Start by marking “Forged in Dreams and Magick (Highland Legends, #1)” as Want to Read:
Forged in Dreams and Magick (Highland Legends, #1)

Forged in Dreams and Magick

(Highland Legends #1)

The award-winning debut in the Highland Legend Series:

Found in the arms of her second soul mate . . .

Forced to balance the delicate strands of time between two millennia
Published September 23rd 2013 by Kat Bastion (first published September 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Forged in Dreams and Magick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forged in Dreams and Magick

Gina
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: highlander
This book started out great for me, the writing was excellent, it grabbed me and i fell right into the story. Isobel is an archeologist studying ancient Scotland. And while visiting family she stumbles on a old and unique box. The box fascinates her and she decides to sneak it out of Scotland back to California to have her professor look at it (I am pretty sure this is illegal, but on with the review).

While in his office waiting for him, her friend Iain walks in, since he is Scottish she hopes h
Talltree
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-menage
5 stars for the fascinating historical authenticity,
4 stars for the romance, although the ending didn't feel right...
Leslie
4 1/2 Stars!!

Holy Highlands!! *cheshire grin*

I'll admit the blurb intrigued me on this one...mostly because it's premise reminded me of Gabaldon's Outlander series. I mean, what woman doesn't love Hunky Scottish lairds and warriors who radiate leadership, pheromones and lust? Yeah, that's right...they're rampant in this book and what's even better, enjoyed by one seriously kick-bottom heroine. Oh...and it's true what they say about the Scottish Highlands - they're filled with beautiful magic...a
Alexandra Richland
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’m going to start off by saying that I generally do not read paranormal romance novels. Nothing against them. They are just not my go-to genre when I’m looking for a new book to read.

I was offered the opportunity to read the ARC for Forged in Dreams and Magick in exchange for an honest review. After reading the summary, I was eager to give the novel a chance despite the genre, which, right off the bat, was a strong indication that I was going to be thoroughly impressed with Kat Bastion’s work.
Krissys
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: featured-books, star
Forged in Dreams and Magick (Highland Legends #1) by Kat Bastion Author: Kat Bastion Title: Forged in Dreams and Magick Series: Highland Legends Cover Rating: Book Rating: Buy This Book:

Isobel MacInnes wakes up in present-day California, lunches in medieval Scotland, and by ten days’ end, falls in love with a man and his country, only to lose them in a heart-wrenching twist of fate . . . Found in the arms of her second soul mate . . . Forced to balance the delicate strands of time between two
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
A love(s) that transcends time. *Sigh* There is just something about the romance of the highlands that sucks me into a story. The mystery, atmosphere and sexy warriors of old. Alpha males and damsels in distress, a winning combo. Forged in Dreams and Magick is so much more than a highland fairytale.

Isobel stumbles on a box that has been handed down, cherished and even stolen by chieftains for centuries. It brings his soul mate to him through time and space. Isobel is that one true soul mate for
Jessica
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-review, arc, own
Isobel MacInnes travels to Scotland to visit her ill grandfather, but realizes he’s on his deathbed. Shortly afterwards, she decides to explore the area and begins to experience car trouble. Frustrated she gets out of the vehicle, begins to walk and is lost in her thoughts. She trips and finds herself in a creek where she stumbles upon a strange looking box and as an archeology student she’s intrigued. Taking the box back to the US, she hopes her mentor can help her find its origin and what it m ...more
Jillian Stein
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
My review can also be found on my blog:
www.Read-Love-Blog.com

I have always loved stories rich with Highland legend, so when Kat asked if I would be interested in reading Forged in Dreams and Magick, I jumped at the chance. Well, this may very well be my favorite Highland adventure yet! It was phenomenal!

Isobel MacInnes has always had a deep-seated love for all things ancient. That love began as a child and after visiting the Highlands and her dying grandfather, she returns back to her position a
KathyAnne
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
**note to self** If you find a magical box buried in the dirt... run! Seriously, if I got flung to the past I would have a panic attack. I don't want to live without my dishwasher, washing machine and all of my amazing modern creature comforts! And, sadly I find myself wondering in these books how women ever coped without them. Yes, I'm spoiled... but, maybe I could make an exception if I had a hunky highlander to pawn all over me... and in this case Isobel had two hunky highlanders. That's gros ...more
Leea

Highlands at Sunset...

He whispered, “Isa, our history had been written long before it ever began.” I smiled, beaming up at him. He’d spoken the utter truth

Wow! What an adventure, that is the best way for me to describe Forged in Dreams and Magick. I started this book understanding that they're would be some time travel and heartache but I didn't know it was to this level. I was impressed with the historical accuracy and attention to detail, the imagination put into the time travel and the love
The_Book_Queen

Wow. That is all I can say--wow. Kat Bastion managed to surprise me, more than a few times actually, throughout Forged in Dreams and Magick. I was never sure what the outcome would be, much like Isa. I was swept along on an epic and magical journey, and I loved it. Every twist, every turn, every "Oh no, why did you do that?".

