Start by marking “Such Sweet Sorrow” as Want to Read:
Such Sweet Sorrow

Such Sweet Sorrow

Never was there a tale of more woe than this of Juliet and her Romeo…But true love never dies. Though they’re parted by the veil between the world of mortals and the land of the dead, Romeo believes he can restore Juliet to life, but he’ll have to travel to the underworld with a thoroughly infuriating guide.

Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, may not have inherited his father’s cro
Published February 4th 2014 by Entangled: Teen

Start your review of Such Sweet Sorrow
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies

There is so much going on in this book. You have your main cast of leading Shakespearean characters (Hamlet, Juliet, Romeo to name a few), throw them into a bizarre underworld filled with Norse mythology, Greek mythology, and elements of Celtic mythology and Jewish mythology and what you have is a mess. But it's a really interesting mess.

Valkyries, Frost Giants, Fire Giants, the Washerwoman, the Norns, Fenrir, the Sirens, berserkers, shades. You name it, you've got it. This book also takes a lib
Nenia ✨️ The Trash Empress ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

SUCH SWEET SORROW is one of the weirdest fantasy novels I've ever read, and I honestly kind of loved that about it. The book is about Hamlet and Romeo making an unlikely alliance to go into an underworld rooted in Greek and Norse mythology, braving trials and dangers to rescue Juliet and bring her back.

Hamlet, when we meet him, is still grieving over the loss of his father and filled with fury over Claudius's betrayal. He's not just the
Anne
Also reviewed for Addicted2Heroines

The beautiful cover sucked me in...I admit it.
And really, it's got such an interesting premise, that I couldn't help but want to read it. Romeo and Juliet plus Hamlet? Cool! I didn't even realize that it would be incorporating Norse mythology, but that was also a bonus!
So why only 3 stars?
Hmmm.
I'm not sure really.
The author is talented, and if you've ever read her blog, you'll probably agree that she's quite a funny lady. But for some reason this story just did
Farrah
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, retellings
Dark, romantic, and absolutely amazing! Such Sweet Sorrow was a brilliant YA romance/retelling. I absolutely loved this book! From the depiction of Shakespeare's characters, to the thrills, to the unexpected twist, this book was perfection.

I have to admit, I was a bit worried going in to this book. The author was taking on huge characters and changing their stories. And, because of how much I adore Shakespeare, it would only have taken one slip for me to be completely turned off from the book. B
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Such Sweet Sorrow is quite literally an unwritten sequel to Romeo and Juliet coinciding with Hamlet with a dark twist, or in other words, a bridge between the end of one Shakespeare play and the beginning of another.

I personally liked Trout’s version of Romeo as he journeys to Denmark in the quest to save Juliet from death - he's much more spu
Kelly Sierra
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, arc
This sounds like it can go horribly wrong... like a train wreck, but I can be wrong, so I am going to read it.

EDIT: 2/3/2014

The premise of this book scared me. Imagine being told that someone took Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet and created an alternative story... what would you honestly think. My first reaction was to be nervous, it was going to be a train wreck or possibly very unique. I was both surprised and also disappointed.

Such Sweet Sorrow takes place a couple of days after Juliet sought the
Jessica *The Lovely Books*
I have never been much of a Romeo and Juliet fan. I hated beyond hated that they committed suicide over love. It made me angry and mad that someone could do that. It wasn't until I got a little bit older that I was able to understand and acknowledge why they did what they did. I didn't agree but I also didn't hate that they both died over one another. I saw the tragedy and the heartache. I feel that same love Romeo felt for Juliet, only it's a motherly love.

Hamlet, I never got into that story u
Gwen TBD
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is bizarre, I struggled to read through it. Where is the creativity in naming the characters in this book Romeo, Juliet and Hamlet? The first part of the book, the characters Romeo and Hamlet wander around cluelessly through Afterjord, it got boring rather fast. I struggled through the rest.

This book is very twisted, it integrated two well known classic books into an extremely bizarre tale, almost like a continuation of 'Romeo and Juliet' and oh yeah, let's throw in 'Hamlet'.

The ending
Katie Bodden
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I really enjoyed this book. cool way to twist Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet together. I thought it was interesting how they took pieces and meshed it together. Was hoping there was another book in the series, but guess not. I really loved the Viking mythology in it too. Really fun book!
books are love
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Received in exchange for a honest review.

