Start by marking “Chestnut Street” as Want to Read:
Chestnut Street

Chestnut Street

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  10,472 ratings  ·  1,457 reviews
Maeve Binchy imagined a street in Dublin with many characters coming and going, and every once in a while she would write about one of these people. She would then put it in a drawer; “for the future,” she would say. The future is now.

Across town from St. Jarlath’s Crescent, featured in Minding Frankie, is Chestnut Street, where neighbors come and go. Behind their closed
Published April 22nd 2014 by Knopf (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Chestnut Street, please sign up.
Donna If you love Maeve, I believe you will love Chestnut Street. Though I was sad to to the core there would be no more long, beautifully spun books, I was…moreIf you love Maeve, I believe you will love Chestnut Street. Though I was sad to to the core there would be no more long, beautifully spun books, I was grateful for this collection of short stories. They are pure Maeve, very satisfying with a wise lesson in in each one--adding up to a lot of wisdom about life. It did make me think. (less)
Holly It was published in 2014 after Binchey's death. Apparently, this is a collection of stories (some published previously and some new ones) about differ…moreIt was published in 2014 after Binchey's death. Apparently, this is a collection of stories (some published previously and some new ones) about different characters who all live on Chestnut Street. It was very a very good read. (Oops - no pun intended.) Satisfying.(less)

·  10,472 ratings  ·  1,457 reviews

Start your review of Chestnut Street
Mary Lins
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: complete
It’s bittersweet to turn the final page of Maeve Binchy’s, “Chestnut Street” novel, knowing that it’s probably the last original set of Binchy stories and characters. For those of us who have loved and looked forward to her work, we at least have her many past novels and collections to re-read through the years. Her voice is distinctive, her prose simple, she is kind to her characters and forgiving to their very real and recognizable all-too-human foibles. She will live forever through these che ...more
Suzanne
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore this writer! Maeve is simply the best. I was glad to stumble across this audio cd at my library, but will need to seek out the hard copy to read Gordon Snell’s contribution at the start. He is Maeve’s husband that ensured her last piece could be published.

This was a collection of many short stories, some of which were old residents of books gone by. I did not recognise these as I have been reading Maeve’s books since my first reading of adult books in my teenage years, and my memory is a
Clare O'Beara
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading Maeve Binchy is like wrapping yourself in a warm blanket and sipping alternately from a glass of lemon juice and a cup of cocoa. I can't tell you how pleased I was to have another of her works to read.

Over the years, Maeve would jot down observations from her life as a journalist and novelist in Dublin and London. She'd create stories involving fictional Chestnut Street in Dublin, and put them in a drawer 'for later'. As the decades passed these became a record of Ireland's changing soc
Anne
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
When I reviewed A Week In Winter last March, I was sad that it was probably the last book we'd see with Maeve Binchy's name on the cover. But no - on 24 April, Chestnut Street will be published by Orion in hardback and for Kindle, and I was delighted to secure an advance reading e-copy from the publishers and netgalley.

I think it's fair to say that this really is one for Maeve Binchy fans - it isn't a novel, but a series of short stories rather than a coherent whole. The common element is Chestn
Phrynne
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this one five stars because I think it may be a final tribute to a delightful author who has held us spellbound with her beautiful books over many years. Chestnut Street is a collection of short stories about the residents of the street and every syllable is vintage Maeve Binchy. Her characters are so delightfully old fashioned and nearly always end up doing the right thing so that,as the reader, you can relax and just go with the flow. No tension, no stress, just an enjoyable ride. I ...more
Kate
May 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
I almost gave this book one star as I really didn't like it, but I love Maeve Binchy. On the positive side, it is interesting to think about how many different personalities live on one street. Other then that, I didn't really like the book. Most of the stories were depressing and the characters were not likable. For most of the book, I was glad that i was finished with each chapter just so I could be done with that storyline.
Michele
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
I have read & loved other of the author's works but this one was just not very engaging. It is a series of short stories with the only common thread is that at least one of the persons in each of the stories lived on Chestnut Street.

As can be expected in a collection of short stories, I liked some of the stories more than others but very few really "grabbed" me. Some ended with a character learning something about themselves or their lives and there was the impression that their lives were about
Beth
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Maeve Binchy died in 2012, but she left this group of related stories unpublished. The collections has now been put together and given the title "Chestnut Street" after the neighborhood/street in Dublin, Ireland, where each of the stories takes place.

While the stories were written over many years and there is no continuing plot line, many characters reappear in various stores. They are both interesting and well-drawn.

This is a nice final collection to add to the Binchy canon.
Ann
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't like Maeve Binchy books. Chestnut Street is a multi generational story . Set in Dublin, Ireland this is a wonderful story of a small community street in transition. Families come and go or just grow older and have the sons and daughters stay in the home. This book is good for so many different readers, young and old alike. A glimpse of life in the Irish 80's through today. The characters are easy to like and so real you think they could be your neighbor and that you yourself would fi ...more
☮Karen
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Binche's last book of short stories, with a common theme among them of various residents who lived on Chestnut Street in Dublin at different times. The stories are observations on relationships of all sorts: families, marriages, breakups, affairs, divorces galore, business associates, gay partners, girlfriends, children, elderly parents -- pretty much the entire gamut of possibilities. Some stories are more interesting and touching than others, and some seemed unfinished or in need of a final ed ...more
Book Concierge
Audiobook read by Sale Bermingham
3.5***

From the book jacket: Maeve Binchy imagined a street in Dublin with many characters coming and going, and every once in a while she would write about one of these people. She would then put the story in a drawer, “for the future,” she would say. (This collection of short stories was published after Binchy’s death.)

My Reactions
Binchy does a great job of giving us a picture of a neighborhood. Characters come in contact with one another, interact, leave, and r
noor
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mood-readers
The novel consists of various short stories. The underlying theme to many of them was (view spoiler) but there were other kinds. I really liked the book because its great for mood reading. The stories have different characters but sometimes the characters low-key featured in another story so its really cool. I can read whatever story whenever depending on my mood. I would definitely recommend this book for something like this. ...more
Marianne
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chestnut Street is the final book by popular Irish author, Maeve Binchy. It is a collection of thirty-six short stories, all with some relation to Chestnut Street, Dublin (just around the corner from St Jarlath’s Crescent, another address well-known to Binchy fans). Most of the stories have not been published previously, but some have a rather unfinished feel, as if they are the first chapter of a longer story. This idea is reinforced by the inclusion of the first chapter of Star Sullivan (a fir ...more
Glenn
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A nice collection of short stories that all take place on a fictitious street in Dublin. Some of the stories are a little maudlin, but over all this is a good example of Maeve Binchy's writing. One of the foremost story tellers of all time. Makes me a little sad that I've read all of her published works...
Una Tiers
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A collection of stories in the Maeve Binchy style, no stress and delightful characters. I loved the first story most. It was about a teenage girl growing up and reflecting on her mother.
Sterlingcindysu
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another wonderful book of short stories based in Dublin by Maeve Binchy. All them take place in houses on Chestnut Street and some characters go in and out of each other's stories.

This is her last book, and while I can go back and see if there's any I missed, I will miss seeing a new book from her knowing it will be a light, enjoyable read.
Janice Boychuk
37 Short Stories
12 hours 45 minutes on Audio

Thanks to A Stitcher's Book Club Buddy Picks for choosing this for me!

I've been a long time fan of Maeve Binchy. She was an amazing storyteller, creating captivating stories about regular people and the daily dramas, tragedies, love and other events that happen in their regular lives. The fact that this collection is centred around one neighbourhood street in Ireland is really quite fantastic! I mean, how much can happen? Apparently, lots. But then aga
Grace J Reviewerlady
This is a book published after the author's death, but it is one which was always intended. Stories of different characters with only the street where they reside in common, these tales were penned over the years and kept in a drawer exactly for this purpose.
Maeve Binchy demonstrates her sharp perception of the differing characters ... young, old, single, coupled and from every walk of life. The perfect book to keep at your bedside and read a story every now and then, and wait for the penny to d
Lee
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Warning: Brutally honest review.
I admit, this book is totally not my style and I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I picked this book up from the library. I was unaware of the fact that it was short stories. I thought it would read more along the lines of a novel. I could not have been more mistaken. I love a good novel; one set of characters from start to finish. Chestnut Street is about a neighborhood, and through the pages you meet everyone living on that street.
This book wa
JoAnne Pulcino
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
CHESTNUT STREET

Maeve Binchy

I'm sorry to say that CHESTNUT STREET is Ms. Binchy's final book, and it goes without saying she and her talented magic will be missed!!!

