Start by marking “Honor Among Thieves (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #2)” as Want to Read:
Honor Among Thieves (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #2)

Honor Among Thieves

(Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion #2)

Nebula and Hugo Award nominees Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck—writing as James S. A. Corey—make their Star Wars debut in this brand-new epic adventure featuring Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia Organa. The action begins after the destruction of the Death Star in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope.

When the Empire threatens the galaxy’s new hope, will Han, Luke, and
Published March 4th 2014 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Honor Among Thieves, please sign up.

Start your review of Honor Among Thieves (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #2)
Alejandro
Do you enjoy good Han Solo's stories? Well, this isn't one of them.

This is the second novel in a book event of "Star Wars" titled "Empire and Rebellion". Three books, each centered in one of the "Big Three": Luke, Leia and Han.

This book is centered on Han Solo. (or at least it was supposed to be the original intention, but I feel that it wasn't acomplished.)

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY HAN SOLO...

The Expanded Universe of Star Wars has offered a lot of great original characters on each side of th
Dan Schwent
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
In the aftermath of The Battle of Yavin, Han Solo takes on a new mission for the Rebel Alliance: pick up a spy named Scarlet Hark on a planet in Imperial space. Since things are rarely simple, he finds a couple bounty hunters that want to take him back to Jabba the Hutt, Scarlet Hark, and the existence of an ancient device the Empire could use to control all of hyperspace travel. Can the legendary smuggler and his Wookie save the day?

There have been a couple periods in my life where I was convin
Rob
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rob by: Tom
Executive Summary: This is a short but fun book that has finally given me the itch to read Star Wars Books.

Audio book: The audiobook is awesome. The End. I'm told the sound effects and the music are normal for Star Wars books. It seems well done here and not overused/distracting. Marc Thompson is an awesome narrator. He does voices for all the characters, including Chewbacca. What's better than reading about a singing Wookie? Hearing it!

His Han Solo does remind me a bit of Peter Griffin for som
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"The vast, dark ocean of space glittered with light. Each star was the chance of a habitable planet or moon, an independent station or asteroid base. The brightness beckoned and consoled, promising that there was life and energy and civilization all around. That the void could be overcome. And when the violence that life and stars carried with them was too much, the emptiness also offered safety."

As I write this review, Star Wars day is officially minutes away. I'm wearing a Star Wars shirt, dri
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

I've been a reader for as long as I remember, but science fiction is still a relatively new genre for me. In fact, I don't think I started until I well into my high school years, and back then, I remember cutting my teeth on novelizations of the Star Wars prequel movies. There you go, my not-so-secret confession!

Obviously, I've branched out a lot more since those days, but I still retained my love for Star Wars books. To d
Chris
3.5 stars.

I received a free eARC copy of this book from NetGalley.

When I saw that James S.A. Corey was doing a Star Wars novel, I was excited. I'd read Leviathan Wakes and liked it a bunch. So how would that translate to the Star Wars universe?

Very well, as it turned out. Abraham and Franck (the duo behind the Corey pseudonym) do well with crafting characters in a complex, yet easy to grasp setting. This is told from Han Solo's viewpoint, and they were able to give us a nice look inside his hea
Ashley
I honestly shouldn’t be surprised that I liked this book as much as I did. James S.A. Corey’s Expanse series has crawled its way into my favorites slowly but surely, book by book. Corey has learned how to write exciting science fiction with engaging characters. Their* dialogue is differentiated and entertaining (and character illuminating), and their prose has the perfect balance of authorial voice and mimicry for the tone of the Star Wars universe and its characters. Their Han Solo is spot-on. ...more
James
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to James by: NetGalley
I'd never really been a Star Wars fan. Obviously, as a child, I went to see the three original movies with my dad. I mean, everybody went to first three movies. But unlike other people, they didn't really stay with me into my adult life. I didn't bother to see the second three movies. I'd never read any of the novels nor did I have any real desire to. Instead, I'd always rather enjoyed the quote from Harrison Ford: "George, you can type this shit, but you can't say it!" So when I saw this book o ...more
Nathan
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fantasy Review Barn