This is imaginative and amazing. I love that Hamlet leads Romeo into the underworld that is based on mythology and we see love rule out. I can honestly say I felt so bad for Hamlet. He begins more as a selfish cad but during his journey to help Romeo find Juliet and bring her back he grows and matures. He realizes what it means to be king and a friend. He learns that he has been selfish in many ways and he learns friendship and trust. Yes he had a little
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Here is a fact, I love retellings. Another fact? I love Romeo and Juliet. I know what you are thinking, why in the world do you love a tale so full of foolishness and woe? Why love something that only ends in heartache, despair and death?

The simple answer, love. I love a good love story. I eat them up. I devour them and I can never get enough of them. I love a good tale about star crossed lovers and while I normally love a happy ending, there is just something to be said about Juliet and her Rom
Rebecca
In a twist on the classic story, Juliet died, but Romeo didn't. Consulting a witch about how to get Juliet back, Romeo learns that he must find a northern land with a murdered king--and surprise, surprise, Hamlet's dead father has just shown him a gateway into the underworld at Elsinore. Hamlet didn't intend to go with Romeo--they disliked each other on sight--but Romeo pulls him in and then they're stuck in the bizarre and deadly realms beyond, searching both for Juliet and for a way out--and s ...more
Jacquie Bolton
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-releases, arcs
O... M... G! How could you NOT love that blurb!? I literally freaked out trying to get on Netgalley to request this. When they approved me, if I had been ABLE to do cartwheels, I would have been cartwheeling all over the place like a cheerleader on crack. I mean, c'mon, Shakespeare, Mythology, JENNY TROUT! OMG!

And of course, it's Jenny Trout, and she does NOT disappoint. I absolutely adored this story. The whole concept of Romeo not dying and venturing into the Afterjord to find Juliet is intere
Mutmainna
I've never liked Romeo and Juliet much. Though I have a huge likeness for romance books, but the story of Romeo and Juliet wasn't really for me. Unlike that though, this one was far better.

The story started off quite well. Romeo's determination to find Juliet was really described very nicely. Although the characters of Romeo and Hamlet felt a little flat at first and was hard to relate to, the storyline covered it up well.

The theme of underworld was really interesting. I always have a fascinatio
Bailey Peyton
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Though the rating does not inspire much confidence, I did have a good time with this! I was just rifling through Romeo and Juliet retellings here on good ol' Goodreads (as you do), and came across this thing; the cover makes no real sense (the darkness, sure, but the rings/fashion look far too modern and copy pasted from Shay Lynam's Never) but you know the saying. Hamlet and Romeo team up into Afterjord (AKA the Underworld) to save Juliet and avenge H's dead dad? It's so cracked out and fan fic ...more
Mitchii
I’m always been intrigued with all these Romeo and Juliet retellings. I haven’t read the original and I’m bit intimidated to start tbqh; so to compensate with that I decided to try retellings. Such Sweet Sorrow by Jenny Trout sounded really intriguing. The concept of meshing two popular novels is a very grand idea. And we all know how tragic the ending for couple of Shakespeare’s famous work. With all these things in mind I decided to try.

Well, the thing is, it’s just good. It wasn’t mind blowi
Tati
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is, essentially, two pieces from Shakespeare meeting, namely, Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet. I’ve never read them, but I am familiar with them (Romeo and Juliet more so than Hamlet). The synopsis also looked promising, so I decided to request this book. It turned out to be an okay read.