I fell in love with Iain. It would be hard NOT to though! He's sexy, he's loyal, he's an alpha male through and through. Oh, and he's a Highlander. Really, need I go on?

Th
Tina
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If I have to summarize this book in one word, it would be "fantastic". I got it as an ARC from Kat Bastion, and I couldn't be more grateful. Being a paranormal, mystery and romance junkie, this book satisfied my every need. As I said before, Kat has unleashed her Highlanders and she did it in style, she let them wonder in a world where times and existences are intertwined, and magic and destiny are the essence.
It starts in our time with Isobel, an archaeologist, fascinated with Scotland history
Nicole Laverdure
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Captivating Scottish time-travel adventure!
Again, an amazing Scottish medieval romance as I love them, plus it is a time-travel!
This is the first time that a read a book by Kat Bastion! What a nice surprise!
I fell in love with the characters in her book Forged in Dreams and Magick,
to be released day on September 23, 2013! First, I did not know what to expect, but as soon as I started reading, it became a page-turner very fast! It is the first book of her Highland Legends Series! It is the stor
Debra
"Forged in Dreams and Magick" is an intriguing must read!

Author Kat Bastion first debut novel is simply amazing! This author has great talent, depth and class! Her writing style is so descriptive that it makes you feel like you're right there watching each scene evolve before your eyes! I was honoured to receive this book to review and once I started I couldn't put it down!

The way the story unfolds is intriguing ....it starts off in the modern day twenty first century with a young archeology stu
Jenny
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I read this book in one sitting. It was just that good. The story was fresh and engaging. The romantic angle was unique as well. I haven't ever read a book in which the woman had two soul mates. I was completely sucked into this story. Just when I thought things were clipping along at a nice pace another twist was thrown in. I cannot wait for the rest of the story.. when it comes out.

It isn't often that I find a book that I can get so wrapped up in emotionally but man! this one does it. And the
Artemiz
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2013
Why did I requested this book from NetGalley - because the synopsis reminded me so much of one of my favorite series - Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. And you know what, it was worth it. Well, it does not go as deep and it's not as realistic as Outlander series are, but it is also about time travel, about love, about Scots ...

But there is the twist that I was not expecting and it makes the story even more interesting. Suddenly its Outlander meets Covet by J.R Ward.

So take those two series, mix them
Sheila
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An unusual novel which takes the genre along several different pathways, physically, scientifically, metaphysically and emotionally.

All the main protagonists: Isobel, Iain and Velloc had me rooting for them. However, I wanted to shake Isobel at times. As the novel is from her POV, this has both advantages and drawbacks.

She's given to very deep navel gazing and exposition, and I found myself wanting to know what her respective menfolk were doing during her time-flips ;) This aside, the love scene
Literati Literature Lovers
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 Stars Epic First Novel

Time travel has always been an interesting concept for a book, and with Forged in Dreams and Magick by Kat Bastion, you get time travel via an ancient magic box. Okay the practical girl who has a degree in history and a minor in anthropology, was aghast as the main heroine removed an archaeological find from the peat moss of Scotland. Did she not know how many laws she was breaking? Even if she had found the archaeological find of a lifetime it would be suspect, becau
Sabina Bundgaard
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Isobel MacInnes is an archaeology student, who wants to figure out what ancient secrets Scotland is hiding. It’s her passion, her life. Little does she know that she will discover some of these secrets first-hand the day she finds the mystery box. A box hidden in the side of the creek, found by accident involving a rental car, trouble with manual gear shift and a flock of sheep, the box is made of a different kind of metal and a crest that Isobel know she has seen before, but not where.

Without w
Marlene
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

This was a much wilder ride than I expected...and that’s a good thing.

Isobel MacInnes begins the story as an overachieving graduate student in archaeology, based in California, but inexorably drawn to study the history (and prehistory) surrounding her roots in Scotland.

I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say that Isobel is very much still an overachiever at the end of the story. She’s just got, well, bigger fish to fry. Possibly also bake, parboil and grill.

As
Barbee
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This review is from: Forged in Dreams and Magick (Highland Legends, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book had me captivated and very emotional throughout the book I really love that when that happens when reading a great tale as it's not a given. It's about a young woman Isabel MacInnes who comes to Scotland to say goodbye to her ailing Grandfather in Scotland. Isabel is also a student and junior archeologist assistant with a photographic memory with major in history and minor in archeology. Pretty
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Forged in Dreams and Magick is the first book in the new Highland Legends by Kat Bastion.

After discovering an ancient artifact Isobel MacInnes is taking back in time to the XIII century. After accepting time traveling is not only a possibility but a reality Isobel decides that living in the highlands is a dream come true for an archeology student. Soon after Isobel realizes that this new century not only brings new experiences but also hosts her soul mate, Iain Brodie.
Coming to terms with her ne
Deniz
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
woot woot!
just won a copy from Goodreads First Reads!
*excited!*

REVIEW

This is kind of a mix between the Time Traveler, the Highlander series and Outlander. So definitely something I would enjoy.
The story line slowly unfolded the new world and new revelations were given at each chapter. I enjoyed the way the novel is paced. It's well thought through and leaves one interested but still time to ponder things.
My biggest issue the love triangle. And this has a major one. I mean a HUGE one. It made me
Emily (Kindles & Wine Book Blog)
Reviewed here
Talk about a book for every reader, Forged in Dreams and Magick has something for everyone! It is a mix of historical fiction, paranormal romance, time travel, mystery/suspense – you name a genre, this book probably fits within it! I am a history buff and I found it incredibly interesting to read all the Scottish and Celtic history immersed through this read. I never doubted for a minute that I was getting a history lesson while being entertained.