Oh boy, Star Wars goodness. Can I start by saying what a pleasure it is to actually look Honor Among Thieves forward to new Star Wars books again? Martha Wells really got me excited again, and of course having James S. A. Corey (writing duo Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck) attached to the follow up upped the excitement even more. No more seeing a new release and reading it only so I can keep up with the damn story, now I see a new release and say ‘oh boy oh boy.’ Just like it use
Laura Johnson
Mar 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
I have read my fair share of Star Wars books because I LOVE SW, but there are many SW authors and books that I have not read. If you are new to SW fiction, or have read only a few novels of the Expanded Universe, my advice would be to skip this book and check out some of the others first. There is such a wide spectrum of writers, styles, types of plots, and characters that there is probably something for everyone. This one just wasn't for me.

My husband gave me this ebook as a birthday gift so I
Scott Rhee
Jun 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I was excited to read "Honor Among Thieves" after seeing that it was penned by James S.A. Corey (yes, that James S.A. Corey, the pseudonym for the writing team of Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck whose eight-book The Expanse series is one of the best sci-fi book series currently going), but the only thing it managed to do successfully was disappoint.

Don't get me wrong: it's not a bad Star Wars novel. It's just not that exceptional or memorable. It's certainly not as good as I would have expected fro
Eric
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
Having never read a Star Wars novel, I wasn't sure exactly what I was getting into. Were the lot of them just poorly thought out pulp slogs churned out to cash in on the franchise's fame? I doubted it after seeing James S.A. Corey's name on it cover of this one, as Corey is the writing team behind the Leviathan Wakes series. While I didn't like the first book in that series enough to keep going with it, having read it made it clear that a) they could write well and b) they loved science fiction. ...more
Stephen Richter
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Thrown to the curb by the Great Star Wars Purge of the Extended Universe 2014, still a great read brought to you by the guys who gave us the Expanse Series. Loads of fun and the narration of the audio was fantastic. You get Han and Chewy off to do the Rebel Alliance bidding depite Hans desire to do anything but. Set between New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, a good quest plot with lots of danger.
Nicole
This book is delightful; it's made me really happy. It's old-school Star Wars and everything I love about the Galaxy Far, Far Away. Some of it's even better than the original. The writing is really good. The plot is fun, the interaction of characters is well-done and the dialogue is fabulous. The characterization of Han Solo is excellent. I'm biased, but it has always irritated me when he's depicted as basically a lucky idiot. Here, we see his intelligence and complexity. Sure, he tends to cover ...more
Tom
audio book read by Marc Thompson

Honor Among Thieves is a great Star Wars book. This is the second book of the Empire and Rebellion trilogy but fear not, there is no overarching plot to worry about and the only thing relating the two books so far is just that they take place between Episodes 4 and 5. The plot is pretty decent but whatever it may lack is completely made up for in the characterization and interaction of the characters I didn't realize I was missing in other Star Wars novels. The ch
DiscoSpacePanther
Written by James S. A. Corey (the pen name for the guys that are writing The Expanse series of novels), Star Wars: Honor Among Thieves is a Legends novel that as far as I can tell has zero (or at least entirely minimal) contradiction to the current Disney canon. That, plus the fact that it is a great, quick read, should be recommendation enough to all fans of Star Wars novels, new and old alike.

This is a short novel (less than 250 pages), but for me it really hit the spot. Written entirely from
Nico
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
ARC provided by NetGalley:

This was actually the first Star Wars novel I ever read, only watched the movies. The only reason I tried it, is the fact that James S.A. Corey wrote it and I love their work, especially that of Daniel Abraham.
Though writing in a big genre like Star Wars and the ensuing tight framework certainly limits the creative freedoms they normalcy have, so I scaled down my expectations.
And the story turned out just like I expected. Nothing too bad, but nothing to get too excited
Donna
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The only way to do these Star Wars books is on audio because of the sound effects. Usually I find sound effects annoying, but not in Star Wars books. Although, I have to say, Chewbacca impersonations in this one was more than a little lacking. It was so bad. I've only read a handful of Star Wars books and they all had Chewy down pat, so why not with this one?

