murder. An interesting side theme is Sigrid's search for a new apartment. it struck
Barbara
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I really enjoy the Deborah Knott mysteries by this author, so I decided to try this one as well. This series is not as satisfying.

The heroine, Sigrid Harald, is a bit of an 'ice queen'. While the author does give enough clues and explanations of her past, that help you understand her current state and situation, she is still a bit too much of a cold fish to really like. She is sympathetic, but just not still quite likable.

She is intelligent and very capable in her job. She does very well in so
Kilian Metcalf
These books just do not speak to me the way the Judge Deborah Knott books do. They seem very dated, and yes, I know that they were written several years ago. Agatha Christie's books and those of Dorothy Sayers were written decades ago and still seem fresh. I'm also not a fan of police procedural, and I don't like the main characters. So why am I reading them? Because eventually Judge Knott is coming to New York, and the two will meet. I want to know Sigrid the way I know Deborah. I expect they a ...more
Ellen Moore
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read (and own) Margaret Maron's complete NC series about Judge Deborah Knott but had not read any of her books about NY police detective Lt. Sigrid Harald until now. I found it to be well written and interesting. I don't think this book sounds anything like her later NC series or as if the same person wrote. both. The investigation proceeds in an orderly, thorough manner; but the solution is not apparent to me until the end. Some personal information was included about Sigrid--a formal da ...more
Abbey
An expensive lawyer has extremely expensive tastes, and resorts to blackmail to increase his income. When he's murdered and some of his "special" files are burned, it's up to Lt. Sigrid Harald and Sgt. Tildon of the New York City Police to tease out the various unsavory things he'd been up to, in order to find out which of his marks had killed him.

The answers are convoluted, the paths leading there even more so, and the characters wonderful, especially Sigrid, always a favorite of mine. Solid,
Sharla
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This mystery series features great characters and a New York setting. This one involves a murdered lawyer with a cache of blue file folders that contain sensitive information about lots of people. Appearances to the contrary, this respected lawyer has been engaging in a lucrative blackmailing business. Sigrid Harald and her side-kick Tilden (nickname Tillie) follow numerous fascinating paths to the inevitable conclusion. The killer may have been the obvious choice but the ending will bring you u ...more
Elizabeth
I am so glad that this series is being reprinted in these lovely volumes.My only regret is that so far only three are available. The setting is New York City and the main character is the unusual, deep and quiet Sigrid Harald who is developing nicely as the series progresses. This particular story revolves around the murder of a lawyer who keep private records in blue folders for 'special clients' . Sigrid and partner Tillie slowly unravel the stories behind the blue folder clients in a very eng ...more
Ed
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#3 in the NYPD Lt. Sigrid Harald series.

NYPD Lt. Sigrid Harald series - Attorney Clayton Gladwell keeps 'special' cases in blue folders that only he can access, but when Gladwell announces his impending retirement, someone decides that Blue Folder secrets aren't safe unless everyone connected to them is dead. From a long-dead movie star, the owner of a trendy art gallery, and an Algonquin Roundtable personality to a senile resident in a nursing home and a broken-down cleaning woman, Lt. Harald m
Diane Heath
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The book Three Day Town is where Deborah Knott and Sigrid Harald meet. Kate's appearance in this book shows the timeline as Jake is still alive. Kate being a person in the Deborah Knott books. The author's introduction to the Harald books points out that changes in technology are to be ignored as much as possible. The current technology would not allow one mysteries solution to stand.
Bill
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling mystery. A murdered lawyer who was planning to retire and had some special files on clients that was worth being killed for. Two other murders along the way and a surprise ending allows it to be a good read.
Kathy Nealen

Plenty of suspects in this third episode for Sigrid Harald, although I was correct with my choice of the primary suspect.
Julia Hendon
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This series is definitely not as well developedas the author's later one but it is still a pleasant diversion.
Fran
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very predictable
Lynne
Oct 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what an ending! MM is usually not so shocking at the end. Sagrid is becoming more and more of an interesting person and her kindnesses in this book were enlightening.

Lori
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books, mystery
nobody was who they seemed to be in this book
  • Bimbos of the Death Sun (Jay Omega, #1)
  • The Case Of The Shapely Shadow
  • Gypsy in Amber
  • Maggody in Manhattan (Arly Hanks, #6)
  • The Busy Body
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)
  • My First Murder -xld: A Mavis Davis Mystery
  • Set Sail for Murder (Henrie O, #7)
  • Delete All Suspects (Turing Hopper, #4)
  • Deadly Wedding (Deadly, #2)
  • Good Blood (Gideon Oliver, #11)
  • The Day the Rabbi Resigned
  • Ask the Cards a Question
  • Delectable Mountains (Benni Harper, #12)
  • The Maltese Manuscript (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #5)
  • The House of Brass (Ellery Queen Detective, #32)
  • The Withdrawing Room (Kelling & Bittersohn, #2)
Born and raised in central North Carolina, Margaret Maron lived in Italy before returning to the USA where she and her husband now live. In addition to a collection of short stories she's also the author of 16 mystery novels. Her works have been translated into seven languages her Bootlegger's Daughter, a Washington Post Bestseller won Edgar Anthony, Agatha, and Macavity awards. She is a past pres ...more

Sigrid Harald (9 books)
  • One Coffee With (Sigrid Harald, #1)
  • Death of a Butterfly (Sigrid Harald, #2)
  • The Right Jack (Sigrid Harald, #4)
  • Baby Doll Games (Sigrid Harald, #5)
  • Corpus Christmas (Sigrid Harald, #6)
  • Past Imperfect (Sigrid Harald, #7)
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald, #8)
  • Take Out