I don't usually read short stories, but since this one was so special, I read it and found it was a wonderful read. Ms. Binchy's marvelous writing that captures her fondness for her home and county is again a joy to read.

She was a gigantic talent and her legacy will live forever!
Jo Dervan
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it

These thirty eight short stories about the people who live on a charming street in Dublin were written as short stories or columns in newspaper by Maeve Binchey in her final years. The main characters are often women who are under appreciated or involved with men who are wrong for them. Although I am a Binchey fan, I felt that the stories were too short to enjoy fully.
Kate
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
A little bittersweet, since Binchy is deceased, but I'm so glad to be reading something new by her. Loved Chestnut Street and all it's inhabitants, it's like driving through a nice street and peeking into everyone's living room and they've got the curtains thrown wide open. Binchy creates such wonderful and realistic characters, her stories literally warm the cockles of my heart... whatever the hell cockles are. Mine are warmed right at this moment. :)
Richa Bhattarai
Tedious and often nonsensical stories.
And I'm a Maeve Binchy fan.
Nancy
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
It seems kind of snarky and crass to trash a Maeve Binchy book. I know she’s beloved by women of a certain age—OK, my age. She’s a warm cup of tea with an old friend, a comfortable afghan, chocolate chip cookies for the reader’s soul, yada yada. And I really liked ‘Circle of Friends’ and ‘Tara Road.’

But this book of short stories is a snooze. The beauty of a Binchy cozy-read is how characters develop over long stretches of time and stories spin out. In short form, Binchy seems to lose her train
Stacy
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short stories are not my favorite, but Maeve Binchy always manages to wow me with her characters and situations. The stories are stand-alone, but in some cases, the characters show up in other stories.
Shabneez
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maeve Binchy gets people so right!

I loved these short stories. They were warm and human.

I'm glad I stumbled upon her books 9 years ago. I love them <3
Carol
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Maeve Binchy’s Chestnut Street is marvelous. It was a real treat to hear Sile Bermingham read the stories some finished and some not. This reader managed Irish accents beautifully. Ms. Bermingham had me catching the way the Irish speak the end of the sentence and love the lilt of it. Maeve Binchy passed away in July 2012. I am so glad that her stories in this audio version were published.

I have enjoyed Maeve Binchy’s books so much that I did not want her to die! Her writing is so full of emotion
Don
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you've never read anything by Maeve Binchy, you are really missing some wonderful writing. This short story collection might be a great place to start. Binchy's deep and profound understanding of people and of the human condition is clearly evident in each entry.

What binds these stories together is that all of them deal with people who live on or have a connection with Chestnut Street, a fictional Dublin thoroughfare. It's a little difficult to describe just what makes these stories so startl
Priscilla Herrington
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a gift to those of her fans who miss Maeve Binchy!

Chestnut Street is a collection of short - some quite short - stories about people whose common denominator is living on Chestnut Street - a crescent of some thirty houses. According to the note from Binchy's husband, Gordon Snell in the beginning of the book, the stories were written over a period of several decades, with the intention of their eventually being brought together in one book. Snell has performed this service.

There is little I
Donna LaValley
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I give this 5 stars because it served as a finale of a kind, published after Maeve Binchy's death. I also like to give 5 to any book that I'd like to read again. It isn't deep literary fiction, but it's very satisfying.

There are 36 short stories or vignettes, all related to Chestnut Street in Dublin. Generally each includes residents of the neighborhood, and characters appear in more than one story. Only one story seemed "incomplete" to me. I understood that these were found in her notebooks and

• Hard Light
  • Possessions
  • Pot of Gold
  • In the Shadow of the Bridge: A Memoir
  • Sea Breezes at Brightwater Bay
  • The Trader's Reward (The Traders, #5)
Maeve Binchy was born on 28 May 1940 in Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland, the eldest child of four. Her parents were very positive and provided her with a happy childhood. Although she described herself as an overweight child, her parents' attitude gave her the confidence to accept herself for who she was.

She studied at University College Dublin and was a teacher for a while. She also loved travelin