Other than the poor Chewbacca imitation, I liked this. I like Han. He made me laugh. I also enjoyed the story. It had a nice pace. There w
Arnold Corso
"Honor Among Thieves" is the second in DelRey's "Empire & Rebellion" Star Wars novels set in the Original Trilogy era, this time focusing on Han Solo. This is also the first Star Wars novel from S.A. Corey. Here are my thoughts:

THE PLOT

The story is apparently set sometime after Choices of One but before Razor's Edge. The Rebels are still looking for a planet to house their new base. Meanwhile, Princess Leia asks Han and Chewbacca to take the Millennium Falcon to the planet Cioran in order to ret
Althea Ann
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entry into the Star Wars universe that exceeds its ‘commercial product’ requirements – this is, on its own merits, a solid novel that provides both non-stop action and food for thought.
It also does a great job of providing an episode that fits perfectly and believably into the Star Wars timeline – and even a nod to the fact that the events described here aren’t mentioned during subsequent episodes. (So many wild events; so many crazy stories.)
This wild story: Han Solo is sent on a mission to
Desiré R
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
This was a gripping, entertaining Han and Chewie adventure, and one that provided excellent insight into our favourite smuggler's mind. I loved getting to see the narrative peeling off his self-admitted layers, contemplating his involvement with the rebellion, his new relationships, and the man he could have been had circumstances not put him on the path of an old Jedi and an idealistic farmboy. I liked Scarlet Hark - intelligent, badass, take-no-shit female character? Yes please! It was hilario ...more
Julie
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked this out at the library as a test run to see how I liked James S.A. Corey, since I have the first three Expanse novels sitting on my shelf. I was surprised to find it was number 2 in a trilogy, but even more surprised to find that this trilogy got split up by the Legends/canon break in 2014. Books 1 and 2 had already come out, and they ended up editing book 3 so it would be official canon before releasing it. That book is Heir to the Jedi, which I'd already read. It makes plenty of sens ...more
Thomas
This is my first Corey novel. It isn't the first one I've wanted to read (The Expanse is on my list), but it's the first one I've read, though it certainly won't be my last. This is the kind of Star Wars novel I'm most interested in -- the one where an established science fiction author tackles the Expanded Universe.

This is a pretty impressive read, not just because the authors capture the characters of Han, Leia, and Luke so well, nor because they give the story an appropriate sense of humor. T
Steve Davala
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great standalone story with the original heroes... plus one. This takes place after A New Hope and follows Han and Chewie on a series of adventures with a rebel spy, Scarlet Hark. I really dug the times when Leia and Luke showed up, it really felt like the characters would act in the movies.
The plot is ok, some ancient artifact they're after. But it's the ways that the characters act that sells this story for me. Luke is Luke. Han is Han.
Yes the original Star Wars trilogy is about ships and e
Jackie
Sep 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't explain how much I was highly anticipating this book. I'm a die hard Han fan and when I heard there was going to be a Solo-specific book, I was thrilled. Even more so, despite my love of Timothy Zahn, the other recent Solo themed SW book Star Wars: Scoundrels failed me (Ocean's 11 capper that didn't even really focus in Han at all). After reading the first Leia-focused Empire and Rebellion Razor's Edge, I was even more excited. That book was very well written by Martha Wells so I had hig ...more
Scott Firestone
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a ton of book in the Star Wars Universe, but I've read enough to know they're hit-and-miss. Sometimes the problem is that the author seems more of a fan than a FAN. The two authors who make up James S.A. Corey are FANS, and it makes all the difference.

Han is sent on a rescue mission to bring a spy in from the cold. But it turns out her secrets can mean changing the destiny of every man, woman, and child in the universe. So Han and Scarlet (the spy) head off on a world-hopping adv
Joe Davoust
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was fun. Lots of true-to-character familiar Star Wars heroes were mixed in with some interesting new ones. The focus is on Han Solo and how he is torn between making money, escaping bounty hunters, and helping Leia and her rebellion. This book delves deeper into his reasons for what he does than what can be explained in the movies or even some of the other novels. There is lots of movie/video game-style vintage Star Wars action that had me wanting to read more.
Online Eccentric Librarian