Start by marking “Beautiful Old Dogs: A Loving Tribute to Our Senior Best Friends” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Old Dogs: A Loving Tribute to Our Senior Best Friends

Beautiful Old Dogs: A Loving Tribute to Our Senior Best Friends

A charming, delightfully photographed tribute to the older dog, with essays and poetry.

Gandhi once said, "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way that its animals are treated." How people regard older animals is especially revealing. Beautiful Old Dogs is a heartfelt, emotional, passionate tribute to old dogs. It will inspire many readers
Published November 5th 2013 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Old Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful Old Dogs

Start your review of Beautiful Old Dogs: A Loving Tribute to Our Senior Best Friends
Lois
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers
The wonderful photos in this book were taken by a photographer who wanted to help give old dogs a chance by bringing attention to them. The collection of stories accompanying them (tho the stories are not about these particular photos) are one or two pages long, and among the tellers are actors and writers who have loved, and often lost, old dogs. I absolutely loved this book, even as it broke my heart again and again.

Before I go on, let me say that I have always loved animals with 100% of my be
Tara
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My best friend and canine companion is in later stages of mitral valve disease. He has been my 24/7 therapist and even now in his senior years he teaches me something every day. The thought of losing him, though devastating, has been softened a bit by this book written by numerous other dog adorers. Hearing the stories of deep connection, redemption and even humor gave me a sense of community in my grief and struggle. It's also settled in my mind that I will seek out senior dogs for adoption or ...more
Andrea
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a gorgeous book - old dogs are my favourites (I live with two seniors myself and that doesn't include the husband). Gorgeous pictures, some lovely stories and a wonderful tribute to the photographer, Garry Gross.

My only disappointment was that it was a library book and I had to return it.
Annie Smith
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful stories and beautiful photos.
Anna
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful moving tribute to what are quite possibly the very best years of a dog's life - I bought a copy and have it near me always just like my beautiful old doggies.
James
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every year thousands of senior dogs are sent to animal shelters by heartless humans simply because they have grown old and no longer seem to possess the superficial qualities those humans want in dogs. Potential adopters tend to pass these old dogs by, afraid of being saddled with imagined extra vet bills.

These sweet old dogs are left alone, confused, and frightened, unable to understand whatever it was they did to lose their homes after years of love and loyalty. Sadly, these dogs are usually a
Sasha
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So I am a sucker for these types of books, especially since they are about dogs. What makes this one special is that it is a tribute to older dogs, rather than the typical books about adorable puppies.
I am not going to lie, there were times I was balling my eyes out reading this book. But it was worth it.
There are gorgeous photos, as well as stories about people finding their best mates and memorials to lost friends. What hit me the most was the "Old Dog's Lament", begging not to be thrown away
Candy
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Captivating portraits of old dogs are paired with essays about life with dogs.

It was a stretch for me to even pick this book up off the shelf, because we lost our black standard poodle, Sweetie, 20 months ago, and I am still grieving.

This book did make me cry, but I think it moved me forward in the grief process.

It was reassuring to hear others who had children who aged out and left their pets with their parents. And to hear others be reluctant to get another dog because they are afraid the do
Melissa
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wish people realized how important it is to adopt dogs, especially senior dogs. They may not be with you for long when you adopt them at an older age but just think about it, you gave them a home for the last couple of years of their life.

They may not be as fancy and fun to have like a puppy but they deserve the same kind of love that a puppy does, even if they are seniors.

Clearly I would adopt a senior dog right now if I could but a currently have a dog that likes being the only pet in the
Stella Fouts
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The senior dogs are adorable. But once you've looked at all of the pictures, please go back and read the stories. They'll probably make you cry, but isn't that what a good story will do sometimes? A particular chapter, Another Sort of Love Story by Loudon Wainwright, is sad, laugh-out-loud funny and a true celebration of the loving bond between a human and his dog.
Kayris
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you are a dog lover, or if you have loved and let go a senior dog, this book is for you. Lovely portraits of graying and grizzled, yet noble and wise dogs, with poetry, musings, etc. Lovely. I smiled, I cried.
Susan
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautiful pictures with many heart wrenching accounts of old dogs by the people who love/d them. You've gotta be a fan.
PennsyLady (Bev)
"A charming, delightfully photographed tribute to the older dog, featuring resources
for care and custody" (book jacket)

5 ★
Diane Schneider
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful photos and essays on older dogs. Everyone loves puppies, but a true dog lover knows the value of an older dog and will adore this book. Just keep the box of tissues handy.
Kim
Jan 02, 2018
Heather
Oct 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Jillaroo (Jillaroo, #1)
  • The Farmer's Wife (Jillaroo #2)
  • Cleanskin Cowgirls
  • Fifty Bales of Hay
  • The Rouseabout
  • The Stockmen
  • My Old Dog: Rescued Pets with Remarkable Second Acts
  • The Kommandant's Girl (The Kommandant's Girl, #1)
  • Death by Jack-O'-Lantern
  • Wreck the Halls: Cake Wrecks Gets "Festive"
  • The World of PostSecret
  • Soul Healing with Our Animal Companions: The Hidden Keys to a Deeper Animal-Human Connection
  • Educating Alice
  • After We Collided (After, #2)
  • Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong