Start by marking “Dispara, yo ya estoy muerto” as Want to Read:
Dispara, yo ya estoy muerto

Dispara, yo ya estoy muerto

Hay momentos en la vida en los que la única manera de salvarse a uno mismo es muriendo o matando.

A finales del siglo XIX, durante la última etapa zarista, los Zucker, perseguidos por ser judíos, tienen que abandonar Rusia huyendo del horror y la sinrazón. A su llegada a la Tierra Prometida, Samuel Zucker adquiere las tierras de los Ziad, una familia árabe encabezada por Ah
Published September 17th 2013 by Vintage Espanol

To ask other readers questions about Dispara, yo ya estoy muerto, please sign up.
Aroha López Córdoba Yo creo que precisamente en mi, ha tenido el efecto contrario. No podría posicionarme de ninguna manera. Me parece q cuenta la historia de un conflict…moreYo creo que precisamente en mi, ha tenido el efecto contrario. No podría posicionarme de ninguna manera. Me parece q cuenta la historia de un conflicto desde el lado mas humano, y resaltando los valores. Sin dejar de ser una novela, claro está. (less)

Start your review of Dispara, yo ya estoy muerto
Tea Jovanović
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great historical fiction, for those that like authors like Idelfonso Falcones and Ken Follett... I fell in love with her writing years ago when I was her Serbian editor... I had the pleasure to meet both Falcones and Navarro at the same time at the same party at Frankfurt Book Fair, although I've bought rights for their books for two different Serbian publishers... :) In general, Spanish literature has very good authors of historical fiction, with well researched and well written books, but they ...more
Vavita
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr2020
This historical fiction book tells the story of two families over three generations. It starts with the friendship of Samuel, a Jewish boy from Russia in the times of the Tsar (end of the 19th century), and Ahmed, a boy whose family has deep Arab roots and have lived all his life in Palestine. It is a very fair account from both points of view of the Arab-Israeli conflict. Really a book that needs to be in everybody's bookshelf!

The only reason why I don't give it 5 stars is because I found that,
Jose
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an exceptional Tour de Force. This book is a masterpiece in terms of historical data, characterization, narrative figures, etc.
Being the book's topic a complex one to write about, Julia Navarro accomplished to put together a novel of huge sentimental charge but avoiding any type of judgmental inclination towards any of the cases presented.
A novel that recites a century of human mobility and tragedy as well as the mentality found in each of the characters that played parts through these hi
Ariadna73
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, literature
Incredibly long and full of detail, peppered with unnecessary hyperbole like "her infinitely black eyes...". Too baroque for my taste, but I can concede that it might be a good pass-time for very young readers. In my opinion, the very same story could be told in 75 pages or less.
Lourdes Clark
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Julia Navarro is one of my favorite authors, in this book she masterfully portrays two families whose lives are intertwined by love, hate, desperation and a desire to overcome the difficult reality of Israeli and Palestinian conflict.
Valeria
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am so disappointed on this book. It was recommended by many people so I was super eager to read it. This book tries to retell the story of Jews and Palestinian Arabs over the territory of Samaria and Judea by trying to engage the reader into the lives of two different groups of people, Jews and Palestinian Arabs. Even though the story is tried to be presented as a neutral one I believe it really fails to do so . The only thing that was presented neutrally were the historical facts. Some of the ...more
Rosbel
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
Probably the best historical novel I've read so far. It is a great choice if you want to learn about 1900s history in Russia, Europe, and Jerusalem, including, the beginning of Israel as a new country.

It hooked me from the beginning, I enjoyed the characters and the story. Every time a chapter ended I wish I could get more and more details. This book connects so many stories through one family from Poland, there are definitely many gaps, for which you need to use your imagination and do some re
Martha Pastor
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Its ending was incredibly clever and unexpected. I really enjoyed it even though I disagree with the main argument.
Anastasia Chaparro
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The best book I´ve read this year. Very thick and heavy book, but from the moment you begin to read, you are so taken by its story, you end up wishing the book had a second part to it.
Sónia Coluna
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! A book everyone should definitely read.
Christy Orantes
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit long and biased on the Jewish side of the story. Like a conciliatory effort between two religions and that horrible conflict.
Egra
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-library
Historical and artistic at the same time. Telling the historical events through which the Hebrews and Palestinians have passed by seeing it in a more personal and human way, but without forgetting to transmit the effect that these events have had in the political plan. The stories of the families told here are like the voices of many people that need to be heard, so history doesn't repeat itself.
"There are moments in life when you have to decide: kill or get killed", this is the argument that j
Alexa
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was introduced to me by a colleague and it was the first time I came across the author's name. To say I was surprised at the exasutive details that were put into the story is to say the least. I was intrigued by the story, especially by what the characters had to endure and by the end of the novel, I was left in tears with a box of tissues beside me. It's a very interesting method in telling the story of three full generations. However, with so much going on, so much history details t ...more
Bea Pimentel
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it

If you’ve ever wanted to understand the origin behind the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, this is a good place to start. The story begins with an NGO aid worker who is asked to report on the illegal Jewish settlements on Palestinian territories. To do so, she interviews Ezekiel Zucker, an elderly Jewish gentleman whose grandparent’s lived through unspeakable horrors in Russia until they fled to the Promised Land. Here Samuel Zucker bought land from an Arab landowner and settled alongside the Ziad
Leon van Rossum
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing fiction, bringing together two things that are not easily combined: the Jewish and Arab narrative.