I don’t really know why, but it just didn’t click with me. It was not lack of action, as this book has plenty of action. It also has plenty of mythological elements, which I usually love. Maybe it was just too
Sam
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
Honestly the first 70% of this book had me prepared for a 3 star rating, maybe a 3.5, but the final 30% bumped it up to a 4 star. As much as I enjoy Shakespeare, I have always found Romeo to be such a whiny impulsive young man...and for the majority of the book it seemed he would remain that way, but he grew there at the end. Combining R&J and Hamlet was interesting and I loved the combating theologies/mythologies. Juliet proved to be one of the strongest characters and I found that to be awesom ...more
Ellen
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-arc
Romeo and Juliet with monsters, mythology and more - who wouldn't be intrigued. I hate to say that I am not a Romeo and Juliet fan, nevertheless, I couldn't resist reading this novel and discovering the unique take Jennifer Trout has created with this timeless love story. Not only do we have Romeo and Juliet, but Trout has also incorporate Hamlet in the mix as well. Stir that all together with witches, sirens, monsters, and ghosts, and add a measure of mythology and the result cooks up to be a p ...more
Lynndell
Thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing for the free digital book of Such Sweet Sorrow by Jenny Trout! I was instantly intrigued by the story in the prologue because I knew I would be discovering what happens after Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet ends. Then, the first chapter brings Hamlet into the after mix and his story begins where Shakespeare's Hamlet left off. I was pulled in even more! Romeo and Hamlet travel through Valhalla to try to complete their individual missions and they deal w ...more
Jo
Feb 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
What a fantastic premise... Hamlet and Romeo searching the underworld for Juliet. There are many tests they must face before they can be released. The writing was solid and the pacing good. It made me go back and brush up on my Shakespeare. I did notice that Juliet's age was bumped up from 13 to 15. I don't why that makes it more acceptable for her to be married to Romeo, but for some reason it does. She is smart and determined, and I like that in a character.
Brynn
Jan 17, 2020 is currently reading it
I get it, Hamlet is mad. There are other adjs out there
Rebecca
Aug 01, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: out-in-2014
This cover reminds me of Masque of the Red Death. ...more
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Never was there a tale of more woe than this of Juliet and her Romeo.

Best Shakespeare play ever, Romeo and Juliet, how I love thee! Hamlet is pretty great too, I mean come on the Prince is totally insane what's not to love about it? BUT in this book, it's like what would have happened if Romeo woke from the poisoning to find that Juliet had killed herself and hadn't actually been dead from the start? What if Hamlet embraced the fact that he could speak with the dead? What if Romeo and Hamlet bec
Candace Wondrak
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I dived into this right after reading Paradox. This was another cheap find for me (as in, less than a dollar), and it was pretty much a cover buy (unlike Paradox). It was probably the best dollar I've ever spent on a book I've never heard of.

This has a bit of everything. Shakespeare characters, Valkyries, Sirens, and Norse gods (and a bunch of other stuff I'm surely forgetting). Seriously, I wasn't expecting this book to be so jam-packed with different things. In some reviews, readers marked it
Colleen
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-bookshelf
4.5 Stars. I really enjoyed they way Trout wove Shakespeare and Mythology together.
Abby
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-fiction
This was delightful. Thoroughly enjoyed
Angel Lederhause
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
If youd like a different twist on Romeo and Juliet this book is for you. For some reason I had a hard time reading it but it was good. Just not my type of book I guess.
BookHookup
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
The original review of this title can be found here on The Book Hookup.

Christina's Review:

**SPECIAL NOTE:** An eARC of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. However, that did not influence this review in any way. All thoughts, quotes, and opinions will be of this version and not of the published edition.

Initial Thoughts and Rating: 3 stars! I feel like my rating doesn’t really reflect the worth of this novel. I applaud the author for her imaginative
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Boss (The Boss, #1)
  • Bad Boy Good Man
  • Reason for Hope: A Spiritual Journey
  • Working for Her Dad's Best Friend
  • Temporary Position (Tempting Temps)
  • Loving Mr. Cane (Cane, #3)
  • Paying Off Her Dad's Best Friend
  • Daddy's Best Friend: A May-December Romance (Temperance Falls: Experience Counts Book 1)
  • Loving My Best Friend's Dad
  • Hold On to Me
  • Dad's Billionaire Buddy
  • Her Best Friend's Dad
  • Dark-Adapted Eyes
  • Daddy's Best Friend (A Spoiled Brat Series #1)
  • Caught by My Dad's Best Friend
  • Eat Me: Connections #1
  • Her Dad's Friend
  • Being Mrs. Cane (Cane, #3.5)
Jenny Trout is a writer, blogger, and funny person.

Writing as Jennifer Armintrout, she made the USA Today Bestseller list with Blood Ties Book One: The Turning. Her novel American Vampire was named one of the top ten horror novels of 2011 by Booklist Magazine Online.

Jenny also writes award-winning erotic romance as Abigail Barnette.

When she’s not writing, she’s sleeping or otherwise incapacitated.