I loved the idea of the heroine, Is
Tricia
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Isobel MacInnes is an archaeology student that finds an amazingly ornate box after she veers off the road to avoid a flock of sheep. She was excited because she thought she had found something that would propel her archaeology career to new heights. Little did she know that she would be propelled into another time and place. Twice.

While Isobel was at the archaeology department, waiting to show her professor the box, she met her Highlander friend there, Iain Brodie. Ohhhh what a man. Isobel wa
Roses Book Blog
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As an archaeology major, Isobel has always been drawn to history especially those related to Scotland. It's in Scotland saying goodbye to her final family member who is dying that a twist of fate takes her to the side of a road where she falls into a creek. It's here that she discovers an ancient box that she takes with her back home to California. No one she talks to seems to know exactly what it is that she's found so she calls her one friend who would know, rising Hollywood star Iain. Isobel ...more
Jeannie Zelos
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Forged in Dreams and Magick. Kat Bastion

ARC supplied via Netgalley.
Well, a new author, always exciting – and I love time travel books so...eagerly sped into this one. Its a terrific read, engrossing and believable. Of course fantasy novels mean suspending belief to a degree, but there still needs to be that element of realism, of being able to think something possibly could happen – and this novel does that really well.
The description covers the synopsis pretty well so I'll concentrate on the c
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
If you're looking for a romance story that spans history, look no further. Isobel is reeling from the loss of her beloved grandfather when she discovers a mysterious, ancient box that piques the curiosity of her academic side. She gets more than she bargained for, however, when she finds herself repeatedly being transported through time, drawn towards men who are supposed to be her soul mates.

Isobel is a fun, sassy main character, and I enjoyed getting to read about her transformation as she ad
Stacy Sabala
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Book Review- Forged in Dreams and Magick by Kat Bastion

Isobel MacInnes is visiting her grandfather for the last time in Scotland. He is dying and she is distraught, knowing he is the last of her family. She leaves before he slips away to allow him his dignity. As she is driving, she is fighting with the gears and almost plows through a herd of sheep standing in the road. She gains control of the car and stops on the side of the road. Getting out of the car and asking the sky if this is a lesson
Romance Schmomance (Malia)
This was my very first time travel book and I was just never sure, if I'd be a fan of all the time traveling. When I think about time travel, the movie, Time Traveler's Wife comes to mind. As much as I love that movie, it's so incredibly heartbreaking ...

Starting in the 21st century, she finds this mystical object that helps her travel between different centuries and that's when she falls in love with not only one, but two men. The reasons for the traveling isn't all revealed at once and her men
PRE-RELEASE PROMOTION! 1 4 Oct 29, 2013 05:10PM
  • The Scandal Before Christmas (The Reckless Brides, #3.5)
  • Fire of the Dragon (Bestiary, #1)
  • Brody (Circle Eight, #2)
  • Reclaimed: A Highland Historical Trilogy (Highland Historical, #4-6) (The MacKays, #1-3)
  • The Border Laird's Bride (Borderland Brides #2)
  • It Happened Under the Mistletoe (Secret Brides, #3.5)
  • Geek Girls Don't Date Dukes (Geek Girls, #2)
  • Lessons in Loving A Laird (Highland Knaves, #2)
  • The Highlander's Sin (Stolen Bride, #6)
  • Christmas Brides
  • To Sin with a Viking (Forbidden Vikings, #1)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (House of Brady, #3)
  • Texas Mail Order Bride (Bachelors of Battle Creek, #1)
  • Seven-Night Stand
  • The Rogue's Proposal (House of Trent, #2)
  • The Devil of Clan Sinclair (Clan Sinclair, #1)
  • In Love with a Wicked Man (MacLachlan Family & Friends, #9)
  • My Brave Highlander (Highland Adventure #3)
LATEST PROJECT:
LAWBREAKER, the third standalone in the Unbreakable series, a full-length new adult romance told in dual POV, coming September 17, 2018.

Kat Bastion won several awards for her bestselling debut novel Forged in Dreams and Magick.

Kat and Stone Bastion’s bestselling first novel No Weddings and the No Weddings series were named Best of 2014 by multiple romance review blogs.

When not defi

Highland Legends (4 books)
  • Bound by Wish and Mistletoe (Highland Legends #1.5)
  • Born of Mist and Legend (Highland Legends, #2)
  • Found in Flame and Moonlight (Highland Legends, #3)
“Sometimes our emotions rule us. How we handle the consequences . . . defines us.” 9 likes