The writer is able to provide you both with an understanding of the Jewish history and suffering that resulted in the deep determination for a homeland, as well as the resulting pain inflicted on the Arab population that were suddenly strangers in their own country. I have lived in Israel as an master exchange student, and visited the West Bank several times. I’ve talked to one of the chi
Jo Farrar
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marta
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
As other books from this genre, this novel was very interesting and informative. It started around the 1870s in a village of the Russian Empire (currently in Poland) and followed Samuel Zucker, his family and the Ziad family all the way to Palestine/Israel after WWII. Amazing.
Thanks to this book I learnt a lot about the levant region's vicissitudes and history, and I can now say I can appreciate the tip of the iceberg that is the Palestinian/Israeli conflict.
I recommend it 100% even if it takes
Carol CC
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fiction
I LOVED IT!!!
It made my top 10 list of favorite books!!!!!!!!!
I love this story because is a story about people and about relationships.
It's been a long time since I have read a fiction book with such believable characters, nothing like many stories that have villains, who are always bad, mean, and despicable, and good, noble, and admirable heroes. The characters are well developed and very much human.
I loved the historical part and it has helped me understand the conflict better than anything I
Mauricio Lastra
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For all the people interested in the history about muslims and jews, and how they have lived together for centuries, this is the book. Julia Navarro made an amazing job, while witting this novel where she showed us, how religion and politics have influenced the mindset of entire communities, in a very bad way. This novel also explained the history of jews, and why they have been stigmatized for hundreds of years.
Adolfo Builes
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great historical novel by Julia Navarro. Her books are really long but the amount of details she puts in her stories makes it worth it.

This book will walk you through the history of the Jewish people, how they end up moving to Palestine and the dynamics between the people who used to live there and the ones who considered it also their land even though they were expelled from it over 2000 years ago.

Alejandro Sánchez
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely great book. Very powerful narrative on both sides of the Israel-Palestina conflict, starting with the late XIX pogroms against Jewish in Europe. The author deep dives into how both Jewish and Palestinian Arabs live together beginning of XX Century, sharing land, culture, friends, etc. and how things get complicated with the massive arrival of Jews throughout the decades, WWII, etc.
Bonnie
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in Spanish (un gran desafío). It is the best explanation of the Israel/ Palestine situation that I’ve read, fiction or non-fiction, in any language. The characters are beautifully and sympathetically drawn, and the futility of the political situation becomes evident in the lives of normal everyday people. It’s a historical novel on a grand scale.
Juls
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Through the intertwined stories of four generations of two families, a Jew one and an Arab Palestinian one, Julia Navarro shows the “poliedric truth” of the origin of the Israel conflict, and the Jew persecution of the last years in Russia and in the Second Wold War.

Through most of it, the book hasn’t drawn me it - there is not a mystery that keeps you caught. So if that is what you’re looking for I would not recommend it. But if you want to get a “first-hand” view on the conflict
Tatiana
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I listened to the book on audible and it was LONG! Overall the story is very interesting but I did get a little bored in the middle and couldn't keep the generations of family straight. Still worth the listen.
Jaime Solari
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very good novel that helped me understand the conflict in Palestine. Very tragic, very emotional and very human narrative. I enjoyed immensely despite that most of it is very sad. Fully recommended.
Flaco Lacayo
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found it well worth my time. Fascinating and rich. The characters are complex and engaging. I particularly liked the fact that the the same story is told from different and antagonist it perspectives. I feel I understand better the conflict in the the Middle East.
Miyuki
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best part of this book is the last 30 pages.... She is my favorite Spanish writer. Very rich vocabulary and appreciated her precise and deep study for the history when she applies it to her nobel.
Karen Vega
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book, it takes you to walk through Russia, Spain, France, in ways you can not imagine to see a part of the harsh war between Palestinians and Israelites. Love it, love it , love it.
Remedios Carmona
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is an emotive story between friends with different backgrounds and fates, told as a conversation between people who have both sides of the story, and it is helpful to understand the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Marina Patallo
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book
It portrays so good the beginning of the complicated relation between Jewish and Palestinians
Since the Russian zares times until today
Enjoyed it from the beginning till the last surprising line.
« previous 1 3 next »
Compañeros de lec...: Dispara, yo ya estoy muerto de Julia Navarro 43 82 Jan 26, 2018 11:34AM

• Pasión india
  • La catedral del mar (La catedral del mar, #1)
  • El sari rojo
  • Patria
  • La sombra del viento de Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Guía de lectura): Resumen y análisis completo
  • The Time in Between
  • Las hijas del capitán
  • El imperio eres tú
  • La sospecha de Sofía
  • Los pilares de la tierra I (Parte 1 de 3)
  • La reina descalza
  • Yo, Julia (Julia Domna #1)
  • Reina roja (Antonia Scott, #1)
  • El guardián invisible (Trilogía del Baztán #1)
  • El silencio de la ciudad blanca (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #1)
  • Los renglones torcidos de Dios
  • Ofrenda a la tormenta (Trilogía del Baztán, #3)
  • Africanus: El hijo del cónsul (Publio Cornelio Escipión, #1)
Julia Navarro (Madrid, 1953) lleva más de treinta años dedicada al periodismo trabajando en los principales medios de comunicación de este país, tanto en prensa escrita como en radio y televisión.

Después de publicar varios libros de actualidad política como Nosotros, la transición; Entre Felipe y Aznar; La izquierda que viene, y Señora presidenta, se atrevió con la novela y consiguió un éxito sin

News & Interviews

“Admiro tu capacidad para ponerte en la piel de los demás, para comprender sus razones. Sólo se puede vencer a los adversarios si uno es capaz de pensar como ellos, de lo contrario uno termina engañándose a sí mismo.” 17 likes
“Nadie puede salir indemne de tanto sufrimiento.
—La cuestión es aprender a vivir con ello-”
12 likes